• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morbi

Scavenger
There are only three things to really like about Kirby's English dub.

1. Latin Meta-Knight
2. Deep South King Dedede
3. That Jazzy and cheesey as hell Theme Song.

Ok. I'm really annoyed.

I can't find many vids of Latin Meta Knight.
So... do you like the dub better? I don't believe that the original has Latin Meta Knight or Deep South Dedede which was the only reason to watch the show, if the horrible voice acting was the only reason to watch, wouldn't that make the original source material irrelevant?

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Now I remember why I don't like Smashboards... the Hobbit hatred. No one appreciates the value of great entertainment anymore.... :urg:
...wut? ¦D

I have no idea how to respond to that, so here's a gif of Ed swinging hangers on his ears and a Sonic song that he surprisingly makes work with it.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm not much of an anime guy.

But my friend introduced me to this one that I've been enjoying.

My Mental Choices are Completely Interfering with my School Romantic Comedy!

Unfortunately, its fallen victim to DEH ECCHI but it has a genuinely funny sense of humor and while DEH ECCHI is there, it's not too bad. At least compared to several other anime out there.

I'd give it a go. It made me chuckle.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I actually like Waddle Doo's voice more in the dub because of how hilariously ironic it is. :laugh:

Just for comparison sake with the low-voiced English dub.
Never did see that one episode in English. I'd probably laugh to death if I did.

And then theres the "I NEEDUH MOSNTA TO CLOBBAH DAT DERE KIRBEH" line, so there are a few times in particular where I really enjoy some of dub's voices.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
So... do you like the dub better? I don't believe that the original has Latin Meta Knight or Deep South Dedede which was the only reason to watch the show, if the horrible voice acting was the only reason to watch, wouldn't that make the original source material irrelevant?
I guess. I never watched the Japanese dub. But I'll only watch the show for the cheese factor. And those three things are what sells the show for me.

Sort of the reason why I like Mortal Kombat Defenders of the realm. On the surface its G.I. Joe with MK characters. But when Raiden trash talks everyone around him, I bust out laughing. Same for whenever Striker gets upstaged by another member of the team.

Morbi

Scavenger
Gotta get dat der Kah-bee, right afta I build mah gawlf cawrse!

Yeah, Korra is pretty much an abomination that defiles the legacy of one of the greatest television series of all time, simply due to the hubris of its mediocre creators who took all the credit for what was actually achieved by a large team of brilliant writers.

There are simply no words. Actually, there are. It would just take all night to type them.
So you are asserting that Last Airbender had character development? I was merely stating that Korra had BETTER development. Both series had one dimensional characters that never really amounted to anything. I personally felt like they relayed on unique personalities to omit any meaningful character development. It seemed like they at least tried in Korra, she grew more in one season than Aang did in three. The supported cast was pretty much stagnant the entire journey, nothing really changed. It was a close call, I can understand why you think that there was little to no character development (as there really wasn't); however, I wouldn't state that Last Airbender did a great job either. Toph is really the only character that... well developed.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
So you are asserting that Last Airbender had character development? I was merely stating that Korra had BETTER development. Both series had one dimensional characters that never really amounted to anything. I personally felt like they relayed on unique personalities to omit any meaningful character development. It seemed like they at least tried in Korra, she grew more in one season than Aang did in three. The supported cast was pretty much stagnant the entire journey, nothing really changed. It was a close call, I can understand why you think that there was little to no character development (as there really wasn't); however, I wouldn't state that Last Airbender did a great job either. Toph is really the only character that... well developed.
Well to be fair, Toph was the best character in the entire series. ¦D

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
But the dub introduced us to the hilariously bad Texan accented King Dedede.
Now, I say, I say, Imma clobbah dat dere Kirbeh!

Well, Japanese voice actors for cartoons are usually of a higher caliber than they use in English dubs
That reminds me. We have anime voice actors gradually transitioning into Western Animation (Kari Wahlgren, Travis Willingham). It'd be kind of nice if we could get voice actors like Tom Kenny, Tress MacNeille, Grey DeLisle, etc. in some anime dubs. I wonder what it would've been like if Garterbelt had been voiced by Kevin Michael Richardson.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I actually like Waddle Doo's voice more in the dub because of how hilariously ironic it is. :laugh:

Just for comparison sake with the low-voiced English dub.
Meanwhile, Waddle Doo in English:

Well, that is quite a change if I do say so myself. Brooklyn Accent Waddle Doo. That one is a keeper. No doubt about that. No sir.

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
King Dedede's "Right Back at Ya" voice for Smash 4:

BTW, the main thing I hated about this show was how it couldn't decide whether or not it was CG or hand-drawn lol.

Morbi

Scavenger
...wut? ¦D

I have no idea how to respond to that, so here's a gif of Ed swinging hangers on his ears and a Sonic song that he surprisingly makes work with it.
It was mostly a joke, I didn't really expect anyone to identify the reference. This is a Nintendo fan-site after all. It was just a Gandalf quote, it really makes you contemplate how easy it is to misconstrue something that seems so direct to those accustomed to using the phrase. Subtle cultural differences can make a difference in how we interpret things. It mostly just shows that Gandalf is an expert philosopher though.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
It was mostly a joke, I didn't really expect anyone to identify the reference. This is a Nintendo fan-site after all. It was just a Gandalf quote, it really makes you contemplate how easy it is to misconstrue something that seems so direct to those accustomed to using the phrase. Subtle cultural differences can make a difference in how we interpret things. It mostly just shows that Gandalf is an expert philosopher though.
I didn't get to watch the Hobbit movie, if that's where it's from. Sorry. :<

And the "Nintendo fan-site" thing doesn't apply to me since I'm not a Nintendo fan at all. XD

Hoots

Can Be Combative
Compare Aang from episode 1 to Aang from episode 61. He goes from a completely immature kid who wants nothing more than to go penguin sledding to a calm, rational spiritual leader who is far more mature than his age. Korra in episode 1 is a brash teenager who hits things and cries when things don't go her way. Korra in episode 12 (the original intended ending) is a brash kid who confronts Amon without any kind of plan, accidentally defeats him when her airbending turns on randomly, and when she loses three out of her four superpowers, she just cries until Aang saves the day. Especially seeing the beginning of season 2, she learned absolutely nothing and didn't develop at all.

Actually look at the development of Sokka, Katara, Zuko, Azula, Toph, Iroh, etc. and you'll see that they all develop throughout the series. The characters of Korra (with the exception of Asami amd Tarrlok), are exactly the same. ****, even Ty Lee, a character that appears in only a handful of episodes, is more developed than a single character in Korra.

I could write 30 pages on this, but I don't think that's what we want to turn the Smash thread into.

Morbi

Scavenger
I didn't get to watch the Hobbit movie, if that's where it's from. Sorry. :<

And the "Nintendo fan-site" thing doesn't apply to me since I'm not a Nintendo fan at all. XD
The Hobbit is like one of the best-selling books of all time though. I am not really a Nintendo fan either, I used to be though, now I am simply a "Smash fan" which seems somewhat contrary at first.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Compare Aang from episode 1 to Aang from episode 61. He goes from a completely immature kid who wants nothing more than to go penguin sledding to a calm, rational spiritual leader who is far more mature than his age. Korra in episode 1 is a brash teenager who hits things and cries when things don't go her way. Korra in episode 12 (the original intended ending) is a brash kid who confronts Amon without any kind of plan, accidentally defeats him when her airbending turns on randomly, and when she loses three out of her four superpowers, she just cries until Aang saves the day. Especially seeing the beginning of season 2, she learned absolutely nothing and didn't develop at all.

Actually look at the development of Sokka, Katara, Zuko, Azula, Toph, Iroh, etc. and you'll see that they all develop throughout the series. The characters of Korra (with the exception of Asami amd Tarrlok), are exactly the same. ****, even Ty Lee, a character that appears in only a handful of episodes, is more developed than a single character in Korra.

I could write 30 pages on this, but I don't think that's what we want to turn the Smash thread into.
Dude, just go for it. We need something to kill time until the 6th. ¦D

Unless Xenoblaze-sensei is up for some healthy, hearty Fire Emblem Discussion~ ¦3

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I still prefer the Japanese version where Meta Knight says "Oh shi-" instead of "Here it comes"
If only that would've made it into the dub. I was really hoping it would've. That being said it doesn't surprise me that it didn't at all. (and yeah, I know he was actually going to say "shimatta")

That last line in the English dub still gets me too though.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I always loved this scene in the Kirby anime, despite how out of place it was (which might have made it even funnier, I don't know). :laugh:

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
The Hobbit is like one of the best-selling books of all time though. I am not really a Nintendo fan either, I used to be though, now I am simply a "Smash fan" which seems somewhat contrary at first.
Eh, I like Smash but I dunno if I can call myself a proper fan since I love P:M over Brawl itself. XD

Hell, after 64 and Melee, I was Smash'd out, honestly. The only reason I even got Brawl was because Sonic was in it. The only reason I kept it is because Homebrew started up, I got into Brawl+ and Brawl- and then later P:M. ¦D

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

Heh. I would read it. I've got no problem reading rants. I too had my problems with season 2. Mostly with the end. But I'm not the best of doing in depth rants myself. Though I am a fan of Tenzin in Korra.

Morbi

Scavenger

I agree, Last Airbender does get better, I was trying to keep it to season 1 (which I didn't, as I mentioned Toph). I don't necessarily view it as rational to compare a complete series to the first season of a different series. I can see where you are coming from, I just feel as though they did more with the characters in Korra than they did with the characters of Airbender. When you list out more specific notions, it becomes more apparent that I was wrong. I was probably trying to get at the predictable development, it was obvious what they were going for initially, so nothing was really surprising or unwarranted. In that event, I do change my response. Airbender had better character development, but Korra definitely had the more cohesive plot and better writing (undoubtedly due to the experience of writing Airbender).

I would hope that they start to develop Korra characters better in season 2 and 3, that is where Airbender really started picking up. But as you stated, she didn't learn anything, so that certainly doesn't give me hope.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Depends, are we talking in terms of gameplay, plot, or gay subtext?
Gay Subtext, then Gameplay. Follow it up with Lesiban Subtext. And finish off with Bi-Sexual Subtext. Throw in some plot too. And by plot, I mean terrible fan-service. That way, everyone wins.

Morbi

Scavenger
Eh, I like Smash but I dunno if I can call myself a proper fan since I love P:M over Brawl itself. XD

Hell, after 64 and Melee, I was Smash'd out, honestly. The only reason I even got Brawl was because Sonic was in it. The only reason I kept it is because Homebrew started up, I got into Brawl+ and Brawl- and then later P:M. ¦D
That is nice, it doesn't really explain why you commit time here though. Do you just really enjoy the community or the social aspects? It doesn't seem worth it to spend time on a website dedicated to something you no longer enjoy. Maybe that is just me, the second I am bored of Smash, I am gone. Haha.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
That is nice, it doesn't really explain why you commit time here though. Do you just really enjoy the community or the social aspects? It doesn't seem worth it to spend time on a website dedicated to something you no longer enjoy. Maybe that is just me, the second I am bored of Smash, I am gone. Haha.
Because it kills time and gives me people to entertain, be entertained by and manipulate for the sake of my sadistic needs. ¦D

Well, that and the real reason is because I frequented the Customized Content area most of the time several years ago during the prime of my Brawl Hacking days before BrawlVault was made and I migrated there.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
Yea, I found her to be absolutely adorable, especially when she turns all red after you pick certain choices.

For single player? Most defiantly, EOU easily trumps X/Y in that regard. No contest. Multiplayer though? Nah. Pokemon is the better experience if you want to play against other people and want more then just a competive
My friends who have Pokemon are mostly casual-ish in regards to gaming and my more immersed friends have perfect value shiny teams. Filling up my Pokedex is about as much post game as I'm interested in since IVs and EVs aren't really my thing.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
~Embrace the Chrom~
As much as I like him -- probably one of my favorite lords in the series -- I really don't see what he can do that the other three Fire Emblem characters cannot; unless Sakurai tries to give him lance attacks, or utilize the Pair Up system somehow. All I see him being is a middle weight character between the lighter Marth and heavier Ike -- Roy, essentially.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
I agree, Last Airbender does get better, I was trying to keep it to season 1 (which I didn't, as I mentioned Toph). I don't necessarily view it as rational to compare a complete series to the first season of a different series. I can see where you are coming from, I just feel as though they did more with the characters in Korra than they did with the characters of Airbender. When you list out more specific notions, it becomes more apparent that I was wrong. I was probably trying to get at the predictable development, it was obvious what they were going for initially, so nothing was really surprising or unwarranted. In that event, I do change my response. Airbender had better character development, but Korra definitely had the more cohesive plot and better writing (undoubtedly due to the experience of writing Airbender).

I would hope that they start to develop Korra characters better in season 2 and 3, that is where Airbender really started picking up. But as you stated, she didn't learn anything, so that certainly doesn't give me hope.
I wouldn't call it a cohesive plot. What was the entire point of the series? Korra certainly didn't learn anything and the world certainly wasn't changed for the better. What was Amon's motivation? He literally had none. What was the purpose of Mako and Bolin besides filling out Team Avatar and fulfilling the role of love interest and comedic relief? They did nothing of value the entire series. The ending was definitely rushed, everything happens within 2 episodes. Some people would say that's because they had to cram the entire story into 12 episodes. Well if that was the case, why did they waste 6 entire episodes with Pro-Bending, the most boring waste of time in the history of Avatar? That's the definition of awful pacing.

As I said, I could go on all night, but I won't. However, I'd like to touch on your point of the "experience of writing Airbender." Mike and Bryan (the creators of TLA) were not the head writers. That was Aaron Ehasz. It was thanks to him and one of the execs who served as everyone's boss (along with the large writing staff), that helped turn the series into what it became. A ton of Mike and Bryan's original ideas were absolutely atrocious, and it was the iteration of all of the writers and producers that honed Avatar after bouncing all of the ideas around. In Korra, it was just Mike and Bryan with not a single check against them. Clearly, it showed that they didn't learn much.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
So what kind of genre would you like to see more of in movies and TV? Personally, I would like to see westerns make a bit of a comeback. But I get that they sort of did, with the new Lone Ranger and all. But when was the last western TV show? Even if it's a cartoon.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
As much as I like him -- probably one of my favorite lords in the series -- I really don't see what he can do that the other three Fire Emblem characters cannot; unless Sakurai tries to give him lance attacks, or utilize the Pair Up system somehow. All I see him being is a middle weight character between the lighter Marth and heavier Ike -- Roy, essentially.
Base his move set on generic attack animations from Awakening. Much like Marth's moveset is based on NES attack animations. You could even make a couple of animations from stuff he does in the CG cut scenes.

Morbi

Scavenger
I wouldn't call it a cohesive plot. What was the entire point of the series? Korra certainly didn't learn anything and the world certainly wasn't changed for the better. What was Amon's motivation? He literally had none. What was the purpose of Mako and Bolin besides filling out Team Avatar and fulfilling the role of love interest and comedic relief? They did nothing of value the entire series. The ending was definitely rushed, everything happens within 2 episodes. Some people would say that's because they had to cram the entire story into 12 episodes. Well if that was the case, why did they waste 6 entire episodes with Pro-Bending, the most boring waste of time in the history of Avatar? That's the definition of awful pacing.

As I said, I could go on all night, but I won't. However, I'd like to touch on your point of the "experience of writing Airbender." Mike and Bryan (the creators of TLA) were not the head writers. That was Aaron Ehasz. It was thanks to him and one of the execs who served as everyone's boss (along with the large writing staff), that helped turn the series into what it became. A ton of Mike and Bryan's original ideas were absolutely atrocious, and it was the iteration of all of the writers and producers that honed Avatar after bouncing all of the ideas around. In Korra, it was just Mike and Bryan with not a single check against them. Clearly, it showed that they didn't learn much.
That wasn't necessarily the intent of the series though, the save the world plot was for Airbender. Korra was going for something different. I don't know if I recall the series correctly, I thought Amon had all of the motivation in the world, I must be forgetting something. I agree though, that ending was rushed and the pacing was horrendous, that doesn't really correlate to how cohesive the story-line was though.

I didn't know the writers, I was making an assumption. In that case, I prefer Mike and Bryan's style.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
*steps in*

Virtually all the Fire Emblem lords are interchangeable aside from minor, insignificant differences.

*steps out*
More or less.

Which is why I don't support Fire Emblem characters even if I like the series

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom