• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I'm almost sure that we won't have the type of cuts people are expecting, and why should there be? This isn't like Melee where Dr. Mario and Pichu were blatant filler added on the whim of the developers, every character in Brawl, with the exception of a few, were exactly what people were asking for regarding the roster. There's no reason we cannot have a decently sized and varied roster with minimal to no cuts. Technology certainly isn't the limiting factor here.
Hmmmm...yh seems to be ''Time'' Like everything.....

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I'm almost sure that we won't have the type of cuts people are expecting, and why should there be? This isn't like Melee where Dr. Mario and Pichu were blatant filler added on the whim of the developers, every character in Brawl, with the exception of a few, were exactly what people were asking for regarding the roster. There's no reason we cannot have a decently sized and varied roster with minimal to no cuts. Technology certainly isn't the limiting factor here.

People like to feel paranoid and expect the worse when it comes to entertainment.

Otherwise the internet would be a boring place and message boards wouldn't exist.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Wii Fit Trainer is definitely a better addtion than Dr.Mario. I can at least agree with that.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Part of me worries about the FInal Destination stage. I mean I know it'll look great with interesting music, but I'm sure many of us loved picking it a lot at the beginning of the Brawl times, and look at many ppl who just well... how to say it nicely... addicted to picking that place (take a look at basic brawlers; often if it aint Temple, it's FD), as if they live on it. Granted, I used to be one of those FD-addicted guys in the early times, but I got over the habit, and went to being more versatile and picked different stages. That obviously helped me improve as a player.
W/e is Smash4's equivalent of Basic Brawls, we might as well be ready for FD overload.

Remember: Variety is good.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I'm still going to wait at least for someone I wanted to see in Smash before I really feel like warming up to WFT and what's-to-become-other-WTF-stuff.

On the other hand I don't like that people can't accept there will be people who WON'T like WFT, no matter how unique she is.

I don't see why they're deemed to be "wrong" or "butthurt": maybe they're just fearing that SSB4 won't become their kind of a game. And IMO I suggest trying to assure them SSB4's not "done" for them and they shouldn't anymore waste their time or "eat up or leave out" from it incase they don't like what Sakurai added. Otherwise you guys sound bit unwilling to understand and socialize.

I mean a lot of us have our own visions on SSB being a "Nintendo All Star" and such, and when someone sees WFT as not being one, it doesn't mean they have some "twisted" or "selfish" version of SSB-series if so. Or shortly, they're wanting some impossible-miles-going-choices like Geno or Goku or let's say, ordinary wish like "Ridley" or "K.Rool" and so on. Hell, Waluigi, or better extent, Bowser Jr.

I mean yeah, maybe they might get petty and such, but I don't think it helps to tell them that they're just "butthurt" and their inclusions are much inferior to what Sakurai added and so on. Maybe we could have had even more bigger hypeups than WFT and just because she was so unusual doesn't mean it's so best and so unique, it makes every naysayer be portrayed as selfish and butthurt "fanboys". I'm sure they have their wishes to see in SSB but now they're encouraged to whine because it seems now that they're not going to see them because lol Sakurai is Sakurai and his choices are always best = could mean he can just go all whack. Are you trying to drive more people away from this series because their wishes are "inferior" and they don't have much choice to "wish" because it's deemed inferior to what Sakurai adds nonetheless, and if they don't LIKE IT, it's being "butthurt"? By this logic we should just abandon the choices the people want here too because why service the selfish and dumb "fanboys" because SSB4's clearly not for them if they don't like WFT and hell, Villager even. The bad part though about this is we lose another audience for SSB and it's bit going against what the series is known also being great for: bringing all kinds of Nintendo-fans together, no matter how casual or hardcore, or fanboyishly die-hard. And that all yadda-booboob.

I'm not trying to defend stupid fanboys here or anything, but I just wish we all could get along. And SSB4 will bring in as much different kind of people, both casual and hardcore, which is why I hope Sakurai doesn't abandon our popular requests. It means we lose more audiences, and just if SSB-fandom wasn't divided enough here, gosh-
Maybe the fanboys might exaggarate and such, but that's why I suggest to tell them facts and assure them they shouldn't give up hope on their wanted characters because oh look a character you don't like but SSB4 includes it. I mean I had that phase but that's why I hope we all could understand and try to get along. And it's OKAY to not like WFT, maybe you have just different view on SSB and what is a "deserving" character on your opinion, but it shouldn't mean YOU SHOULD BECOME SAKURAI in order to enjoy and appreciate SSB-series fully. Craziness and how well it's done aside. And not saying everyone who likes WFT have. Just, don't say that because we don't like WFT means we don't appreciate how "great Sakurai's choices are, they practically **** on your wanted characters". I know it's out-of-nowhere, but the risk ws always there: there'll be an outrage. Because we're not Sakurai, and thus, it's a high probability that not everyone will like the choice.

We'll always be disappointed and everything this fella does won't satisfy everybody. I don't want to blame any of the sides though.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Part of me worries about the FInal Destination stage. I mean I know it'll look great with interesting music, but I'm sure many of us loved picking it a lot at the beginning of the Brawl times, and look at many ppl who just well... how to say it nicely... addicted to picking that place (take a look at basic brawlers; often if it aint Temple, it's FD), as if they live on it. Granted, I used to be one of those FD-addicted guys in the early times, but I got over the habit, and went to being more versatile and picked different stages. That obviously helped me improve as a player.
W/e is Smash4's equivalent of Basic Brawls, we might as well be ready for FD overload.

Remember: Variety is good.

I never had that problem, because I'm casual, and I usually picked WarioWare, Inc., Halberd, and Flat Zone 2. Variety is fun. :chuckle:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Been hyped so long for this game before we knew anything. Am still willing to wait out till we actually get something I want. And am bracing myself for the dissapointment of no K.Rool, no Isaac, no Mewtwo, and no Impa.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I'm still going to hold my breath for King K. Rool, Ridley and Lil Mac.
Idk if I can really get disappointed with this game; They seem to doing so much right!
Even if they don't return I'll still be happy to play the game.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I never had that problem, because I'm casual, and I usually picked WarioWare, Inc., Halberd, and Flat Zone 2. Variety is fun. :chuckle:
And there I prefer something like Brinstar or Skyworld to suppress those noobs who rely on gang-ups to win, etc. Even some of the non-FD neutrals are okay too.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
As long as I have Diddy and better balance, a better metagame and better speed and combo-play than Brawl's, I'll probably enjoy playing the game.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Has Retro explicitly noted that K. Rool won't be in Tropical Freeze? Not to get anyone's hopes up but I could easily see him being the main villain at the end of the game in a Viking motif. Either way, I think there's going to be one more game after Tropical Freeze to make a triology and he'll either appear in this game or the next just because so many people have been asking where he's been.

YoshiSonic

Smash Ace
Sakura...where are the major updates? A confirmation of assist trophies would be nice..or the new look of the smash trophies..you need your time picking out the new characters because they can break or make the game, but we need just some semi updates that will keep the fan base upbeat.

bobadz

Smash Ace
Has Retro explicitly noted that K. Rool won't be in Tropical Freeze? Not to get anyone's hopes up but I could easily see him being the main villain at the end of the game in a Viking motif. Either way, I think there's going to be one more game after Tropical Freeze to make a triology and he'll either appear in this game or the next just because so many people have been asking where he's been.
I don't believe they mentioned him.
Sakura...where are the major updates? A confirmation of assist trophies would be nice..or the new look of the smash trophies..you need your time picking out the new characters because they can break or make the game, but we need just some semi updates that will keep the fan base upbeat.
Give it a month or two.

Platsy

Smash Mouth
NNID
Cyani-Oxide
All I really want in terms of characters are Little Mac and/or Palutena. If we get one of those, I'll be perfectly fine. Gameplay-wise, I hope we get a more offense based metagame, and better balance.

Above all however, I just want better online. No DCing every 3 matches, no taunt parties, and no lag causing 2 minute matches to turn into 9 minute ones.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

I'm really not thinking this is the case. Especially since some of the Vikings, especially the larger ones, are looking to be inspired by Kremlings. That and the plot revolts around the Kongs travelling to distant islands (5 of them). And I'd doubt King K.Rool would try and freeze DK Island over. By some plot-twist, of coarse it'd work. But DKC is generally not like that.

Also, do some people remember this:

However, with the Vikings taking over the main role as villains and not Tikis, it's still true that K.Rool is still the biggest and most influential villain throughout the DKC series. And am having no doubts that they will likely use the Kremlings for the next game. So yeah, King K.Rool still stands a chance. But am still holding my breath for him...

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
As long as I have Bowser and better balance, a better metagame and better speed and combo-play than Brawl's, I'll probably enjoy playing the game.[/quote]

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
The best way to not be disappointed is to not have high expectations.

I also would like to see certain characters, but I always consider all possibilities, no matter how good or bad they are. People only get disappointed because they mostly set themselves up for such.

That's why I haven't been too passionate in supporting characters and rarely talk about characters. I comment on their chances, make some movesets here and there and that's all.

Would it be cool to have Ridley in? Yeah, sure. Would it be cool to see Mewtwo return? Yes. But is it the end of the world or will the game be bad because of a character not appearing? No.

There are some people that put their expectations too high and... the higher you go, the more painful will be your fall. That's how I see it and that's why I keep my expectations as low as possible.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I'm pretty optimistic that Smash 4 will have better tier balance than Brawl (as Sakurai isn't alone). However, I still hate picking counter stages against characters like MK haha (though I understand it's part of the metagame). I mean Jungle Japes and Yoshi's Island (Melee) is cool and all, but it also doesn't do justice to some fighters that I main.

However, knowing the ins and outs of a stage can definitely work as an advantage. For example, knowing the mechanics of Frigate Orpheon can help against uninformed opponents, as you can catch them off-gaurd.

I'm looking forward to the variety of stages, as you probably know, there are a lot of innovative ideas out there.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I agree with your points about the game not being that bad but the E3 didn't state this or create the hype it should have. It very well could have been that Sakurai was rushed into this reveal in the first place to generate hype for Wii U and increase sales. Overall, I thought Nintendo had a decent lineup but it didn't get them out of the "shadow" they are currently in.

Everyone is talking about PS4 and Xboxone and not Wii U or any of the games for Wii U.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
The best way to not be disappointed is to not have high expectations.

I also would like to see certain characters, but I always consider all possibilities, no matter how good or bad they are. People only get disappointed because they mostly set themselves up for such.

That's why I haven't been too passionate in supporting characters and rarely talk about characters. I comment on their chances, make some movesets here and there and that's all.

Would it be cool to have Ridley in? Yeah, sure. Would it be cool to see Mewtwo return? Yes. But is it the end of the world or will the game be bad because of a character not appearing? No.

There are some people that put their expectations too high and... the higher you go, the more painful will be your fall. That's how I see it and that's why I keep my expectations as low as possible.

I couldn't agree more. Every player should have this attitude. I am hoping for a Wars rep, but it won't be the end of the world if I don't get one. I'll play and have fun with Peach, Zelda, and whatever neat newcomers we get. Sakurai has proven that no matter who he picks, they'll be awesome to play as.

I agree with your points about the game not being that bad but the E3 didn't state this or create the hype it should have..
The large amount of hype for this game would seem to indicate otherwise. Just because you don't like WFT doesn't mean that she wasn't a pick that generated a ton of hype. Nintendo couldn't dig themselves out of their hole because they didn't announce quite enough new games or give the WiiU a price cut.

volbound1700

Smash Master
As long as I have Diddy and better balance, a better metagame and better speed and combo-play than Brawl's, I'll probably enjoy playing the game.
This is the mentality I am talking about. After Brawl trailer everyone was excited and had great expectations. Now it is just doom and gloom. I just want my xxx veteran to return because I have so little faith in the next Smash Brothers game.

Sakurai needed to squesh this attitude at E3 and he did totally the opposite.

Why not give us the 50-60 characters people want and give us a game that will make people want to buy the Wii U and dig his company out of the hole.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
I agree with your points about the game not being that bad but the E3 didn't state this or create the hype it should have. It very well could have been that Sakurai was rushed into this reveal in the first place to generate hype for Wii U and increase sales. Overall, I thought Nintendo had a decent lineup but it didn't get them out of the "shadow" they are currently in.

Everyone is talking about PS4 and Xboxone and not Wii U or any of the games for Wii U.
Nintendo isn't in a shadow when Smash mentioned by itself brings people running.

Here's why it seems that Nintendo is in a "shadow"

1) They aren't Microsoft and trying to dig their own grave
2) They aren't Sony who are constantly making fun of Microsoft.

Microsoft and Sony are the modern versions of Sega and Nintendo back during the console wars, it's just more one-sided this time.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
On the other hand I don't like that people can't accept there will be people who WON'T like WFT, no matter how unique she is.
When it comes to being mad about it, yeah, it is a matter of being butthurt. Someone creating their image of what is right, and that being shattered, and then they get mad that Sakurai didn't do what he/she wanted, then that's being butthurt. I don't anyone is going to argue that if anyone lacks a sense of taste with her that what they are is "butthurt", that completely defies the definition. It would also fly in the face of the definition if we called people butthurt who simply just don't have the taste to enjoy her.

That said, I still don't much care for her, but I appreciate what she brings. Just not for me. :/
HOW DARE YOU HAVE DIFFERENT TASTES THAN ME, U MAD? U BUTTHURT N3ON?

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357

This trailer didn't generate hype? Guess all the pictures of Wii Fit Trainer and Villager circulating all over the Internet are brain illusions I'm having.

When I saw the trailer, I was hyped as hell and it caught me completely off guard.

I admit one thing, however: I'm not as hyped as I was in Brawl, but then again, I was 12 (close to 13) when Brawl was unveiled, while I'm now 20 years old.
I'm a different person than what I was before, as in, I'm not as passionate for Smash as I was when I was younger, but I'm still excited for the new game and look forward to the upcoming surprises Sakurai and his team have in stock and, who knows, maybe I will even be more hyped for this game as more information comes out. Only time will tell.

For now, what I'm probably looking forward the most is the fact that there will be a handheld version of the game, allowing me to play on the go, which was something I always wished for this series and it's a dream come true.

And LOL people talking about Xbox One. More like, bashing Xbox One. :p

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Why not give us the 50-60 characters people want and give us a game that will make people want to buy the Wii U and dig his company out of the hole.

Why would Sakurai announce the finalized size of the character roster a year away from release?

Sakurai has said that "we are working as hard as we can to include as many characters as possible". What about that doesn't indicate a big roster size?

People need to stop taking a years-old interview as evidence that SSB4 is going to have a 20-character roster.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Why would Sakurai announce the finalized size of the character roster a year away from release?

Sakurai has said that "we are working as hard as we can to include as many characters as possible". What about that doesn't indicate a big roster size?
With his comment about the 3DS' limitations, it seems more like he's trying to cram as much characters as he can into a tiny area. Which indicates to me there isn't going to be a large roster size

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
This is the mentality I am talking about. After Brawl trailer everyone was excited and had great expectations. Now it is just doom and gloom. I just want my xxx veteran to return because I have so little faith in the next Smash Brothers game.

Sakurai needed to squesh this attitude at E3 and he did totally the opposite.

People want 50-60 characters? I can honestly say that I hope the number of characters is a very low priority for SSB4. I'd much rather wish for fun gameplay and balance, which gets harder with more characters. SSB4 doesn't need 50-60 characters to sell. It's Smash Bros. It's going to sell regardless.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
For this game I pretty much wanted the whole Smash64 roster, A few others that were included in Brawl and Melee, Mewtwo to come back, and Villager.
To be honest, I never had the same childhood memories that everyone else had about Mega Man, but I have played his older games (recently, within the year, so I have no nostalgia about it at all).

Doesn't make me any less stoked for Mega Man. And Villager. And Wii Fit Trainer. At this rate, I doubt they could put a character in that wouldn't impress me.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
People want 50-60 characters? I can honestly say that I hope the number of characters is a very low priority for SSB4. I'd much rather wish for fun gameplay and balance, which gets harder with more characters. SSB4 doesn't need 50-60 characters to sell. It's Smash Bros. It's going to sell regardless.
This. I'm not looking for some crazy amount of characters like a DBZ game (granted I love DBZ: Budokai 3). I just want the game to be balanced. If lose Sonic and gain Megaman, that's a fair trade in my eyes. However, I think it would be smart to reintroduce Sonic.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Youtube
>Villager and Wii Fit Trainer being in the game is somehow not creative.
>Wants **** ton of Sonic characters.
It's a lot worse on Miiverse; I've seen people constantly asking for Goku, Superman and MLP characters.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Youtube
>Villager and Wii Fit Trainer being in the game is somehow not creative.
>Wants **** ton of Sonic characters.
Tsk Tsk youtube comments :/ even as big of a Sonic fan I am, don't really want more then just Sonic in there even if it would be kinda cool. But yea, logically no more, I'm liking the Villager, Megaman and WFT just fine :D. I'm sure Sakurai knows who to add.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
It's a lot worse on Miiverse; I've seen people constantly asking for Goku, Superman and MLP characters.

At the very least, we can at least find solace in the fact that their requests really won't matter. Sakurai has really high character standards.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
With his comment about the 3DS' limitations, it seems more like he's trying to cram as much characters as he can into a tiny area. Which indicates to me there isn't going to be a large roster size

Exhaustive debate on that post has made it pretty clear that Sakurai was most likely talking about characters with complex programming, such as Ice Climbers, and not actual roster size. He said "we may need to reduce some characters to a certain degree", not "we may need to cut characters". We all just took his quote the wrong way.

As people have pointed out, the 3DS cartridge can hold up to 8GB of information, and Brawl's character data only took up 2GB.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Exhaustive debate on that post has made it pretty clear that Sakurai was most likely talking about characters with complex programming, such as Ice Climbers, and not actual roster size. He said "we may need to reduce some characters to a certain degree", not "we may need to cut characters". We all just took his quote the wrong way.

As people have pointed out, the 3DS cartridge can hold up to 8GB of information, and Brawl's character data only took up 2GB.

HEY LOOK I WISH I COULD LIKE THIS POST OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN

Smooth Criminal

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908

And yet, no matter how many times this is said, people still seem to think there's a data limitation on the 3DS.
Always. ;u;

Good post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom