• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Avatar is the best Anime I've ever seen.

*readies popcorn*

:troll:
I like Zelda. He looks so cool in his green hat. But I can't still believe that Metroid is a girl. Who's your favorite Digimon, mine's Pikachu. Also, can't wait to see Spider-Man, Wolverine, and Goku in the Justice League movie.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I don't really like Ramen, Clothes Whitener, or One Piece, though I mostly watch anime for either a good story or fan service.

I liked the concept of Naruto, but the execution failed terribly. I completely dropped it for the whole middle section and then picked it up around the time Hinata finally confessed. I still never read any of what I missed, I'm just waiting for that thick **** to respond back to her after all the fighting is over. I watched bits and pieces of Bleach, but it never really stuck with me, similar situation with One Piece.

I actually watched DB and DBZ all the time when I was younger, always waited for the next episode, but then I just got tired of it. I tried going back to it but I've found that the whole super powered, planet exploding, op as **** aspect is a real turn-off. I guess I just prefer the struggles of someone who can't just fly around and blow their problems up by snapping their fingers.

I don't think I've actually watched any anime completely through to the finish, though I did watch the entire second season of Code Geass. I mostly just like Ghibli movies, Spirited Away is my all-time favorite.

D

Deleted member

Avatar is great and I wish more American/Canadian cartoons were as story driven and as artistically inspired.
I think it's animated by a Japanese studio if I'm not mistaken.

The writing and voice acting is done here, but I'm pretty sure the animation is Asia, I think it's a Japanese studio, might be Korean, I'm not sure.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
2 was my personal fave. 3 seems to be a bit more accessible for CoD players. Not that it's a bad thing, I just loved the balance in that the devs created in 2.
Agreed ME1 seemed to retain a lot more RPG elements than what I was originally expecting. The combat in general felt really clunky to me at first since I kept trying to play it like a traditional shooter. It wasn't until around 4-5 hours into the game when I finally figured out the combat is heavily reliant on slowing down, using cover, and picking the right powers to use in various situations as opposed to just running around with guns blazing. There was also a TON of micromanagement that took place between battles (too much if you ask me).

ME2 seems to have struck that perfect balance. Combat feels a lot faster paced but it still maintains a lot of the fun RPG elements from the first game.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
It's interesting to say the least because we live in an age where communication is so open and it's virtually impossible to behave in a way that pleases everyone because of how much scrutiny people are under online.
Truer words have never before been spoken.

I gave up a long time trying to please everyone. I please entertain who I can and don't worry about who I can't.

In the words of 50 Cent: Go head and switch your style up, and if they hate then let them them hate and watch the money pile up.

D

Deleted member

I like Zelda. He looks so cool in his green hat. But I can't still believe that Metroid is a girl. Who's your favorite Digimon, mine's Pikachu. Also, can't wait to see Spider-Man, Wolverine, and Goku in the Justice League movie.

Here we go:

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I hope I'm not the only one who wants Bo-bobo to return so they can finish the damn story already.

Seriously, the show ended in the final plot-important area in the middle of a fight with the first enemy they came across. Then it ended with a quiet whimper.
Whoops. Accidentally quoted myself.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Uhm.... I don't really like the direction this conversation is headed...

Could we go back to anime or something?

Also, for the record, ~auto is a girl.
Eh, that's more believable than Morbid being one, that's for sure. *shrugs*

Also, while I'm late, I'll just pitch in to say the Fate/Zero is easily one of the best anime made, period.

Also, Log Horizon is infinitely better than .Hack and SAO could ever hope to be. Saying that as a long time fan of the entirety of the .hack franchise. Games, anime, novels and all.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I think it's animated by a Japanese studio if I'm not mistaken.

The writing and voice acting is done here, but I'm pretty sure the animation is Asia, I think it's a Japanese studio, might be Korean, I'm not sure.
Well, I meant the concept. The creators are Canadian (if I remember right) but, yeah, most TV series are animated in Asia because it's significantly cheaper to do it over there.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Truer words have never before been spoken.

I gave up a long time trying to please everyone. I please entertain who I can and don't worry about who I can't.

In the words of 50 Cent: Go head and switch your style up, and if they hate then let them them hate and watch the money pile up.
Or as Sigmund Freud once said "Just as you can't force people into belief, you can't force people into disbelief" because people are going to act and think how they want and it's ultimately their decision if they change or not. It was life experiences that taught me to stop being racist, not any argument anyone ever made. It was broadening my horizons that taught me to stop being homophobic, not any internet post. People will come to whatever conclusions they will on their own terms and if they don't see changing as a way to improve their personal lives, they probably won't. This isn't to excuse when people step out of line but simply how people operate because people won't feel guilty about something they don't consider bad unless their worldview changes from their own experience.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Anime talk huh?

My thoughts on the Big Three.

Naruto: I liked the show, WHEN I WAS FIFTEEN. I saw it as something edgy considering other anime had been butchered to death prior to Naruto on channels like Cartoon Network. By the time they got to the Sound Ninja, I felt like it was a damn cycle every arc so I just said screw it.

Bleach: I watched up until about the climax of Soul Society. I enjoyed it, but it felt predictable after a while.

One PIece: I haven't been able to watch a whole lot of this show. When it was first brought to the West, the art style didn't do much for me at the time (I've come to love it since then) and I later deliberately refused to watch it due to 4Kids' (Rest in Pain) policies. Definitely started watching it when Funimation got it. I have the first 24 or 36 episodes on DVD, but stopped after a while due to the costs. That being said, I always enjoyed watching the Funimation dub when it's been on TV and it'll be back this weekend now that movie month is over on Adult Swim. Some of the things I love are the deliberate over-the-topness like so:

You just can't take that kind of **** seriously and you love it!

Outside of those, I haven't been watching much anime lately. In the last couple of years, I've seen FMA:Brotherhood (probably one of my all time favorites), Shirokuma Cafe, Guin Saga (still need to finish), iDolM@ster (need to finish), Attack on Titan, and probably some others. I loved watching the 2003 FMA series, Ghost in the Shell, Cowboy Bebop, and others on Adult Swim.

Growing up, my first anime was either Speed Racer or Sailor Moon. I didn't get to see much of the latter as a kid, but I loved it. My first boxset I ever owned was Azumanga Daioh. Right now, I have Panty and Stocking and FMA: Brotherhood in the mail. I already saw Panty and Stocking in Japanese, but I need to see it in English, and my sister has never seen the show except for one episode.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I bet I would have been a much Stronger person today had I watched Sailor Moon as a kid.

What a missed opportunity.

Could have pretended I was a Sailor Scout.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Kuma, let me just warn you right now.

You're going to need some lung and kidney transplants after watching Panty & Stocking in English. Maybe a new tongue too, if you bite it off.

It's absolutely hilariously perfect in English. It was totally made for it. ¦D

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
Fooly Cooly will always remain my favorite anime. Short and sweet with a hell of a message, fantastic animation, and better developed characters than series with 100+ episodes.
Number of episodes tends to be inversely proportional to character development in anime, or at least it is once you breach 50 episodes or so, since all the crazy long running shows are Shonen/shojo/kid's show that don't try very hard to be well written.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Speaking of deliberate over-the-topness... Gurren Lagann... enough said. There's way too many scenes in that series where I was laughing and in complete awe at the same time. Excel Saga has a few moments like that too and the final episode had me laughing for days afterwards just because of it's supreme WTF-ness.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Kuma, let me just warn you right now.

You're going to need some lung and kidney transplants after watching Panty & Stocking in English. Maybe a new tongue too, if you bite it off.

It's absolutely hilariously perfect in English. It was totally made for it. ¦D
Oh, thanks for reminding me to watch the dubbed version for curiosity sake.

Already watched all of the episodes subbed a long time ago, but never watched the dub.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I see your avatar is Frederica from Etrian Odyssey Untold. Downloaded that when I went to Starbucks recently.
Yea, I found her to be absolutely adorable, especially when she turns all red after you pick certain choices.

As fun as Pokemon Y was I feel like EO:U would be a more satisfying experience overall.
For single player? Most defiantly, EOU easily trumps X/Y in that regard. No contest. Multiplayer though? Nah. Pokemon is the better experience if you want to play against other people and want more then just a competive

Meh, it really doesn't feel very special from your typical turn-based RPG/dungeon crawler. The cartography feature didn't enhance the gameplay much and there's an awful lot of handholding. Etrian Odyssey isn't a bad game at all. It just could be better.

On the other hand, the start-up screen has a pleasant sound I made into my alarm clock and Shileka is sexy, as well as her shop theme. ;P
Hand holding? Don't play story mode then (that's the only way I can think of their being hand holding), and don't play a mode other then expert. If your talking about when it explains stuff to you, it's kinda needed for most things cause otherwise you would get confused when it came to things like Grimoires, and the game does absolutely no hand holding in battle unless you are on Story mode when Ren and Tlachtga join you for that very short time. Besides it has a lot less hand holding then Pokemon.

As for the anime talk.

I use to watch Naruto, till it just got to long and just decided to drop it. I'm with Fatman when it comes to preferring shorter animes now. I also don't like Bleach or One Piece. So far the best anime I have watched is Chrono Crusade, I don't watch that much anime btw and have been watching 0 recently due to how the internet my parents have set-up works and videos take up to much gigs. I also distrust subs for the most part, I generally prefer dubbed. I've also watched and liked Shaman King, High School DxD (only the first seasons and most of its OVAs, haven't gotten to watch any of the new season), Grenadier, Death Note (was only able to get about halfway through it unfourtantly, I really want to start watching this particular anime again and finish it), and Cardcaptors. I have a wide variety of tastes when it comes to these things usually.

Also, I don't like Mangas. If I'm going to read I'm going to read an actual book with no pictures, or very very few pictures.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
You guys can debate all you want, but just try to give me one legitimate reason why FMAB isn't the greatest anime of all time.

You can't.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Meh.
I prefer cartoons.
Backs out slowly.
Why not both? I did just mention Panty & Stocking, after all, which pretty much is both. ¦D

But seriously, I love anime, cartoons, and what I call "animated shows" for the more different things from cartoons like Justice League, Teen Titans, Batman: The Animated Series, Avatar and other stuff.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I use to watch Naruto, till it just got to long and just decided to drop it. I'm with Fatman when it comes to preferring shorter animes now. I also don't like Bleach or One Piece. So far the best anime I have watched is Chrono Crusade, I don't watch that much anime btw and have been watching 0 recently due to how the internet my parents have set-up works and videos take up to much gigs. I also distrust subs for the most part, I generally prefer dubbed. I've also watched and liked Shaman King, High School DxD (only the first seasons and most of its OVAs, haven't gotten to watch any of the new season), Grenadier, Death Note (was only able to get about halfway through it unfourtantly, I really want to start watching this particular anime again and finish it), and Cardcaptors. I have a wide variety of tastes when it comes to these things usually.
I've read a bit of Shaman King, but I haven't watched it, I don't think. I probably should at some point.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I usually watch English dubs, but I like comparing them to the Japanese original. For example, in Soul Eater, I like most of the characters' voices in English, but I think some characters just sound better in the Japanese version and vice versa.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Technically anime and cartoons are the same thing.

It's like saying "I prefer groundhogs to woodchucks"
Can we please not get into that debate? It'll go on until Monday. ¦D;

You guys can debate all you want, but just try to give me one legitimate reason why FMAB isn't the greatest anime of all time.

You can't.
Agree that Fate/Zero definitely ties with it and you've got yourself a deal. ¦(

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Anime are essentially Japanese cartoons. In fact, the Japanese call "anime" to ALL cartoons, be them Japanese or not.

The term isn't even of Japanese origin, actually. It comes from French: "animé" means "animated" in French.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Anime?

Well, aside from Pokemon, Kirby and Hamtaro (one of my favorite shows when I was younger) I've never really been a big fan of anime.

There is also the Animal Crossing movie. Haven't seen the full movie as of yet, I really should take some time to find a good dub of it and watch it.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Damn, it looks like my PSP finally gave out today. The system won't turn on, and the memory card slot is broken.

I wonder if I should spend money on a new one or not.....

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I bet I would have been a much Stronger person today had I watched Sailor Moon as a kid.

What a missed opportunity.

Could have pretended I was a Sailor Scout.
Well, you're in luck. Toei Animation is working on a new Sailor Moon series. God knows when it's coming out though. It was supposed to come out last year, but no one knows what's going on anymore.

Oh, thanks for reminding me to watch the dubbed version for curiosity sake.

Already watched all of the episodes subbed a long time ago, but never watched the dub.
Sadly, they took out the RRRRRRRRUUUUUURRRRRRRUUUUU thing, but that was to be expected as it wouldn't make sense in an English dub.

Why not both? I did just mention Panty & Stocking, after all, which pretty much is both. ¦D

But seriously, I love anime, cartoons, and what I call "animated shows" for the more different things from cartoons like Justice League, Teen Titans, Batman: The Animated Series, Avatar and other stuff.
Panty & Stocking is also the kind of show that simply BELONGS on Adult Swim. I said that back when I first saw the show.

I'm not biased to anime or cartoons, but I do greatly enjoy character driven stuff. I find that stuff more entertaining than straight up "plot driven" stuff.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Anime are essentially Japanese cartoons. In fact, the Japanese call "anime" to ALL cartoons, be them Japanese or not.

The term isn't even of Japanese origin, actually. It comes from French: "animé" means "animated" in French.
Anime is short for "Animation" in Japan. They didn't derive it from the French language, I can promise you that. It's just shorthand.

And let's face it, regardless of whether you all try to argue and debate that, one thing remains true. Majority of people think of two distinct types of media and content when you say Cartoons vs. Anime, therefore due to details and semantics, they are basically considered different genres in the same media of animated shows.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Damn, it looks like my PSP finally gave out today. The system won't turn on, and the memory card slot is broken.

Is the Vita retro compatible with PSP games? Perhaps you could consider this option, if that's the case...

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

If you can find it for cheap. How many games do you have on the system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom