• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

It just opens most's eyes to the fact that character inclusion is a pretty level playing field, based on EXACTLY what Sakurai's criteria is. No more, no less.
After Pac-Man, Little Mac and Mii gets confirmed, I'll probably be looking at Smash and characters from a much more different viewpoint than I have before. I'll also watch the direct summary to see if anything change, but I do recall Sakurai emphasizing uniqueness a lot.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I agree with SSBF here - already the selections are interesting and i'm suddenly very open to a lot more now IMO.

Also I doubt Yoshi would go lol. He's sooooooo safe....

Now Ness and Lucas, on the other hand.... I can't quite rest easy until I see those two pop up somewhere. =/

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
SmashChu's analysis was extremely biased anyway (parts were just a glorified explanation of his own roster while largely brushing over other contenders), and talking to him about third-parties felt like a conversation taking place pre-Snake. He was also trying to interpret Sakurai better than Sakurai himself, and that'll cause you to read too much into things.

What it comes down to is Sakurai is Sakurai, he's unpredictable, and try as we might to figure him out, considering we know only selective bits of what he's told us or has somehow slipped out or leaked, an "analysis" without all the information isn't a very conclusive analysis at all. We can call it analyzing, but we're analyzing partial information, it doesn't really amount to more than an educated guess. That's why we'll never get it completely right, or might not even get close.

Oh, and hi Luco! ^_^

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Gonna go out there on a limb and say, I'm placing my bets on Chrom, and no Roy. Marth. Ike. Chrom. If not Chrom, Lucina. But I'm specifically betting on a Awakening character. Mewtwo and Dixie are two others I'm confident in now. (Well, I guess Mewtwo I was never NOT confident in)

Also, poll results are going to weird looking without Megaman, and Little Mac.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Anyone else notice six slots missing on the second scroll at the bottom of the Smash website? Like, it's not just Pika, Pit, and Bowser. After them is six clear silhouettes, outlining where characters would be. Call me crazy, but I don't recall those prior to the WFT being revealed.

Metal Mania1321

Smash Journeyman
I'm willing to bet Ness and Lucas are safe, Luco :) But, my three favorites are Ike, Lucario, and Toon Link, so....I'm pretty nervous...

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
At this point i think it's safe to assume that Sonic and Pacman will be the last two 3rd party characters included in the game. Also, i heard you guys talking about Fire Emblem and i was thinking about what new Fire Emblem rep they plan to add in this game. Since one of the stages (in the 3DS version) is from Awakening then it's safe to assume Chrom or even Lucina will be included in the game. However, does this mean Ike will get the boot? I hope not because i would love to see him appear in this game with his Radiant Dawn look

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Anyone else notice six slots missing on the second scroll at the bottom of the Smash website? Like, it's not just Pika, Pit, and Bowser. After them is six clear silhouettes, outlining where characters would be. Call me crazy, but I don't recall those prior to the WFT being revealed.
Ya mean these?

Peter_Parker

Smash Cadet
NNID
thomfolk
3DS FC
3368-2346-7128
Some Year of Luigi. Guy can't even get confirmed in the Smash trailer...

One thought that's been burning in my mind for a little while now:

The soundtrack. How in the hell can SSB3DS and SSBU top Brawl's music selection? It may have been a little...lackluster in certain departments, but Brawl had some sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet tunes. Nobody can deny that. Motoi Sakuraba, Koji Kondo, Nobuo Uematsu...just to name a few.

WHAT ARE THEY GOING TO DO

Smooth Criminal
Dude. I know. This will probably be my biggest concern. It was a huge production! And they just pulled it off so remarkably. And they were all kind of the main titles... So unless they get really experimental, I'm just not sure what they will do in this department. Moreover, I'll actually be quite bummed if they cut some songs. No reason not to include them, yes?

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I'm willing to bet Ness and Lucas are safe, Luco :) But, my three favorites are Ike, Lucario, and Toon Link, so....I'm pretty nervous...
Well i'm sure Ness will be okay but Lucas... Lucas i'm worried about and he's my main out of the two. :o

I'm sure at least one of 'em will stay, with any luck dude!

As it happens, Sakurai saying he wanted to focus less on adding characters leads me to wonder whether maybe he'll focus on not cutting as many characters.

I could be wrong and I have been before though. :o

I hope they'll include most of Brawl's soundtrack if not all - it's a rather fantastic one. That said, they may cut down on it to save space.

Was it just me or did anyone else hear something from it's OST in the original trailer when it went to Bowser getting destroyed by a spike from the mario series?

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Ya mean these?

There were 7 of those slots prior to the WFT being shown which is why she took one of those slots. It is likely a few more new characters will be shown, then some of our returning veterans. I'm certain that more of those slots will appear eventually.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
tbh I don't see a difference.

N3ON!!! :D
:grin:;)

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
One thought that's been burning in my mind for a little while now:

The soundtrack. How in the hell can SSB3DS and SSBU top Brawl's music selection? It may have been a little...lackluster in certain departments, but Brawl had some sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet tunes. Nobody can deny that. Motoi Sakuraba, Koji Kondo, Nobuo Uematsu...just to name a few.

WHAT ARE THEY GOING TO DO

Smooth Criminal

Bring in Xenoblade, more Yoko Shimomura, ACE+, and that should give Brawl's music a run for its money.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Yes, these

And whatever, all that matters is that they're there now.

Metal Mania1321

Smash Journeyman
Well i'm sure Ness will be okay but Lucas... Lucas i'm worried about and he's my main out of the two. :o

I'm sure at least one of 'em will stay, with any luck dude!

As it happens, Sakurai saying he wanted to focus less on adding characters leads me to wonder whether maybe he'll focus on not cutting as many characters.

I could be wrong and I have been before though. :o

I hope they'll include most of Brawl's soundtrack if not all - it's a rather fantastic one. That said, they may cut down on it to save space.

Was it just me or did anyone else hear something from it's OST in the original trailer when it went to Bowser getting destroyed by a spike from the mario series?
I really hope so. for both of us. But I'm extremely confident Lucas will stay. I don't think a starter character has ever been cut, now that I think about it. I'm almost sure Lucas is safe :)

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Guys dont worry about the songs (dem rockman beats) are wicked awesome. as for FE again I hope it goes down like this, probably wont but.
1. Chrom: New FEA character
2. Marth: Reps the first FE in the East
3. Lyn: Reps the first FE in the West

Also if little mac gets confirmed, i'd hope that takamaru does as well to keep that east/west theme going, but thats just me.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Hehe, alright, well with that i'm off for the day peeps. Gonna check some other stuff and i'll probably be back tomorrow or something! :D

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
...Don't mind me, I am just silently stalking until the topic of Bowser Jr comes up... :p

"You leave my mama alone you bad man!" xD

Honestly, I would love to see Bowser Jr make an appearance in the next Smash Bros! I mean just look at him! He's adorable! However, i have no idea what his chances are of being in the game. I always hear so much hate towards the idea of him being in the new Smash, but i personally would not mind seeing him in the new smash especially since i wanted him in Brawl. Also, didn't Sakurai once say he was interested in adding Bowser Jr in Brawl at some point during Brawl's development in some sort of interview? I could be wrong since im not 100% sure if he did mention him.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Wii Fit Trainer's movement reminds me a lot of ZSS's movement.
Sorry, saw this and had to respond.

But yes, now that you mention it it does make me think of ZSS in so many ways. Those look like really strong aerials, or at least some of them do. :o

And Bowser Jr. is totally a contender IMO. :o

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I still don't think that the criteria have been broken, honestly "Sakurai crapping over speculation" right now seems to be a mix of the shock of actually being surprised and all of us falling victim to over-speculating. In Pac-Man's case in particular (should the rumor be true) we all were speculating hard not smart.

WTF pretty much fits as the WTF character we were all already predicting (but since it's WTF, none of us could guess it). And yes she does meet the first criteria I would argue.
Mega Man needs no introduction, as does Little Mac or the Miis.
The Villager is the most mixed thing as it's both an example of going back to an old idea but also one that was previously dismissed, so like Nemesis in UMvC3 who knows? He meets the criteria at least.
Pac-Man fits as the character we all fought too hard against, and as it's been said before, character inclusions should be natural and so should arguing for or against them lest falling victim to over-speculating. A lot of the point we were making towards him were subjective. Also feels like a character we'll need to see in action first before we can all have a true opinion of.

This is just my take on things. Honestly I still have the up-most confidence in Sakurai (& Namco Bandai) towards making these two new sister games, though that's not to say I completely agree with all of his choices now or in the past (Melee was too hard, tripping sucks, WFT is still iffy as a character choice). After finally getting some truly new info after waiting nearly two years I've gotten my first taste and now I want more.

Zorua4Ever

Smash Rookie
I won't let you take Mama Peach away! Omg that's my favorite line from sms! As long as he has his paintbrush I won't hurt anyone Heh heh... HEH!

D

Deleted member

At this rate, I feel as Snake is gone. The style Smash is taking REALLY doesn't favor Snake in the slightest. Compare Brawl's relatively realistic graphics to the considerably more cartoony style Smash 4 has and it's not hard to see why Sakurai changed his mind on an Animal Crossing rep. It's just so hard seeing Snake fitting in a more cartoony style, especially when he already suffers from disjointed hitbox with graphics that are more realistic.

I don't thing Snake is safe, but not because of the art-style.

If the art-style is gonna keep Snake away then say goodbye to Marth and Ike while you're at it too. Plus Link looks more "realistic" in Smash than in Skyward Sword. And the disjointed hitbox can be fixed. In fact, Sonic is likely to get a redone moveset, so why not Snake?

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I still feel quite pessimistic and uncertain now since now I can see that ANYTHING can happen at this rate.

If anything can happen, then I'm inclined to always expect the worst. I've never been a man of good luck or big faith.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I might redeem this game though completely if Assists became summons and not stupid Pokeball knockoffs. At least that'll make 'em feel more alive and I can actually team up with them instead of just waiting for characters I wished to see in Smash to show up, only to fail (most of the time...)

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
I don't thing Snake is safe, but not because of the art-style.

If the art-style is gonna keep Snake away then say goodbye to Marth and Ike while you're at it too. Plus Link looks more "realistic" in Smash than in Skyward Sword. And the disjointed hitbox can be fixed. In fact, Sonic is likely to get a redone moveset, so why not Snake?

Well that's because this Link uses the same design and weapons from Twilight Princess. This one isn't based off Skyward Swords design. Also, they could fine a way to make Marth and Ike work with this artstyle especially considering how the artstyle from the CGi cutscenes of Radiant Dawn looks somewhat (not completely) similar to this artstyle. Honestly, i dont think Snake will be making a return in this game and the art-style doesn't really effect it at all. They would find a way to make it work, but i dont think they would want to have him return especialyl considering it was Kojima who wanted Snake in the game in the first place. In reality it's up to Nintendo on whether they want him to return and at this point it seems unlikely especially since MGS5 isn't coming on the Wii U and Snake pretty much advertised MGS4 with his appearance in Brawl. Personally, i see Sonic returning but not Snake

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
@Horsetail: So was there anything that you liked in the Direct? Characters/Stages/Gameplay/Graphics?

I honestly find it helps to keep focus on what has been confirmed and what it could imply while keeping the things I hope to see separate under wishful thinking. Nothing has been truly de-confirmed just yet after all, and there's a good chance we'll still get even more info as E3 continues onwards. :)

D

Deleted member

Well that's because this Link uses the same design and weapons from Twilight Princess. This one isn't based off Skyward Swords design. Also, they could fine a way to make Marth and Ike work with this artstyle especially considering how the artstyle from the CGi cutscenes of Radiant Dawn looks somewhat (not completely) similar to this artstyle. Honestly, i dont think Snake will be making a return in this game and the art-style doesn't really effect it at all. They would find a way to make it work, but i dont think they would want to have him return especialyl considering it was Kojima who wanted Snake in the game in the first place. In reality it's up to Nintendo on whether they want him to return and at this point it seems unlikely especially since MGS5 isn't coming on the Wii U and Snake pretty much advertised MGS4 with his appearance in Brawl. Personally, i see Sonic returning but not Snake
That's more or less what I'm saying.

If Snake doesn't come back, it's not gonna be cause of the art style. That's a lousy excuse.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Well so far I think the game looks bit like Brawl 2.0 (something I don't think I want to get back into, it'll turn into a waiting/taking-turns-on-catching-people-off-guard defensive-based game)...

I still hate the inclusion of Wii Fit Trainer, feel bit mixed on Villager (as funny as he can be) and I really approve inclusion of Mega Man.

But I'm just afraid that we'll get characters like Jimmy.T, Waluigi, Toon Sheik, Pac-Man and so much more characters that will make me just more butthurt and I'll watch Lip Stick getting confirmed as an item again. Assist Trophies returning with their all glory of dumb A.I while I just watch more of my wanted characters with low chances getting to be even more forgotten by the fandom because hey they're items.

Like, ALL THE WORST I can think of.
I'm sorry but I'm out of any positivity. I feel like anything I'm going to in hardcore fan's side will get Sakurai'd so badly that I'll just drown on my tears.

I guess I wished to see this as something more of a dignified fan fest for hardcore fans, but I guess I shouldn't stick around them because I seem to have way too eccentric wishes and vision on what I want SSB to be like.

Yet I can't help but feel like I'm already defeated and I'm just going to get a game full of things I won't feel wholly happy on being included (as opposed Brawl's roster which was mostly perfect and so on.)

bmullins123

Smash Journeyman
I personally didn't like that they only showed 3 new characters. I did like the overall graphics, but I hope it does what Project M did with the fighting mechanics though with a different and vibrant feel.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Anyway, on whole wishful thinking stuff...

- Toad, Dixie and Palutena playable

- Assist Trophies become more than dumb Pokeball knockoffs (summonables most preferably).

These are now all that I can ask for. Nothing else.

DarkFoxTeam

Smash Journeyman
I personally didn't like that they only showed 3 new characters. I did like the overall graphics, but I hope it does what Project M did with the fighting mechanics though with a different and vibrant feel.

I agree with you on that because i was expecting to see at least 5 new characters shown. I am hoping that we'll get at least one more new character confirmed before the end of the week, but that's a bit unlikely. So far the game looks like the combination of Melee's fighting mechanics mixed in with Brawl's to make a balance of both. However, we still need to see more gameplay before we can determine how the fighting mechanics truly are like

D

Deleted member

Did the thread just turn emo again?

You're not the only one with wants, you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom