• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I recommend watching Fate/Zero if ya'll are looking for some anime. The Cap'n knows exactly what I'm talking about. One of the better series (to me, anyway) in recent memory.

In light of that, I'm looking forward to the redux of Fate/Stay Night.

Smooth Criminal
Fate Zero was amazing. Are they really gonna make a redux of FSN?

The original anime was awful, and it's a shame they didn't do the VN justice. If they do, I hope they get all the way to Heaven's Feel, that was the best route.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Soul Eater, Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood, and a few animes that have since gone off the air (some of which I really wish would return) are good, too.
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is probably my all-time favorite anime. The plot, the variations of tone, the likable, complex characters, a quality English dub, the alchemy. In fact, I can't even properly convey how awesome it is from this post! So awesome that I'm actually rewatching it with my stepbrother who is a papoose to anime and he loves it! This should serve as a model to the shounen genere to borrow from.

Soul Eater though. Eh, gave it an honest chance. Dropped it somewhere around episode 30-32. I have never watched an anime with such laggy pacing and annoying, over-the-top characters. Seriously, the main cast is on par with some Naruto characters in terms of annoyance.

I recommend watching Fate/Zero if ya'll are looking for some anime. The Cap'n knows exactly what I'm talking about. One of the better series (to me, anyway) in recent memory.

In light of that, I'm looking forward to the redux of Fate/Stay Night.

Smooth Criminal
Yes. **** yes. Fate/Zero is a great representation of the Fate/ series and I highly recommend it. I can't wait to see ufotable fix Fate/Stay night. I think they'll be doing the Heaven's Feel Route, which I'm not sure the earlier anime covered.

On a slightly unrelated note, I love the moniker Smooth Criminal gives me. Keep it up!

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Kind of obvious with my current avatar of Gohan, But I'm a fan of Dragon Ball/DBZ. I find myself liking Dragon Ball Z a little more than the original series. I think it has to do with characters like Gohan, Vegeta and Trunks. Though I really liked Full Metal Alchemist and Cowboy Bebop.

As for other Shonen Jump stuff, I also really like Yu Yu Hakusho. The only series I have kept up with are Naruto and Bleach. But Naruto Shippuden isn't as good as the original series. The focus of the series should have stayed as a Coming of Age story.

To be honest, I've almost stopped watching anime. Maybe I'll watch that Attack on Titan show someday. I still watch American animated series though. Mostly Super Hero stuff like Spider-Man, X-Men, Justice League and the like.

D

Deleted member

Yes. **** yes. Fate/Zero is a great representation of the Fate/ series and I highly recommend it. I can't wait to see ufotable fix Fate/Stay night. I think they'll be doing the Heaven's Feel Route, which I'm not sure the earlier anime covered.

On a slightly unrelated note, I love the moniker Smooth Criminal gives me. Keep it up!

No, the anime kinda did a butchered Fate route with some elements from the other two routes thrown in, and something to do with... dragons?? Replacing the "mana transfer" (read: sex) scene. :glare:

It was awful. I'd definitely be ecstatic if ufotable did Heaven's Feel.:estatic:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Kind of obvious with my current avatar of Gohan, But I'm a fan of Dragon Ball/DBZ. I find myself liking Dragon Ball Z a little more than the original series. I think it has to do with characters like Gohan, Vegeta and Trunks. Though I really liked Full Metal Alchemist and Cowboy Bebop.

As for other Shonen Jump stuff, I also really like Yu Yu Hakusho. The only series I have kept up with are Naruto and Bleach. But Naruto Shippuden isn't as good as the original series. The focus of the series should have stayed as a Coming of Age story.

To be honest, I've almost stopped watching anime. Maybe I'll watch that Attack on Titan show someday. I still watch American animated series though. Mostly Super Hero stuff like Spider-Man, X-Men, Justice League and the like.
I'm not a saiyan fan.

I prefer Dragon Ball to Dragon Ball Z

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
@ManlySpirit

The Haku/Zabuza arc was great, and even parts of the Chunin exam were okay, but everything else...? The whole damn series died for me when Kishimoto tried comparing Naruto's tragic backstory with Gaara's. Besides the ostracism they faced because of their being tactical nukes of their respective nations, the two of them are nothing alike. Naruto wasn't hounded every step of his adolescence by a fear-mongering parent who wanted to mold him into a superweapon, Naruto wasn't betrayed by the only person that seemed to give a **** about him growing up, and Naruto never, ever had to kill anyone to survive. Gaara was essentially molded into being a ****ing sociopath by his backstory, and yet Naruto can TOTALLY understand that because none of the kids wanted to play with him. Then, Gaara magically becomes a better person because of this empathy that makes absolutely no sense, and becomes the leader of a nation that hated and feared him...? No. That's bull****.

I only follow the series now because I promised some people in the Naruto thread here on Smashboards that when the series ended, I would write up a satirical essay detailing why it failed so hard. The whole bull**** empathy card that Kishimoto seems to draw on between characters is one of its many, many failings.

I'm not gonna rant too much here, but all I'm gonna say is that after the awesomeness that was the Soul Society arc, you didn't have any higher expectations of the author...?

One Piece reminds me of a Japanese Disney adventure. That's why I find it to be charming.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
The issue is not "seriousness" or lacking a sense of humor. **** (an implication that you joked about) is serious and it's not something you throw in a stranger's face on the internet. Abuse towards women is a serious issue and throwing that at a female peer (ironically using the username ManlySprit) is uncalled for. I joke about all sorts of things but at least I develop familiarity with someone before making jokes about others and I avoid subjects which endorse abuse and objectification of my peers.

This is the reason women can't be out in the open in some online communities, especially gaming related ones. The gender power binary allows you to get away with **** like this among other transgressions against the minority in the community. You'll never be a victim and you should feel lucky you'll never be seen and treated as an object. Also, GGs for flying the "I'm so edgy flag because people's misfortune makes me feel entertained" flag; you're super cool.

I expect an apology for your oppressive actions.
I like how overly serious you're taking this when I'm not being serious even in the slightest. o.o'

This is probably why I can't take feminists seriously. Especially when they assume stuff and shove it down your throat.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I was never talking about **** or even implicating it. Heck, I wasn't even a part of the conversation. I just threw out a controversial response because I knew someone would probably respond to it in an entertaining way, which you clearly have. If you thought I was doing anything else and still think that, then that's something you misread and decided for yourself and that's no one's fault but your own. XD

I joke around and tease people. It's what I do. Sometimes mildly, sometimes crudely. I'm not going to let anything stop me from enjoying myself unless a specific person I was talking to got offended when I wasn't trying to offend them and I actually care enough to apologize. If it's actually my fault, I'll own up to it. If it's not and they're just overreacting, I'll tell them as such and let them deal with it. In person, online or over the phone, that doesn't change for me.

So no, you're not getting an apology at all, my friend, because to adapt and tweak a certain line from a certain horrible little black duck:

The fact that you are unable to share the same sense of humor and carefree attitude as me is not my fault.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
I must say, the Nasuverse probably has my favorite depiction of magic across all mediums I've ever seen. It brings out its gritty occult elements while keeping just the right tone of exaggeration. Just reading some things off the Type-Moon Wiki, it sounds like its various practices look quite methodical and intricately researched as if I were reading a textbook.

Am I the only one who wants to see a Fate/Stay Night Lore in a Minute and Fast Facts? I mean, visual novels are kinda like video games.

D

Deleted member

The issue is not "seriousness" or lacking a sense of humor. **** (an implication that you joked about) is serious and it's not something you throw in a stranger's face; even on the internet. Abuse towards women is a serious issue and throwing that at a female peer (ironically using the username ManlySprit) is uncalled for. I joke about all sorts of things but at least I develop familiarity with someone before making jokes about others and I avoid subjects which endorse abuse and objectification of my peers.

This is the reason women can't be out in the open in some online communities, especially gaming related ones. The gender power binary allows you to get away with **** like this among other transgressions against the minority in the community. You'll never be a victim and you should feel lucky you'll never be seen and treated as an object. Also, GGs for flying the "I'm so edgy flag because people's misfortune makes me feel entertained" flag; you're super cool.

I expect an apology for your oppressive actions.

Just wanna make an aside for this...

Yeah Wave, it was kinda insensitive what you did. I mean, I'm a misanthrope and crack mean jokes all the time, but **** is kind of a line you don't cross...

It's all fun and games and all, but, as hard as it is to believe, that stuff genuinely DOES happen to people in the real world, and honestly, it's really sad when it does. Doesn't matter the gender of the victim, male or female, it really breaks a person when that happens. You should be a little more sympathetic toward the suffering of others.

@ManlySpirit

The Haku/Zabuza arc was great, and even parts of the Chunin exam were okay, but everything else...? The whole damn series died for me when Kishimoto tried comparing Naruto's tragic backstory with Gaara's. Besides the ostracism they faced because of their being tactical nukes of their respective nations, the two of them are nothing alike. Naruto wasn't hounded every step of his adolescent by a fear-mongering parent who wanted to mold him into a superweapon, Naruto wasn't betrayed by the only person that seemed to give a **** about him growing up, and Naruto never, ever had to kill anyone to survive. Gaara was essentially molded into being a ****ing sociopath by his backstory, and yet Naruto can TOTALLY understand that because none of the kids wanted to play with him. Then, Gaara magically becomes a better person because of this empathy that makes absolutely no sense, and becomes the leader of a nation that hated and feared him...? No. That's bull****.

I only follow the series now because I promised some people in the Naruto thread here on Smashboards that when the series ended, I would write up a satirical essay detailing why it failed so hard. The whole bull**** empathy card that Kishimoto seems to draw on between characters is one of its many, many failings.

I'm not gonna rant too much here, but all I'm gonna say is that after the awesomeness that was the Soul Society arc, you didn't have any higher expectations of the author...?

One Piece reminds me of a Japanese Disney adventure. That's why I find it to be charming.

Smooth Criminal

I was gonna do something similar, but I'm camera shy :nervous:Embarrass. So in the end I just decided on not doing it. Especially since my goal was to anger all the diehard narutards

SS arc was amazing, but honestly, once we got well into the Mexico arc, I realized Kubo is a one-trick pony kinda writer. Which is a pity, cause Bleach had a lot of potential starting up, especially when it was just about a teenager hunting ghosts. Still, at least it manages to be entertaining, even if it is just to watch Kubo troll us, I still have fun reading it.

I'm convinced One Piece is the best thing to happen to manga since Monster. It's truly a work of art. It's very charming, but also very powerful as a story, all of the characters, and their stories and struggles are just so moving. And, it all even makes reference to history and real life events which is really neat.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I must say, the Nasuverse probably has my favorite depiction of magic across all mediums I've ever seen. It brings out its gritty occult elements while keeping just the right tone of exaggeration. Just reading some things off the Type-Moon Wiki, it sounds like its various practices look quite methodical and intricately researched as if I were reading a textbook.

Am I the only one who wants to see a Fate/Stay Night Lore in a Minute and Fast Facts? I mean, visual novels are kinda like video games.
You're not the only one. I love the Nasuverse setting and how the supernatural operates.

@ Kaye Cruiser Kaye Cruiser

Automatic wasn't creating a scene. He was pointing out how insensitive and moronic your statement was. Big difference.

Smooth Criminal

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I'm not a saiyan fan.

I prefer Dragon Ball to Dragon Ball Z
Heh, I can understand. I do appreciate the Original's fight scenes a lot, being more like a Kung-Fu movie. And less Super Heroish like DBZ. Same for having better humor. The Saiyans did become the biggest deal in the series. The reason I like Gohan and Vegeta so much is their character development. Nothing too complex, but it was cool nonetheless to see Gohan become a strong fighter and Vegeta become selfless.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Just wanna make an aside for this...

Yeah Wave, it was kinda insensitive what you did. I mean, I'm a misanthrope and crack mean jokes all the time, but **** is kind of a line you don't cross...

It's all fun and games and all, but, as hard as it is to believe, that stuff genuinely DOES happen to people in the real world, and honestly, it's really sad when it does. Doesn't matter the gender of the victim, male or female, it really breaks a person when that happens. You should be a little more sympathetic toward the suffering of others.
Okay, seriously, where is all of this "****" stuff coming from? I never even saw the word uttered when i came in a few pages back, so to me, you guys are just shoving words down my throat. -.o

Hell, I'm well aware that **** happens. My older sister who is 7 years apart from me switched on and off from using me as her personally stress toy to her personal sex toy until I got tired of it, told her to stop and she busted my head open and sent me to the hospital back when I was a little tyke. Yes, **** is real. I'm well aware.

But yet again, I never saw the word uttered once or a single thing even slightly referencing it either, so I'm standing by the stance that you all are taking what I said out of context into something I wasn't even a part of. *shrugs* Sorry, but that's just how it is.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Heh, I can understand. I do appreciate the Original's fight scenes a lot, being more like a Kung-Fu movie. And less Super Heroish like DBZ. Same for having better humor. The Saiyans did become the biggest deal in the series. The reason I like Gohan and Vegeta so much is their character development. Nothing too complex, but it was cool nonetheless to see Gohan become a strong fighter and Vegeta become selfless.
I didn't like Vegeta when I was younger, but now that I'm older (And now that the movie with the cat god came out) I realize Vegita is one of the more respectable characters within the series.

Goku pisses me off

He'd let the planet die if it meant satisfying his lust for combat

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Yikes... Naruto discussions and **** accusations...

Sakurai this is what happens when you go on break

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
DBZ is garbage but it's lovable garbage. It's main selling point has always been its characters and even with it's predictable storylines, you can tell that it's a show that has never taken itself too seriously. It's over-the-top but it knows this and still runs with it because even when the characters become so strong they can blow up galaxies with a high pitched fart, it's still entertaining to a degree even if you're suspension of disbelief has to go on life support after watching some episodes from the sheer strain of it.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
@ Kaye Cruiser Kaye Cruiser

Automatic wasn't creating a scene. He was pointing out how insensitive and moronic your statement was. Big difference.

Smooth Criminal
Wasn't aware that making a big deal out of a statement overblown by your own imagination counted for a legit example of "pointing something out". >.>

I'm not trying to win any medals for sainthood here. If my dialogue is too insensitive for people, they can always just ignore me. *shrugs*

I don't have time to be worried about people taking things out of context and the wrong way. That's their problem, not mine.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero

Smooth Criminal
He kinda was, actually.

He could've said, "That's very insulting to women, especially those who have been victims of sexual abuse, and I think you should stop." instead of making a lengthy reply.

----

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
He kinda was, actually.

He could've said, "That's very insulting to women, especially those who have been victims of sexual abuse, and I think you should stop." instead of making a lengthy reply.

----
Exactly. After that, I could've asked him just what the heck he was even talking about so I'd understand why all of you are screaming "RAPERAPERAPE" when I never saw the word or topic of discussion uttered even once.

Think, you people. Think.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
So how about that ending to Mass Effect 3? ¦D
Mass Effect 3 sucked according to the general consensus.
I've had all 3 MEs rotting on my desk for the longest time so I'm just now playing through the series for the first time. The first one was fantastic and I'm currently enjoying #2 so hopefully ME3 won't be as much of a letdown as I've heard.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
There are a lot of things I respect about the Dragonball franchise though:

1. The fact the main characters act like a big family.
2. Almost every arc ends with a bad guy becoming a good guy thanks to an act of mercy.
3. Said bad guy developing as a character because they were given this second chance.
4. The characters actually aging and changing their wardrobes/hairstyles over time.
5. Characters showing different interests aside from fighting and knowing when it was time to "hang up the gloves" to pursue different things.
6. The series ability to knock down serious characters a peg and put them in uncomfortable situations where they're forced to act out of character.
7. The lack of filler compared to other shonen shows especially when you consider One Piece and Naruto have ENTIRE SEASONS that are nothing but filler.

Muster

Smash Lord
NNID
Muster
3DS FC
3454-0690-6658
He kinda was, actually.

----
Yeah, i don't think wave's comment was "literally a terrorist attack on female identity". seriously guys, you're making mountains out of anthills
edit: molehills

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I've had all 3 MEs rotting on my desk for the longest time so I'm just now playing through the series for the first time. The first one was fantastic and I'm currently enjoying #2 so hopefully ME3 won't be as much of a letdown as I've heard.
2 was my personal fave. 3 seems to be a bit more accessible for CoD players. Not that it's a bad thing, I just loved the balance in that the devs created in 2.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I've recently been getting into anime and manga. (Mainly thanks to this forum, actually.)

I started reading (and I am still reading because it's ongoing) Assassination Classroom. Soul Eater was the second manga I read, then watched the anime. Next, I watched Sword Art Online and now, I'm reading and watching Fairy Tail.

Before recently, the last time I had watched anime was several years ago when I watched the Pokémon and other animes on TV.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
The Slayers will forever be my favorite anime series to watch and revisit of all time.

And not just because it was my first one as a little kid. That does help a bit, though. <3

D

Deleted member

Exactly. After that, I could've asked him just what the heck he was even talking about so I'd understand why all of you are screaming "RAPERAPERAPE" when I never saw the word or topic of discussion uttered even once.

Think, you people. Think.
Uhm.... I don't really like the direction this conversation is headed...

Could we go back to anime or something?

Also, for the record, ~auto is a girl.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
On the whole topic of minority sensitivity and what not, I think our generations more aware of inequality than past generations because of sites like Tumblr and Reddit that constantly have it insight. Some people argue that we're hyperaware especially when buzzwords like "microtransgressions" has become a thing while others say that this is how it ought to be to promote change. My girlfriend is a feminist and a huge fan of Tumblr and I make fun of her for some of things that come on her feed sometimes because I do think some of it is over-the-top while other stuff is challenging to my worldview. It's interesting to say the least because we live in an age where communication is so open and it's virtually impossible to behave in a way that pleases everyone because of how much scrutiny people are under online.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I hope I'm not the only one who wants Bo-bobo to return so they can finish the damn story already.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
I didn't like Vegeta when I was younger, but now that I'm older (And now that the movie with the cat god came out) I realize Vegita is one of the more respectable characters within the series.
Vegeta in the Android/Cell arc. >__>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom