• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
The only stage in Smash that I never liked was Icicle Mountain from Melee.

Even Brawl's craziest stages were better than that horrible, awfully unpredictable stage.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
The only stage in Smash that I never liked was Icicle Mountain from Melee.

Even Brawl's craziest stages were better than that horrible, awfully unpredictable stage.
Idk about that bro. 75m was PRET-TY bad. I think Icicle Mountain was in someways better than Brawl's scrolling stage Jungle Falls.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I found a lot of Brawl's courses mediocre.

However, I would return Port Town Aero Drive, Pirate Ship, Luigi's Mansion, Flat Zone 2, Spear Pillar, WarioWare, Mario Bros., 75m, but not specifically anything else. Maybe Mario Kart too. I was still disappointed Mother and Kirby got 1 new stage. Neither I found alluring or really that great. I'd take either Mother stage from Melee, and actually any of the other Kirby courses over Halberd.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
The only stage which I truly hated was New Pork City. It was just too big like Ridley. And really bland (except for the Chimera)

D

Deleted member

Big stages like New Pork would be acceptable if it meant that there were Giant characters as an archtype (filled by characters such as Giga Bowser, Ridley, Tabuu, Doshin/Jashin, for example), and it was only available if there was at least one Giant in the battle.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
How can you call Brawl's stage roster mediocre and yet laud Mario Bros and 75m? Most all of Brawl's stages were alright. I believe overall they were more dynamic than Melee's offerings. The biggest problem with Brawl is the stages were small in comparison to the characters' models.

New Pork City is inexcusable though. Hopefully the next "large" stage is much more coherent than that awful abomination.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
See, I liked most of Brawl's stages but hated most of Melee's. I felt like most of Melee's were either too small or poorly designed. Melee's stages were more chaotic but I wouldn't argue in a fun way. Yoshi's Island is a great example of this. It's a great stage for 1 on 1 fights but way too crowded for 4 player matches (especially if there's items) and I feel like this was the problem for most of Melee's stages.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I only really disliked 75M. My favorite stage from brawl was Castle Siege. I hope it comes back in Smash 4 as unlikely as that would be.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Agreed. 75M and Mario Bros. was so done awful, I couldn't even think of a word to describe how bad it was.

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
The only Brawl stage I didn't like was Hanbero. All the other's I like, I just wish New Pork City were a little smaller. I also seem to be the only person here who likes 75m

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
How can you call Brawl's stage roster mediocre and yet laud Mario Bros and 75m? Most all of Brawl's stages were alright. I believe overall they were more dynamic than Melee's offerings. The biggest problem with Brawl is the stages were small in comparison to the characters' models.
I very much preferred 75m over the other DK stage as is. It was more fun. Mario Bros. wasn't a bad stage either, and being R.O.B.'s only stage, I'd be fine with it coming back. I just don't like either stage in Single Player, but they're a lot of fun for multiplayer.

Again, entirely different opinions. And nah, Melee's stages were way better, since they had a very balanced mix of crazy and static. Barely any I found to be near unplayable. Big Blue at best to me, really. Icicle Mountain was slightly bad. Rest? Loved 'em.

New Pork City is inexcusable though. Hopefully the next "large" stage is much more coherent than that awful abomination.

We can only hope it never returns again. -_-

D

Deleted member

I may not care for Shulk, but I think we can all agree that an Xenoblade stage would be great to have.

Morbi

Scavenger
I hated Brawl's stages to be honest. I cant think of one that I really liked. Mario Bros. and 75m were horrible. They changed the entire meta-game. :urg:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I actually liked all stages in Brawl. New Pork City was fun for 4-player matches and had that whole Chimera luring.
I agree it could be smaller though, because fighting Team Ness or Team Lucas during Classic Mode on Intense difficulty was a pain in the ass.

Overall, Brawl's stage roster wasn't bad and had a good balance between plainer stages and crazier stages.

Morbi

Scavenger
I actually liked all stages in Brawl. New Pork City was fun for 4-player matches and had that whole Chimera luring.
I agree it could be smaller though, because fighting Team Ness or Team Lucas during Classic Mode on Intense difficulty was a pain in the ***.

Overall, Brawl's stage roster wasn't bad and had a good balance between plainer stages and crazier stages.
I honestly thought there were too many crazy stages. Some normal stages were completely changed by crazy stuff. See Norfair. I honestly don't really think there are too many normal stages in the game. Final Destination and Battlefield are obvious ones. Bridge of Eldin and Mario Kart are decent.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I honestly thought there were too many crazy stages. Some normal stages were completely changed by crazy stuff. See Norfair. I honestly don't really think there are too many normal stages in the game. Final Destination and Battlefield are obvious ones. Bridge of Eldin and Mario Kart are decent.
Smashville is pretty normal, Castle Siege is pretty normal other then the 3 sections [which adds variety to the battle] same can be said of Isle Delfino

Gargaglione

Smash Lord
Smashville is my fave stage in all of Smash, and I love stages like Delfino Isle, Yoshi's Island, and Pictochat.
I like Brawl's stage roster.

Morbi

Scavenger
Smashville is my fave stage in all of Smash, and I love stages like Delfino Isle, Yoshi's Island, and Pictochat.
I like Brawl's stage roster.
Smashville is pretty normal, Castle Siege is pretty normal other then the 3 sections [which adds variety to the battle] same can be said of Isle Delfino
Yeah. I totally forgot about Smashville. Castle Siege and Delfino Isle are also really cool normal stages. I think Yoshi's Island is a little on the small size. I mean it is a normal stage. I just feel so claustrophobic on it. Pictochat is the opposite of a normal stage lol. :rotfl:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Most of Brawl's stages were crazy. There was an extremely tiny amount of plain stages. No, it was not balanced in that regard.

64's wasn't much better, of course. Melee did have the most balanced combo of Crazy/Plain stages.

Mind you, that doesn't make Brawl's courses bad at all either. But I don't know what balance you're talking about, because it doesn't actually exist. There's only 3 non-crazy courses at best, or one's that are very easy to work with in tourneys. Battlefield, Final Destination, Smashville. Luigi's Mansion had other issues which got it banned/counterpick, being how easy it was to defend against attacks with the walls. Mario Kart is hardly plain. Bridge of Eldin has the walk-off which makes Chain Grabs too powerful. Yeah... kind of doesn't exist.

Okay, I did forget about Castle Siege and Isle Delfino. Those weren't bad either. But that's 5 courses that were very non-hazardous or non-issues for most of the battle when it came to purely competitive play.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
There are more plain stages than Battlefield and Final Destination.

Castle Siege, Mario Circuit, Shadow Moses Island, Green Hill Zone, Bridge of Eldin, Smashville, Yoshi's Island, Halberd, Lylat Cruise, Delfino Plaza, Luigi's Mansion and Skyworld don't have a lot of obstacles or have predictable ones and, alongside Battlefield and Final Destination, make up for almost half of the stages introduced in Brawl.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I may not care for Shulk, but I think we can all agree that an Xenoblade stage would be great to have.
I'm actually expecting whatever Xenoblade stage we might receive to be our new large stage. It makes a lot of sense why it should be. One of Xenoblade's signature marks was in the scope of its environments and the level of detail of Bionis. Imagine that in HD.

Morbi

Scavenger
Most of Brawl's stages were crazy. There was an extremely tiny amount of plain stages. No, it was not balanced in that regard.

64's wasn't much better, of course. Melee did have the most balanced combo of Crazy/Plain stages.

Mind you, that doesn't make Brawl's courses bad at all either. But I don't know what balance you're talking about, because it doesn't actually exist. There's only 3 non-crazy courses at best, or one's that are very easy to work with in tourneys. Battlefield, Final Destination, Smashville. Luigi's Mansion had other issues which got it banned/counterpick, being how easy it was to defend against attacks with the walls. Mario Kart is hardly plain. Bridge of Eldin has the walk-off which makes Chain Grabs too powerful. Yeah... kind of doesn't exist.

Okay, I did forget about Castle Siege and Isle Delfino. Those weren't bad either. But that's 5 courses that were very non-hazardous or non-issues for most of the battle when it came to purely competitive play.
Mario Kart is normal compared to the rest of the stages in the game. Same with Bridge of Eldin. I am trying to make a Brawl standard. Those stages are normal according to the standard in Brawl. No doubt that they aren't normal if we are thinking about stages in other games. That is what I didn't like about Brawl. Too many crazy stages. Sakurai said he will keep competitive players in mind. So hopefully we get more normalish stages. The trailer stages seemed fine to me.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Stages-talk?

I sorta digged Hanenbow, but my brothers hated it. Whyyy.

Still agreeing 75m is WAY TOO CONVOLUTED to be a fighting arena, and Mario Bros is just "throw mook to win"-stage. Also hard to kill fella otherwise.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Mario Kart is normal compared to the rest of the stages in the game. Same with Bridge of Eldin. I am trying to make a Brawl standard. Those stages are normal according to the standard in Brawl. No doubt that they aren't normal if we are thinking about stages in other games. That is what I didn't like about Brawl. Too many crazy stages. Sakurai said he will keep competitive players in mind. So hopefully we get more normalish stages. The trailer stages seemed fine to me.

Again, neither of those count for normal to me. Both of their hazards have enough power to change the actual match.

Sure, they're less hazardous than some, but still, not "plain", since any hazards or anything that can determine a match in any easy fashion fails that criteria.

I'm thinking of them compared to Brawl as well. Hazards = Not Plain to me. No exceptions.

LoveandBacon

Smash Cadet
NNID
Lithiums
Anyone who likes 75m has never played a FFA match online *KOs 1 person* *Camps rest of match*

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Funny that what most people hate about Mario Bros. stage is actually what I really like about the stage.

It completely changed the rules and forces you to use different strategies. That is a challenge and makes you think outside of the main Smash rules. That's why I like that stage.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I'm actually expecting whatever Xenoblade stage we might receive to be our new large stage. It makes a lot of sense why it should be. One of Xenoblade's signature marks was in the scope of its environments and the level of detail of Bionis. Imagine that in HD.
Would it be Sword Valley? The Gaur Plains? Prison Island? Something else? That's my main question if it gets a stage haha.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Mario Bros was pretty much a dodge ball arena and, to that point, it was an enjoyable stage. It was by far the most casual stage and it exceeded at encouraging players to goof around instead of have a serious match.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Scrolling stages can really be a pain. Stages that change themselves are preferred for me. Pokemon Stadium type stages, Delfino where the platform takes the players to different locations, Fire Emblem's changing stages, and the Toon Link Boat all have concepts of changing elements without the scrolling screen.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I really didn't mind Hanenbow; I actually liked it. It had a gimmick that I didn't mind, actually

Morbi

Scavenger
Stages-talk?

I sorta digged Hanenbow, but my brothers hated it. Whyyy.

Still agreeing 75m is WAY TOO CONVOLUTED to be a fighting arena, and Mario Bros is just "throw mook to win"-stage. Also hard to kill fella otherwise.
I think most people hated Hanenbow for the same reason they hated 75m. There were too many small platforms. It was distracting (which would sometimes contribute to lag). It's color pallet was annoying. The platforms were intractable (they could interrupt attacks). The music sucked. It was more irritable than anything. Characters with bad recovery (like Wolf) had a hard time. I don't know. I thought 75m was worse. But Hanenbow also sucked.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I disliked Delfino. The whole moving to different areas thing I found stupid

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Funny that what most people hate about Mario Bros. stage is actually what I really like about the stage.

It completely changed the rules and forces you to use different strategies. That is a challenge and makes you think outside of the main Smash rules. That's why I like that stage.

This is why I liked it and 75m. in Casual play. I thought the game was great if you didn't play competitive-wise. But it had so few reasonably neutral courses, it was staggering. The game has some great courses, no doubt though.

I would've liked courses like those to stay out of Single Player, though. It becomes a pain trying to get a no lives lost run in All-Star. I don't mind it so much in multiplayer since it's really fun to have such chaos.(and that's the reason why I hate the Red Shell was taken out)

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I'm hoping we get moar stages from franchises that don't have character reps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom