• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Its not that, its just that Smash doesnt include animal/monster type characters unless they are humanoidish. The only exceptions to this are things from the Pokemon series, which still has Lucario and Mewtwo being humanoid. I simply couldnt see him getting in with the others in terms of Artstyle/look at all.
I fail to see why not being a animal/monster with humanoidish character is an issue here. What matters more is if the character would bring in people to the game, would be unique, can fit in, a character's importance and popularity as well. Ridley has all of this, which makes him a likely addition.
One thing worth noting about Villager is how much of his moveset reflects the ideas scrapped for Brawl Sakurai talked about in Famitsu (if you need a link check Tri's information thread). Villager proves that when it comes to Sakurai, no plan is ever truly thrown away. He is always willing, and likely, to pull from what he couldn't do. Even with the rumored Little Mac, who was a Assist Trophy that by nature was considered not good enough to be playable; and Mii, who was also rejected much like Villager as they were too casual; we see how his opinions can change with time. So while Sukapon may not have worked for one game, he may work for another. All in all I'm glad that Sakurai has reminded us once again that just when we think we know what he is going to do -- he turns the tables. Villager broke the mold, yet made absolute sense why he should be playable.
It's for this reason why I'm confident that Mewtwo is going to return and also have a really good feeling about Ridley, Roy and Dixie Kong getting in the next game at all. Unfortunately, I think Sukapon is still probably out, given that his issue wasn't due to not working out, but more to do with his obscurity.

[Corn]

Smash Ace
I fail to see why not being a animal/monster with humanoidish character is an issue here.
It just appears to be a general guideline for Non Pokemon characters.

I would never expect to see Vaati, Ganon in Beast Form, or Andross in the game because they dont fit. Same goes with Ridley. I may like the character, but I can see the flaws in why they will probably be not included.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
So...considering the Gematsu rumor said we were supposed to get 3 more newcomer reveals at E3, can we stop treating it as a confirmed fact?

D

Deleted member

It just appears to be a general guideline for Non Pokemon characters.

I would never expect to see Vaati, Ganon in Beast Form, or Andross in the game because they dont fit. Same goes with Ridley. I may like the character, but I can see the flaws in why they will probably be not included.
Adding Ridley in is going to be a much easier ordeal than adding in Mega Man, in which Sakurai has stated on many occasions that they are an incredibly difficult fit and have a ton of loopholes required in order to get them.
shinpichu said:
So...considering the Gematsu rumor said we were supposed to get 3 more newcomer reveals at E3, can we stop treating it as a confirmed fact?
This is the same rumor that guessed Wii Fit Trainer; a character that literally no one expected. Regardless of whenever or not the same character is at E3, it's likely that Sakurai or someone at Nintendo hear about the leak and changed the date in which they get confirmed.

I take the rumor as fact until proven otherwise and right now we haven't seen that.

[Corn]

Smash Ace
Fitting Ridley in is going to be a much easier ordeal than fitting in Mega Man, in which Sakurai has stated on many occasions that they are an incredibly difficult fit and have a ton of loopholes required in order to get them.

I dont understand what you mean here.

Mega Man is a colorful character with an average size with tons of movesets available. He fits the role of being a humanoid type character as well.
Ridley is a large dark dragon with a large size and decent movepool. Isnt a humaniod and not known for running around or jumping.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Just so people are aware, the likely Punch Out stage having Super Smash Bros emblems does not preclude it from being a Punch out stage. One thing I remembered is Flat Zone II does the exact same thing. When you pause the menu and look at the mock Game and Watch game it's called "Super Smash Bros." The fact that the arena is part of a made up circuit does not mean much of anything.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
It would be a sad game if the guy who punches gets in over the space dragon.
Well Mario was in the past games, and he punches things, so you must not have liked the previous games.

Complaining about Little Mac being "just a boxer" would be complaining that Marth is "just a swordsman" or that Snake is "just a soldier."

D

Deleted member

I dont understand what you mean here.

Mega Man is a colorful character with an average size with tons of movesets available. He fits the role of being a humanoid type character as well.
Ridley is a large dark dragon with a large size and decent movepool. Isnt a humaniod and not known for running around or jumping.
Let us never forget this quote when discussing third-party characters:
Adding characters from other series and from other worlds, really, outside the Nintendo universe, is an incredibly difficult process. In some ways it's more difficult from just building a game from the ground up because you're really trying to make everything match and in some ways that creates limitations. I hope that people can understand that's the reason we can't include more characters from outside the Nintendo universe. And, of course, I believe that when you increase the number of worlds, you're also increasing the number of people who could potentially enjoy that videogame and the series that you're putting in there. But there are also problems because having these non-traditional characters in there -- even with just Snake and Sonic -- has resulted in a number of people who do dissent in seeing these characters put into the Smash series. It's not a simple matter of adding as many worlds and characters from other games as possible -- you can't be careless in doing that sort of thing, you have to be careful. Internally and externally, there have been people who have raised objections to it.
Granted, it is from pre-Brawl, but Sakurai has been consistent about stressing the difficulties of third-parties. Mega Man worked, but it wasn't because he was an easy fit at all, but because they put in an incredible amount of work to get him to fit in. If Ridley fitting in is an issue, then I can't imagine just how hard it was for Sakurai to include Mega Man.

D

Deleted member

Ridley looks "R-rated"?

Bunch of *******, I tell ya....*laugh*

As if something like this wasn't too "scary" to include somehow?

Mommy, this monster gives me nightmares! :troll:

[Corn]

Smash Ace
Let us never forget this quote when discussing third-party characters:Granted, it is from pre-Brawl, but Sakurai has been consistent about stressing the difficulties of third-parties. Mega Man worked, but it wasn't because he was an easy fit at all, but because they put in an incredible amount of work to get him to fit in. If Ridley fitting in is an issue, then I can't imagine just how hard it was for Sakurai to include Mega Man.

I think we are confusing "Fitting in" with "Acquiring the actual character to be used"

Im not considering at all that Mega Man is third party in this. Im saying he is a bright and colorful character that fits well in the brighter world of SSB4 and has a creative movepool.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Well Mario was in the past games, and he punches things, so you must not have liked the previous games.

Complaining about Little Mac being "just a boxer" would be complaining that Marth is "just a swordsman" or that Snake is "just a soldier."
So if you had to choose Ridley or Little Mac, you would choose Little Mac?

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Im not considering at all that Mega Man is third party in this.
Wait, you mean you don't think he counts as a third party? Or you don't think that being a third party matters? Because you're wrong on both accounts sir.
So if you had to choose Ridley or Little Mac, you would choose Little Mac?
Who said I have to choose? I would like both of them to get in, and I would be ecstatic if wither of them did.

[Corn]

Smash Ace
Wait, you mean you don't think he counts as a third party? Or you don't think that being a third party matters? Because you're wrong on both accounts sir.

ARTSTYLE

HOLY CRAP PEOPLE

ALL I MEAN IS A DUDE WHO RUNS AROUND JUMPING AND SHOOTING FITS IN A GAME THAT YOU RUN AROUND JUMPING AND ATTACKING PEOPLE.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero

Who said I have to choose? I would like both of them to get in, and I would be ecstatic if wither of them did.
Well, all I am saying is that I would be sad that Ridley, a space dragon and villain to the Metroid series, did not get in, but if Little Mac does.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Another point I want to throw out there. The latest trailer for Super Smash Bros revealed eleven characters, twelve overall during the course of E3. That's two shy of Melee and three more than Brawl. The trailer fits in line with the other two reveals.

D

Deleted member

I think we are confusing "Fitting in" with "Acquiring the actual character to be used"

Im not considering at all that Mega Man is third party in this. Im saying he is a bright and colorful character that fits well in the brighter world of SSB4 and has a creative movepool.
Licensing was definitely a huge issue in including Mega Man given that he was a third-party, but no matter how we look at the situation, he also had the big issue of fitting in (which goes for third-parties in general). Even if Mega Man does work out great in the Smash universe (and I've been arguing before his confirmation as to why he would be an easier fit than Snake or Sonic) thanks to his action-platform roots, being third-party inherently makes him an extremely difficult fit: Look back at the quote here:
Adding characters from other series and from other worlds, really, outside the Nintendo universe, is an incredibly difficult process. In some ways it's more difficult from just building a game from the ground up because you're really trying to make everything match and in some ways that creates limitations. I hope that people can understand that's the reason we can't include more characters from outside the Nintendo universe. And, of course, I believe that when you increase the number of worlds, you're also increasing the number of people who could potentially enjoy that videogame and the series that you're putting in there. But there are also problems because having these non-traditional characters in there -- even with just Snake and Sonic -- has resulted in a number of people who do dissent in seeing these characters put into the Smash series. It's not a simple matter of adding as many worlds and characters from other games as possible -- you can't be careless in doing that sort of thing, you have to be careful. Internally and externally, there have been people who have raised objections to it.
The bolded clearly indicates the incredibly difficult process it takes for adding third-parties in regards to fitting.

[Corn]

Smash Ace
Licensing was definitely a huge issue in including Mega Man given that he was a third-party, but no matter how we look at the situation, he also had the big issue of fitting in (which goes for third-parties in general). Even if Mega Man does work out great in the Smash universe (and I've been arguing before his confirmation as to why he would be an easier fit than Snake or Sonic) thanks to his action-platform roots, being third-party inherently makes him an extremely difficult fit: Look back at the quote here:The bolded clearly indicates the incredibly difficult process it takes for adding third-parties.

Did you not read my previous post at all? Im not factoring in licensing the character at all, simply how they look with the other characters in the roster as well as how they played in their own games.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Im not factoring in licensing the character at all, simply how they look with the other characters in the roster as well as how they played in their own games.
Don't look too deep into that, character designs are pretty clashing to begin with so any arguments about that are pointless.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'd like to announce I GOT Those bananas I craved so much. However, they weren't on MY tropical island...figures

[Corn]

Smash Ace
Don't look too deep into that, character designs are pretty clashing to begin with so any arguments about that are pointless.

Mega Man: I see a family friendly guy who has shown he can jump, run, and attack with bright colors.
Ridley: I see a scary dark dragon guy who has basically only flown and attack.

Game Engine Art Style: Bright Colors, Family Friendly, and 9/10 of the cast is humanoid.

This is what I see.

Its like how the only reason Snake looked decent in Brawl was because the game was so dark in general. I couldnt imagine Snake in this new artstyle either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom