• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
^^^ Roy has not always topped that list/poll. He usually does, but he hasn't always.
Just remember that war doesn't change, with every new era history will repeat itself till the end of time.
At least until we get those 5 characters back, in which I think 3 or 4 of them will inevitably be playable in Smash WiiU and/or Smash 3DS.

Then, we'll inevitably hop onboard the next most popular historical characters (which now includes 3rd party characters not named Sonic), whatever new "mascot"-esk Pokémon of a recently released Pokémon generation, a few smaller franchise stars (like Little Mac, Isaac, Shulk, etc), and any cut characters (Mewtwo, Roy).
"Sixth Generation Pokemon" is misplaced on that list, it has less votes than several of the reps beneath it.
It's because it is lacking a front runner not named "Mew-2-2."

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The only way Dark Pit is going to be shown off first if it was to, hypothetically, display the EX feature. Aside from that, it's very doubtful he'd be among the first characters shown due to the idea being a hype killer. However, him being displayed before the release date along with other unlockable characters would make sense.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
The only way Dark Pit is going to be shown off first if it was to, hypothetically, display the EX feature. Aside from that, it's very doubtful he'd be among the first characters shown due to the idea being a hype killer. However, him being displayed before the release date along with other unlockable characters would make sense.
That's how I see a possible Dark Pit reveal.

I don't think Dark Pit as a separate character warrants a spot, unless he has a different weapon or stance moveset involving more weapons.

I'd be content with Dark Pit as an EX mode for Pit that would replace the Mirror Shield with the Dark Pit Staff alongside a few other changes. Same for Dr. Mario and his Megavitamins replacing the Fireballs.

I'm smelling a Microsoft's Virtual Boy here so much at this rate. I mean, Dreamcast was pretty good console despite being Sega's last.

If this'll be end of Microsoft's console industry, then it'll be damn sore one.
When even the developers don't like a console, you know things are bad.

Thinking with the money instead of the brains is always a bad idea.

What Xbox One might be for Microsoft:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
That is my belief too. Dark Pit being a completely unique character or clone shown in the unveil trailer would be extremely odd, and create further belief among Smash Bros. fans that Sakurai has an extreme bias towards series he makes. Dark Pit being a "EX" character that is shown before the game's release would make sense though. The confirmation of "EX" characters would also basically mean that Dr. Mario is a lock to return.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Speaking of EX modes...

What would you think if SSB4 had a Wario Land inspired moveset for Classic Wario, while keeping his Brawl moveset for WarioWare Wario?

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I have proof that the Xbox One is cursed from AnandTech...
AnandTech said:
- 8-core AMD Jaguar CPU
That's right, the processor has the word "JAGUAR" in it, which means the Xbox One is cursed to fail like the Atari Jaguar.

Also, apparently that live TV stuff Microsoft went on and on about for 30 minutes will not be available outside of the USA. Talk about failure. Oh, and you can't transfer your digital library from the Xbox 360. And on top of that, you still have to pay for Xbox Live Gold Membership.

But hey, at least your creepy Xbox 360 avatar and your stupid gamer score which has no value is transferred over!!!

The source for all of these tidbits is here.
OH MY GOD THEY KEEP SHOOTING THEMSELVES IN THE FACE OVER AND OVER AND OVER!!!

It's like after Windows 8 Microsoft said "HEY! WE DIDN'T DO ENOUGH TO MESS THIS UP!!!"

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
For the record, in my eyes, characters that are going to be displayed in the unveil are going to be the ones that would leave the biggest impressions. Not so much on who is popular, but more along the lines of what would attract people to the game. It's that reason why I can easily see stuff like Ridley and Takamaru being among the first newcomers revealed.

When it comes to reveals, impressions are always the #1 priority.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
^^^ That's the million dollar question. But whenever it is, we can guarantee it will be the opposite of the Xbox One presentation. :awesome:
For the record, in my eyes, characters that are going to be displayed in the unveil are going to be the ones that would leave the biggest impressions. Not so much on who is popular, but more along the lines of what would attract people to the game. It's that reason why I can easily see stuff like Ridley and Takamaru being among the first newcomers revealed.

When it comes to reveals, impressions are always the #1 priority.
Agreed. Meta Knight, Pit, Zero Suit Samus, Wario, and especially Snake all had huge impressions. On top of that, two of them basically confirmed other characters (Meta Knight basically confirmed King Dedede, Snake basically confirmed Sonic).

Oh, and the Final Smashes, Assist Trophy NPC's, and new stages implied a lot, too.

Also, this is why Dark Pit should never even be considered for an early introduced character. On top of that, the idea is pretty bland, especially since IMO Pit is the worst playable smash bros character ever (in terms of how they play; no really, he is awkward to play as, and his aerial game feels completely awkward and unnatural).

If anything, the development team should be focused on fixing Pit's awkwardness (especially in the air; no really, a flight-based character should be God-like in the air; the same kinda sorta goes with some of Charizard's aerials) instead of adding a new semi-clone Pit.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Not only that, but if the EX characters are not given their own slots, then they are seen more as bonuses than as "cheap filler".

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Speaking of EX modes...

What would you think if SSB4 had a Wario Land inspired moveset for Classic Wario, while keeping his Brawl moveset for WarioWare Wario?
You mean Project M Wario=??? Because that Wario kicks Brawl Wario's butt any day of the week. THAT SHOULDER BASH!!!

No really, that SHOULDER BASH is amazing!!! It blows that silly motorcycle bike out of the water, and it leads to all kinds of immediate offense.

But realistically, no, it won't happen. Sakurai doesn't seem to like Wario Land very much, and I think he is happy with the Wario Ware-based Wario. He made a great Wario moveset.

The problem is that the folks behind Project made a clearly superior one. This is especially true since the SHOULDER BASH is such a great offensive spark plug that inevitably leads to great action, whereas the motorcycle is worthless outside of using it as a throwing weapon. Also, Wario's smash attacks are slightly better in Project M, and lead to a more cohesive offense that really has a lot of undefinable chemistry in terms of how they work as offense (which I found really strange how it was better in that regards, since I thought Wario's Brawl moveset worked dang near perfect).

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
The only way Dark Pit and the return of Dr. Mario can make sense in the game's reveal is if the game has an EX mode feature that alters the characters slightly. Kind of like Ryu and Evil Ryu or Akuma and Shin Akuma in some Street Fighter games.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
If anything, the development team should be focused on fixing Pit's awkwardness (especially in the air; no really, a flight-based character should be God-like in the air; the same kinda sorta goes with some of Charizard's aerials) instead of adding a new semi-clone Pit.
The only awkwardness is the low power, honestly.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
The only way Dark Pit and the return of Dr. Mario can make sense in the game's reveal is if the game has an EX mode feature that alters the characters slightly. Kind of like Ryu and Evil Ryu or Akuma and Shin Akuma in some Street Fighter games.
You mean a late addition=??? Because that wouldn't be a terrible idea by any means, even if there are more suitable options (such as Roy, Toon Zelda/Toon "Sheik," and any number of Captain Falcon clones).

Of course, my opinion would be vastly different if Pit's moveset and playstyle fit the way he was meant to be implemented (as a fast striking air fighter), he didn't feel "awkward" controlling him, and he wasn't such a campy-friendly character.

Actually, now that I think about it, Paletuna could make a better Pit clone than Dark Pit (because she is more popular).

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
You mean a late addition=??? Because that wouldn't be a terrible idea by any means, even if there are more suitable options (such as Roy, Toon Zelda/Toon "Sheik," and any number of Captain Falcon clones).
What I meant to say is something like this:

During Nintendo Direct or E3, Iwata, Sakurai or Reggie talk about new features in SSB4 and state that one of them is that some characters have alternate modes that would alter their movesets slightly and cue Dr. Mario and Dark Pit as alts for Mario and Pit.

Other examples could be Daisy alt. for Peach or Galacta Knight alt. for Meta Knight.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Pit's only awkward because he's at a point in his life when the body starts to change.

His balls are dropping

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
EX Characters would be also certain other way to see other characters in Smash too, perhaps? Semi-clones would be moved to this as well? Huum.

Though I wonder, would Sakurai go far adding these fellows around for sake of adding 'em? Or put much effort?

D

Deleted member

For Devil's Advocate on Chrono's Dedede example, given where Dedede is placed in the data, I believe Dedede may have initially been an unlockable character. Same with Ike.

As for Pit, he should have never been an air-centric character. He can't fly. Dark Pit on the other hand, would make sense as an air-centric character given that he could fly anytime he wished using Pandora's power (until Pandora freed herself). So if by any chance Dark Pit is a separate character or even an EX Mode, he should be given Pit's air-centric style while Pit becomes more grounded.

As for Wario, a better mix of Land/Ware would be ideal, as there is no excuse for no proper Shoulder Bash or Ground Pound since Wario has been shown to do them in WarioWare as well.
However, the Bike is fine where it is. Wario's recovery requires the Bike to be effective. If it "must" be replaced, make the replacement good for recovery as well.
Example, replace it with "Dash Attack", which is two attacks in one. If used on the ground, it's a Shoulder Bash. If used in the air or if you jump while using Shoulder Bash, it's a Corkscrew Conk, which rises Wario in the air while moving forward. If used in the air, it can be jumped out of.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Why are you all discussing Dark Pit like he's a real contender to be a character?

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
The bike is probably the coolest special move in the game. Some people actually want to get rid of it.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
The only awkwardness is the low power, honestly.
No, I mean few of his aerial moves really feel like they do anything, they have awkward motions and hitboxes, and none of his aerial offense flows together (other than a move followed by an arrow).

Pit's aerial offense feels like you're playing as a floaty Bowser with Pichu's power, and the aerials don't really make sense. On top of that, only two of his special attacks have any real priority in the air (the up B and neutral B), and one of them doesn't even do damage.

Pit in Smash WiiU and 3DS should be more like Jigglypuff and/or Peach in Melee, if anything (albeit with less brutal combos and strength, and more chases that lead to some early gimps that are based on reads). That is the Pit I imagined I would play as before I ever touched Brawl, and I was very disappointed, because I saw all that great potential wasted.

Of course, it could be that Pit's moveset and hitboxes just didn't work with Brawl's gameplay, speed, and lack of real combos (outside of like a few characters and moves). I imagine Pit will be improved in Smash WiiU and 3DS quite significantly.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
If EX characters are there, hopefully someone can hack Smash 4 and separate them with a separate character select icon,like P:M did with the Pokémon Trainer. :p

Also, on Nintendo Direct:
The best Engrish show ever.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
You mean a late addition=??? Because that wouldn't be a terrible idea by any means, even if there are more suitable options (such as Roy, Toon Zelda/Toon "Sheik," and any number of Captain Falcon clones)..
Lucina or Celice would work better as EX versions of Marth better than Roy would. Chrom might possibly work as a EX version of Ike.

I imagine that if completely different people were possibly on the cards for EX characters that Daisy/Rosalina would be another choice. The other Pikmin captains could also possibly be EX versions of Olimar.

I think though Sakurai would be rather conservative with the EX character concept, and only extend it to a few that it would really make sense for (Dark Pit and Dr. Mario).

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Pit just seems really boring to me in Brawl. Hope they could give him more pizazz. Seems like his new game as plenty of flashy moves to borrow from.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
What I meant to say is something like this:

During Nintendo Direct or E3, Iwata, Sakurai or Reggie talk about new features in SSB4 and state that one of them is that some characters have alternate modes that would alter their movesets slightly and cue Dr. Mario and Dark Pit as alts for Mario and Pit.

Other examples could be Daisy alt. for Peach or Galacta Knight alt. for Meta Knight.
Oh no, I got that, but I think such an example would be best served as one of the last tidbits revealed before the game is released (much like Sonic and Olimar were shown) or saved as a secret you find out when the game is released (much like most hidden characters).
The bike is probably the coolest special move in the game. Some people actually want to get rid of it.
It's cool as a throwing object and very useful in that regard (and it could be better), but riding on it is worthless.

And in comparison with the Project M SHOULDER BASH (which leads to big hits, combos, more recovery options, position changes, and even grabs), it is vastly inferior as an offensive weapon. Plus, it is kinda sorta Wario's signature move in Wario Land, and it should have been in smash anyways IMO.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
That is fine. But I think most people find the bike cooler. Get rid of the bite. That move is weird.

D

Deleted member

It's cool as a throwing object and very useful in that regard (and it could be better), but riding on it is worthless.

And in comparison with the Project M SHOULDER BASH (which leads to big hits, combos, more recovery options, position changes, and even grabs), it is vastly inferior as an offensive weapon. Plus, it is kinda sorta Wario's signature move in Wario Land, and it should have been in smash anyways IMO.
As I said in my last post, the Bike is an important part of Wario's recovery option.
As a Wario main, I know this from experience.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
That is fine. But I think most people find the bike cooler. Get rid of the bite. That move is weird.
The bite is weird, but so is Wario. Also, it is (potentially) fairly useful in a future smash game as a "trap move" of sorts, and it diversifies Wario's moveset (potentially). Of course, all that is me talking in what I project a "perfect" Wario in Smash WiiU and 3DS to look like.

In a perfect world, I think if a new attack was implemented, the bike would be it, and the SHOULDER BASH would be the new Forward B... or the Shoulder Bash would be the new Forward Smash (and his current Forward Smash is fairly good IMO).

And for the record, I really, really, really like the bike, but man, the SHOULDER BASH is like a lover of mine.

But yeah, Wario has a lot of good options with potentially new moves or move improvements. That's a great thing. I wish Pit was in the same situation.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Not having a proper shoulder bash, does seem like a big blunder on the developer's part. Just like not having DK roll for his dash attack.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Chrono: Did you just mention Celice? (-=2=-)

BTW, if Lloyd made it in then, EX version could be Cless? Some of their attacks are same and
both get to field Eternal Sword at one point in their games..

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Instead of a bite attack, a grab special would be better imo, where he would shake the opponent. (Basically Wario's version of Koopa Klaw). The bite should be relegated to a pummel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom