• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Considering I main him in all games where he's playable, my old man wanted him as a kid, and I defended him against the haters, it's pretty obvious where I this name from.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Considering I main him in all games where he's playable, my old man wanted him as a kid, and I defended him against the haters, it's pretty obvious where I this name from.
EDIT: Croph, your avatar is staring to creep me the **** out. It's like she's staring into my soul. O_O

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
You're a smart guy.
Probably because I grew up hanging out with a lotta gals.

Wisdom Teeth-wise... I really wish I got the surgery as soon as it was suggested. I waited a few years until I got a tooth infection and my teeth actually started getting pushed out of order. Alas, my perfectly straight teeth are now less so. Also, it would've been nice if my parents paid for the surgery instead of me. :p

D

Deleted member

Since we're talking more or less about ourselves, I ask this question:

Why did you choose that username when registering on the boards?

It was 2008, and had graduated from High School. I saw all opportunities close in front of my eyes as I had lived in the US illegaly for 12 years and the scholarship I worked so hard to get was denied because I couldn't prove I was a resident of Florida.

A lot of things actually happened after high school actually, girl trouble, got my Spanish citizenship, new job, problems with my dad, friends moving away, more girl trouble. I also spent more time going to martial arts and I took the opportunity of being free from school and studies to find myself. It was then when I started doing Parkour, and also started weight training, so I started having a more possitive outlook on life. I had also recently watched Gurren Lagann.

So, anyway after working in a restaurant for some years, I saved up my money and moved to California for a couple months to take care of my grandmother with the plan to move to Spain shortly after. During my time in California, I felt completely free, and spent a lot of my free time training, reading, and surfing the web.

It was then that I began to write a bucket list and set a lot of my life goals. I also set out to make myself a better person. I realized that a lot of the problems I had in the past were because I wasn't good enough. Like in a way, I also began to grow up and see all the **** in the world, and realized that in order to change all of that, I had to start with myself (one of my mottos to this day is Gandhi's quote "be the change you want to see in the world"). Combined with the inspiration I had from watching TTGL and following the examples of some of my role models, I began to have a lot of admiration for what it meant to be a man. I realized that I was going through a transitional phase in my life, because for the first time ever, I was completely independent; and thus, responsible for making myself into the person I wanted to be. I was growing and changing from a simple-minded teenager into a full-fledged man. I was beginning to have more self-confidence and that bravado inspired me to go further than I had dreamed I could. I mean, after living a life of fear because I was illegal, and feeling inferior to others as I had less opportunities because I had overstayed my Visa, suddenly feeling in control of my own life was very refreshing.

So, it was that, the feeling I had back then, I wanted to capture it, because I knew it was temporary, and I really identified with the concept of manhood. It really resonated with me, so I made it my online name for just about everything. I take a lot of pride in that, in what it means to be a man, and I constantly push myself, I always strive to be a better person, and to make others happy, hoping to inspire others to do the same and find themselves.

I can confidently say I FEEL like a man now, 3-4 years later. I've made a lot of life-changing decisions, am living on the other side of the planet, doing and seeing things that many have never even dreamed of, and the freedom to persue my ambitions makes me happy. It's honestly the reason why I don't wanna have children, because it would mean giving up that freedom, and I feel there are better ways to spread your ideals than by having a child. I feel much more comfortable being a role model to others than by procreating hoping my kid turns out like me.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Also, why I choose my username: First of all, I was 14 years old, a huge fan of Smash Bros. and of coarse Donkey Kong Country, I already used Diddy Kong a few times as my allias in other places, and I was kinda upset about Diddy not making it in Melee at the time. Back in the time, people here thought my username was awesome. Especially when I started learning some DK tricks in Melee. Later, my username took more attention towards it cause of the pre-Brawl speculation, and Diddy being often brought up, and my heavy support of Diddy showing up in Brawl of coarse. I have a huge attachement to this name actually. :laugh: It's all thanks to DKC I began gaming, Diddy Kong Racing was my fist N64 game, DKL my first Gameboy game (and game in general) and DKC2 was and will remain my favorite game ever. Ever since Diddy's reveal, my username is very.. bland. Yet, I like it cause it has some historical vallue attached to it you know. :laugh: Plus, it's always fun being the forum monkey around. :diddy:
You...

All the Kongs were taken (Except kiddy...No one wants to be Kiddy) so I had to be Moon Monkey...

D

Deleted member

Also, I'm pretty sure it's totally not true that girls always like hearing nice things about them... not everyone actually enjoys having their physical features evaluated by a bunch of strangers. :p
(just ask your average girl whether or not they like it when dudes on the street holler at them.)

I said say nice things about them, not just complement their appearance. Though looks also fall in that category. But you can also complement their personality and tbh, that will go MILES further than complimenting any physical feature.

Still, genuinely telling a girl what you think is her MOST attractive feature will generally always be well recieved, I mean as long as you tact and actually MEAN it. Of course, you have to actually KNOW the girl for this to work. I don't think ANYONE likes random people coming up to them and paying them lip service. It's happened to me a couple times (hormonal teenage girls, nothing to brag about) and it's just like... "uhm... ok?"

Speaking of wisdom teeth...

Mine are actually coming out like that.

My teeth ****ing hate me.

I'm actually getting them removed soon.

Based Spain and their Health Care System.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
It was 2008, and had graduated from High School. I saw all opportunities close in front of my eyes as I had lived in the US illegaly for 12 years and the scholarship I worked so hard to get was denied because I couldn't prove I was a resident of Florida.

A lot of things actually happened after high school actually, girl trouble, got my Spanish citizenship, new job, problems with my dad, friends moving away, more girl trouble. I also spent more time going to martial arts and I took the opportunity of being free from school and studies to find myself. It was then when I started doing Parkour, and also started weight training, so I started having a more possitive outlook on life. I had also recently watched Gurren Lagann.

So, anyway after working in a restaurant for some years, I saved up my money and moved to California for a couple months to take care of my grandmother with the plan to move to Spain shortly after. During my time in California, I felt completely free, and spent a lot of my free time training, reading, and surfing the web.

It was then that I began to write a bucket list and set a lot of my life goals. I also set out to make myself a better person. I realized that a lot of the problems I had in the past were because I wasn't good enough. Like in a way, I also began to grow up and see all the **** in the world, and realized that in order to change all of that, I had to start with myself (one of my mottos to this day is Gandhi's quote "be the change you want to see in the world"). Combined with the inspiration I had from watching TTGL and following the examples of some of my role models, I began to have a lot of admiration for what it meant to be a man. I realized that I was going through a transitional phase in my life, because for the first time ever, I was completely independent; and thus, responsible for making myself into the person I wanted to be. I was growing and changing from a simple-minded teenager into a full-fledged man. I was beginning to have more self-confidence and that bravado inspired me to go further than I had dreamed I could. I mean, after living a life of fear because I was illegal, and feeling inferior to others as I had less opportunities because I had overstayed my Visa, suddenly feeling in control of my own life was very refreshing.

So, it was that, the feeling I had back then, I wanted to capture it, because I knew it was temporary, and I really identified with the concept of manhood. It really resonated with me, so I made it my online name for just about everything. I take a lot of pride in that, in what it means to be a man, and I constantly push myself, I always strive to be a better person, and to make others happy, hoping to inspire others to do the same and find themselves.

I can confidently say I FEEL like a man now, 3-4 years later. I've made a lot of life-changing decisions, am living on the other side of the planet, doing and seeing things that many have never even dreamed of, and the freedom to persue my ambitions makes me happy. It's honestly the reason why I don't wanna have children, because it would mean giving up that freedom, and I feel there are better ways to spread your ideals than by having a child. I feel much more comfortable being a role model to others than by procreating hoping my kid turns out like me.
I was gonna say, your name always reminded me of Gurren Lagann. Ridiculously cool show, and I don't even like anime that much. I kept wanting to quote it when making my Dig Dug thread.

My comment about compliments wasn't super directed at you specifically, I think there's just a general confusion on this thread (read: the world) about what it's like to be a girl being complimented by strangers. It's all part of why girl fans are harder to find on a board like this, where dudes are considered the "default" kind of person and then there are girls. It's... problematic.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
EDIT: Croph, your avatar is staring to creep me the **** out. It's like she's staring into my soul. O_O

It's a boy. :rotfl:

Er, um, yeah...please don't judge me on this.

Oh, but speaking of avatars...I'm totally loving yours, qdMbp.

SCOTT PILGRIM FOR SM4SH!

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
Diddy's origin story was about as legit as origins can get; childish enthusiasm is always as honest as it gets.

That's a great story, Manly. I have several relatives who have gone through such ordeals. +100 respect

I kind of expected Croph's, lol.
Since we're talking more or less about ourselves, I ask this question:

Why did you choose that username when registering on the boards?
One of the things I started doing when I first attempted to become a better player (back in '06) was to condition myself into doing certain things automatically; so I picked up this name to remind myself that there's always a good option for anything that I can just throw out. Ironically as I improved as a player I noticed that mixing up things is best but I liked how automatic sounded so I kept it when making this account, which is my second one. Since this is my second account on this forum I added the tilde at the beginning to signify that something else preceded automatic.

EDIT: Frost, you should post your story. You brought it up so you owe us.

D

Deleted member

Well of course, but a person who is clearly pretty will have a sense of perceiving their own level of attractiveness to predicate his or her self-esteem upon. And, especially with girls, it is likely they have received either outright praise in that regard frequently throughout their life or an assumed amount of respect or capability from others, which also is used to predicate a sense of self-esteem.

And yeah it doesn't turn out that they end up thinking that way, especially with our culture surrounding perceiving women, but I, perhaps presumptuously, thought that she was not that deluded kind and not a hypersensitive victim to society.

Yes and no, people aren't entirely judged on looks these days, but on connections. The amount of praise and respect one will get depends on their social status and their friendships.

In fact a pretty girl on a lower social circle is bait for a lot of the spiteful girls on the higher circles. Of course this all changes when you grow up, but a little of it is still left and can be seen in work places such as offices, at least here in Spain it can, though that might have to do more with Spanish people being slow to mature than anything else.

Anyway, self esteem has less to do with your inherent perception of things, and more to do with what you have been pushed to believe by the world around you. For example, familty issues play a huge role in how people develop.

To visualize what I mean about perception, I ask you the question: How do you know that the color 'red' is actually red?

If I asked you yo describe to me what red looks like without examples, how would you do it?

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I had no problem with my wisdom teeth. Like I said, I didn't even notice the upper ones, though they a little off of their place and are useless.

The lower ones got on their place nicely, but were painful as they tore the gum. Guess I have a big mouth that managed to fit the wisdom teeth. Lucky me.
------
-Username explanation-
@Manly: Wow, that's really a lot you went through and that's inspiring too. That username really has a lot of meaning behind it.

------
Anyways, my username is basically "frost" and "wraith" combined. It is mostly inspired on the names of liches in the Warcraft series, which are themed on ice and death.

In fact, I like dark themed stuff overall, including dark colors, undead creatures and so on... I like supernatural and mythological creatures overall, of which ghosts are part of.

The ice part is also inspired on the fact that I like the feeling of a cold wind blowing... it somehow is very relaxing for me to feel a gentle cold breeze blowing during winter.

There isn't much I can say about my username that actually relates to the story my life, actually.

D

Deleted member

One of the things I started doing when I first attempted to become a better player (back in '06) was to condition myself into doing certain things automatically; so I picked up this name to remind myself that there's always a good option for anything that I can just throw out. Ironically as I improved as a player I noticed that mixing up things is best but I liked how automatic sounded so I kept it when making this account, which is my second one. Since this is my second account on this forum I added the tilde at the beginning to signify that something else preceded automatic.

That's actually quite clever. I like it, your username always had a nice ring to it.

Btw, did you read the mechanics I posted?

Oh, and I think I spotted you in that video you posted a while back, do you have long black hair and wear glasses by any chance?

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Wow, some of you have interesting stories as to how your name came up. Manlyspirit posted six paragraphs about his LIFE. Mine is just about my interest in holding heels.

Kidding, it is the meaning of my real life name, its origin biblical (though ironically I'm not religious). I never really cared to know the meaning of my name until I stumbled upon it. "Holder of the heel", Jacob holding onto the heel of his older brother, Esau. I have an older brother, and he is much better at life than I am, and like in the biblical story, he has to take care of me, and even today it seems like I'm holding onto his heel in life. Also Esau was more of a productive individual, and Jacob stayed inside and was simple. I don't know the story really, but the similarities probably stop there.

Although if I am to be honest, when I made this the main thing on my mind as really that it just sounded neat. o-o

I'm deleting this account and making a new one with a more meaningful name

Iwas13whenIplayedmyfirstonlinegameandOasiswasmyfavoritebandsoIuseditasmyname...
That is So deep.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
username... ummm, my email that is attached to my account here is augustoflores at live dot com and the lazy son of a bish that I am said, "ehhh, no one's gonna care." It wasn't until I finally got acquainted with youtube enough to get an account there that I wanted an identity that sounded cool. So yeah, I can't change this username lest I lose all my "message count:" and my "member since:" and I don't want to start over.

do i win worst story?

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I saw Oasis. It was an alright concert, the pre-gaming was the best part.

My favorite character in Nintendo was Bowser. Bowserfest was taken, so in wild determination to post I switched fest with lick.

*Actually the concert was O.A.R. Got the O part right. That is what happens when you keep winning at beer pong.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
That... is the best mod ever. Awesome. I wish I could link you to the Scott Pilgrim avatar creator, but it looks like they took it down. :(
Whoa. There's a Scott Pilgrim avatar creator? Way cool...but they took it down? That's too bad, I'd really like to see it. :/

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Wow, everybody has deep meaning while mine is just me liking Scatman and 25 being funnier than 24

Because of that reference your username is awesome.

Edit: Scott Pilgrim is so amazing, in lesbians with him... I have the graphic novels and I've seen the movie I don't know how many times butIshouldwatchitmore. Remember watching it with a friend at a Birthday party and seeing how many lines we knew. :laugh:

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Whoa. There's a Scott Pilgrim avatar creator? Way cool...but they took it down? That's too bad, I'd really like to see it. :/
Yeah, it was on the website that promoted the movie when it came out. Totally unfortunate, it was awesome. I then took the image into Photoshop and added flames and a background because, as we've established, photoshop follows me everywhere.

Platsy

Smash Mouth
NNID
Cyani-Oxide
A long time ago when I was a young little whippersnapper (around 4), I was a HUGE Crash Bandicoot fan.

I remember back when I kept losing to Nitrous Oxide in Crash Team Racing. For some reason, I called myself Cyanide Oxide because I felt that calling myself something cooler would give me more confidence to win. I ended up winning right after I came up with the name, and it stuck with me.

It's cheesy I know, but it's an awesome confidence booster.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I just watched Ben Drowned and nearly had a heart attack. It's not that surprising why the darkest Legend of Zelda game in history was infamous enough to spawn a creepypasta. *shudders*

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Holy!

Shorts! Your in Oregon?!? And in Portland no less! We could like totally hang out and stuff!

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
You're a Portlandite. I don't like you.

*Sobs deeply*
Well I don't live in Portland.

Truth be told I live on the other side of the state. I just go to Portland for business reasons sometimes.

Also don't Sob. You're Stronger than that.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I don't like N3ON either because she lives in Vancouver which is kind of like Vancouver which is outside of Portland.

Though I do like pretending it's a poorly translated Japanese word and calling it Bankooba.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Haha, what don't you like about Portland, Oasis? Too many hipsters?

I'm movin' there in a couple months and I'm pretty sure it'll be awesome.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Wow... All these deep stories about usernames.

I just really like Poppy Bros. and I wanted my username to stand out, so I added "The First". It stuck with me after a while. That and I am the elder brother in my family.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Metroid can't crawl, Metroid can't swim, NOW WTF CAN METROID DO NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom