• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Frostwraith, forgive me? :c
You're forgiven. Not that you insulted me in the first place.
Also, you don't have to write lengthy posts to make up a point. It's possible to say much in few words and writing/talking much and saying little.

Or Luigi's Up-Special, so long as it's not nerfed.
That one works too. Rest is still deadlier.

Ganondorf's Warlock Punch would also be quite deadly.

If Sakurai and his team aren't careful with balancing the game, the Villager may well be an overpowered character.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
It's a little bit of both, really. The ones that actually go to physical tourneys, however, tend to look down on the people that play online all the time. There is a division insofar as that goes.

While I personally believe that online play doesn't matter a whit (it can promote a lot of bad habits for your offline play, and sometimes there's a whole different meta depending on what game it is), I will grudgingly bow my head to online warriors (one of many names for online players) that actually practice online and then come to the physical tourneys to put in work. Some of the best Brawl players in the States and even up in Canada played online in ladders, tournaments, and whatnot (I'm sure Automatic can provide a few examples; true recall escapes me at the moment) before making waves in their respective regions in physical tournament play.

Smooth Criminal

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Holy **** Smooth wrote paragraphs. That's awesome. :laugh:

Also I'm posting without having any idea what's going on. Looking through I can't say I'm too interested either.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
@Moon Monkey- [collapse="Since people wish to move forward from the subject, I'll put it in spoilers"]I don't know of anyone that actually likes him, honestly

People from all walks have argued with the homie (except for myself, which is why I don't mind him as much), and if you're wondering why, it's just because of his attitude, really

It's like how I said it before, he talks down to people a lot and acts if he and his arguments are to be taken as the gospel and 100% infallible, and don't even get me started on his prejudice towards the competitive community

He just takes everything way too seriously and pretty much shoves his whole business endeavors and knowledge down our throats. Can't tell you how many times I've seen him tell people disagreeing with him that they don't know anything about "business and finance"

So, yeah, there you go, while I myself am fortunate enough to have not butted heads with him, I can understand why people wouldn't have the highest opinion of him[/collapse]

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
You're forgiven. Not that you insulted me in the first place.
Also, you don't have to write lengthy posts to make up a point. It's possible to say much in few words and writing/talking much and saying little.

That one works too. Rest is still deadlier.

Ganondorf's Warlock Punch would also be quite deadly.

If Sakurai and his team aren't careful with balancing the game, the Villager may well be an overpowered character.
Like I said during a conversation with Demna last night, some of his potentially deadly attacks might be what makes up for otherwise poor direct combat attacks. I have yet to determine this though, I'll be looking forward to seeing what else the Villager can do.

Also, it's very ironic that of all characters, Villager might be an overpowered one.

AvengerX94

Smash Cadet
Seeing the Villager's Down Smash that buries the foes, I thought of a deadly strategy in 2vs2 matches.

Villager's Down Smash followed by Jigglypuff's Rest, anyone?
How about Villager's Down Smash plus Kirby's down special to finish the "job"

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Like I said during a conversation with Demna last night, some of his potentially deadly attacks might be what makes up for otherwise poor direct combat attacks. I have yet to determine this though, I'll be looking forward to seeing what else the Villager can do.

Also, it's very ironic that of all characters, Villager might be an overpowered one.
Well, you have a point, we still don't know what might be the full extent of his strength. We will have to wait and see.

And, yeah, it's very ironic that the Villager could be an overpowered character. "Not suited for fighting," my ass! :rotfl:

Mega Man might have some trouble against characters with reflectors or projectile absorbing moves, considering that he has several projectile moves.
Like how almost every move of his is a reference to his games, having a small pool of original moves. Reminds me of Mr. Game & Watch in that regard.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I think if they made his projectiles powerful or immune to being reflected in order to really make him a threat, that would amp up his viability,

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
I always wondered what defines a "competitive" player. Do you have to actively go to tournaments? Or what if you compete in online ladders/tournaments? I'm not really sure myself lol.
Going to irl tourneys is certainly helpful to get your face out there and meeting people but here's people known as "online warriors" who are seen as competitive despite never stepping foot in a venue. Salem (ZSS), the current APEX winner mostly plays online and he won against M2K who is arguably the most famous smasher out there.

Seeing the Villager's Down Smash that buries the foes, I thought of a deadly strategy in 2vs2 matches.
Villager's Down Smash followed by Jigglypuff's Rest, anyone?
Any grab hold > Rest
ZSS zap gun or D Smash >Rest
Jab locks> Rest
Snake D throw> roll read > Rest
Chaingrab> Rest
Fixed distance throw> Rest
SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICK REAAAAADZ > Rest
EDIT: Everything > Rest
Is SmashChu really THAT hated on this site?
You know what? For the sake of the thread I'll drop it.
I'm guessing he's only hated by a couple of people around the Smash 4 threads. I doubt that anyone outside of these discussions or anyone relevant to a metagame (the "important" people of the community) knows who he is.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
How many times have I been misinterpreted?

I get it from principle. It is a firm belief I hold. Evil is that which ought not to exist. Yet some things are in direct opposition to the natural law, while some things are only at variance, or a lesser, venial degree of evil. I disagree completely with your analysis of hatred making you inherently bigoted. Hatred does not remove the possibility of wisdom and critical thinking, though often, in a very great deal of cases, it does. Most emotions and feelings have a purpose, some are simply far more easily abused than others. For example, God is a jealous god, this does not make him evil, he is jealous of the evil that some men try to supplant him with in their lives.
bwahahahahahahaahahahahahaha. I think we're done here. You can be as principled as you like. I suggest you try looking beyond your Abrahamic viewpoints, though, and that's all I'm going to say on the matter before this thread transmogrifies into something...bad. I'll agree to disagree here.

The statements about 'political correctness' and my comments on M2Ks autism are completely unrelated context-wise, we were, at that point, talking about SmashChu.
Entitlement implies a foreign, sovereign agency giving to one a title. Logically, this title is not natural to them, or they do not have it in some 'official' way. Being that our rights are natural to us, they are not gifted from the state, they are ingrained.
Nah. I'm entitled. I mean, after all, it says in the Bill of Rights that I have freedom of speech, right? That's about as official as it gets.

...this isn't fun. Also wanna throw out there that this:

to give (a person or thing) a title, right, or claim to something; furnish with grounds for laying claim

makes no mention of sovereignty or the state whatsoever! We can designate, or rather, entitle ourselves for that kinda stuff, as arrogant as that is.

If it is what Frostwraith is trying to say, forgive me for my misinterpretation, but I think brevity can be a blinder far more powerful than hatred in its own. It prevents us from analyzing and detailing important semantics. What I said was no 'purple prose'.
Never once did I suggest you must sit by idly and not contest it, in fact, I wish anyone who disagrees to contest it, it is further proof to my point. I AM saying, however, that those who do not wish to be involved in the dialogue should not demand his silence, nor was I suggesting that Frostwraith was one of those people, I was speaking about the dangers of improperly using words.
In this case? Nah. You're not saying anything worth a damn, and you're being repetitious. There's a reason why I don't post on the forums very much, and it's largely because I don't want to be redundant.

Smooth Criminal

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
@~automatic: That's if Jab Locks aren't fixed. (I'd be surprised if they aren't)

I wanna see people rock G&W/Villager team. I can see it now, G&W bucket with Villager's pick up ability, dem bucket kills.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
@~automatic: That's if Jab Locks aren't fixed. (I'd be surprised if they aren't)

I wanna see people rock G&W/Villager team. I can see it now, G&W bucket with Villager's pick up ability, dem bucket kills.
Newbies using MegaMan or Samus (or any character with energy projectile) wouldn't stand a chance against Villager or G&W, let alone a team of the 2 of them.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I wonder if the Villager will be able to catch the every kind of projectille that G&W can absorb, I mean, how could the Villager absorb Pikachu's Thunderbolt? What direction would it go in after? and how would he use the Thunderbolt?

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Guys... The shovel will end up just like the item that sinks you in brawl.

Like, will probably hold them the same amount to, mashing might make it escapable, it could be cool true, but not as crazy as people are saying :p

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
That was a nice interview.
I just cited common stuff from Brawl that my friend who plays as Jigglypuff does in 2v2s.
I doubt that we'll have such physics exploits with a different collision engine. You know, if we get one.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
. . . I suggest you try looking beyond your Abrahamic viewpoints. . . I'll agree to disagree here.
Trust me, I do. Then let us agree to disagree.

I realize my mistake with the semantics of entitlement, but my opinions on the issue concerning natural law and how flawed entitlement mentality is still stand.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Still quite horrified by Sakurai's arm condition. Could seriously get himself treated because I don't know how long this'll persists without affecting SSB4's development majorly.

Also he seems to have confirmed the whole "customization" on 3DS-thing. Miis para-confirmed?

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Interesting interview. I really want to know what this "customization" is now. I can't imagine that it will be anything too crucial or earth-shattering, as otherwise to deny it to WiiU players would be rather lame, and I can't see Sakurai doing that.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
The theory that Sakurai is gonna show us all the stages and characters is looking more likely.

Which playable characters and stages haven't we seen?

Gerudo Valley and 3D Land at least. And I want to get a better look at Gerudo Valley so hard. :shades:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
His shoulder pain is supposedly so bad that he can't even use a mouse anymore... I understand his dedication but he really needs to have corrective surgery because he's been dealing with this since even before Kid Icarus Uprising finished development.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738

Sakurai: As the creator of Kirby, there may have been instances when people thought ohh I made Kirby stronger because I have a preference for him, so I definitely avoid trying to give any sort of preference, and especially even mentioning anything to anybody about—to give them the idea that I like somebody more than the others.

Hahahahaha. I laughed so hard at this because of how true it is.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
That was a nice interview. I feel bad for Sakurai though, when this game is complete he MUST take a vaccation and have some surgery done on his arm.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Why does he keep doing that to himself?

And why do his views on balance and the like seem so vague, if not contradictory.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Yeah... the customization worries me for tournament's sake...
I believe customized characters should simply not be allowed in tournaments. If characters can be given a custom moveset, possesing moves which no one will be able to predict until the fight, this should be banned. Of course, there are probably going to be some players who would want to argue with me on that.

bobadz

Smash Ace
"Kotaku: I know that you can't talk too much about the characters that will be in the next game, but for previous Smash Bros. games, have there ever been characters that you wanted to include but couldn't figure out a good mechanic for them, like a way to fit them into the game?

Sakurai: Yeah, there's been a lot of instances like that. For example, there are places where we planned to have a character but then implementing that character just didn't work out. Or we wanted to implement some character but there was too much overlap with other characters from the same title, and it didn't work out. Or there's places when I wanted to implement some character, but the image for how it works in the game just never comes to fruition."

Interesting.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Sakurai, I want this game as much as anyone, but you really really really need to be considering your health my man. :(

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Although I don't really have any concrete evidence to back this up, I think his favorite character overall is Fox. In all three games so far he's always been above average and the Star Fox franchise always seems to get all the neat little easter eggs in Smash games. I wouldn't be surprised if he eventually tackled the franchise.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Although I don't really have any concrete evidence to back this up, I think his favorite character overall is Fox. In all three games so far he's always been above average and the Star Fox franchise always seems to get all the neat little easter eggs in Smash games. I wouldn't be surprised if he eventually tackled the franchise.

I think he actually was interested in making a Starfox game or a Kid Icarus Game after he finished Brawl, but he then decided to make a game for Kid Icarus if I recall correctly...

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
"Kotaku: I know that you can't talk too much about the characters that will be in the next game, but for previous Smash Bros. games, have there ever been characters that you wanted to include but couldn't figure out a good mechanic for them, like a way to fit them into the game?

Sakurai: Yeah, there's been a lot of instances like that. For example, there are places where we planned to have a character but then implementing that character just didn't work out. Or we wanted to implement some character but there was too much overlap with other characters from the same title, and it didn't work out. Or there's places when I wanted to implement some character, but the image for how it works in the game just never comes to fruition."

Interesting.

This could disconfirm many sorts of characters...

bobadz

Smash Ace
This could disconfirm many sorts of characters...
The follow up question was also interesting.

"Kotaku: Could you give some examples?

Sakurai: Unfortunately, I can't talk about it, because what will happen with those instances in the future is something that is still up for debate."

D

Deleted member

Didn't Sakurai say after the original 64 game that Captain Falcon was his favorite while Mach Rider was his "hopeful" for a potential sequel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom