• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
Everyone is talking about PS4 and Xboxone and not Wii U or any of the games for Wii U.
They're the newest consoles; of course they'll receive all the buzz even if it's negative like the X1's.
Last year and the year before people were talking about Nintendo's new console while Sony was trying to sell people on great looking games (and the lol Wonderbook). New consoles are great attention grabbers.

However, knowing the ins and outs of a stage can defintly work as an advantage. For example, knowing the mechanics of Frigate Orpheon can help against uninformed opponents, as you can catch them off-gaurd.
Frigate was one of my favourite counter stages. Sometimes I'd get a low percatnage KO with thunder when the stage flipped which was super helpful against people who were better than me but still got hit by uber gimmicky stuff, lol.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Youtube
>Villager and Wii Fit Trainer being in the game is somehow not creative.
>Wants **** ton of Sonic characters.
Yeah the last place I'm going to look for Smash Brothers roster talk is youtube. I'd probably go to gamefaqs before I'd even do that.

Yes, the inclusion of WFT enrages me and hurts my butt. Lemme lone. :smirk:
We've had a different taste in characters ever since you thought Ghirahim deserved a gallery of gifs... :p

But I just wanted to have a good character support thread, and I thought I did a really good job compared to most you jerk. oh god why won't people post there... they're just butthurt...

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
It's a lot worse on Miiverse; I've seen people constantly asking for Goku, Superman and MLP characters.
This is the reason that I confine myself to this community in regards to Smash.
Regardless of the silly arguments this place at least has sense and takes things somewhat seriously and doesn't make too many trolly hypotheses.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
I wouldn't come anywhere but here to talk about the roster

Not because of "Oh my god, they want an anime character in Smash, they're such bad people" though

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
You guys don't know about Chris The Ripper. This place has gotten as time goes on it seems. It was worse about a year ago lol.

What did I call the problem our thread had? Full-Circle-Theory or something along those lines.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I expect the character count somewhere between 48 - 52

I expect all newcomers to be interesting playstyle wise

I expect Pac-Man, Little Mac, Miis, Mewtwo, Dixie Kong, Chrom

This is all I expect

And, there are some nicer places to talk about Smash. SerenesForest, NeoGaf, and Serebii aren't bad by any means. Just stop going to places that everyone goes full ******.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
When it comes to being mad about it, yeah, it is a matter of being butthurt. Someone creating their image of what is right, and that being shattered, and then they get mad that Sakurai didn't do what he/she wanted, then that's being butthurt. I don't anyone is going to argue that if anyone lacks a sense of taste with her that what they are is "butthurt", that completely defies the definition. It would also fly in the face of the definition if we called people butthurt who simply just don't have the taste to enjoy her.
Pretty much. Varies how much they think if it is "right" and how they act around it with themselves and other people. Everyone gets their own impression of SSB and definitely not everyone will have it one and exact same. Hence why we'll see people being mad about WTF-characters overall.

But man, things are still so young... how I wish to double the time.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I agree with your points about the game not being that bad but the E3 didn't state this or create the hype it should have. It very well could have been that Sakurai was rushed into this reveal in the first place to generate hype for Wii U and increase sales. Overall, I thought Nintendo had a decent lineup but it didn't get them out of the "shadow" they are currently in.

Everyone is talking about PS4 and Xboxone and not Wii U or any of the games for Wii U.
That's been the state of Nintendo consoles since the Gamecube. E3 2006 was probably the only E3 in the past decade where a Nintendo console got the most attention. The PS4 arguably ran away with the show simply because the XBox One failed so spectacularly and Sony capitalized on it in just about every imaginable way. When it comes to Nintendo consoles, they're used to being in the shadow. Nintendo's kind of like a big, dopey elephant that just goes about at its own pace and does whatever it wants. Sometimes it works really well and sometimes it doesn't but they keep plugging along no matter what they're up against. With the runaway success of the Wii, DS, and 3DS and last year being the first time in 30 years that the company has shown any sort of loss, they can easily afford to have a few "meh" years or even a "meh" generation.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
This is the mentality I am talking about. After Brawl trailer everyone was excited and had great expectations. Now it is just doom and gloom. I just want my xxx veteran to return because I have so little faith in the next Smash Brothers game.

Sakurai needed to squesh this attitude at E3 and he did totally the opposite.

Why not give us the 50-60 characters people want and give us a game that will make people want to buy the Wii U and dig his company out of the hole.

A lot of people still do have great expectations a few even have greater expectations, taking sakurai's inclusion of Fitgirl as a sign that the commonly accepted pool of characters is extremely biased. Though we have varying ideas and viewpoints we can generally agree on a set of characters that would fit best based on a set of requirements we largely made up. We expect the "hardcore" but to the public relatively unknown characters to show up. This isn't brawl where we had characters like wario and pokemon trainer who could appeal to both the dedicated and the casual nintendo fans. The characters constantly being tossed around here, with the exception of mewtwo and maybe one other, would primarily just excite only the truly dedicated. You have tho realize we're a minority and a picky one at that. Sakurai is not out to just satisfy us. And even when he does throw you a bone you get mad that it wasn't enough. He gave you ****ing Mega man. The Mega Man. The Mega man that fanboys have been ccrying for years to get into smash. The Mega Man that has MIA for so long and desperately needed a revival. The Mega Man that was constantly voted THE most wanted new comer, even over nintendo's own franchises. But his reception from your perception wasn't big enough and he was alone as far as characters that only the hardcore wanted so his debut didn't make an impact, right?

Let's for a second assume sakurai just did give us 50 characters that "people" wanted, the game wouldn't sell the same. You can't just go up to somebody and say this new game has Ridley, Takamaru, And Shulk you should definitely play it! They're going to look at you like who? But if you did the same thing with say Villager, Pac Man, and Mii, you're much more likely to get a positive or at least interested response. Sakurai has already sold us on the game and to keep us here he has given us mega man and will give us a few others. Let him sell the game to others too, the others that actually far outnumber us.

EDIT: Hokage actually made me support bomberman less >_>. Dude was a mess.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Someone made a cool Kid Goku trailer where they edited in Goku's silhouette over Mega Man's. I want to see more of these now. :laugh:

Need one for Darth Vader now. :laugh:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Any of you guys remember someone named Phostephelles, or something? The guy with the Tingle avatar. He left one day in a fit of rage after finding out that grown men still played Pokemon, and he couldn't handle it. Never seen again. :laugh:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Dis: This is all true, but SSB has introduced us to a lot of things we didn't have much knack to check around before it.

Besides I dunno, I feel like for casuals we start to run out of characters (I mean I guess now Mii and Pac-Man, heck, Toad as well, can't think more before we should just resort to more uniquely done, casual-pandering audience.) before we move on more fan-depth requested characters. We will eventually, unless we should get more WFTs and Villagers from who-knows-what this time.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Well I am getting a different vibe from the posters in this thread then I have gotten the last week were people were meh about the trailer and about the game in general. I sat at a table with friends and I was the only one that even had a positive attitude about WFT. I guess people are warming up to it overtime.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Sakurai wants to pander to all audiences and has given signs of such already. He has included Villager and Wii Fit Trainer, but I think he will include other characters from older games. Sakurai has stated he wanted to bring back some of the older Nintendo characters like he did with the Ice Climbers and Mr. Game & Watch in Melee and with Pit in Brawl.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Any of you guys remember someone named Phostephelles, or something? The guy with the Tingle avatar. He left one day in a fit of rage after finding out that grown men still played Pokemon, and he couldn't handle it. Never seen again. :laugh:
LOL, what happened to that Nines guy who talked down on anyone who enjoyed brawl and tried to get the Melee section of this site to hate on us with him.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I hope we're done with the Mario games for a while after 3D Mario releases. Nintendo. I'm NOT buying anymore Mario. Sorry. Bring me new IP, X, F-Zero, Star Fox, Metroid, ect. No more ****ing LoZ, DK, and Mario!

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
LOL, what happened to that Nines guy who talked down on anyone who enjoyed brawl and tried to get the Melee section of this site to hate on us with him.

I could swear he got banned, although that could have been that Mars guy.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
Sakurai wants to pander to all audiences and has given signs of such already. He has included Villager and Wii Fit Trainer, but I think he will include other characters from older games. Sakurai has stated he wanted to bring back some of the older Nintendo characters like he did with the Ice Climbers and Mr. Game & Watch in Melee and with Pit in Brawl.
Sakurai said:
I am planning on doing my best to bring old characters back in Smash Bros. From that perspective, I am probably in the most fortunate position in the world.
This quote here is why I think that people who are doomcalling for older characters after the reveal of Villager and WFT are ridiculous.

Sakurai said:
At this point we have no plans for downloadable content. Our goal is to have a Smash Bros. that has enough content, in terms of characters and stages, and that’s where all our energies are focused. There’s no fundamental opposition to downloadable content if it’s something that felt like it worked. We haven’t really decided whether we’re going to do it or not. We’re not opposed to it, we just need to work on completing the full package.”
This makes me feel actually pretty good about the roster size. I was disheartened initially by the comment about the 3DS limitation comment, but the fact that their energies are focused on having many characters and stages is a really good thing to hear. In Brawl, it seemed like most of their energy was focused on having as many bloated features as they could stuff onto a dual layered Wii disc. I think Sakurai may have learned his lesson.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I hope we're done with the Mario games for a while after 3D Mario releases. Nintendo. I'm NOT buying anymore Mario. Sorry. Bring me new IP, X, F-Zero, Star Fox, Metroid, ect. No more ****ing LoZ, DK, and Mario!
Give it time. None of the franchises you listed are really system sellers which is why it's realistic to not expect any of them until at least next E3.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Yeah, thinking back, it was definitely Mars that got the ban, not nines.

I guess it just goes to show, the more things change, the more they stay the same. We complain now about the more rowdy and controversial users, but looking back? It really was the same thing.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
I'm burned out on character discussion right now. At this point I'm more interested in what the differences will be between both games. Outside of stages we really didn't hear much. One thing interesting about today's pic of the day is how the Battlefield on the 3DS looks different from the one on the Wii U even though they are the same stage. I think we'll see several other stages like that. In fact, my gut tells me Arena Ferox will be one of those stages.

I'm equally interested in what options will be available for online battles. One of the key things Brawl lacked that would have made the online experience more tolerable is regional settings. Being able to limit matches would have helped alleviate the lag issue.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I want an all out online mode. I'm tired of Nintendo treating us like children, and having so many restrictions when it comes to strangers. I'm a big boy and can add people I've never met. Besides, you know 10 year olds are already doing that with CoD on the PS3.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Adding friends wasn't Brawl's biggest problem, it was the dang lack of features. Every match was forced to a 2 min Brawl for the sole reason of Spectator Mode. I understand they need to have matches moving, but they could have easily had stock set with time.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Yeah he left because of asage :laugh:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Oh god, I remember that. The word "sausage" will forever live on in the history of these threads...

Remember Smash Wimp? I would love it if he came back, and said his trademark, "Any big news?" quote.

volbound1700

Smash Master
This makes me feel actually pretty good about the roster size. I was disheartened initially by the comment about the 3DS limitation comment, but the fact that their energies are focused on having many characters and stages is a really good thing to hear. In Brawl, it seemed like most of their energy was focused on having as many bloated features as they could stuff onto a dual layered Wii disc. I think Sakurai may have learned his lesson.

AGAIN THIS IS MORE PROOF OF MY POINT THAT E3 WAS BOTCHED. People on here keep reading into my posts that I actually do not like WFT (which is the opposite). My point is I am just stating that E3 got us all confused and worried about the game and not hyped by it. When in reality, Sakurai is probably making a game we will all love.

The no tripping is already a big plus.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'm sorry, how can anyone say Sakurai botched the reveal of Super Smash Bros. Wii Fit Trainer was a perfect E3 reveal and much better than any other Nintendo character they could have had besides Villager. The meltdown of this community was priceless, and she looks so bizarre I actually really want to play as her.
I think that if Wii Fit Trainer looked like a normal human woman instead of a mannequin, people might be more disappointed that they put in a mundane yoga instructor in Smash over someone more fantastical like a space dragon or a goddess of light. You are right... she looks so bizarre but it works for her.

JavaCroc

Smash Ace
Although I don't quite share your frustration with the current release lineup, Nintendo sure could introduce more variety in it's new releases. Though Fatmanonice made a good point; unfortunately, Nintendo doesn't have much franchises it can make easy money off of right now while the company still tries to energize the very slow sales growth of the Wii U.

Starphoenix

NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Considering Sakurai has changed his mind on several things already, I have a feeling he is going to change his mind on online ranking. Most fighting games already present people both ranked and unranked matches as options, and I really cannot see a reason why Sakurai and Namco won't do the same since they are trying to make this game a bridge between Melee and Brawl. If Mario Kart is able to do this then surely Super Smash Bros can too.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Funny thing is, I was the one that called him sausage when he first joined, and he snapped on me :laugh:

Then Oasis started calling him sausage again and he ain't know how to react, actually I think that's what he left in the first place LOL

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Oh god, I remember that. The word "sausage" will forever live on in the history of these threads...

Remember Smash Wimp? I would love it if he came back, and said his trademark, "Any big news?" quote.
He's really good friends with XXIVIIIXIIIVEVEEIXXXVIXXXx, or whatever his real name is. He's still around

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom