• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I play a bit of Tekken. I also mess around in MUGEN occasionally.
I've played Marvel vs Capcom 3 at a store once and beat a couple of other guys but I didn't really like it as I was just button mashing the whole time.
I also played Mortal Kombat at a friend's place but didn't enjoy it as I just juggled openents infinitely with weak kicks from Sub Zero.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
But according to that article, Lightning Returns had the worst sales in the Lightning series

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Mainly Mortal Kombat and Soul Calibur for me (though was disappointed with SC5 for various reasons), off the top of my head. Like me a bit of Virtua Fighter, Dead or Alive (not for the sex appeal, mind you) and Killer Instinct too (before M$ happened, anyway). Then there's some of the DBZ fighters if you count those.

Yeah, Dragon Ball Z Budokai 2 and 3 are honestly among my favorite games, of all time. They are just really fun to me. But Budokai 3 was the better of the series. The characters stood out more from each other in how they fought. But Budokai 2 did have some fun extras in it. I also really like Dragon Ball Z Super Sonic Warriors on the Gameboy Advance, that game is fun too. Haven't played the second one though. Didn't get to play the Tenkaichi games yet either, hopefully I will one day. They seem pretty interesting. Somebody else mentioned Naruto fighting games, I only played a few of those. But they were fun too. Not exactly as good as the Budokai games though.

Wait....Huh? It's pretty late here where I'm at. Oh well, vacation starts for me today anyhow. :p

But according to that article, Lightning Returns had the worst sales in the Lightning series
Yeeeep. But it did outsell 3D World by a margin sooo, that's saying something.

But then again, I don't understand Japan at all. The commercials were GREAT to be honest. Much much better than the American commercials.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
People are forgetting (or simply not acknowledging) that the Wii U has barely passed 1 million units sold in Japan, so even if 3D World only sold around 100k, that's still an attach rate of 1-in-10, which honestly isn't that bad. In fact considering the install base of those other systems, comparatively it's done rather well. Obviously people who own the system are as interested in the game as they have been with every other main Mario, it's just that, like usual, the problem is Nintendo's handling of the Wii U. If hypothetically this were to have released on the Wii a few years ago, it would have sales consistent with all the other Mario console games.

I'm just wondering how much of a system seller this game will prove to be, because Nintendo's bound to be investing a lot on its success. NA sales will also be interesting when they come in, though I don't expect commercial reception too drastically different than this, though I'd love to be wrong.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I'm glad that IsmaR had a Malva avatar at one time, because now when I battle Malva I think of IsmaR.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I will now forever have a hard time picturing Charmeleon NOT in a waitress dress though.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
So I just watched the latest episode of Pokemon XY only to find Team Rocket giving me probably greatest and most random **** faces I've ever seen them give. XD

So naturally, I did the same thing any other person who spends too much time on the net would do. =D

I'm not ashamed. ¦D

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm just wondering how much of a system seller this game will prove to be, because Nintendo's bound to be investing a lot on its success. NA sales will also be interesting when they come in, though I don't expect commercial reception too drastically different than this, though I'd love to be wrong.
I was certaintly shocked with how good this game turned out to be. I remember how most people simply rolled their eyes at it during E3 or sighed a quick sigh of disappointment but apparently the game is blowing everyone out of the water with how good it is. I haven't even played the game yet and I'm sold by the soundtrack alone.

Fully orchestrated big band music? It's soooooooo good.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
What's wrong with you, why did you mess up Marth's name by capitalizing it. Do you have something against D/s relationships. Zelda can femdom just fine I'm sure. Jerk.
I do have something against it, fo serious. Any relationship that is not in a healthy balance is a degenerate relationship and should be corrected immediately. I'm all about that purity yo ;)

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Didn't pick up Mario 3D World, but I watch a run through of the game. One Song that I absolutely loved from the game was Bowser's Boss level music.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
For games of the most popular series in Japan, both Lightning Returns and Super Mario 3D World sold poorly. Games of those series usually sell more.

I think it might have to do with the decreasing popularity of home consoles in Japan, with them preferring handhelds. Of course, I'm speculating, but I wouldn't be surprised if this was the reason for the lower sales.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I was certaintly shocked with how good this game turned out to be. I remember how most people simply rolled their eyes at it during E3 or sighed a quick sigh of disappointment but apparently the game is blowing everyone out of the water with how good it is.
I still think it looks lame as hell.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Since 3D World was brought up again. I'll ask again. For those that played it and Mario 64 ow does it compare to Mario 64. You should know why I ask. :L

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Since 3D World was brought up again. I'll ask again. For those that played it and Mario 64 ow does it compare to Mario 64. You should know why I ask. :L
Best Mario game I've played since Sunshine, it's definitely a step above 64, though the gameplay is rather different and I do miss the more open "collect stars in whatever order" formula. Probably my favorite 3D Mario game now, maybe even my second favorite overall after SMW. I still haven't played through all of the special worlds though, so it's still got quite a bit to throw at me. And as people have been stating before, the music is eargasmic.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
I still think it looks lame as hell.

I think we can all agree that this is an opinion. Which is all fine and good and I can respect that.

Though, saying things like this:

Babby's First Platforming Game with highly uninspiring gameplay.
You might as well explain what you mean. Oniric did ask you why after all.

It would be interesting to see why you feel this way.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I'm glad that IsmaR had a Malva avatar at one time, because now when I battle Malva I think of IsmaR.
I was like that when it came to battling Malva long before you posted this.

Happy thanksgiving and stuff everyone, even though it's another holiday I've never cared that much for.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I've never cared much for gravy personally. Still I enjoy the mashed potatoes.

The cranberry sauce is good stuff I tell you....

And I can never get enough of the turkey.

3D World looks like a load of fun to me.

I prefer the DS remake of Super Mario 64 because of the additional content.

Super Mario Sunshine is fun, but those secret levels...........urgh, the rage........

And I love both Galaxy games. True masterpieces in my opinion.

Post attempts: 3

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
On the topic of N64 fighters, was Fighter's Destiny one of the ones you played too?
I own both. Very fun games. I'll be honest, Street Fighter is one of the most boring series to me compared to most Fighters.

The gameplay isn't bad, of course(it's amazing), but the characters for the most part just scream "eh" to me. I'm a big fan of noteworthy characters. It does not help that there's too many similar gameplay clones in the series, even outweighing SSB.(note, I mean ones you can play as normally, not clones in general)

As for Armageddon, I liked the Wii version the best. The controls were amazing. It only lacked online play, but beyond that, best version, IMO. Character creation was extremely well-made, too.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
For games of the most popular series in Japan, both Lightning Returns and Super Mario 3D World sold poorly. Games of those series usually sell more.

I think it might have to do with the decreasing popularity of home consoles in Japan, with them preferring handhelds. Of course, I'm speculating, but I wouldn't be surprised if this was the reason for the lower sales.
The fuq? That's real surprising.

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace

Come on, it's Mario, you were expecting more?
Uninspiring gameplay? Wtf? Mario games (the 3D ones) usually have one of the best gameplay mechanics compared with any game out there, level design is usually pretty great and never dissapoints, the only thing Mario titles lack is of an epic story.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
The fuq? That's real surprising.
These are the numbers of copies sold on their launch week:
[PS3] Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (Square Enix. 11/21/13) - 277.082
[Wii U] Super Mario 3D World (Nintendo. 11/21/13) - 99.588

The numbers are incredibly low, especially considering the franchises they belong.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Blame the criticisms both franchises have been getting lately.

Protip: Releasing New Super Mario Bros. 2 and New Super Mario Bros. U within months hurts more then helps, and it's probably going to haunt the series for a while.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Nintendo (more importantly Iwata) need a slap in the face from good old reality.

Kamikazek

Smash Lord

*Spits out drink*
Highly uninspiring?! Man I don't even like Mario games, but if I were to compose a list of every complaint I could possibly think to give to a videogame, uninspiring gameplay is very close to the last one I would give to a 3D Mario platformer. Inspiration is like the backbone of those games. That's like if someone said Final Fantasy was a bad series because the games are too short.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light

*looks at the 3D Sonic games.*

Then I guess the modern Sonic games are nothing but a failed attempt at reviving a platforming franchise that's widely regarded as mediocre in that particular genre. Not to mention shoddily executed from a design standpoint, to the point where fans have to clean up the mess that the original developers made of those games. If we're going to talk about opinions/feelings overall, of course.

:troll:

(Not that the latter point about mods is a strong one, anyway.)

Smooth Criminal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom