• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Typhl0si0n

Smash Apprentice
It's still a good game, don't take me wrong. But with each diamond- a flaw, you know? But it's a minor one. Nothing to ***** about too much.

Seens that I'm here... where the heck is TM dark pulse in Pokemon X?

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
So, anyone here wanna talk items with me? Been thinking a lot more about them lately having completed some research on "Smash PR" and needing more reading to do. Do any of you think items might get a fair shot this time around especially with how many newer/casual players the 3DS might bring?

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
So, anyone here wanna talk items with me? Been thinking a lot more about them lately having completed some research on "Smash PR" and needing more reading to do. Do any of you think items might get a fair shot this time around especially with how many newer/casual players the 3DS might bring?
I hope we get more interesting items this time. Apart from the Assist Trophies which are simply Poké Balls on steroids Brawl didn't have much new interesting mechanics. Also, 90% of the items work too much launching them. The sword, the bat, even the ****ing pistols are more effective if you just throw them in people's face. That's gotta change.

As much as my ideas, I thought about the MegaRing and made a topic about it, and I think it would be a pretty cool idea. Also I hope the Powerglove makes an appearance, and even the Nintendo Hand from the '80s (or '70s?) which grants an instant grab even from a distance.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
So IsmaR and I just had a battle.

Considering I put my team together out of nowhere, I think I did well.

I also have this feeling that, had I used Acrobatics on Magnezone instead of Mega Drain, I would've avoided Thunderbolt damage, enabling me to deal with Trevenant a little better, if not longer at least.

I also got lucky against Gliscor with my Mega Pinsir.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
The others, like Garchomp, Charizard, etc. I can understand your point, though.
...Huh?

I've seen those guys used in wi-fi battles from people like shofu to great success.

Really, a majority of mega evolutions are actually pretty good...but the real problem comes in only having one. Usually if you go competitive, you play to win, meaning if you come into a sitiution when you must chose one pokemon over another, you have to choose the best one.

A good example is Mega Gardevoir. Mega Gardevoir is really good and can get a powerful fairy hyper voice...but why use it over mega kangaskhan?

With that said Mega evolution is not a bad concept and was not executed poorly. All it needs it time to grow and for Game Freak to decide their next move on it.

Man, every time I see someone mention how Pokemon is unbalanced I struggle to understand the complaint when they are playing a game that is made to be unbalanced on purpose.

You're half correct. Yes, it has a tier system where you have to use pokemon of that tier is what is used, not all pokemon can be "OU," but you learn to get use to it and just use the pokemon in those tiers that you like.

If, by any chance you mean, "Game freak doesn't care if they make the game fun or not competitively."
Then you're wrong.

With no more permanent weather, a nerf to stealth rocks with defog, and fairy types, gamefreak is at least trying to make the game more welcoming to competetive players. That is, of course, if that is what you meant instead.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Yeah, he's been getting some exposure since Brawl thanks to games like Captain Rainbow, Samurai Warriors 3, and (unintentionally) Nintendo Land. I just hope Sakurai makes his character more interesting and less boring than his Samurai Warriors 3 portrayal.
The problem with the Samurai Warriors 3 incarnation as a whole is the character is very simplistic. His moveset is basically a buffed version of the Edit Character, with an Special Attack and Ultimate Musou added. His character is also a very straight forward heroic character, with the only notable characteristic is that he admires strong women.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Anyone a fan of other fighting game series? I always liked Tekken and Mortal Kombat, I like the Soul Calibur series too. In fact Tekken 3 was the first game I ever played. Because I got into Tekken, I played Soul Calibur 2. But I do wish to get more familiar with Street Fighter someday, I've only played a couple of the games, and even then, I don't own them anymore.

κomıc

Highly Offensive
NNID
komicturtle
If you remove the R from Tetra, it spells Teta. Which means breast in spanish.

I love Soul Calibur. I might get Tekken Tag Tournament 2 on Wii U. It's cheap now.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I love games like SF and MvC (1 and 2, not really a fan of 3). Though, now that i no longer have a PS3, ive resulted to spectating more than playing.

I did play that soul calibur game on the gamecube with Link. I also love Injustice.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I also did only own Soul Calibur 2 for GameCube. Bought it cause of Link to. You'd be surprised how many attacks he mainly used in Smash are in Link's moveset there.

Actually, I could still beat guys who actually owned the later installments of Soul Calibur whenever I played it. Same with Tekken, and I beat even diehard fans of the series. With Wang nontheless. :laugh: Love that old dude.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Fan of Soul Calibur. I'm only missing Soul Calibur V so far. Played and own the rest.(the only re-release I have is Soul Calibur: Broken Destiny.

I got nearly every Mortal Kombat game, but no re-releases as well as the original.(unless you include the original Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3. I never got the updated version of Deception, and I truly never plan to. Armageddon gives me all I need~)

Of course, I own all the SSB games. I have a lot of N64 Fighting games, including niche ones like Flying Dragon and Dark Rift. Man, the N64 had a lot, and they were honestly pretty fun~

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I don't like Mortal Kombat too much cause most characters have a similar moveset. And if there's any differences, it are annoying ones like Scorpion's 'GET OVAR HEIR!' or that Ice Dude's icey stuff.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
I don't like Mortal Kombat too much cause most characters have a similar moveset. And if there's any differences, it are annoying ones like Scorpion's 'GET OVAR HEIR!' or that Ice Dude's icey stuff.

This is extremely late, but congratulations on your baby boy!

As a question to all of you, if they introduce a new mechanic this time around (such as the Final Smashes in Brawl, dodging & new moves in Melee, etc.)?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Man you're not late, and if so, better late than never. ;) Thanks man.

As for new mechanics, well... I always liked 'semi-Smashes' or 'strong tilts'. A sort of inbetween attacks between regular A moves and Smashes. Think that right now that's pretty much out of the question, but still... Would've loved to see that happening.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Well, due to the fact you can charge Smashes(since Melee), you do technically have an inbetween move just like that.

But I wouldn't mind if perhaps X or Y gave you more moveset options.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211

As for new mechanics, well... I always liked 'semi-Smashes' or 'strong tilts'. A sort of inbetween attacks between regular A moves and Smashes. Think that right now that's pretty much out of the question, but still... Would've loved to see that happening.

That'd be cool, possibly the attack changes depending on the charge of the Smash Attack. For instance, let's take Luigi's F-Smash jab. If not charged long enough, it's a normal jab. But when fully charged, it releases a blast of electricity alongside the jab. Also, it'd make actually charging the Smash Attack a better option instead of just using the "C-Stick" function. It'd be pretty cool to see that, but it looks like it won't happen this time.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
As a question to all of you, if they introduce a new mechanic this time around (such as the Final Smashes in Brawl, dodging & new moves in Melee, etc.)?
I have always wanted grab breaking/grab teching/ whatever you call it.
Basically when 2 players initiate a grab, they do an animation similar to when two players clash.

It really would help out against issues like chain-grabbing, because the grabee could mash the grab move to stop the chaining.

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]

(wow how did I not notice this?) Congratz on the boy dude! I know you must be a proud papa. :D

I like this idea as well, I wish we had like air dashing or air grabbing or something, but it'll probably never be implemented since smash is supposed to be simplistic.

Also for those of you that don't know, I also play KOF, Mvc, Guilty gear, SC, SF, and a bit of DOA (and its not "cause the jiggle psychics", lol its just cause I like the fighting genre).

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I haven't played other fighting games.

Any recommendations for a beginner?
What type of games do you normally play as is? Specific games, as in the exact game, not just the series. That'll help determine what would be best to start off with.

Although I do think Flying Dragon is a really easy to play game, although some of the Mortal Kombats can be easy, like Armageddon, but that's due to various in-game cheats like auto-combo or not being as intricate. Sonic Battle is similar to SSB in simplicity, but can be kind of hard at times. I find it a really easy game to get into outside of Single Player.(which is required to unlock everyone, outside of using out-of-game codes, of course)

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
What type of games do you normally play as is? Specific games, as in the exact game, not just the series. That'll help determine what would be best to start off with.

Although I do think Flying Dragon is a really easy to play game, although some of the Mortal Kombats can be easy, like Armageddon, but that's due to various in-game cheats like auto-combo or not being as intricate. Sonic Battle is similar to SSB in simplicity, but can be kind of hard at times. I find it a really easy game to get into outside of Single Player.(which is required to unlock everyone, outside of using out-of-game codes, of course)

Just any games?

Well ok.

Here are my favorites:
Kid Icarus: Uprising
Pokemon Emerald
Pokemon White
Pokemon X
All the Phoenix Wright Games. (Do you really want me to type them all out?)
Super Mario Sunshine
Super Mario Galaxy
Sonic Advance 1-3
Billy Hatcher
Mario and Luigi SuperStar Saga
Mario and Luigi Bowser inside Story
Fire Emblem Awakening
Sonic and Sega/All Stars Racing (Transformed)
Pikmin 2
Cave Story

There might be some games I'm just blanking out on right now, but does this help?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Sonic Advance 1-3
Yep. These are the notable ones. How good are you at timing with buttons and doing combos? Technique-based fighting games(Soul Calibur, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat) are perfect for you. But that depends if you're good at things like Bros. Attacks. If not, go with Sonic Battle. Otherwise, just about any other Fighting game will work.

What systems(console, handheld) do you own?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
My DKC / platformer skills helped me a lot in Mortal Kombat though. My friends where just amazed how moderately easy I could jump over their hooks and ice blasts.

Got this battle to thank mostly:

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Just any games?

Well ok.

Here are my favorites:
Kid Icarus: Uprising
Pokemon Emerald
Pokemon White
Pokemon X
All the Phoenix Wright Games. (Do you really want me to type them all out?)
Super Mario Sunshine
Super Mario Galaxy
Sonic Advance 1-3
Billy Hatcher
Fire Emblem Awakening
Sonic and Sega/All Stars Racing (Transformed)
Pikmin 2
Cave Story

There might be some games I'm just blanking out on right now, but does this help?

Heck yeah! Cave Story's awesome! If you like Cave Story, I recommend trying out the Metroid series, from what I've seen of it.

Also, I need an opinion myself. I'm trying to find some new games to try out, because I'm getting bored of NSMBU and Lost World. I've got a DS, GBA SP, Wii and Wii U, and my favorite games are:

All 3 Smash Bros. games (duh)
Super Mario Galaxy
Zelda: Skyward Sword
Donkey Kong Country 3
Zelda: Wind Waker
Kirby Super Star
Kirby's Dream Land 3
Cave Story
Wario Land II
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (and 3, and Knuckles, and CD)
New Super Luigi U
Mega Man 2
Epic Mickey
Super Paper Mario
Wario Land: Shake It!!
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
Super Mario Bros. 3
Mother 3
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
Mario Strikers Charged

Any ideas for me?

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Before there was Cloudberry Kingdom there was King K. Rool's boss fights.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Was that game any good, by the way?

If I would give it a score, I would say 6/10.

It has a lot of Great moments, with a lot of creative designs, and fun exploration.

At the same time, the controls can be awkward at certain times, and there are puzzles that, while easy to figure out, are a pain to actually execute.

Yeah, it's a good game, but if you plan on ever picking it up, just prepare to be frustrated at certain points.
Yep. These are the notable ones. How good are you at timing with buttons and doing combos? Technique-based fighting games(Soul Calibur, Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat) are perfect for you. But that depends if you're good at things like Bros. Attacks. If not, go with Sonic Battle. Otherwise, just about any other Fighting game will work.

What systems(console, handheld) do you own?
I am good with the bros attack. I have a nice reaction time and a sense of rhythm

As for the consoles and handhelds. You could probably tell most from the list but:

N64
Gamecube
Wii
Wii U
Gameboy Advance(I don't have an actual working Gameboy Advance, but I do have the gameboy to gamecube disc.)
DS
3DS
A sorta broken PS1

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

It has a lot of Great moments, with a lot of creative designs, and fun exploration.

At the same time, the controls can be awkward at certain times, and there are puzzles that, while easy to figure out, are a pain to actually execute.

Yeah, it's a good game, but if you plan on ever picking it up, just prepare to be frustrated at certain points.

I am good with the bros attack. I have a nice reaction time and a sense of rhythm

As for the consoles and handhelds. You could probably tell most from the list but:

N64
Gamecube
Wii
Wii U
Gameboy Advance(I don't have an actual working Gameboy Advance, but I do have the gameboy to gamecube disc.)
DS
3DS
A sorta broken PS1
Remember those games I mentioned earlier? Outside of the Soul Calibur ones(except Soul Calibur II for the GameCube), get the rest. Sonic Battle is awesome. Mortal Kombat Armageddon is imo, fun, but so is Deception and Deadly Alliance. Mortal Kombat Trilogy is best on the PS1. Mortal Kombat 4 is an amazing game for the N64. To a lesser degree, so is War Gods(it was actually created by Midway to test the MK4 engine. They both are pretty good, imo). Then there's Flying Dragon if you like RPG Elements(item collecting and leveling up), Fighter's Destiny for more 3D type fighters is a plus.

For beginning, I recommend Mortal Kombat Armageddon for the Wii U(but not the actual Campaign Mode. It's overly difficult). However, Deception is a bit better and has a more balanced Campaign Mode if you so desire(GameCube). There's also Sonic Gems Collection for the GameCube if you want to play Sonic The Fighters, which is a 3D fighting game. If only you had an SNES, since they have some nice options. You can also look for Arcade-type Collections for earlier Mortal Kombat games(1, 2, 3, Ultimate 3). While I have not played Ultimate Mortal Kombat(a DS game, I think), it wasn't very popular due to glitches or something like that. Also, never look for Mortal Kombat Gold. It's an "update" to Mortal Kombat 4 for the Dreamcast, but was extremely glitchy and had serious problems. To put it in perspective of how bad it was; Sonic 2006 was wayyyyyyyyyyy more playable.(not to mention beatable with everyone)

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Sonic Battle.
So much love. So much.

I see. I've never heard anything too good or too bad about it, so I was curious. o_o

Maybe I'll give it a try one day. I don't think I've played anything by Sega that wasn't Sonic before.

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
Also, I need an opinion myself. I'm trying to find some new games to try out, because I'm getting bored of NSMBU and Lost World. I've got a DS, GBA SP, Wii and Wii U, and my favorite games are:

Super Mario Galaxy
Donkey Kong Country 3
Kirby Super Star
Kirby's Dream Land 3
Cave Story
Wario Land II
New Super Luigi U
Mega Man 2
Epic Mickey
Super Paper Mario
Super Mario Bros. 3
Mother 3
Mario Strikers Charged

Any ideas for me?

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Heck yeah! Cave Story's awesome! If you like Cave Story, I recommend trying out the Metroid series, from what I've seen of it.

Super Mario Galaxy
Donkey Kong Country 3
Kirby Super Star
Kirby's Dream Land 3
Cave Story
Wario Land II
New Super Luigi U
Mega Man 2
Epic Mickey
Super Paper Mario
Super Mario Bros. 3
Mother 3
Mario Strikers Charged

Any ideas for me?
Based off of your list i would recommend these games if you haven't already played them.
Paper Mario 64
Paper Mario Thousand Year Door
Banjo-Kazooie
Banjo-Tooie
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Mighty Switch Force

APC99

Smash Master
NNID
APC-99
3DS FC
3840-8265-8211
APC99, what systems do you own and what genre are you looking for? I need more information than that.

I've got a Game Boy Advance SP, A DS, A Wii (needs fixing) and a Wii U. I'm looking for platforming or an RPG that isn't overly expensive like Xenoblade Chronicles.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
If you own a PS3 I would highly recommend games like Sly Cooper and Ratchet & Clank games.
They are both very good platfromers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom