• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Well so far I think the game looks bit like Brawl 2.0 (something I don't think I want to get back into, it'll turn into a waiting/taking-turns-on-catching-people-off-guard defensive-based game)...

I still hate the inclusion of Wii Fit Trainer, feel bit mixed on Villager (as funny as he can be) and I really approve inclusion of Mega Man.

But I'm just afraid that we'll get characters like Jimmy.T, Waluigi, Toon Sheik, Pac-Man and so much more characters that will make me just more butthurt and I'll watch Lip Stick getting confirmed as an item again. Assist Trophies returning with their all glory of dumb A.I while I just watch more of my wanted characters with low chances getting to be even more forgotten by the fandom because hey they're items.

Like, ALL THE WORST I can think of.
I'm sorry but I'm out of any positivity. I feel like anything I'm going to in hardcore fan's side will get Sakurai'd so badly that I'll just drown on my tears.

I guess I wished to see this as something more of a dignified fan fest for hardcore fans, but I guess I shouldn't stick around them because I seem to have way too eccentric wishes and vision on what I want SSB to be like.

Yet I can't help but feel like I'm already defeated and I'm just going to get a game full of things I won't feel wholly happy on being included (as opposed Brawl's roster which was mostly perfect and so on.)

Iunno,

I wasn't as hyped as I wanted to be for the game when I first saw that trailer, granted that is mostly because a) I had the MegaMan and Villager reveals spoiled for me at work, and b) the First trailer I watched was the one that revealed WFT, you know the developer direct with Sakurai, because the guys at the Skype group wanted my reaction. So those aren't very favorable ways to build hype. That being said, now that storm has passed I feel more possitive.

WFT is literally Sakurai's way of throwing in a character no one could predict. The man did it again. In fact, he outright said that in the Direct. Plus I feel it's a way of repping the Wii Series I suppose.

The gameplay itself looks a lot faster. In fact, a lot of the attack animations for characters seems sped up, an correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I saw some cancels in the Dev. Direct. Anyway, the new animations like the wind trails added to attacks seem to emphasize this new speed. Likewise, the overal engine looks a lot faster to Brawl's. And if you noticed, the Direct showcased a lot of abilities in 1v1 scenarios. So I don't think Sakurai has forgotten about the competitive scene. If anything, the new stage selections seem to hint that the WiiU version is intended to be more competitive.

As for Mii, Little Mac, and PacMan. All I gotta say is I hope the Mii is a lie. Or the 3DS equivalent to WFT. Meaning WFT is WiiU exclusive and Mii 3DS exclusive.

As for what characters we could expect. I think Palutena still has a decent shot. Little Mac does too. I think we'll be seeing a number of cuts, including Jiggs I'd say. Mewtwo has a good shot too. Sonic is practically guaranteed to return. I don't think we'll be seeing anyone from FE aside from Ike and Marth. Roy MIGHT make it in, but I'm doubtful. Ridley is very much a shot in the air at this point, but we'll see. And Snake will have the hardest time making it back in.

Still, characters aside, I have high hopes for the gameplay. Perhaps releasing two versions was the best way to satisfy both sides of the fanbase.

Wegenbarth

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3609-1252-6127
Lol nearly 60 pages of posts in 2 days. How am I supposed to catch up xD.

Anyway, that Smash Bros reveil was kinda refreshing, though I expected more charas in the the initial trailer. But maybe we get more informations today.

psyniac_123

Smash Ace
Yoshi's absence is the most shocking. Considering we got Pit and Bowser... Mostly Bowser.

Regardless, he's pretty safe, but it is kinda odd.
Well, looking at the characters we did see I'd say it was for balance right now. Showing Bowser over Yoshi shows a villain and another bigger character like DK rather than another "cute" character with Kirby and Pikachu. Not sure on why Pit exactly though, but I'm pleased about it.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I'm surprised at myself tbh. I always thought that I was iffy with Snake in Brawl but with people thinking he's gonna be cut it's really put me on the defensive and support for snake's continued stay in smash bros.

I guess that's a good thing? :p

In any case, did anyone else take note of the shields? They don't seem to go down as fast and is it just me or are they generally bigger...?

And come to think of it the speed did look slightly faster and I know Sakurai did want to emphasise this so I wonder how it will actually turn out. :o

@Manlyspirit: I know Sakurai could do it but I literally just don't see jiggs as a possibility for going anymore. She's like smash's inside joke but even then I think she's earnt her own spot with the others. But hey two weeks ago I probably would have overloaded someone with contrary logic had they tried to tell me WFT would be in so... I don't know hehe.

I will say though that IMO if anyone's gonna be safe it'll be the original 12. I don't think they would go and I think Sakurai would feel that way now - you've worked hard on 3 installments to a game and now you're gonna cut one of the original 12? Isn't that the game that MADE the series? I think that even if Sakurai wanted to pull something on us, he wouldn't go that far.

Also I reckon Pit was shown because he's recent, relevant and a character no-one would really expect Sakurai to cut at this stage but then again I guess i'm guilty of thinking in retrospect...

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Well, looking at the characters we did see I'd say it was for balance right now. Showing Bowser over Yoshi shows a villain and another bigger character like DK rather than another "cute" character with Kirby and Pikachu. Not sure on why Pit exactly though, but I'm pleased about it.
That's not hard to guess. Sakurai made the latest Kid Icarus game, so it was expected to have Pit as a confirmed veteran.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Man, I feel so pessimistic.

Still feeling offended by Sakurai's reasoning on adding Miss Fit though. As if Starfy being most pathetic Assist Trophy wasn't enough...

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558

Still feeling offended by Sakurai's reasoning on adding Miss Fit though. As if Starfy being most pathetic Assist Trophy wasn't enough...
Yo horsetail, try thinking of it this way:

We've got a few characters, some stages and some gameplay. So far the characters are mixed but personally I think he intended that. The stages look incredible, agreed? And as it happens, the gameplay actually looks like it could be REALLY well done this time around, which if what i'm seeing is true is something I don't think any of us vet speculators could have thought would have actually happened in our wildest dreams.

I reckon keep your ears open and see whether it gets better or worse, then decide yeah? :)

@Frosty: Horsetail's been speculating for a really long time - if you don't generally have an optimistic outlook on these things and you weren't impressed with the original release trailer, you can see why he's worried. I'm sure he'll be fine, we've all just gotta keep hanging out together for information and see what it brings us, you know? Until then... well we all have different viewpoints on that first trailer - we'll just have to wait it out and see what it brings us I guess?

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I think you're making too much of a big deal out of this...

I guess you're right. Might help looking for something else for a while until I see new info.

Super Mario 3D World makes me giddy as hell though (so much that Toad being blue isn't really a big deal)

psyniac_123

Smash Ace

Just a friendly reminder that you're basing this off of a single character inclusion; a character you don't necessarily have to play as.

In other words, ssh.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
The fact that the Villager got in when Sakurai once stated he wouldn't fit is a very positive thing and that's why he's being well received.

Just because of a WTF character, we abandon all hopes and dreams? ONE CHARACTER, seriously?

I have yet to understand the logic of WFT's necessarily implying that other characters will get in.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Luco: Yeah. I'm mostly afraid it gets worse for me ("hello more ****ting on fans who are hardcore Nintendo-lovers" and more SAKURAIIIII), but it's why I think it's better for me to wait until something new is shown. I guess I'm now too pressed down by the most recent news at the moment.

Also when I was browsing through Tumblr, Miss Fit has become sorta popular and is paired with Villager a lot.

I'd be laughing my ass off if people started to pair me with Miss Fit because how negative I'm at her (okay her movements are pretty sleek but geez, why she gets so much quality...)

Psyniac and Frost: Well at the moment when nothing indicates that things might either stay this way (more what-the-hell-scraping-the-barrel-expect-the-unexpected stuff) or not, of course I am.

But maybe it's a lot to do with my low self-esteem and self-confidence as well. I tend to always think and expect things to get worse and I'll always receive the short stick of things.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
After seeing the video of the battle between Mario and Mega Man, I notice that the game is faster paced than Brawl, but slower paced than Melee. What do you think about this?

Also, tripping is nowhere to be seen... Has Sakurai removed it?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
After seeing the video of the battle between Mario and Mega Man, I notice that the game is faster paced than Brawl, but slower paced than Melee. What do you think about this?
It's better imo.

Hopefully, yes.

Bowser and Pit seems to have the most drastic changes in their moveset. But I like the changes.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558

OH MY GOSH I DIDN'T EVEN THINK OF THAT.

I reckon it has been. Both from what we've seen (+the other factors that make me think this is leaning towards a slightly more competitive stance in some regards) and the fact that we know Namco probably had a huge role to play in what we've seen so far.

I'd say tripping is gone for good, with any luck. <3

As for the gameplay, i'm looking forward to it hopefully pleasing a lot of people. With any luck it'll work out really well. I'm slightly nervous but that's to be expected. Think this'll attract players from both communities?

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Well so far the game looks rather more fluid and maybe somewhat faster than Brawl was. My only wish though is that the game won't end up so defensive like it used to be in Brawl.

Also dear God I want to choke that announcer to death. SHUT. UP.

*Suddenly shudders for thoughts of people pairing Horsetail with Miss Fit for trolls*

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
OH MY GOSH I DIDN'T EVEN THINK OF THAT.

I reckon it has been. Both from what we've seen (+the other factors that make me think this is leaning towards a slightly more competitive stance in some regards) and the fact that we know Namco probably had a huge role to play in what we've seen so far.

I'd say tripping is gone for good, with any luck. <3

As for the gameplay, i'm looking forward to it hopefully pleasing a lot of people. With any luck it'll work out really well. I'm slightly nervous but that's to be expected. Think this'll attract players from both communities?
Maybe Sakurai wasn't joking around when he said that the franchise has found its target audience...

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I can just watch Super Mario 3D World-trailer over and over and over again.

If Toad's playable in this Smash, I'd have the best Holiday and beyond definitely.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
So we have two unanswered questions for now.

1. What is the plot of Super Mario 3D World?

2. Who is the 4th playable character in Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze?

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Hey I just remembered, anyone notice DK seems to have had some interesting changes? And not just cosmetically (I think his fur is marginally darker), but his upB seems slightly different. Doesn't kick up dust so much as it just has light arcs? There seems to be other stuff too.

And there's a picture of Samus in the crouch position but i'm not sure if they were doing the taunt trick to turn her into ZSS (seems unlikely given there's no light around her) or they just had her in crouch, which, btw, seems slightly different. It might be the new suit design?

Maybe Sakurai wasn't joking around when he said that the franchise has found its target audience...
Oh well that's an interesting thought...

I can just watch Super Mario 3D World-trailer over and over and over again.

If Toad's playable in this Smash, I'd have the best Holiday and beyond definitely.
Here's hoping hey? I wouldn't mind if he added toad personally, seeing as he's already added Villager. Was it villager or Tom Nook he originally said was unlikely? Thought it was T.N. but oh well. :p

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I think AC-characters in general.

Anyway, I just noticed... this?

It seems like the Toad got his own mode or something? It's still sorta dumb because I want this Toad to be in Blue Toad's place (yeah I know they did it for sake of color identification, but REALLY)

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Wii Fit Trainer really isn't that bad to me lol

Y'all just need to chiiiiiiiiiiilllllllll, the game just got officially revealed so we still got a LOT more info and characters to revealed

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Still waiting for that Palutena. D:
Til then, Pit with new weapons, and that running Bowser with drop kicks are my choices, Coincidentally these were the same first choices of mine in Brawl.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
So uh, how will the updating go this time?

Has it been confirmed to start in some way?

I've read something about Dojo-updates going to Wii U's Miiverse this time, which'd be big shame because I'd have to have a Wii U to even get in touch with the updates.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
That moment when I get my hands on the game and kick ass online with Wii Fit Trainer... :smirk:

Gotta keep those newbies in good shape! :troll:

psyniac_123

Smash Ace
So uh, how will the updating go this time?

Has it been confirmed to start in some way?

I've read something about Dojo-updates going to Wii U's Miiverse this time, which'd be big shame because I'd have to have a Wii U to even get in touch with the updates.
You can see the Miiverse here but it seems Smash isn't one of the community choices yet.

It'll only be a "picture from [Sakurai's] desk". I imagine this is the same thing we'll get on the website where the top image is. Although they said every day and we've not had our first change yet.

Hopefully we'll get full updates somewhere down the road. I think they want to have some idea of release window first, perhaps.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
After the reveal of Wii Fir Trainer, I honestly have really shaky expectations regarding to newcomers now. So many doubts right now I don't even know...

I'm less doubtful towards the gameplay though, it seems like an general improvement so far.

D

Deleted member

I'm surprised at myself tbh. I always thought that I was iffy with Snake in Brawl but with people thinking he's gonna be cut it's really put me on the defensive and support for snake's continued stay in smash bros.

I guess that's a good thing? :p

In any case, did anyone else take note of the shields? They don't seem to go down as fast and is it just me or are they generally bigger...?

And come to think of it the speed did look slightly faster and I know Sakurai did want to emphasise this so I wonder how it will actually turn out. :o

@Manlyspirit: I know Sakurai could do it but I literally just don't see jiggs as a possibility for going anymore. She's like smash's inside joke but even then I think she's earnt her own spot with the others. But hey two weeks ago I probably would have overloaded someone with contrary logic had they tried to tell me WFT would be in so... I don't know hehe.

I will say though that IMO if anyone's gonna be safe it'll be the original 12. I don't think they would go and I think Sakurai would feel that way now - you've worked hard on 3 installments to a game and now you're gonna cut one of the original 12? Isn't that the game that MADE the series? I think that even if Sakurai wanted to pull something on us, he wouldn't go that far.

Also I reckon Pit was shown because he's recent, relevant and a character no-one would really expect Sakurai to cut at this stage but then again I guess i'm guilty of thinking in retrospect...

Well I main Snake bro, it'd suck to see him go. Especially since we didn't and won't be getting Bayonetta to fill in for him.

Also, Jiggs might be Smash's inside joke, but really, HOW MANY JOKE CHARACTERS DO WE NEED?

We have:
Wario, G&W, Jiggs, Pichu (who's gone), and WFT, with ROB and Villager as very unorthodox fighters too.

If anyone form the original 12 will go, I say it'll be Jiggs. She barely made the cut for Brawl (I think).

I feel we'll see some notable changes to the roster, with cuts, modifications, and moveset revamps. This is why I'm more excite for the vets than the newcomers.

Vets that I think will defo come back would be:
Yoshi
Marth
Peach
Ike
Mewtwo
C.Falcon
Ness
MK
Dedede
Luigi

Everyone else, though still very likely, I wouldn't be quick to count them in.

Anyway, the Roster is the thing I care about the least, I'm intrigued by the gameplay. It really seems that Sakurai took a listen to what I've been hoping he'd work on the most. Thank you based Namco. Here's to hoping we see more moves that have have Dash/Jump cancels, as well as the classic Gatling Cancel finally getting added in (I could have sworn I saw MegaMan do a dash cancel in that gameplay footage vs. Mario).

And the Speed is much faster than Brawl's, the characters are a bit more floaty than in Melee, but nowhere near Brawl levels, thus making the game seem like an inbetween. And the attack animations have defo been sped up.

Also, isn't the Air Dodge like Brawl? I haven't had a good look at many gameplay videos, but it's what I heard.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
After yesterdsys rollercoaster ride. I would not be surprised if cooking mama got in.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
As for what characters we could expect. I think Palutena still has a decent shot. Little Mac does too. I think we'll be seeing a number of cuts, including Jiggs I'd say. Mewtwo has a good shot too. Sonic is practically guaranteed to return. I don't think we'll be seeing anyone from FE aside from Ike and Marth. Roy MIGHT make it in, but I'm doubtful. Ridley is very much a shot in the air at this point, but we'll see. And Snake will have the hardest time making it back in.

Still, characters aside, I have high hopes for the gameplay. Perhaps releasing two versions was the best way to satisfy both sides of the fanbase.

Idk but it seems to me you arent a FE fan http://i.imgur.com/A7dYuka.jpg https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/993508_461178773973263_785241569_n.jpg

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Aren't we still pretty much scraping the bottom of the barrel now, aside from lasting additions from existing franchises though (Like Palutena, Ridley, Toad, etc).
We may have different definitions of "scraping the bottom of the barrel", because I'd call Toad scraping the bottom of the barrel. :p

In any case, one glance at a roster prediction thread will show you that is absolutely untrue. There's tons of great characters from franchises that do not yet have representation.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
We may have different definitions of "scraping the bottom of the barrel", because I'd call Toad scraping the bottom of the barrel. :p

In any case, one glance at a roster prediction thread will show you that is absolutely untrue. There's tons of great characters from franchises that do not yet have representation.

Yeah. But I kinda feel like they'll be passed on because they don't really meet what the hell is Sakurai's criteria. To be honest, I don't know.

Why get excited when I have no damn idea who gets in anymore? A lot this feels like some ****ed-up lottery.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'll just say it out loud: I right now dislike all newcomers.

Sure, they all look interessting, and unique. But I personally do not care about them in any way or form. Guess I'm most hyped about Megaman from all of them. I mean, it's cool that Animal Crossing and the Wii series (finally??) get a newcomer, but I wasn't rooting for any. Then again, I'd take the Wii Fit Trainer over the Mii any day of the week.

Given the new playstyles though, and the fact they're so keen on adding characters from series represented in Brawl without a character, I'm much more confident in Isaac now. I mean, given the Villager and Megaman's Smash attacks, I could easily see Isaac in a similar fashion. Sword attaks for A attacks, Psynergy for Specials and Smashes in short.

Also, I've heard there was a Fire Emblem Awakening stage confirmed? This does imply to me Chrom and / or Lucina is playable. And seeing how Toon Link got his ass fired and got demoted to a stage background cameo, I'm kind of worried about Ike now.

Am hyped for new potential newcomers that I feel far more confident in now, as Dixie Kong, Toad and Isaac. If I had these, and Mewtwo, I doubt I'd be dissapointed in the final roster at all. Then again, I do feel a little cheated on with the Villager and Wii Fit Trainer. I mean, sure, they're surprise WTF additions (or should I say Wii Trainer Fit addtions? DON'T YOU DARE LAUGH, THIS IS NOT FUNNY :glare: ) but they would've surprised the mass with retro newcomers as well.

Seeing as we only have 3 newcomers revealed as of now, I think it's safe to say we'll not see that many newcomers as in Melee and Brawl this time around. Heck, we'll be lucky to have the majority of Brawl's cast back.

Am definitely expecting cuts to happen to.

Anyway, am loving the designs for DK, Link and Samus. And hope they all get significant buffs. Am dissapoint as **** that Mario still has his F.L.U.D.D. but yeah, hopefully it'll get a buff, and hopefully this'll mean Luigi gets dat Poltergeist.

ALSO: I love how fast the game looks right now. Rolls, more knockback on moves, everything looks smoother than in Brawl so far. But I think it's too early to judge right now...

Anyway, am still hyped, but have no real big expectations anymore. Donkey Kong Country Returns Tropical Freeze has blown up my hype far more than Smash thus far, but am hoping this game at least will be topping Brawl so I won't have to buy a Wii U for DKCR2 alone.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Yeah. But I kinda feel like they'll be passed on because they don't really meet what the hell is Sakurai's criteria. To be honest, I don't know.

Why get excited when I have no damn idea who gets in anymore? A lot this feels like some ****ed-up lottery.
People need to stop overreacting. WFT isn't any more likely to kill popular choices and ensure a bunch of random terrible newcomers than ROB was.

Remember, in a game with ROB we got the following:
-Ike
-DDD
-Pokemon **** Trainer
-Wario
-Diddy
-Snake
-Sonic
-Olimar

And a few other cool characters, too.

D

Deleted member

Oh, and on Wii Fit Trainer, the more I watch the trailer, the funnier I find this whole thing. I swear, that Sakurai has us by the balls. Gahahahahaha.

But as a Joke character, I don't mind her, just modify the roster a bit and keep things fresh so we don't have 50% of the roster composed of unorthodox joke characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom