• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobadz

Smash Ace
here's what Sakurai says about third parties.

"Kotaku: I know Mega Man is a character that has been requested for a very long time - is there something different about this game that will make it okay to bring in Mega Man? Have you tried to include Mega Man before?

Sakurai: No, actually, there was never any consideration to having him in previous games, and if you think about it, there hasn't been really a precedent for third-party characters joining other than very special cases like Sonic, during the last game . It's something that wasn't even possible. We're now going into versions four and five within the series—this is only something that's now possible."
Wonder what this means for Sonic, and Snake?

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
It's a bit vague, but this might mean Sonic was a one time character. Then again, Sonic has been in numerous crossover Olympic video games with Mario, and how Sakurai mentiond Sonic was a special case, may have been reffering to how Nintendo and Sega's rivalry had ended not long ago.
On a side note, Sonic is for sure more likely to return than Snake.

With that, I'm off for the night. G'night all!

Popsydoodles

Smash Journeyman
Since there isn't a topic going on in this thread right now, I might as well start one.

I REALLY wish this remix would be in Smash 4, but that's extremely unlikely. It's an epic metal cover of several Bowser themes, primarily his final boss theme from SM64. The only way I think anyone can dislike this song is if they dislike metal music.

Anyone else know of any remixes that they wish could be in Smash 4?
anything done by artificial fear would be great!

Ray Robo

Smash Ace
NNID
RayRobo
I don't think there will be that much more third party characters aside from MegaMan and 2 others at the most in Smash 4. It seems Sakurai wants to make their inclusion "something special" so I'm not going to expect it often.

In my opinion Snake has less than 5% chance of getting in. Sonic may or may not return, it really depends on how Sakurai feels on the matter and Sega's cooperation as he's already stated how difficult it is for a 3rd party character to be included in a smash game.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
He says a bit more about how adding more third parties could be hard. However, he never spoke of leaving out Snake or Sonic either. I read the whole thing. That's not the only relevant content to it.

It also disproves any theory about the MegaMan thing and Nintendo being mad about RE4.

Also, since although my sig isn't always up, I did make a Quest 64 Forum Group if anybody's interested. It does have a topic for Smash related stuff. No, I have nothing to do with the people who made Super Smash Bros. Universe(the whole fan thing), if you wondering.(or care)

D

Deleted member

Sakurai: The reality, and very unfortunate reality of the situation is that it's still a considerable problem. I'm in a lot of pain. I'm in a position where I can't use the mouse at this point, so I'm using the trackball, and as the creative director behind an action game, that's a real critical issue, unfortunately. But still, all things being said, I'm still 100% committed to the creation ofSmash Bros.
I don't know much about medicine, but didn't he start to develop this condition over a year ago? If so, then the fact that it's lasted so long kind of concerns me here since I find it unusual that his calcific tendonitis would last this long.
It really is interesting how non-committal he is to saying there will be cuts. He really must be worried about upsetting the community, not that I blame him. There probably will be.

One thing has me curious: if Sakurai has not reached a point where he's had to cut characters yet, does that mean he's already worked something out with Sega and or Konami to bring back Sonic and Snake? Just something that struck me. Of course things could easily change, but for their fans' there is at least a reason to be a little optimistic.
Yeah, I found it interesting that Sakurai has never once stated that he would cut characters from Brawl. Even with the quote with not everyone returning, he was referring to Melee and Brawl veterans; meaning that characters like Pichu and Young Link (who weren't ever planned for Brawl) wouldn't return. Plus Sakurai seems really hesitant to cut in general as we can see from his recent comments.

Whatever the case is, I feel as he had said not everyone from Brawl would return, he would most likely be referring to Snake and Sonic because they are guests. Not that this makes them shoe-ins, but this is something to think about.

The thing that really sucks about discussing cuts this time is that there are no obvious cuts this time around like there was in Melee (Pichu and Young Link according to Sakurai). Everyone has good reasons to return yet chances are that at least one of them are going. Even Toon Link, Snake and Sonic, the ones with the greatest chance of facing the axe, have reasons why they could be brought back and even cutting Toon Link would be painful to many people. Brawl had a stronger cast of characters than Melee did, so I can imagine why Sakurai has such a difficult time cutting characters. Sure many will say that Lucario and Ike are easy cuts to make, but strip away the flawed "lack of recentness" and "over-representation" argument and the only thing they can use is time constraints. Which could happen, but considering that I don't see us not getting seven Pokémons and three Fire Emblem characters, I have a very hard time seeing Lucario or Ike getting cut.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Pichu was the only character he apparently didn't like thus far. Well, if the old rumors are true. That he needed another clone, say Pichu was poular, said screw it, and went for it.

The thing is, the reason Ike, Lucario, and Pokemon Trainer are some of the easier cuts is that Ike is no longer the latest Lord, and if he needs space and can only have a select amount, he has to choose between Roy, Ike, and one more. Of course, I do see him returning Ike before Roy if he has the space for it. As for Lucario, again, flavor of the month and may not be a likely returner. There's no clear Gen V choice, but some reasonable ones, like Genesect, Victini, or Zoroark. For Pokemon Trainer, it's the processing power thing. Having 3 characters always loaded(and 4 models) becomes ridiculous where that's potentially sixteen unique models onscreen at once. Which is probably why Brawl had it so you loaded the file one at a time, to prevent slowdown during the whole battle, instead of a few moments. But I could see him dropping Trainer or changing it to be two Pokemon instead. Charizard is extremely popular, so assuming he doesn't change it from Red's model, we could even see Meowth and Charizard. This is less models, still keeps the spirit of PT(which is controlling multiple Pokemon at once), and gets in Meowth, who is still rather popular. He's also the last of the 1st Gens to have extremely popularity Anime-wise, which we know he looks at.

Mind you, I am somewhat expecting Mewtwo to return, with his new Forme or not. I think Mewtwo, the Brawl characters(with a PT change possibly similar to the one I mentioned), Pikachu, Jigglypuff, and someone from Gen 5 or 6 is a roster he'd look at. Yes, I know, I didn't mention Gen 3 characters. Let's be honest, they aren't likely at all right now. Not unless we get remakes before For and there's a movie about Gen 3 characters.

Alzi

Smash Master
To people who asked why I think 9th July will be character reveal, it was because it would be 4 weeks away from Nintendo's e3. (Just a random guess lol)

Also here is what I meant by how you can estimate how many characters there may be just based on the website design:

http://i43.tinypic.com/11mdety.jpg

I definitely know I am wrong with some of the character choices as it is sakurai we are talking about but just mainly did it as an example.

D

Deleted member

Pichu was the only character he apparently didn't like thus far. Well, if the old rumors are true. That he needed another clone, say Pichu was poular, said screw it, and went for it.

The thing is, the reason Ike, Lucario, and Pokemon Trainer are some of the easier cuts is that Ike is no longer the latest Lord, and if he needs space and can only have a select amount, he has to choose between Roy, Ike, and one more. Of course, I do see him returning Ike before Roy if he has the space for it. As for Lucario, again, flavor of the month and may not be a likely returner. There's no clear Gen V choice, but some reasonable ones, like Genesect, Victini, or Zoroark. For Pokemon Trainer, it's the processing power thing. Having 3 characters always loaded(and 4 models) becomes ridiculous where that's potentially sixteen unique models onscreen at once. Which is probably why Brawl had it so you loaded the file one at a time, to prevent slowdown during the whole battle, instead of a few moments. But I could see him dropping Trainer or changing it to be two Pokemon instead. Charizard is extremely popular, so assuming he doesn't change it from Red's model, we could even see Meowth and Charizard. This is less models, still keeps the spirit of PT(which is controlling multiple Pokemon at once), and gets in Meowth, who is still rather popular. He's also the last of the 1st Gens to have extremely popularity Anime-wise, which we know he looks at.

Mind you, I am somewhat expecting Mewtwo to return, with his new Forme or not. I think Mewtwo, the Brawl characters(with a PT change possibly similar to the one I mentioned), Pikachu, Jigglypuff, and someone from Gen 5 or 6 is a roster he'd look at. Yes, I know, I didn't mention Gen 3 characters. Let's be honest, they aren't likely at all right now. Not unless we get remakes before For and there's a movie about Gen 3 characters.
Pichu was added as a joke character in Melee.

I don't think we are going to be seeing a Gen 5 rep and in a way, Gen 6 is already going to be covered by Mewtwo's return. Gen 5 is practically over at this point and will be long gone by the time SSB4 is out. Lucario has proven himself to have a long lasting popularity and has been heavily promoted by the Pokémon Company during Gen 5, so they still consider Lucario to be relevant. Plus Lucario has always been considerably more popular than Zoroark, Victini or Genesect anyway. With Brawl planning to have seven or eight Pokémons planned and there really being no realistic additions aside from Mewtwo, I think the Pokémon Company would want to see Lucario return.

As for Ike, there isn't any proof that he was added because he was the latest Lord. All we know is that Sakurai wanted a recent Lord, Intelligent System choose Ike and Ike was added because he met Sakurai's four criteria. Even then, Sakurai was stuck at the time on who to add. With him already having Marth, Ike and Roy to choose from for previous games, he may simply opt to keep the ones he have and add Roy.

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
To people who asked why I think 9th July will be character reveal, it was because it would be 4 weeks away from Nintendo's e3. (Just a random guess lol)

Also here is what I meant by how you can estimate how many characters there may be just based on the website design:

http://i43.tinypic.com/11mdety.jpg

I definitely know I am wrong with some of the character choices as it is sakurai we are talking about but just mainly did it as an example.
ZSS gets her own slot but Sheik doesn't?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Pichu was added as a joke character in Melee.
And possibly because it was an easy slot to make and he was popular too.

I don't think we are going to be seeing a Gen 5 rep and in a way, Gen 6 is already going to be covered by Mewtwo's return. Gen 5 is practically over at this point and will be long gone by the time SSB4 is out. Lucario has proven himself to have a long lasting popularity and has been heavily promoted by the Pokémon Company during Gen 5, so they still consider Lucario to be relevant. Plus Lucario has always been considerably more popular than Zoroark, Victini or Genesect anyway. With Brawl planning to have seven or eight Pokémons planned and there really being no realistic additions aside from Mewtwo, I think the Pokémon Company would want to see Lucario return.
Mewtwo could only count as a Gen 6 rep if he has his new Forme, but we don't know that. Again, if he wants to show off newer Pokemon or far more recent ones, Lucario and PT won't last. PT has a reason to be cut or changed. Lucario less so, respectively.

As for Ike, there isn't any proof that he was added because he was the latest Lord. All we know is that Sakurai wanted a recent Lord, Intelligent System choose Ike and Ike was added because he met Sakurai's four criteria. Even then, Sakurai was stuck at the time on who to add. With him already having Marth, Ike and Roy to choose from for previous games, he may simply opt to keep the ones he have and add Roy.

That's not what I meant. I mean that if he's opted to add a third new character slot-wise, Ike would more likely to be the one to stay. I do expect Roy to at least be a costume if he doesn't get a slot again. Or at least I can hope so.

Again, my mostly predicted Pokemon Roster, if he's not overdoing it, would be Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Lucario, Gen 5/6.(Awakening Forme is not counting for what I mean) I'd say it depends how well Genesect and Mewtwo's movies are received. Genesect may still have a chance. Without replacing anyone, that is. He might even just stick with the current versions in Brawl, add Mewtwo(with his Forme), and a Genesect(nothing out of Gen 6 but Sylveon seems to have taken any popularity yet, and that's only because of its new type).

For Fire Emblem, I'm looking at Marth, Ike, and someone else, possibly Chrom. I'm not too hopeful for Roy at this point. While he still has popularity, it's a Smash thing for the most part. Ike and Marth both have popularity outside of Smash. Chrom is hard to say, but he seemed to be received well so far. Mind you, I'd prefer Hector to change it up. But I'm not counting my Cuccoos before they attack Link.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Why would they get rid of a team color. What are they going to replace it with, yellow? Yellow is no where near as popular as red, just look at the sales data.
They could replace with Mother ****in' Blue

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I can only see him being replaced with another Generational generic Pokemon Trainer or maybe a specific class. I'd love to see Rocket Grunt with Meowth and Raticate specifically playable. Of course, their Up B could be a Crobat. All were showed off in the Anime, minus Crobat(as a Rocket Pokemon, to clarify), with two versions of Team Rocket using each. Meowth for Jessie & James and Raticate for Butch & Cassidy.

Realistically, if they do change him, it's hard to say what Generation, but his design will reflect probably the male protag of that generation. As for which Pokemon, that's another story. Another good selection is one based upon May with Treecko, Marshstomp, and Blaziken(these are the easiest to make fight choice-wise, to clarify). It reps Gen III more directly than the Gen III Red design, at least.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I don't know much about medicine, but didn't he start to develop this condition over a year ago? If so, then the fact that it's lasted so long kind of concerns me here since I find it unusual that his calcific tendonitis would last this long.
It's his own fault. He wants to play as the new characters during his lunch break, and tries to control more than 1 character at once on the 3DS version. :rolleyes:

Pokémon Trainer Red likely won't go anywhere.

Hopefully he'll finally give Sheik the boot.

**** yeah, Impa propoganda time :shades:

ZSS gets her own slot but Sheik doesn't?
I bring you, the sollution: Impa.

`dazrin

Smash Champion
Alright. (for those who haven't looked at my earlier post, i recommend taking a peek http://smashboards.com/threads/super-smash-bros-4-wii-u-3ds-topic.324221/page-598#post-15609058)

I've done a bit more research and talked to some of the other Project M developers about the subject of 3DS limitations.
--It seems, I've been wrong about some things.

Remember how I said the 3ds actually has more RAM than the wii? Well because of this, transformation characters are actually not a problem on the 3DS. I was saying before that the lack of cpu power on the 3ds compared to the wii would have a severe effect on characters like zelda/sheik, PT, samus/zamus, iceclimbers, and Olimar (when he has pikmin out). However, it seems that the issue with transformation characters is actually more of a RAM issue, not a CPU based one. So to illustrate, if Sheik is on the screen, Zelda is floating around in the RAM of the system waiting to be switched into. The files of the transformation character load into the game upon switch, which WILL take up CPU power, but nothing substantial enough to cause problems on the 3DS. As long as both models aren't on the screen at the same time, the CPU isn't using them. This basically grants Samus/Zamus and Zelda/Sheik a safe entry back into Smash4 without the need to be "reduced" in some way in order to accommodate for the 3DS' limitations.

Now, for characters like PT, IceClimbers, and Olimar (when he has pikmin active) aren't so lucky. Ice Climbers are very cpu intensive because of the second AI controlled model they bring onto the screen at the same time, and this problem multiplies if there are 4 Ice Climbers present on the screen, obviously. PT is a similar problem as well; not because of the transformations, but because of the actual Pokemon Trainer model in the background of the stage running around. Olimar obviously is a problem because he brings up to 5 more models onto the screen for the game to manage. Basically, the more models present on the screen, the more CPU power the game is using, which means more of a problem for the 3DS' little 268mhz processor. As an example of this, on the Fountain of Dreams stage in SSBM, the game would drop in framerate (lag) because the reflection on the stage basically doubled all the models on the stage, causing strain on the CPU of the gamecube.

So since the 3DS isn't going to be able to handle a bunch of models on the screen at the same time, the amount of items that are allowed to be on the screen is going to be limited (especially with things like pokeballs and assist trophies) in order to allow for the 3DS version to keep up with the Wii version. Also, Iceclimbers are going to need to be limited in some way (single iceclimber??) and Olimar is more than likely going to have to have a reworked moveset that doesn't require him to have pikmin following him around. For PT, all they really need to do is get rid of the PT model in the background of the stage and he shouldn't be causing any problems. Probably just show him in the entrance scene in the beginning of a fight or something, I dunno.

A potential solution to the problem would be to just make the 3DS version only up to 2 players only-- but people would probably be angry at that. idk.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Well, in order for Red to be removed, he'd have to be in there in the first place. :p Which he isn't.

Officially, he's just a generic Trainer based upon Red. The Trophies even made it clear he's the class.

Him being Red is Fanon. Not that it isn't understandable to imagine him as Red, but even his dialogue is based around Ash, not Red.

And yeah, Sheik ain't going anywhere, don't expect it. She's the only reason Zelda got in in the first place, let's remember. She had her own moveset. It wasn't till it was realized that a Sheik without Zelda is lacking, so they gave Zelda a moveset with 3 of Link's own spells, and some magic. You can also tell by their Tier status who Sakurai clearly put more work into. And not just Tier status, but Zelda really is far weaker overall than Sheik gameplay-wise.(I don't mean physical hits, but in everything) Zelda did get physical buffs in Brawl, but the huge amount of defensive options made all of them worthless. It's why she, Adult Link, and Ganondorf all are on the bottom tier. They're just made so poorly.

Well, he did admit he finds Child Link an extremely important character, so he probably has some bias towards Young/Toon Link and Sheik at this point. The rest, yeah, you can tell how good they are. -_- Ganondorf even sucks on Final Destination with Items, so his idea of balance didn't even make sense. Then again, he at one time said that the balance was perfect in online play(with items)... yeah, so glad we got Namco-Bandai working here.

@'dazzrin: Huh. Yeah, that kind of sucks. But I'm not surprised. Ice Climbers are probably going to stay, though. Pokemon Trainer requires more models, so... I wonder if he might get reduced to 1, 2, or dropped in favor of more Pokemon choices. I liked his addition, but they could've done better. Like gave him better costumes showcasing him being a representation of all of the regular Pokemon Trainer class.

@Diddy: Please collapse the images. They're huge.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Ok, if Red isn't the Pokémon Trainer, Ness and Link probably aren't Ness and Link either. Cause you can name them Poop**** if you want. :smirk:

Of coarse his dialoge is based on Ash, cause Ash has an actual voice actor. However, Red definitely uses phrases out of the game.

As for tier whoring, please get real. Zelda / Sheik was likely 100% planned from the beginning to be a tagteam based on Ocarina of Time.

I wish you'd became smarter in your absence.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Ok, if Red isn't the Pokémon Trainer, Ness and Link probably aren't Ness and Link either. Cause you can name them Poop**** if you want. :smirk:
Nope. Because they are given names canonically in Smash. They are poor examples. Trainer is just a Trainer. Huge fallacy when you read the Trophies.

Again, Red being in Smash is purely Fanon. I agree that him being Red instead wouldn't have been a bad idea, though. But they could've done better with more generic costumes for him.

Of coarse his dialoge is based on Ash, cause Ash has an actual voice actor. However, Red definitely uses phrases out of the game.
And yet he uses anime voices. Again, he's a reference to them all. Because, you know, he's a generic Pokemon Trainer. As his name, Trophy, and generic voice point out. He does sound a lot like Ash, but doesn't have the same voice actor. Still female, though.

As for tier whoring, please get real. Zelda / Sheik was likely 100% planned from the beginning to be a tagteam based on Ocarina of Time.
I'd like to see this cited, because it's hard to believe. Neither is likely. Also, let's remember the reason she showed up in Brawl was Nintendo choosing to give Sheik's newest design to Sakurai, so they clearly found Sheik important for Smash, not just Sakurai.

Also again, please collapse your large images. They eat up the server, as we found out yesterday. -_-

`dazrin

Smash Champion
@HyperFalcon

TBH, I doubt ICs, Olimar and PT will be cut. Those characters are very unique and bring very new elements to the table in Smash Bros. Seeing as Sakurai says time and time again that he wants characters to have unique qualities, I am of the opinion those three will stay, but just be altered in some way to make up for the 3DS's limitations.

The character's that have the highest chance of being cut are the ones who were a "flavor of the month" kind of character (meaning that they were only popular at the time of brawl's development) and don't really bring much new to the table. I'm not going to outright accuse any one character of this, but I just want to point out that Lucario actually brought a pretty unique mechanic to Smash in his aura system. Even still, I personally don't expect to see Lucario and Ike back, and instead replaced with characters who are more recent in the pokemon and FE series (AwakenedMewtwo + <insert FE character here>?) idk. I also don't expect to see Snake come back because of the third party legal complications, but you never know-- he was a pretty unique character as well.

We'll just have to wait and see how things shape up! :)

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
IC's and Olimar, no. PT is the only one that has a chance among the 3. Lucario is doubtful not because of his mechanic, but because he's still immensely popular.

PT wasn't nearly as popular as Lucario, and they may update him instead.

Ike is a little bit more likely to leave, though. Not that he should.(I used to hate him, but then I kicked butt with him. I don't like that he made it in before Roy, but he's a solid character.) I'd rather have zero cuts and all returns, but we know it is unlikely.

Among Gen 5 and 6, nobody stands out popularity-wise. Awakened!Mewtwo does help to show possibly bring Mewtwo in general back, though.

As for third parties, the only thing Sakurai is most likely hinting at is to at most except one more new Third Party. Besides Snake, Sonic, and MegaMan.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Of coarse they name him Pokémon Trainer, cause in the end that's what he is. The Trainer is far more a reflection of the player than other characters are, namely, Ness, Link, Lucas... Same reason the Animal Crossing dude is called Villager. I mean, the Pokémon are the playable characters anyway, not Red himself.

Zelda / Sheik as an idea was a rather popular fan idea pre-Melee. Far not as popular as Ganondorf however, but the idea was suggested nonetheless. Implying they coupled them togheter in the end of the development of Melee is just stupid. And so is the idea that Sheik and Toon Link being higher on the tier list than Link, Zelda and Ganondorf shows Sakurai favors them over the Triforce trio... Forgot that by comparision, Melee Ganondorf is still high tier, and Sheik in Brawl is on the lower end of Mid Tier? :rolleyes: :smirk:

Your arguements make no sence whatsoever.

Also Charizard is the most popular Pokémon ever. Yes, even more popular than the legendary Pikachu and Mewtwo.

Ike was a great choice for Brawl, and it's only logical he made it in before Roy. He's still the second most popular and important hero in Fire Emblem, second only to our favorite tiara wearing metro sexual prince. Intelligent Systems also highly favors him apperantly. He's even regarded in Awakening as 'the mightiest hero of all time'.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Of coarse they name him Pokémon Trainer, cause in the end that's what he is. The Trainer is far more a reflection of the player than other characters are, namely, Ness, Link, Lucas... Same reason the Animal Crossing dude is called Villager. I mean, the Pokémon are the playable characters anyway, not Red himself.
And Villager is just the generic male Villager too. No, the problem is, every Pokemon Trainer has a different name. But he also is never described as Red or a specific protagonist in it. Where the other characters you mentioned(save Villager, another purely generic character) are specific described as being Ness/Link/Lucas. In name too. Sorry, but your argument doesn't hold any water. None of those are generic avatars in Smash like Trainer is. Bad examples.

Again, officially he's called Pokemon Trainer and officially the game treats him as one. There has never been a cited source of Sakurai saying he is Red. Even the Website makes it clear he's just another Trainer doing a good job of training. Nobody is saying he isn't obviously based upon Red to a degree. But that's not the same thing is being the literal character.

Zelda / Sheik as an idea was a rather popular fan idea pre-Melee. Far not as popular as Ganondorf however, but the idea was suggested nonetheless. Suggesting they coupled them togheter in the end of the development of Melee is just stupid. And so is the idea that Sheik and Toon Link being higher on the tier list than Link, Zelda and Ganondorf... Forgot that by comparision, Melee Ganondorf is still high tier, and Sheik in Brawl is on the lower end of Mid Tier? :rolleyes: :smirk:
So you still lack 100% proof Zelda was planned from the start. Either could be the case. End of story. Nothing to debate further. And no matter what, Sheik was always way better than regular Zelda, for whatever reason. Could be bias, or just bad balance. And I did specify Brawl. Young Link was also way better than Link in Melee, as well as Toon Link and Link. So yes, he does apparently find the Child one more favorable as far as we can tell.(but either way, Child Link is still a very important character to Sakurai officially. It doesn't necessarily mean he'll be in Smash For, but don't be surprised if he comes back in some form)

Also, interesting to note on one of his latest interviews, he considers the new games Smash Four and Smash Five. I wonder if that could be the reason for generic titles too. Since people can imagine which game is which number.

bobadz

Smash Ace
Yeah, I doubt PT is being cut because Charizard is awesome, and extremely popular.

I can see you having to pick a Pokemon to battle with for the 3ds version. Same with Zamus and Sheik. Olimar would be reworked though.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah, I doubt PT is being cut because Charizard is awesome, and extremely popular.

I can see you having to pick a Pokemon to battle with for the 3ds version. Same with Zamus and Sheik. Olimar would be reworked though.

Unlikely for your last bit. The moves were declared the same among all versions. Which means that Down B has to stay Pokemon Change between the Wii U and 3DS games. Sad too, though. Of course, they could just change out everything but Charizard, maybe adding in other Gens. Remember, Pokemon Trainer is based upon them all, and he could have any 2nd or 3rd Gen Pokemon since he's from a game that has them all.(FireRed/LeafGreen) Also, considering Sakurai uses the Anime too, he could give Trainer a team based around Ash's Anime Team.(this may have influenced Charizard and Squirtle for choices, or at least Squirtle) Not sure who I'd pick. Gligar, possible. 3rd Gen is hard since I can't think of his notables beyond Tailow/Swellow...

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It was bad balance that made Sheik better. And no way Zelda / Sheik wasn't planned. I cannot see how you could even deny this.

Anyways, Impa is much cooler than Sheik anyway. And she should totally be the separate Sheik everybody seems to ask for.

Adult Link was definitely better than Young Link in Melee.

Conclusion: please stop making ignorant claims.

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
Since we don't get our next image until monday, I've made my first caption image out of the one we got yesterday.
Should I make a dedicated thread or just post daily in this one?

Anyway, here's the first.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It was bad balance that made Sheik better. And no way Zelda / Sheik wasn't planned. I cannot see how you could even deny this.
I don't know how you can call this a fact without a single iota of proof. Likely =/= Fact. Stop pushing it as one unless you plan to cite this.

Nah, the balance made sense overall. She just happened to be speedy, which are always the best in a fighting game meta.

Anyways, Impa is much cooler than Sheik anyway. And she should totally be the separate Sheik everybody seems to ask for,

She's okay. I don't know where you got the idea that a ton of people are asking for a separate Sheik, but they're not. Zamus is the only one a lot want separate(even though they are actually separate, where Zelda/Sheik and Pokemon Trainer aren't full characters on their own. The lack of an unique Down B and shared Final Smash shows this.)

Only one I'd accept as being cool is the Oracles!Impa. She's not really that great anywhere else, imo.

@Terrazi: It's a Weekend. It'd be cool if showed another gameplay video with some more obvious returners, like Yoshi, or Zelda/Sheik.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Also, Pokémon Trainer was probably named Pokémon Trainer cause that's his mechanic in Brawl. I mean, it's a much more fitting name for a dude who uses 3 Pokémon to fight his battles... :smirk:

It's hard to believe your ao much older than most of us here. You make claims I'd expect someone half your age to make.

Asking for Fat Impa is definitely trolling though. So I won't bother with replying to whatever you post much in the future.

Inb4 throwing cows btw :rolleyes: You and Golden love trolling me with that.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Also, Pokémon Trainer was probably named Pokémon Trainer cause that's his mechanic in Brawl. I mean, it's a much more fitting name for a dude who uses 3 Pokémon to fight his battles... :smirk:
Which makes sense, really. You don't play directly as him, so why name him a specific character? Honestly, we have a Username system, just use it to imagine yourself as Red/Blue/whatever.

Also, nobody said Red being in Smash instead of a Generic Trainer wouldn't have been neat. Because yeah, I think that would've been better. But hey, that's just not bloody the case. What sucks is that he has one costume similar to Brendan, the 3rd Gen Male Protagonist. Then again, they used his 3rd Gen redesign, so it makes sense.

It's hard to believe your ao much older than most of us here. You make claims I'd expect someone half your age to make,

Diddy, if you want to have a serious discussion, don't take potshots at people. It makes you look far more immature and does not help your argument one bit.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I've had a rough week, shouldn't take that out on others however. Sorry for that.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I've had a rough week, shouldn't take that out on others however. Sorry for that.

Okay. Apology accepted. I'm fine with the rest you said for arguments points, regardless of who's right/wrong/whatever.

I've had it rough too, so I feel ya, mang.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Well, we should collapse big pictures to avoid it. I didn't have any crashes on this site recently, but it is going slow.

Anyway, this is purely hypothetical, but if you could switch up Pokemon Trainer's Pokemon in some way(and if you could change his actual full costume to be someone else, whether based upon another specific Trainer, or another class...), how would you do it?

I have two Team Rocket versions myself.

Giovanni
-Meowth
-Rhydon
-Golbat is used solely for a Recovery for both. Since his grunts use them, this work.

Rocket Grunt
-Meowth
-Raticate
-Crobat is the specifically Recovery, similar to what I said above.

I'd say the first one is cooler, but the second one follows the theme of generic Trainers Sakurai went for in Brawl.(not to say he has to continue this, and I'd be okay if he put a specific Pokemon Trainer in, as long as they're named.)

ThatGuyYouMightKnow

Smash Champion
No matter how unique the entire cast is, some characters will have to be removed. Remember that. Newcomers are obviously the first to be examined in the case of who needs to stay as long timers of the series are well known to it. The next would be popularity outside of the smash universe, currently selling and newly released titles, and generally who Nintendo just doesn't like or does like.

Two of those reasons are why I chose a few characters to leave behind. Such as ICs. No, these are not the only reasons; ICs are both veterans to the series and bring a the only true duo mechanic Smash knows.

Imo, we cannot, and should not provide "uniqueness" as a reason to bring someone back. Everyone in Brawl was very unique.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom