• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobadz

Smash Ace
Reporting from the Ridley thread.

Remember this statement from the developer direct video."I get character requests from all over the world." Now, who do you were the most requested Characters? I can guarantee four. MegaMan, who is confirmed to be in, Mewtwo, K Rool, and Ridley. My point is that Sakurai knows how popular these characters are and will try to make them playable .

[Corn]

Smash Ace

Remember this statement from the developer direct video."I get character requests from all over the world." Now, who do you were the most requested Characters? I can guarantee four. MegaMan, who is confirmed to be in, Mewtwo, K Rool, and Ridley. My point is that Sakurai knows how popular these characters are and will try to make them playable .

I wouldnt take anything that guy says for sure, with Wii Fit Trainer thrown in there lol.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
yeah but "that guy" is Sakurai aka the guy building this game

well it's technically a guy translating his japanese but that's largely irrelevant because there's no way he'd have a translator who can't understand japanese.

bobadz

Smash Ace
yeah but "that guy" is Sakurai aka the guy building this game

well it's technically a guy translating his japanese but that's largely irrelevant because there's no way he'd have a translator who can't understand japanese.
Indeed. Remember, he changed his opinion on an Animial Crossing rep, in 5 years.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion

Ridley was "most requested" for Brawl as well. Just saying.

Sakurai will give the fans some of what they want, but not all of it, nor should he.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I know the WFT came out of left field but it's not like the guy just adds characters randomly. Brawl gave us Wario, Diddy Kong, Metaknight, King Dedede, Olimar, Pit, Wolf, Toon Link, Ike, Lucario, and Sonic, all of whom were decently popular and frequently requested characters around the world.

bobadz

Smash Ace
I know the WFT came out of left field but it's not like the guy just adds characters randomly. Brawl gave us Wario, Diddy Kong, Metaknight, King Dedede, Olimar, Pit, Wolf, Toon Link, Ike, Lucario, and Sonic, all of whom were decently popular and frequently requested characters around the world.
Chrono brought up a good point, we are very close to running out of "All Stars".

D

Deleted member

Speaking of Sonic. What do you all think of his returning chances being? Considering the recent Nintendo/Sega 3 exclusive to Nintendo Console Sonic games deal they did?
50/50. Depends on if guests return, otherwise there isn't any reason why he'd be dropped. I'm hopeful that Sakurai will break the pattern of "guest only appear once" for him because of how insanely popular he was in Brawl.
Indeed. Remember, he changed his opinion on an Animial Crossing rep, in 5 years.
This. Habanero made a good point in that Sakurai made a back-peddle in regards the Villager not getting in. His back peddling for Ridley was even more obvious. With Ridley being among the Top 3 most wanted characters (not including Mega Man since he's in), I have a very good feeling that we'll be seeing Ridley this time around.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I think you get WFT when you go back and take the quote "adding only characters that are popular... doesn't really excite me." and multiply it by 1,000.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
50/50. Depends on if guests return, otherwise there isn't any reason why he'd be dropped. I'm hopeful that Sakurai will break the pattern of "guest only appear once" for him because of how insanely popular he was in Brawl.
How funny. 50/50 is what I had actually guessed. Being the huge Sonic fan I am I do hope he comes back, even if I couldn't quite call him my main ^^;

I won't throw a fit if Sakurai is like nah for him though.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
No he wasn't. Sonic was.
I am referring to the exact situation you outlined in your post, in which a group of characters are the most requested by fans. I am not referring to the #1 most requested. Ridley was one of those most requested for Brawl. His popularity did not grant him playable status.

Mass popularity is a great boon for any character's chances at inclusion, but it is not a guarantee that Sakurai will attempt to implement them.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I do have to wonder though if the fact that 3 games in and him still being a high fan demand will give Ridley a little more presence in decision making for Sakurai though.

That and he's one of the few Nintendo villains/all stars left.

It could be one of those ''I really want to add him but there are issues arising" things.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
I do have to wonder though if the fact that 3 games in and him still being a high fan demand will give Ridley a little more presence in decision making for Sakurai though.

That and he's one of the few Nintendo villains/all stars left.

It could be one of those ''I really want to add him but there are issues arising" things.
The main issue for Ridley is his appeal as a boss. If the lack of a SSE equivalent means that there is no boss mode in SSB4, Ridley's chances of inclusion increase greatly.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Funny thing is, if you look at his criteria for characters, nowhere in it does it say "popular." It only says "The character's inclusion must make people want to play the game." It's in this regard that I think Wii Fit Trainer has done a great job of given all the new internet memes and that in someways she has stolen the surprise character spotlight from Mega Man.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Chrono brought up a good point, we are very close to running out of "All Stars".
If by "All Stars" you mean characters that are immediately recognized by the general gaming population then yes but if you mean "All Stars" by significant and popular Nintendo characters recognized by Nintendo fans, there's still a lot of choices on the table. I also believe that's why they've decided to do the individual trailer approach when it comes to revealing newcomers this time around. It's not that these characters are unknown, it's just that they are obscure to the vast majority of people who only buy Mario and Pokemon games.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Ridley was only the most requested for Brawl after all the other characters that were more requested were already revealed. Really, it's more like he was the most requested after Brawl was released. It is very understandable why he was overlooked when there were so many other characters to be included. This time, that's not so much the case.

D

Deleted member

Funny thing is, if you look at his criteria for characters, nowhere in it does it say "popular." It only says "The character's inclusion must make people want to play the game," to which I think Wii Fit Trainer has done a great job of given all the new internet memes and that in someways she has stolen the surprise character spotlight from Mega Man.
But not nearly as much memes as the Villager has. I mean look at all the memes posted just on this thread by his inclusion; it more than blatantly highlights that Sakurai is susceptible to changing his mind on characters, giving hope for characters like Ridley and Starfy to get in.

Either way though, all three newcomers are significant additions; Villager because it shows that Sakurai can change his mind, Mega Man because it gives hope to a franchise that has been in a really bad shape for the past few years (and was the result of fan demand) and Wii Fit Trainer because it shows that no one can truly be Sakurai. I really look forward to seeing how veterans and newcomers turn out.

Also, everyone should take a look at this Mega Man article. Really great stuff and goes into depth an analysis of Mega Man in Smash.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Funny thing is, if you look at his criteria for characters, nowhere in it does it say "popular." It only says "The character's inclusion must make people want to play the game." It's in this regard that I think Wii Fit Trainer has done a great job of given all the new internet memes and that in someways she has stolen the surprise character spotlight from Mega Man.
I understand this but the point that I was trying to make is that Sakurai and the fans are on the same page for a vast majority of the new additions he decides on. Even back before Brawl, some people suggested that he basically just did whatever he wanted. While this may be true, the results were almost overwhelmingly favorable to the fans and most people eventually came around to the characters that they didn't like simply because they fit so well in the game overall.

Hickory

Smash Cadet
I am not saying Ridley will not get in, I am not saying he isnt a good character, I am saying that in order for him to be in the game he will probably have to be cartoonified/remade look to fit this new games bright artstyle.

oh shush. You are arguing that he wouldn't be good as a playable, otherwise you would have been done with this conversation a while ago. It is your opinion that Snake looked out of place - I thought he looked fine, and fit in with the group well. Bottom line? Sakurai wants someone in the roster, he puts them in the roster. Thankfully, his imagination isn't limited by select fans' preconceptions of who does and does not fit in the Smash Bros. universe.

Chauzu

Smash Ace
I can't really see Sonic being left out. His inclusion would be a win-win for all parties concerned imo.

One could argue that Sega threw away their pride by letting him into Brawl but done's done, that's not going to come back by taking him out of Smash 4.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Just as a thought, I wonder who's more WTF, Roy (a character who had never been in a game before) or Wii Fit Trainer.

But not nearly as much memes as the Villager has. I mean look at all the memes posted just on this thread by his inclusion; it more than blatantly highlights that Sakurai is susceptible to changing his mind on characters
I wasn't using memes as an example for competition (though it would be fun to have a Meme Off), more in the sense that she's the prime example of the first criteria not being all about popularity.

Villager's definitely significant/stands out, however, I wouldn't say he's made as huge of an impact (despite the memes) as his fellow newcomers due to only a small minority of the hardcore Smash fans knowing his history and that honestly he's made sense as a newcomer from the very beginning (if we ignore what we knew).

giving hope for characters like Ridley and Starfy to get in.
Since when has Sakurai openly dismissed these two?

I understand this but the point that I was trying to make is that Sakurai and the fans are on the same page for a vast majority of the new additions he decides on. Even back before Brawl, some people suggested that he basically just did whatever he wanted. While this may be true, the results were almost overwhelmingly favorable to the fans and most people eventually came around to the characters that they didn't like simply because they fit so well in the game overall.
Don't worry I understand this all too well (Sakurai definitely knows fanbases better than we give him credit for), my bad if I went off on a tangent or that I made it sound like popularity doesn't matter.

D

Deleted member

Just as a thought, I wonder who's more WTF, Roy (a character who had never been in a game before) or Wii Fit Trainer.
Hard to say, but either way, we didn't see them coming at all. Same with Snake as well.
I wasn't using memes as an example for competition (though it would be fun to have a Meme Off), more in the sense that she's the prime example of the first criteria not being all about popularity.
Fair enough. Wii Fit Trainer looks to be a great addition anyway. I'm thinking that she is the Snake of this game (in that she was an utter shock) while the Mii is the Mr. Game & Watch/R.O.B. of this game (in regards to being an important hardware character).

I think we'll get at least one more surprise character. While it look as we have the majority of them (Villager, Wii Fit Trainer and Mii I guess), it'd be hard to believe that all our remaining choices are made up of just popular/expected characters.
Since when has Sakurai openly dismissed these two?
Never said Sakurai did openly dismiss Ridley, just that it helps Ridley's chances knowing that the Villager is in as it shows that Sakurai does look back at previous ideas even if he turned them down before. As for Starfy, he did kind of dismiss him shortly after Brawl by saying that characters after Pikmin didn't really lend to having characters, but considering the Villager (and the Mii if the leak is taken to be serious) getting in, it's not really the case anymore and as such, Starfy can be considered a contender again. I don't expect him, but I wouldn't be too surprised to see him get in either.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Gimme an Endless Ocean stage Sakurai, PLEASE. PLEEEEEAAAASEEEEE I BEG OF YOU

Dat HD oceany goodness

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
So....

Beat a new game and that means I get a new avatar.

He's a pretty good looking fellow, isn't he? Get's a lot of ladies! They love playing with him in his tower!

So....Anyone wanna guess the game I just beat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom