• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
@ corn, I dont see ridley as being scary, bright colors or not sakurai can make it work.

I can see him playing kinda like MK imo.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Some people ask what the appeal of Ridley is and it mainly boils down to that aside from K. Rool (who hasn't had a major role in a game since 2008), he's the only noteworthy Nintendo villain left that's on the same level as Bowser or Ganondorf. He's been around since 1986 and is in all but three Metroid games (Return of Samus, Prime: Echos, Prime: Hunters), which actually gives him a higher percentage of appearances than the two I just mentioned. Where there's Samus, Ridley is rarely far behind. He appeared in the background of Zebes in Super Smash Bros, he was seen with her in the opening cut scene of Melee, he appeared in the Other M stage in Dead or Alive Dimensions, and he was a boss in Nintendo Land.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Michael Myers confirmed for Smash.

Sorry I thought we were discussing reps that are too scary for Smash getting in.

My bad.

[Corn]

Smash Ace
@ corn, I dont see ridley as being scary, bright colors or not sakurai can make it work.

I can see him playing kinda like MK imo.

You have a large Dragon with sharp teeth next to a smiling Ape with a Tie. Its clear to me that he would be the darkest character in terms of looks in the entire roster.

Hickory

Smash Cadet
Guys, Solid Snake was in a Smash Bros game. Let's put this "too scary/mature" crap to bed.

Sakurai definitely knows that Ridley has been heavily campaigned for. Nintendo knows that these boards exist. Ridley has a great shot at making it in.

D

Deleted member

Too scary?
Fine, here you go.

Now he's too cute? Ok, then here:

Now he's too ugly? Sheesh, so picky. Then here:

Now he's too cartoonish? Make up your damn mind!

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Too scary?
Fine, here you go.

Now he's too cute? Ok, then here:

Now he's too ugly? Sheesh, so picky. Then here:

Now he's too cartoonish? Make up your damn mind!
I'll make up my damn mind when Ridley makes up his

[Corn]

Smash Ace
Guys, Solid Snake was in a Smash Bros game. Let's put this "too scary/mature" crap to bed.

Sakurai definitely knows that Ridley has been heavily campaigned for. Nintendo knows that these boards exist. Ridley has a great shot at making it in.

Im not saying that the character has 0% chance of making it, Im saying that the character doesnt look right in the smashverse. Snake honestly looked terrible amongst the other characters, but brawl had darker graphics that made him blend in better.

We need to cut Bowser then. Clearly you have a thing against reptiles.

Smooth Criminal

Bowser is an idiot type villian who has never killed ever,regularly drives carts, plays golf, and is a talkative humaniod. He certainly has been made into a fool/lovable character. Bowsers Inside Story for example.
Ridley is a sadistic murderer who doesnt talk and isnt humaniod.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
You have a large Dragon with sharp teeth next to a smiling Ape with a Tie. Its clear to me that he would be the darkest character in terms of looks in the entire roster.
Then lets just cut bowser and ganon because they are too "scary". (sarcasm)

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Corn is like the reverse of the Anti-Animal Crossing Rep comments.

''TOO VIOLENT!" instead of ''NOT VIOLENT ENOUGH."

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Bowser is an idiot type villian who has never killed ever,regularly drives carts, plays golf, and is a talkative humaniod. He certainly has been made into a fool/lovable character. Bowsers Inside Story for example.
Ridley is a sadistic murderer who doesnt talk and isnt humaniod.
Tell me, where does Ganondorf fit into this?

D

Deleted member

Hear that? It's fine if you're an evil ******* murderer as long as you look human!
That's why Ganondorf is acceptable even while he strangles people with dark energized hands and why Ridley is not!

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
You can be a human and kill people.
Or you can not be a human and not kill people.

But if you're not a human AND you're killing people...

clearly this is obviously a big no no.

[Corn]

Smash Ace
Tell me, where does Ganondorf fit into this?

He fits the appearance of a Humanish character who can talk and do basic things in brawl, he doesnt meet the lovable whatever one of course. But look at his beast form, I rarely see people asking that to be a seperate character.

Could you convince me how he could possibly fit in this games artstyle/playstyle? I just cannot see him not flying around and such.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Ridley would use bites, slashes, tail whips and energy beams. These already exist in Smash.

Ridley fits. His purple color would SHINE with the new color palette.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I don't know how you can say Ridley isn't humanoid anyway? His frame, outside of the tail and wings, is pretty standard. It's a silly thing to argue anyhow, since it doesn't matter at all.

D

Deleted member

That's because his "beast form" in Brawl was a lame pig-wolf thing.

Anybody who knows anything about Zelda knows the only acceptable "beast" Ganon is blue pig Ganon. But...he's incredibly unlikely and Ganondorf's is just asiconic as his Gerudo state and is already in Smash as such.

Now, since apparently humanoid people that can talk that are undeniably evil and murderous are ok, then Hades is the perfect candidate as he isn't "too scary" by that logic.

Or even better; Medusa.
No, not the sexy version, but her true self (which is still humanoid).

She's still humanoid; she just has the horribly scary face of a Gorgon as a curse by Palutena. And unlike Hades, there is no sense of humor from her.
And even better; she can detach her head and attack with it.
That's perfectly acceptable, unlike Ridley.

[Corn]

Smash Ace
Ridley would use bites, slashes, tail whips and energy beams. These already exist in Smash.

Ridley fits. His purple color would SHINE with the new color palette.

Its not his attacks, its his movements that I cant seem to grasp. Im thinking older Ridley in terms of looks though.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Hear that? It's fine if you're an evil ******* murderer as long as you look human!
That's why Ganondorf is acceptable even while he strangles people with dark energized hands and why Ridley is not!
Or, you know, Snake who regularly smokes, shoots people and breaks their necks, and kills and eats small animals. :laugh:

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Bowser was pretty cartoonish in his games, but was made more into a "B-movie" monster type (Snake's impression of him on a Codec) in Brawl. He crawled like a predator, spewed spittle as a taunt, roared like a beast, was hunched over, and lumbered for his walk.

He was actually made more dark and more animalistic for Brawl.

So I think Ridley can fit this new style if Sakurai wanted him too. Bright beam attacks, bright colors.

D

Deleted member

Lol, Snake fit in along characters like Zero Suit Samus and Captain Falcon.

....unless they don't fit in either...?

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
And since it's relevant:
I like how people are starting to bring up that he's to scary or something. I thought of that one forever ago when listing off possible arguments. Maybe they didn't notice that he was in Brawl, and not only fit in the art style (or whatever), but also retained his vicious nature. Hell, SAKURAI HIMSELF pretty much MADE UP that RAKE ACROSS THE WALL thing. I think Ridley's brutal nature is just fine, lol.
Not only that, but Nintendo isn't shy of some scary things, even in the most cutesy of games (looking at you Kirby).
Sakurai himself isn't shy of some "scary" content. He's the one who frigging STARTED the nightmarish entities in the world of Kirby.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
OMYGOSH I just caught a whale shark.

It's MINE, Blathers can't have it!!!

[Corn]

Smash Ace
And look how much it didn't matter.

I am not saying Ridley will not get in, I am not saying he isnt a good character, I am saying that in order for him to be in the game he will probably have to be cartoonified/remade look to fit this new games bright artstyle.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Anyone can fit in this game with the help of Wii Fit Trainer.

She's not just for balancing, you know. ;)

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I am not saying Ridley will not get in, I am not saying he isnt a good character, I am saying that in order for him to be in the game he will probably have to be cartoonified/remade look to fit this new games bright artstyle.
Yup.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
What, you mean like the bright purple he was in the Melee intro? Because that wouldn't at all look out of place in SSB4.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I mean, if you were saying that as an actual argument, you would essentially be arguing that the very process of putting characters into the game is itself an issue of putting characters into the game.

D

Deleted member

Then it's settled, Ridley will be in his Little Birdie stage, since he's too "scary" otherwise.

SO. EFFING. ADORABLE.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I dont understand people who are mentioning Snake, he was one of the most awkward characters to look at in brawl.
But they still were able to make him fit despite the fact that it was widely apparent to everyone that he really didn't initially fit in with the rest of the cast due to the nature of his games. As I pointed out earlier, changing Ridley to better fit the environment isn't really an issue because throughout his history they've already done that a number of times with the colorful and family friendly Nintendo Land being a prime (pun intended) example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom