• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
If I had a twitter this would totally be my favorite hashtag.
And I have nothing to contribute to this thread (A.K.A. like usual),but I'm kinda laughing at the idea that Oasis wants to hug Horsetail and that on Horsetail's screen it reads "You like this"

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Bout time, this stuff needs to get out there as tons of people still say the roster wont be the same.
I agree. Sakurai has finally given a more direct answer on that question.

This sites has been really put to the test these past 2 weeks huh?
Well, Smashboards' Twitter said they would be down for maintenance and that wouldn't take more than one hour... guess things didn't go as intended.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
I'm loving this supportive # thing, it made me actually remember I have a twitter and even got me to log onto it, smash bros is so powerful O_O

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I'm loving this supportive # thing, it made me actually remember I have a twitter and even got me to log onto it, smash bros is so powerful O_O
I rarely use my twitter account myself, but being able to give encouragement to one of favorite devs is is irresistible
Well, Smashboards' Twitter said they would be down for maintenance and that wouldn't take more than one hour... guess things didn't go as intended.
Well it's better they work out the kinks to the site now, rather than later when things might start to pick up.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
I rarely use my twitter account myself, but being able to give encouragement to one of favorite devs is is irresistible

Well it's better they work out the kinks to the site now, rather than later when things might start to pick up.

Agreed, let's get this now NOW instead of it freaking out the day they finalize the cast or something. Though I expect even then the site would be flooded so full it'd explode.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Sakurai is juggling the hopes and affections of literally the entire Nintendo fanbase every time he selects a roster. The man has the weight of the world on his shoulders. I can't even imagine how he does it knowing that no matter what, he will disappoint so many of his fans, and there's nothing he can do about it.

The business ramifications are also immense. To give you a quick example, putting Pit in Brawl was able to bring Kid Icarus back from the dead and establish it as a successful modern Nintendo franchise. Melee did a lot to help Fire Emblem get popular in the West. Sakurai needs to weigh not only fan concerns but also business concerns.
TL;DR

Sakurai is trying to prevent the Butthurtitis epidemic of 2014... but unfortunately he will fail... for it's literally impossible to please everyone.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I appreciate his concern... but it's true. You can't please everyone.

Besides, some franchises might not necessarily need to be represented so bigly as others. I mean, there's some which got some recognition, but hadn't really taken off from there. A lot of Assist Trophy-based franchises, for example.

Dunno, maybe I just think, he could just play bit safe and stay on the whole "popularity contest"-mentality incase this really gets so out-of-control.

I mean I'd be pleased to see PdP and Starfy getting representation, but I dunno if that instantly poses for them to take off into bigger heights. It depends on their respective subsidiaries themselves.

Have to yet see another installment on the both series, anyway...

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Dunno, maybe I just think, he could just play bit safe and stay on the whole "popularity contest"-mentality incase this really gets so out-of-control.
Even if he gives every single one of the top 10 or 12 most requested newcomers, there will still be tons of disappointed fans. No matter what Sakurai does, he is going to end up disappointing tens of thousands of people, if not more, who didn't get to see their favorite Nintendo character in Smash.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
We shouldn't really be jumping the gun anyway, we have only seen three newcomers so far, after all. Let's just wait and see what happens. ;)

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Even if he gives every single one of the top 10 or 12 most requested newcomers, there will still be tons of disappointed fans. No matter what Sakurai does, he is going to end up disappointing tens of thousands of people, if not more, who didn't get to see their favorite Nintendo character in Smash.
I actually agree with this, but I still think it's respectable that Sakurai is trying his best to please as many people as possible.

@Kikwi-Kiwi: Like your new Anna avatar. She looks cute. ^_^

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
People shouldn't really be surprised at this, it's basically just a restatement of his same comments from a few months ago...

Though he can rehash Mario into the ground, saturate the IP to sickening frequency, but no, F-Zero won't sell as much... therefore stuff like HD graphics and online (more than is added per new Mario) isn't enough to make a new game in the series every ten years. Whatever Miyamoto.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Pretty much this.... even if Sakurai keeps everyone from Brawl + brings back Mewtwo, Roy, Dr. Mario, Pichu, Young Link + adds Dixie Kong, Toon Zelda/Toon Sheik, Plusle & Minun + adds Villager, Mega Man, Wii Fit Trainer... there still would be tens of thousands disappointed fans because SSB4 didn't add King K. Rool, Ridley, Palutena, Little Mac, Takamaru, Toad, Krystal, Samurai Goroh, Pac-Man, and many others.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
It's a lot way, inevitable.

One thing that could IMO help this case though is that for the characters that can't be playable (relocated as Assists or not) would be portrayed in a way that is unique to them in means of a category. I always thought that Assists just being another (though more controversial versions) of Pokeballs.

Maybe if they made these "quest characters" have their own way of affecting a stage without being easily related to an existing item before, that could really let them have much more of a favoured category other than "glorified pokeballs to shove away more potential newcomers".

It doesn't need to be a summonable character-thing. But something that makes me think that when I see Lyn, she'll do something that isn't just "glorified Pokeball attack"... something that can't be achieved by Pokeballs or playable characters.

Dunno if people get me here, but hope you do. If Sakurai did that, I'd love to see more cast in variable roles, if it means they're unique only to them.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
This is why I wish Nintendo would just take the Sega route and focus on software. None of these offerings interest me to the point of buying a WiiU. None of these games will provide an experience vastly different than what we've had in previous generations. And yet, this is all that will supposedly keep the console afloat. I grew up with Nintendo mostly because of their multiplayer game offerings (Smash, Goldeneye, PD, MK, DKR, Bomberman64, etc); games with insane replay value that I would play with friends for months on end. Now the trend has gone online when it comes to multiplayer (Xbox Live was reason alone to buy a 360) and it feels like maybe I'm alone in failing to relive childhood memories with Nintendo. It's been 3 generations, Nintendo is still suffering from a lack of third party support (Ubisoft and EA just announced that they won't be working on exclusives until console sales pick up), and I'm supposed to still be excited for Mario Kart? For SNES Donkey Kong in HD? For a WW remake? And after what happened with Brawl, ugh. Anyways, I have one year to think it over... Also, X did look pretty cool. It's kind of strange that we were only given a trailer with no info whatsoever about the game. Is it a JRPG MMO?

But yeah, probably wrong thread to talk about this. Haven't browsed these boards in years.
All indications are that X is an MMO. No definitive word yet. As for Nintendo going the way of Sega, that is the worst thing that could ever happen to them. You pretty much guarantee at that point that half of Nintendo's catalog will be slashed for what sells, just as happened to Sega. Whatever creativity Nintendo has left will fly out the window. Face it, Nintendo is bound to their hardware. You don't want them to become Sega.

That Nintendogs theme is the Bath Time Theme from the original Nintendogs.
Thanks man! Well here is where we're at so far:

Super Smash Bros. Melee - Menu 1
The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks - Realm Overworld
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D - Gerudo Valley
Nintendogs - Bath Time [thanks R.O.B]
Super Mario 3D Land - Main Theme

Animal Crossing - Main Theme
Wii Fit - Yoga
Wii Fit - Options Menu
Megaman 2 - Dr. Wily's Castle
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - Ballad of the Goddess
Animal Crossing: City Folk - City (Day)

He's suffering from tendonitis in his right arm which makes it physically painful for him to play video games now-a-days. Supposedly it started sometime near the tail end of Kid Icarus: Uprising's development.
There's a joke in there somewhere.

The entire afternoon down from 2 PM to now. >_>

In other news, Sakurai confirms again that the roster will be the same in both versions in this new article, where he details differences between versions.
What the heck with Brawl stages not returning because of the 3DS?! I swear I am hating this 3DS game the more I hear.

I've already realized for a long time now that F-Zero isn't coming back. Miyamoto has this idea in his head that he needs to reinvent the wheel with the series, even though all we're asking for really is more of what GX gave us. Sadly, even if Nintendo gave us a new game it is destined for a subpar return on investment, and at the end of the day that is all that matters. :(

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I wasn't surprised by Pit in the slightest. I knew he'd eventually make it into smash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom