• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Anime is short for "Animation" in Japan. They didn't derive it from the French language, I can promise you that. It's just shorthand.

And let's face, regardless of whether you all try to argue and debate that, one thing remains true. Majority of people think of two distinct types of media and content when you say Cartoons vs. Anime, therefore due to details and semantics, they are basically considered different genres in the same media of animated shows.
Doesn't matter. Anime and Cartoons are pretty much the same ****ing thing. Just because some people like Japan's cartoons more doesn't make change the fact that they are cartoons. Just as much as America's, France's, and so on.

A lot actually

The cheapest I can find a 3K(which is what I'll want) is around $80.
80 bucks? Not too bad at all. That's a good price. Not too expensive. But not too questionably cheap either.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
You guys can debate all you want, but just try to give me one legitimate reason why FMAB isn't the greatest anime of all time.

You can't.
I like both versions of the series for different reasons but Brother Hood is definitely in my top 5

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Doesn't matter. Anime and Cartoons are pretty much the same ****ing thing. Just because some people like Japan's cartoons more doesn't make change the fact that they are cartoons. Just as much as America's, France's, and so on.
Yes, it does matter. You completely ignored what I said and just said whatever random thing instead. XD;

You can try to force it down people's throats that they're the same, but in the end, the majority just won't see it that way because of how differently they're made, handled and presented. They will never been looked at as exactly the same. Period.

So get over it and just look at it however you want and let others look at it how they want. This is one of the dumbest recurring debates on the internet, seriously. ¦D;

Louie G.

Smash Hero
What have I done...
But, since Anime and cartoons are the same thing...
My favorite animated programs would be Spongebob, Rocko's Modern Life, Ren and Stimpy, and Animaniacs.
Not specifically in that order.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
80 bucks? Not too bad at all. That's a good price. Not too expensive. But not too questionably cheap either.
For an unemployed college student, 80 bucks is a lot of money.

I don't like spending more than $50 for entertainment things.

I could hope for somebody to get me one as a gift, but the nearest plausible gift-giving opportunity would be Easter(yes, my parents sometimes gave me and my sister gifts for easter), and my birthday is in late November.

I'm not sure I can wait that long to play Dracula X Chronicles. >_<

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Yeah, I like both versions for what they are, but Brotherhood is definitely superior to its predecessor in every way. The only things I like about '03 are largely inconsequential (the lore behind the Homunculi, chiefly) by comparison.

Smooth Criminal

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Yes, it does matter. You completely ignored what I said and just said whatever random thing instead. XD;

You can try to force it down people's throats that they're the same, but in the end, the majority just won't see it that way because of how differently they're made, handled and presented. They will never been looked at as exactly the same. Period.

So get over it and just look at it however you want and let others look at it how they want. This is one of the dumbest recurring debates on the internet, seriously. ¦D;
I get that people will see them as different. I get that some that some people will never get past that. To be honest, I'm not even mad about that. But it doesn't change the fact, that they are indeed, the same form of media. It's animation,just in different styles with the writing done in different nations. Not to mention that both tend to cover similar genres often.

For an unemployed college student, 80 bucks is a lot of money.

I don't like spending more than $50 for entertainment things.

I could hope for somebody to get me one as a gift, but the nearest plausible gift-giving opportunity would be Easter(yes, my parents sometimes gave me and my sister gifts for easter), and my birthday is in late November.

I'm not sure I can wait that long to play Dracula X Chronicles. >_<
Ah, well, I suppose it would be a bit pricey. But you could always put aside like, 15 to 20 bucks every week or so and see where that gets you. But I might not be the best with monetary advice. :p

Last edited:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
You guys can debate all you want, but just try to give me one legitimate reason why FMAB isn't the greatest anime of all time.

You can't.
We never found out Scar's real name

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
It's animation,just in different styles with the writing done in different nations.
That's exactly what I was trying to say. Thing is, it's the writing itself that is the backbone of both animations styles and makes them so different than each other. When they mix, either get something like Panty & Stocking, Avatar, or Thundercats 2011. Panty & Stocking is an Anime, but people look at it and say Cartoon. Avatar and Thundercats 2011 are Cartoons, but people look at them and say Anime.

That's why they won't be considered the same. It's not because of where they originate. It's the style and direction of the writing and artwork.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Something's wrong with this astro boy series when Astro has a robot sister in episode 13 but she isn't actually introduced (Created) until episode 23

It possibly is Netflix's fault...?

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Do you guys ever wonder if Japanese people prefer English dubs with Japanese subtitles;
The same way American's prefer Japanese dubs with English subtitles?

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
Anime is short for "Animation" in Japan. They didn't derive it from the French language, I can promise you that. It's just shorthand.

And let's face it, regardless of whether you all try to argue and debate that, one thing remains true. Majority of people think of two distinct types of media and content when you say Cartoons vs. Anime, therefore due to details and semantics, they are basically considered different genres in the same media of animated shows.
Anime is a French lone word, like several other Japanese words like Pan(bread) and Anketo(survey). A lot of French writers/thinkers/ect. were rather popular in Japan during the Meiji period. Or at least that's what most etymologists agree on, etymology is always a hard thing to trace. Either way it really doesn't matter at all because the French word and the English word have the same root anyway.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Do you guys ever wonder if Japanese people prefer English dubs with Japanese subtitles;
Well, Japanese voice actors for cartoons are usually of a higher caliber than they use in English dubs

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I forgot about Avatar.

I liked the first set with Aang. I found it to be mixed pretty well between the stuff it had. I didn't like what they did with the show after the first trilogy seasons though. Completely ruined it imo.

Last edited:

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Every single "Final Mix" in the Kingdom Hearts series should answer your question.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Anime?

Well, aside from Pokemon, Kirby and Hamtaro (one of my favorite shows when I was younger) I've never really been a big fan of anime.

There is also the Animal Crossing movie. Haven't seen the full movie as of yet, I really should take some time to find a good dub of it and watch it.
How did I forget Kirby? I find the dubbed version of that show painful at times, but watching the original with subs is actually pretty enjoyable. Especially with the Air Ride music that the show created, like using what would become Checker Knights for Kirby's Copy Abilities.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
That's exactly what I was trying to say. Thing is, it's the writing itself that is the backbone of both animations styles and makes them so different than each other. When they mix, either get something like Panty & Stocking, Avatar, or Thundercats 2011. Panty & Stocking is an Anime, but people look at it and say Cartoon. Avatar and Thundercats 2011 are Cartoons, but people look at them and say Anime.

That's why they won't be considered the same. It's not because of where they originate. It's the style and direction of the writing and artwork.
I understand that. Still, they are slightly less different as a Sitcom and a Soap Opera. Same medium, different styles. Both are TV shows. Too bad some people are really hung up about it.

Something's wrong with this astro boy series when Astro has a robot sister in episode 13 but she isn't actually introduced (Created) until episode 23

It possibly is Netflix's fault...?
Could be Netflix. I doubt a TV show would make a mistake that bad.

I doubt it. Then again, I much rather watch the English dub, since that's the language I speak. I find a lot of the Japanese voices to be annoying. I like Vegeta's Japanese voice though, same dude that voices Captain Falcon.

Though if someone likes Subs more that's fine. But really bad dubs are rare to come across these days. If you haven't checked it out, Look at Dragon Ball Z Kai. The voices are awesome in that dub. Can't wait for the Buu Saga in coming this year.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
I prefer English Dub, and I'm American. :L

The only subbed anime I liked and watched was Highschool DxD, though in all honest I probably like DxD for a different reason altogether and it isn't available in dub. xD

Generally speaking, I just distrust subs.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
But the dub introduced us to the hilariously bad Texan accented King Dedede.
I'll admit, since I can't find the later episodes or the movie in original subbed, I get a good laugh out of that voice from time to time. :chuckle:

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
Most I've talked to prefer the Japanese dub of the English show. But none of the Japanese people I know are really what you'd call American cartoon otaku's, and I bet they exists and I bet they prefer subs.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I don't know, Latin Meta-Knight is the best thing in that series. So stereotypical. "Kirrrrrrrrby, use the Sworrrrd ability".

I forgot about Avatar.

I liked the first set with Aang. I found it to be mixed pretty well between the stuff it had. I didn't like what they did with the show after the first trilogy seasons though. Completely ruined it imo.
So you really like the Last Airbender series, but not the Legend of Korra? I do like Aang's series more. I can't explain why exactly. Maybe it's just the characters.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Unless the Dub sounds awful or the Subtitles don't use proper grammar, I just watch the version of the show I saw first.

Morbi

Scavenger
Korra was the superior series in terms of character development, plot, writing, and animation style in my opinion. Last Airbender was much more memorable with more likable characters. I am merely comparing the first seasons, not the series as a whole. Last Airbender gets much better and I have yet to actually watch Korra season 2.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Do you wish me a good evening or mean that it is a good evening whether I like it or not; or that you feel good this evening; or that it is an evening to be good on?
Easy there, Omega Shenron. Can't I just be glad to see you? ¦D

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
How did I forget Kirby? I find the dubbed version of that show painful at times, but watching the original with subs is actually pretty enjoyable. Especially with the Air Ride music that the show created, like using what would become Checker Knights for Kirby's Copy Abilities.
Most of the dub's voices don't bother me much, though that might just be because I saw episodes of the dub long before I came across the original.

I never cared for King Dedede's voice in the dub though, or the Waddle Doo's.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
There are only three things to really like about Kirby's English dub.

1. Latin Meta-Knight
2. Deep South King Dedede
3. That Jazzy and cheesey as hell Theme Song.

Ok. I'm really annoyed.

I can't find many vids of Latin Meta Knight.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Most of the dub's voices don't bother me much, though that might just be because I saw episodes of the dub long before I came across the original.

I never cared for King Dedede's voice in the dub though, or the Waddle Doo's.
I actually like Waddle Doo's voice more in the dub because of how hilariously ironic it is. :laugh:

Just for comparison sake with the low-voiced English dub.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I never really got into Avatar, it didn't interest me that much until later on.

I wanted to try watching Korra at some point, but time got ahead of me and I never got into it.

Hoots

Can Be Combative
Gotta get dat der Kah-bee, right afta I build mah gawlf cawrse!

I forgot about Avatar.

Yeah, Korra is pretty much an abomination that defiles the legacy of one of the greatest television series of all time, simply due to the hubris of its mediocre creators who took all the credit for what was actually achieved by a large team of brilliant writers.

Korra was the superior series in terms of character development, plot, writing, and animation style in my opinion. Last Airbender was much more memorable with more likable characters. I am merely comparing the first seasons, not the series as a whole. Last Airbender gets much better and I have yet to actually watch Korra season 2.
Korra was the superior series in terms of character development, plot, writing
Korra was the superior series in terms of character development
character development
There are simply no words. Actually, there are. It would just take all night to type them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom