• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
This could disconfirm many sorts of characters...
Well, there are a number of characters we already know about. Bowser, Peach, Mewtwo, Meowth, and King Dedede were considered for the original but were left out due to time constraints. In Melee, Pit and Metaknight were considered but they couldn't figure out how to fairly implement "flying" characters, Sukapon was too complicated to program, and Wolf was cut for looking too much like Fox. In Brawl, we had the "Forbidden Seven."

Ray Robo

Smash Ace
NNID
RayRobo
We won't really know the extent of this customization until the game comes out, but I'm sure for tournament's sake the characters will just use their default movesets.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
I'm kinda happy that Sakurai is actually taking balancing seriously this time and getting help from his team instead of doing it himself. Finding a middle ground to appease both Melee & Brawl players is a good decision.

Shulk's reaction to being invited to Smash Bros.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Sakurai has probably thought of all the characters we wanted before we express how much we wanted them. And he just checks out on popularity to give certain priorities to characters. Which is logical.

And when I say all the character we wanted, I actually mean, all the characters we wanted.

Except Ridley. :reverse:

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Also he seems to have confirmed the whole "customization" on 3DS-thing. Miis para-confirmed?
Mii is one character. Customizing only one character out of ~50 doesn't really seem to be what Sakurai has in mind here. Plus, the customization apparently happens on the 3DS; how would that jive with Mii on WiiU?

Mii may well be in, but nothing in this article even remotely resembles a confirmation of the Mii.

Also, jesus, Sakurai, get surgery already. I can wait an extra month or two if it means that you aren't going to end up crippling yourself. It's best for both you and the game.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
So in regards to overall game balance, what we do is we use sort of this monitor playtest where we set up players of a certain level to play highly-skilled players in an arena. For example, an arena just with maybe a single platform and we watch them fight over a certain amount of time and view video from that and decide at a high level how to make adjustments to that for the base.
Guys, he just said he balances characters based on fights on Final Destination.

All I ever thought about liberal stage lists is wrong? I dunno... Makes you have to think a tad.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Sakurai is one of the game creators i hold the most respect for. The man is a genius and he's dedicated to his job. Even at the cost of his own health. I don't care if the game is delayed, he needs to go to the hospital and get his arm checked out.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I really don't think that it will be customizable moves, at least in the sense of giving those moves different gameplay effects. To do so would be grossly unfair to WiiU owners who do not own a 3DS or a 3DS copy of Smash.

Ray Robo

Smash Ace
NNID
RayRobo
I think in terms of the customization Sakurai is just talking about appearances for example if this was Brawl or something then we could give Squirtle sunglasses on the 3DS version and transfer him to our WiiU version and play as a Squirtle with sunglasses.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
I don't understand the big issue some people have with customization for tournament play. Like KingofPhantoms says, just don't allow customization from the 3DS version! Crisis easily averted.

Also, being in so much pain you can't even use a mouse... If there are ways to fix this issue why hasn't he tended to them? Is he so dedicated to getting this game out he'd rather not make us wait while its taken care of? Or are their "complications"? I don't really know much of these kind of things.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Sakurai is one of the game creators i hold the most respect for. The man is a genius and he's dedicated to his job. Even at the cost of his own health. I don't care if the game is delayed, he needs to go to the hospital and get his arm checked out.

Give this man his well deserved vacation when he's done I say. I doubt he's very stressed at all though, he still looks 25 years old despite being in his 40s.

bobadz

Smash Ace
Sakurai was a local street fighter 2 champ.

"Sakurai: But that's not to say that I don't appreciate very high-level competitive play, the type of very refined competitive gameplay that happens in other fighting games. Personally, I have a lot of experience playing in the arcade scene, and personally came out as a champion of a 100-person battle in arcade Street Fighter II.

Kotaku: Recently?

Sakurai: A long, long time ago. So I don't wanna ignore that there's that type of pleasure to be had from the game."

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Actually, this is what Sakurai stated about customizable characters:

When presented with this idea, Sakurai considered it for a moment before stating, "Perhaps the best way to think of it is: it's not the strength of the attacks that change--their power--but the directionality of those attacks will change with customization." Read into that what you will.
Source

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Also, being in so much pain you can't even use a mouse... If there are ways to fix this issue why hasn't he tended to them? Is he so dedicated to getting this game out he'd rather not make us wait while its taken care of? Or are their "complications"? I don't really know much of these kind of things.
It's a combination of him just him being bull headed as an artist and also bending to the Japanese cultural stereotype that it's more honorable to be overworked than not work at all.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Directionality? What is that supposed to mean? Will Samus be able to shoot Missiles up straight now or something?

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I'd be worried about gameplay ramifications for customization in general, not just tournaments. The balancing considerations created by variable movesets are immense, and while it's great that tournaments can ban customizable moves, that probably won't happen in online play or local play with friends.

Directionality? What is that supposed to mean? Will Samus be able to shoot Missiles up straight now or something?
It's pretty obviously not coming across very clearly in translation. Don't take it too literally.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Reggie's house in Animal Crossing if you haven't seen it.

It's a combination of him just him being bull headed as an artist and also bending to the Japanese cultural stereotype that it's more honorable to be overworked than not work at all.

I enjoy some Japanese culture, but the aspects of it that demand a considerable amount of discipline (and a ridiculous amount compared to American culture probably :laugh: ) sounds awful. Not that in this case it isn't impressive of course.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Directionality

Noun
1. directionality - the property of a microphone or antenna of being more sensitive in one direction than in another; "the antenna received signals with no directivity"
2. directionality - the property of being directional or maintaining a direction; "the directionality of written English is from left to right"

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/directionality

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Guys, he just said he balances characters based on fights on Final Destination.

All I ever thought about liberal stage lists is wrong? I dunno... Makes you have to think a tad.

That's a great point Erik!

Thanks Erik! To bad a giant face got in the way... :p

But seriously, anybody got thoughts on this? Balancing based on FD fights? Does that mean for a perfectly balanced in Sakurai's eyes games we have to only fight on FD?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Well, you have a point, we still don't know what might be the full extent of his strength. We will have to wait and see.

And, yeah, it's very ironic that the Villager could be an overpowered character. "Not suited for fighting," my ***! :rotfl:

Mega Man might have some trouble against characters with reflectors or projectile absorbing moves, considering that he has several projectile moves.
Like how almost every move of his is a reference to his games, having a small pool of original moves. Reminds me of Mr. Game & Watch in that regard.
The weaker the character is in their own franchise, the better the character is in Smash. Look at Jigglypuff and Peach.

The stronger the character is in their own franchise, the worse the character is in Smash. Look at Mewtwo and Ganondorf.

Ray Robo

Smash Ace
NNID
RayRobo

But seriously, anybody got thoughts on this? Balancing based on FD fights? Does that mean for a perfectly balanced in Sakurai's eyes games we have to only fight on FD?
Of course, certain characters would do better on stages with platforms and the such, if it had to be one stage I'd much rather Battlefield or even Smashville. FD is favoring long distance battles and a more campy/projectile based playstyle.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
Joking aside, it would be cool if you could change the direction of some attacks. For example, what if Samus could shoot her charge shot in 8 different directions? Also, imagine finishing a match using a Falcon Punch as a meteor smash. :crazy:
We're still trying to keep the planet on its axis here.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Of course, certain characters would do better on stages with platforms and the such, if it had to be one stage I'd much rather Battlefield or even Smashville. FD is favoring long distance battles and a more campy/projectile based playstyle.

Yeah, I'd never want to have JUST FD, but man it's curious he balances around it.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
To an extent being the keyword, this thing really has me curious. Darn you Sakurai, you're withholding some of the juiciest information!!!

Jasmine Dragon

Smash Cadet

FD has nothing there but the platform and the skill of the fighters. All things being equal it's the perfect spot to balance the game. I do however enjoy the more than occasional match on Summit much do the dismay of everyone I play with!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom