• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Sonic getting cut in SSB4 would cause a massive ****storm coming from what's considered by some to be one of the worst fanbases to exist...

I shudder at the thought. I fear for the day Sonic is disconfirmed... if it happens, that is.
If Sonic is announced to be cut before the game released, I am going to make sure I stay out of video game websites for a week.

I'm really hoping that Sakurai returns Sonic. There's a lot they could do with him in the next Smash.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
In very unrelated news, Looker should be the next Pokemon rep. :awesome:

volbound1700

Smash Master
It seemed from interviews that Sakurai values third party characters mostly by the uniqueness in movesets that they bring (he commented on Megaman's unique moves no other Nintendo character can offer). Sonic is likely that way and Sakurai would not want to replace the moveset or people that play with Sonic's moveset but who knows.

I honestly would second guess buying the new Smash if Sonic was cut. Not that I am a huge fan but I would just consider it a step back in the franchise and I could use my money elsewhere.

D

Deleted member

I doubt Sonic will go.
Changed up? Perhaps.
Sonic's gained quite an arsenal of recurring abilities since Brawl. Wouldn't be surprised if he got a near overhaul. And if Mega Man's Rush Coil is essentially a remake of Sonic's Spring Jump, perhaps Sonic has a replacement. Like one of those Wisp powers I hardly know about.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
The main obstacles for Sonic is if Sakurai felt it wasn't warranted. We don't know the policy of guest characters, so we're in the dark. But I will say that because of Sonic's raw popularity, there is always the possibility of him returning. Him returning would also be a golden opportunity to "complete" the representation of the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise in Super Smash Bros.

Yeah. I'm really hoping Sakurai's policy isn't "Out with the old, in with the new". One because I don't want Sonic (Or Snake for that matter) to go, and two because I never, ever want to see Mega Man leave Smash Bros., because I essentially view him as a Nintendo character anyway.

Only time will tell I guess.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
It seemed from interviews that Sakurai values third party characters mostly by the uniqueness in movesets that they bring (he commented on Megaman's unique moves no other Nintendo character can offer). Sonic is likely that way and Sakurai would not want to replace the moveset or people that play with Sonic's moveset but who knows. I honestly would second guess buying the new Smash if Sonic was cut. Not that I am a huge fan but I would just consider it a step back in the franchise and I could use my money elsewhere.
So not having your favourite character is a step back to the franchise? OK I'll keep that in check. :rolleyes:

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Sonic's incredible popularity, the inclusion of yet another classic gaming icon for him to take on, and Nintendo and Sega's continuing partnership all combine to make him pretty safe in my eyes.

Not buying the game simply because your favorite character isn't in it would be a huge mistake. Sakurai didn't give me an Advance Wars rep in Brawl, but I still had a fantastic time with the game.

That said, it is precisely that attitude which makes losing Sonic unlikely in my eyes. He's just too popular for them to safely cut. They might see a real dent in sales.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Even though there were better RPG games available at the time, I really liked Quest 64 regardless. A Virtual Console release would make my day.

Same.

Unlikely due to the Memory Card thing, but if non-Nintendo people can get the Emulator to do this... they got zero excuse.

It's also unlikely since the series has no ownership right now. So it depends who buys it.

As for Sonic, I extremely doubt him leaving. Also, Sakurai called the Assist Trophies guest characters too, so he's probably clarifying now that Guest and Third Party are somewhat different terms.

volbound1700

Smash Master
By the way here is a list of third party characters I think would be great option for Smash based on move-set potential, characterization, etc. This is irregardless of their affiliation with Nintendo and is in no particular order.

1. Sonic
2. Megaman
3. Pac-Man
4. Rayman
5. Crash Bandicoot
6. Banjo-Kazooie
7. Professor Layton
8. Llyod Irving - Tales of Symphonia
9. Commander Keen
10. Simon Belmont
11. Digdug
12. Earthworm Jim
13. Sora
14. Cloud
15. Bomberman
16. Ristar
17. Sackboy
18. Ratchet

All of these big names would fit great in Smash Brothers if their company was interested and this would be my list. Now certain characters would have precedence over others. I know I missed someone so feel free to jump in.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Sonic's incredible popularity, the inclusion of yet another classic gaming icon for him to take on, and Nintendo and Sega's continuing partnership all combine to make him pretty safe in my eyes.

Not buying the game simply because your favorite character isn't in it would be a huge mistake. Sakurai didn't give me an Advance Wars rep in Brawl, but I still had a fantastic time with the game.

That said, it is precisely that attitude which makes losing Sonic unlikely in my eyes. He's just too popular for them to safely cut. They might see a real dent in sales.

Not if I am getting married and have a house, etc. It is called saving money and spending it on next Summer's vacation. Good Chance if I don't get Smash, I won't get a Wii U. I actually have PS3 as a priority to get now because I want a Blue Ray player and it has Diablo III coming out for it so I don't have to buy a new PC to run D3. It also has NCAA Football games, The Last of Us, Sonic Generations, and tons of other games Nintendo doesn't have and I currently do not have a Sony system. I also plan on getting a new TV, paying off another College Loan. If I get a Wii U it is over a year away and if this Smash doesn't seem interesting, I won't buy it. I am kind of on the fence now because I feel like I am too old to buy a New Smash game. I work so much, I really don't even have time to play my current Wii.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
By the way here is a list of third party characters I think would be great option for Smash based on move-set potential, characterization, etc. This is irregardless of their affiliation with Nintendo and is in no particular order.

1. Sonic
2. Megaman
3. Pac-Man
4. Rayman
5. Crash Bandicoot
6. Banjo-Kazooie
7. Professor Layton
8. Llyod Irving - Tales of Symphonia
9. Commander Keen
10. Simon Belmont
11. Digdug
12. Earthworm Jim
13. Sora
14. Cloud
15. Bomberman
16. Ristar
17. Sackboy
18. Ratchet

All of these big names would fit great in Smash Brothers if their company was interested and this would be my list. Now certain characters would have precedence over others. I know I missed someone so feel free to jump in.
Where's Snake?

volbound1700

Smash Master
Where's Snake?
I don't think he is a good fit for Smash and here is my reasoning.

Snake is a serious fighting character along the lines of Masterchief, James Bond, Tomb Raider, etc. Smash is a silly beat them up game that mostly features Disney/Cartoony like characters. Granted we do get medieval role-playing kind of characters but overall most of the series represented in Smash (in fact all of them minus MGS at the moment) appeal to audience of all ages or younger ages.

Therefore the focus would be on popular characters that are from G related series and not FPS or Action/Combat series.

If you add Snake, then you can add Masterchief, Doomguy, Scorpion, Ryu, Duke Nukem, etc.

volbound1700

Smash Master
So not having your favourite character is a step back to the franchise? OK I'll keep that in check. :rolleyes:
Yes cutting a top 4 all-time video game franchise character from an all-star series is a step-back. Only Link, Mario, and Pikachu are comparable to Sonic among the Smash Brothers cast in all-time importance, iconicness, etc.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I don't think he is a good fit for Smash and here is my reasoning.

Snake is a serious fighting character along the lines of Masterchief, James Bond, Tomb Raider, etc. Smash is a silly beat them up game that mostly features Disney/Cartoony like characters. Granted we do get medieval role-playing kind of characters but overall most of the series represented in Smash (in fact all of them minus MGS at the moment) appeal to audience of all ages or younger ages.

Therefore the focus would be on popular characters that are from G related series and not FPS or Action/Combat series.

If you add Snake, then you can add Masterchief, Doomguy, Scorpion, Ryu, Duke Nukem, etc.

No, the focus is on classic Nintendo characters, with a couple exceptions for classic video game all-stars. No one in their right mind is going to argue that Fire Emblem characters are G-rated. Has everyone lost their mind recently? And to compare Snake to Scorpion is ludicrous.

I think everyone's going stir-crazy from lack of info...

Yes cutting a top 4 all-time video game franchise character from an all-star series is a step-back. Only Link, Mario, and Pikachu are comparable to Sonic among the Smash Brothers cast in all-time importance, iconicness, etc.

Donkey Kong scoffs at how incorrect that statement is.

Ray Robo

Smash Ace
NNID
RayRobo
Sonic has a chance to return but, personally I wouldn't hold my breath.

Popularity wise among the fanbase, he has a great chance. But in Sakurai's eyes I don't think he's looking for Sonic to make a return.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
If you think Snake is too serious for Smash, then you haven't heard of Dream Mix TV World Fighters, which looks just as silly as Smash.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Fire Emblem games look cartoony compared to games like Call of Duty, Doom, Metal Gear Solid, etc.

Snake opens the door to a more Mature themed game. Granted Sakurai did a good job changing him to fit the series so I liked Snake as a character but I always did feel like he was an oddball.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
You forget this is a NINTENDO game.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Fire Emblem games look cartoony compared to games like Call of Duty, Doom, Metal Gear Solid, etc.

Snake opens the door to a more Mature themed game. Granted Sakurai did a good job changing him to fit the series so I liked Snake as a character but I always did feel like he was an oddball.

It doesn't change the fact that you didn't include DK as being more or at least as influential as Sonic. :glare:

But let's be serious here for a moment.

I still think you're making incorrect comparisons just based on your assumption that Snake didn't fit in the game originally, or that his series is too series. I really think you need to stop making that assumption, especially since Sakurai's initial reason for not including the Villager was "he wasn't violent enough" essentially. These arguments are back to 2006 and don't make any sense anymore.

Why are you comparing MGS to CoD anyway? MGS is a remarkably ridiculous game in its own right. Have you met Hideo Kojima?

I think I need a break from SWF. Everyone's gone insane and negativity is literally everywhere. Sigh.

volbound1700

Smash Master
You forget this is a NINTENDO game.

That is what is lost about this game. It should be an ALL-STAR game. I have always argued that from the start on here.

If I was in charge, it would become the BEST VIDEO GAME CHARACTERS all-time and not just be limited to Nintendo or at the very least include 3rd parties that frequently appear on Nintendo Systems... i.e. Megaman and Sonic.

D

Deleted member

So wait, Snake isn't a good fit for the game, yet ****ing Sackboy and Ratchet, two SONY characters, are?!

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
If you think Snake is too serious for Smash, then you haven't heard of Dream Mix TV World Fighters, which looks just as silly as Smash.

I emulated that game awhile back. I really liked it. It wasn't super amazing and nowhere near as complex as Smash, but it's by no means a bad game and I say you should try it at least once.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
If I was in charge, it would become the BEST VIDEO GAME CHARACTERS all-time and not just be limited to Nintendo or at the very least include 3rd parties that frequently appear on Nintendo Systems... i.e. Megaman and Sonic.
You are missing a certain.. Simon Belmont [this is more a reply to your list earlier]. Castlevania also started on the NES and he was among the crowd for awhile.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Thankfully you're not. :p :troll:

And going by what you said, you'd probably make it multi-platform.:glare:

volbound1700

Smash Master
So wait, Snake isn't a good fit for the game, yet ****ing Sackboy and Ratchet, two SONY characters, are?!
It is NOT BASED on Company. It is based on the fact Snake is kind of a mature super hero in the lines of Doom, Call of Duty, Gears of War, Assasins Creed, Gears of War, and other FPS shooter or Stealth Platform games.

Sackboy isn't a serious character and neither is Ratchet. They are cartoony like Bugs Bunny, Kirby, Mario, Pikachu, Donkey Kong, Mickey Mouse, Sonic, etc.

I am trying to throw in non-video game characters to illustrate the point. I guess I am not explaining this right or I am just saying something that is controversal. Oh well move on.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
This. ^

I don't think Snake is too mature for Smash or whatever similar crap some people like to spout, especially considering the clashing artstyles already present between the Nintendo characters.

Also this again:

I've heard of that game before, actually. I first heard about it more or less at the same time Snake was revealed for Brawl, if I recall correctly.

volbound1700

Smash Master
It doesn't change the fact that you didn't include DK as being more or at least as influential as Sonic. :glare:

But let's be serious here for a moment.

I still think you're making incorrect comparisons just based on your assumption that Snake didn't fit in the game originally, or that his series is too series. I really think you need to stop making that assumption, especially since Sakurai's initial reason for not including the Villager was "he wasn't violent enough" essentially. These arguments are back to 2006 and don't make any sense anymore.

Why are you comparing MGS to CoD anyway? MGS is a remarkably ridiculous game in its own right. Have you met Hideo Kojima?

I think I need a break from SWF. Everyone's gone insane and negativity is literally everywhere. Sigh.

DK isn't on the level of Sonic nor is his series. Sorry. He is not on the Walk of Game. He is not considered as reconizable as Sonic. He is up there definitely but not as popular. Only Mario, Link, and Pikachu really on that level.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
You are missing a certain.. Simon Belmont [this is more a reply to your list earlier]. Castlevania also started on the NES and he was among the crowd for awhile.
YES! Someone else who appreciates the innate glory of Simon Belmont. If not for Snake, I feel like he'd be everyone's go-to Konami rep. Granted, I don't want Snake to leave, but I'd certainly be down with some Vampire Killer.

Seriously though people (I'll...try my best...not to name any names) you all seem to be going nuts. Some people I've heard perfectly rational discussions from before are like way off the deep end. I think I'll go chill in the Pool Room...

DK isn't on the level of Sonic nor is his series. Sorry. He is not on the Walk of Game. He is not considered as reconizable as Sonic. He is up there definitely but not as popular. Only Mario, Link, and Pikachu really on that level.

At this point I think you're being defensively biased. Without DK, Sonic wouldn't even exist. In addition, DK is featured in every single Mario party game, Sports game, etc. DK's repetoire of game appearances can easily rival Sonics, and among non-video game players, I only ever hear people recognize:

Mario, Pikachu and DK. Sonic...sometimes. As for Link, I hear people call him Zelda. Ugh.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Snake is hardly a super serious character. He's really about as serious as Toon Link, perhaps. The fourth-wall breaking easily shows this.

And no, his series did not open the floodgates for mature content whatsoever. We see none in Brawl, so that's just plain false. I was more worried about the fanservice Zamus brought than Snake's completely non-mature moveset. No regular bullets, no knives... yeah, real mature there.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Also again, using Sackboy and Rachet are bad examples of characters considering it's pretty impossible ether will make it into Super Smash Bros. due to copyrights being held by Sony.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Also again, using Sackboy and Rachet are bad examples of characters considering it's pretty impossible ether will make it into Super Smash Bros. due to copyrights being held by Sony.
If you read the original post, I said irregardless of ownership. Banjo-Kazooie also fits into that category along with half of the characters I likely listed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom