• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
No, I used it to grab your attention. You make it sound like Mega Man is the only series that doesn't do that, so I went straight for the hear to make a statement.

Mega Man has shown innovation, from Mega Man 2 and 3's evolution gameplay, to Mega Man X 1-3's high action, high spaced paced, Zero's incredible challenge, Battle Network's unique take on RPG's, Legends helping push the third person targeting system and 3D games, etc. While there is tons of rehashing, and often times it is dreadful, the quality of the games have been great, which is ultimately what we play games for. I mean, it's not like platformers can do tons of things that have never been done before.

Basically, Mega Man has shown greater innovation than Nintendo franchises like Donkey Kong, Yoshi, Kirby, Star Fox, Pokémon, F-Zero, Fire Emblem, etc.
Enough that X is considered the greatest sequel to a game series in gaming history, from Mega Man -> X

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
No, you getting mad because I point out the truth and go for a "Well you like Krystal so THERE".

But it is true, the original Megaman series shows little to no innovation, and while it's a good series, it's stale as all hell.
You could pick the order you complete stages and gain abilities to which bosses had actual weaknesses susceptible to a certain weapon.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
The best games Microsoft showed were just quick clips (Halo 5) or weren't exclusive titles. Project Spark looks nice, though.
It's already out bro.

Avengers Vs. X-Men
The post-series was better (Consequences), and was definitely worth the money. Freaking they characterized Cyclopes terribly, and I dropped it after like the 2nd edition.
Megaman's problem is it had too much innovation where it was not needed, and too little in the areas it did.
This so much. Legends 3 was cancelled at the wrong time, when Capcom DESPERATELY need innovation where MvC3 and Resident Evil 6 failed.

Mega Man also didn't have enough constant innovation. After Mega Man 3 or 4 in the original series, the series stopped adding new things. Mega Man 7 had quite a number of cool new things, but it failed in a lot of areas to where it didn't matter. Mega Man 9 and 10 added only a few new features compared to 7, but because the games were better, it didn't matter as much. It's the same reason why Mario Galaxy 2 did so well.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Well yeah I'd definitely take a topless mermaid Witcher over all of the shooters.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Somebody hasn't played battle network, or ZX, or legends

that's like saying super mario world is the same game as super mario galaxy is the same game as super paper mario
No it's not, because I was talking original Megaman. And it would be akin to saying NSMB shows no innovation, because that series does show little innovaion as well. Which is why I don't purchase it.

At least Star Fox evolved. Adventures was something different, and in Assault they implemented ground missions / weapons. That's more than the former series can say.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Again with the killing. >->
You said you wanna kill me. Would you really do it=???
The entire game has been great thus far. The music from the start screen and onward had me listening contently (I think Nobuo did this? If so, that makes sense). And the moment I talked to the policemen blocking off the road at the very start and laughed I had a feeling this would be a funny game with a lot of personality.
Yeah, I think he did. And yeah, there's a lot of personality in the game. I just love stop doing what I'm doing and talk to people.
And yeah, Threed was pretty great. Creepy music, creepy enemies, bringing Jeff all the way there, fighting the tent, then ending up in Saturn Valley (where there is a part where you have to walk away from the game for three minutes :laugh: ), etc. And people generally say Mother 3 is even more awesome, so that's exciting.
Yeah, that whole Threed chapter was great. As for MOTHER 3, it's a very different game. The battle system and whatnot is totally different.
Gettin' real tired of your propaganda Moonknights!!! There'd be no point in getting power. I'd be like a dog chasing a car, I don't know what I'd do with it if I caught it.
Which is why you in power is scary. You'd probably try to DESTROY SMASH BROTHERS!!!

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
So I just went to a little "reminiscing" tour. Played first moments about Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, DKCR, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Return To Dreamland, Skyward Sword and some more games I wished to see getting representation of.

Time sure flies by. And I'm just beyond bored. WHY CAN'T THE DIRECT COME ANY FASTER

D

Deleted member

The sad truth about Mega Man is that we won't be seeing a new game for a while. The hiatus for new games in regards to Mega Man could very well last around a decade and the wait for the franchise to return will be painful. I'm sure the franchise will return to make quality games (as Capcom is discussing a new game; not a confirmation but it does show that they at least are thinking about the franchise), but it will not be for a few years.

When it does return, release for games needs to be much less common, focus for sub-series should be limited to Classic, X, a new sub-series that can be continued regardless of story (and as such is more permanent) and maybe finally un-cancelling Mega Man Legends 3 just to conclude the game properly. The games also need to do a better job at innovating and not get so many games that it spiral out of control.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
No it's not, because I was talking original Megaman. And it would be akin to saying NSMB shows no innovation, because that series does show little innovaion as well. Which is why I don't purchase it.
Mario Galaxy 2 didn't evolve, and Pokémon has barely changed since it's begun. The difference is Pokémon's gameplay has been made in a way that it's timeless, which is the same feature Super Mario Bros., Donkey Kong Country, Zelda, Metroid (2D and 3D, but not Other M), Kirby, and Mega Man all have.
At least Star Fox evolved. Adventures was something different, and in Assault they implemented ground missions / weapons. That's more than the former series can say.
Adventure was a failed attempt at copying the platforming gameplay of Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie, and Donkey Kong 64 with Star Fox. That was the series "changing," but it was nothing new in any way, shape, or form.

As for Assault, it was like a bad shooter. It was new to Star Fox, but it was very outdated (like early 90's outdated), and was terribly designed. All the weapons were also pretty generic.

And no, it's not more than Mega Man can say. Mega Man Legends had tons of new and unique stuff that, if not for Ocarina of Time, wouldn't really have had a Generation 5 of Gaming game with a similar system, and even then, it had a totally unique system. Mega Man Battle Network was one of the first games of it's kind (a stage-based quick action game with lots of weapons and attacks), and IMO would have been a great system for Pokémon to use in spin-offs.

Of course, you'd know that if you knew anything about Mega Man.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I doubt the next Mega Man game released will be part of the original series anyways. Now, I've said Mega Man enough for the next four months.

Johnknight, I've played MM, MMX, ZX, and Battle Network. I was talking about Original Megaman, so, stop desperately trying to defend the series when it really is stale. At least Star Fox tried at innovation. Whether or not it was well recieved is a different story.

I personally liked SF:Ad, and SF:As. I personally am not a big fan of every MM series I've played besides Battle Network.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Would anyone be pissed if the Smash trailer was just the title screen showcasing the new name?

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Capcom can barely get Dead Rising right so I don't trust they have a clue on what to do with Megaman besides Megaman 11.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Would anyone be pissed if the Smash trailer was just the title screen showcasing the new name?
Can we please stop with this sadomasochistic posting? Sakurai wouldn't be announcing a trailer on Twitter if it was only going to be for the title.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Enough that X is considered the greatest sequel to a game series in gaming history, from Mega Man -> X
Mega Man X is truly one of the defining games for the Super Nintendo. The speed it showed that console and the series was capable (not just sideways, but up and down) and the scale of the game was something remarkable to see (and something I feel Super Metroid learned from and used). Even today it looks fast, but man, with those eyes in the early 90's seeing it for the first time, it truly was the first game of its' kind: a perfect blend of action, speed, and lots of stuff going on.
Well yeah I'd definitely taking a topless mermaidWitcher over all of the shooters.
Witcher always had nude characters.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Can we please stop with this sadomasochistic posting? Sakurai wouldn't be announcing a trailer on Twitter if it was only going to be for the title.

I don't think you're using that word right, 'mate. Unless I'm not the only one getting a thrill from less content.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Mega Man X is truly one of the defining games for the Super Nintendo. The speed it showed that console and the series was capable (not just sideways, but up and down) and the scale of the game was something remarkable to see (and something I feel Super Metroid learned from and used). Even today it looks fast, but man, with those eyes in the early 90's seeing it for the first time, it truly was the first game of its' kind: a perfect blend of action, speed, and lots of stuff going on.

I've never played it before, is it any good?

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
It is the only X game that I own. And I remember playing that a ton. particularly because I was so bad at it

I've never played a Witcher game before so I would not know this. The only thing I remember about Witcher is that I think the last one we got was very, very highly praised.

D

Deleted member

Capcom can barely get Dead Rising right so I don't trust they have a clue on what to do with Megaman besides Megaman 11.
And even then I'm not really going to hold my breath for the quality of that game if they were to release it within the next year or so (I'm probably one of the few that was actually relieved that Mega Man wasn't their surprised game). Mega Man really needs rest from all the over-saturation it's gotten over the years; otherwise the games are simply not going to sell well enough and the quality of the games are not going to hold up.

Give the franchise 3-10 years of rest and it could make a big come back just like Metroid did. I'd rather have that than the same game over and over again.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I doubt the next Mega Man game released will be part of the original series anyways.
I think it probably will, or be some sort of series that uses the original Mega Man. I think either a large-scale 2D version of the original Mega Man with a lot more going on
Johnknight, I've played MM, MMX, ZX, and Battle Network. I was talking about Original Megaman, so, stop desperately trying to defend the series when it really is stale. At least Star Fox tried at innovation. Whether or not it was well recieved is a different story.
You didn't specify. And to be fair, when franchises change, they often branch off into sub-franchises. See: Mario with all the sports titles, Mario Kart, Mario Golf, etc. Heck, Sonic branched off into sub-franchises back in the day, and it was always referred to as something else, and sometimes, featured different main characters.

As for the classic series, yeah, it was stale from Mega Man 4-8 or so, but Mega Man 1-3 were all very fresh and unique games. Heck, 9 and 10 were also pretty new. But more importantly, they were good games, which is more important than anything else IMO. I'd rather buy something that adds nothing that's incredibly enjoyable than play something that is totally innovative but is crap, which is why I play Civilization IV over say the first MMO. :laugh:

But still, you are right in the implications that there has been over-saturation of the franchise, which is very true. Hopefully Capcom does the right thing with the franchise, and try a new spin on the old franchise, and tries to revitalize it, similar to what SEGA recently has done with Sonic, or Nintendo with DKC Returns.

Star Fox tried new things, and they weren't innovative, and they weren't very good, which is why the series has been more dead than Mega Man (sans the remake of the remake). Trying new things does not equal innovation, especially when it had been done better before. Innovation rarely happens in a large scale in video games, especially from big developers with established franchises. Mario Galaxy was the last time a big name franchise had any sort of huge innovation IMO, and that was about 5 years ago.

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Agreed, this would explain a lot IMO. This also reminds me of a suggestion I saw on Youtube the other day about giving WayForward a crack at the franchise.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
It is the only X game that I own. And I remember playing that a ton. particularly because I was so bad at it
Yeah, that game was pretty unrelenting, but once you got the pace of it, realized all the cool neat little secrets, it was pretty awesome.
I've never played a Witcher game before so I would not know this. The only thing I remember about Witcher is that I think the last one we got was very, very highly praised.
Yeah, they've all been fairly well-praised, but it's been a well off franchise. It's also had many expansion packs for the games.
I've never played it before, is it any good?
The Witcher 1 and 2 are pretty good, but somewhat linear and restrictive. The Witcher 3 will be (thankfully a multiplatform game and) a open-world game with very little restrictions. It will be interesting to see how The Witcher 3 incorporates some... say... Skyrim influence. Hopefully they combine the best of both worlds properly. It's kinda like Dungeons & Dragons actually, or so I'm told. I've never actually played D&D, so I wouldn't know.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
I would love to see Wayforward tackle Megaman. So far they've been having a good track record.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
A playable dragon in a fighting game just has so many things going for it, that even people who have no idea who Ridley is will want to play has him. Ridley just makes sense.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Changing topic a little bit but who here has played "The Last Story" and what were your impressions? I have played through quite a bit of it so far and I am at (SPOILERS ALERT)

* the part where the island is moving and just completed the tower trials (where you fight General Ashgard) and Kraken levels (Sea Cave)*

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
There is going to be at least three happy character fanbases in less than 20 hours. I feel pretty confident that Takamaru's will be among them.

This week is going to be crazy.

Keep in mind also that when Brawl was unveiled, a new teaser site for Brawl was unveiled. It had official art and screenshots of each of the newcomers in the trailer. I bet a new teaser site is being made as we speak.

---

大空のぶっとび
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I would love to see Wayforward tackle Megaman. So far they've been having a good track record.
I really hope that Capcom keeps in touch with them beyond Ducktales besides more awesome Disney games. Honestly Capcom needs them more than they need Capcom.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Correction: Capcom cannot get Dead Rising right, cannot get Resident Evil right, cannot get Lost Planet right, had some troubles getting MvC3 right, and above all, can't get their DLC right. The only times Capcom has shown much change has been for the worse in the last 2 or so years, and it's pretty sad.

Oh, and Capcom can't even make a freaking Viewtiful Joe or Okami game! :mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom