• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Also, Nintendo dropped another bombshell today that only a few people noticed. Kirby: Triple Deluxe is coming out soon and by "soon" I mean January! Who saw that coming?

http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=217049

I guess we know who one of our January character reveals will probably be then.
You thought I was going to say Metaknight/Dedede? Too bad, Waluigi Time!

Aduross

Smash Apprentice
Wow, the stage is even prettier than I imagined! Really curious how it'll play. I wonder if it's stationary or if the planet slowly rotates?

Also lookin' forward to the music!

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412

The banner for Marth is also down, which makes a character next week a bigger possibility.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Cool course. I don't think the gravity will be that effective in gameplay, though. Unless it only affects jump, but not projectiles(which are a programming nightmare if they have any changed properties on this course). Likewise, it's best if you couldn't move entirely around the course, since it would mean that KO'ing someone is a serious pain in the butt. If the entire course is spherical(and not a Walk-Off or has no actual Edges), a person has to be hit entirely upwards the entire time and can't be KO'd other ways.

Let's just say that figuring out how to program is a headache and leave it at that. If any of this is hard for someone to think about, just ignore any ideal mechanics the course could have and move on.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I think the gravity will affect projectiles. Notice that Samus is on the right side, standing diagonally... And she shot a Charge Shot at Mario.... Notice that Mario is on the top side, standing upright... And he hit the Charge Shot with his Cape.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I think the gravity will affect projectiles. Notice that Samus is on the right side, standing diagonally... And she shot a Charge Shot at Mario.... Notice that Mario is on the top side, standing upright... And he hit the Charge Shot with his Cape.
It's hard to say how it is. It might travel along the path as if the course was actually flat. So it's not the gravity, but the shape of the course influencing it.

Note how I said it was hard to explain. You'd need pictures for that.

Either way, it won't be easy to program, but it'll be really fun to play, tourney or otherwise.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Let's just say that figuring out how to program is a headache and leave it at that. If any of this is hard for someone to think about, just ignore any ideal mechanics the course could have and move on.
Don't get me started on this.

My guess is that the gravity simply allows for everything to run along the stage. In other words, I think a lot of this is actually an illusion. I honestly cannot tell you whether or not this stage will be tournament legal, but it definitely looks like a fun and bedazzling stage.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Don't get me started on this.

My guess is that the gravity simply allows for everything to run along the stage. In other words, I think a lot of this is actually an illusion. I honestly cannot tell you whether or not this stage will be tournament legal, but it definitely looks like a fun and bedazzling stage.
You should read the rest of that post. It means that those who can't handle it or can't wrap their head around it should avoid the programming discussion. Of course you shouldn't, since this is your forte. :)

-Pets-

And yeah, this is going to be really cool for a stage. I'll especially enjoy it in Single Player, since it looks like the least derpy stage of the Mario series since Melee(Peach's Castle had no derp at all). I'll be honest, I found all of the Mario stages in Brawl pretty derpy and not that great to fight on. They're cool stages, mind you.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
You should read the rest of that post. It means that those who can't handle it or can't wrap their head around it should avoid the programming discussion. Of course you shouldn't, since this is your forte. :)

-Pets-

And yeah, this is going to be really cool for a stage. I'll especially enjoy it in Single Player, since it looks like the least derpy stage of the Mario series since Melee(Peach's Castle had no derp at all). I'll be honest, I found all of the Mario stages in Brawl pretty derpy and not that great to fight on. They're cool stages, mind you.
Not sure how you can call it my forte considering I have mini heart attacks when I even so much think out code in my head.

I thought Isle Delfino was pretty fine save for the portion with the pillars. If we get more stages like Galaxy, I'd be perfectly fine as while it looks like it changes things up for how you approach playing the game, it doesn't look to be overly intrusive.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
What about the Banzai Bill?
Ten times less derpy than a giant moving stage that's easy to die on. Like any long moving stage. Mario Kart had the Karts. I shouldn't have to explain the other Mushroom Kingdoms.

Peach's Castle(64, Melee) is mostly non-derp. Mushroom Kingdom(64) had too much crap going on. Mushroom Kingdom 1 wasn't terribly better, but the blocks made it really hard to KO.(walk off is also bad by default) Mushroom Kingdom II is slightly less, but a lot of guys can hit you, and it messes with Ness' recovery horribly. Much like Saffron City and Fourside(ironically his own course) did.

I mean for all overall characters. Peach's Castle(both versions) were pretty easy to fight on. Rainbow Ride benefits those with really good recoveries a bit too much. It's like Mushroom Kingdom I, not terribly derpy, but still has it. Mario Kart is this as well. Mushroomy Kingdom is just terrible for tourneys. It moves too much, has too many walls, and can cause random KO's as well as having the Walk-off problem.

I'm not counting the actual stage named Mario Bros. in this, but that one is obviously full of derp.

This may or may not be. It might have lots of background attacks with the Airship, or rarely at all. Much like Peach's Castle(Melee), which I find a pretty balanced course of Hazard VS Non-Hazard.

Not sure how you can call it my forte considering I have mini heart attacks when I even so much think out code in my head.

I thought Isle Delfino was pretty fine save for the portion with the pillars. If we get more stages like Galaxy, I'd be perfectly fine as while it looks like it changes things up for how you approach playing the game, it doesn't look to be overly intrusive.
I consider moving stages pretty derpy by default. But I get what you mean. It's not BAD, persay. But not my cup of tea when it comes to an actual lack of derp.

Also, you're a cat. That means you're good at thinking by default. :3

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I consider moving stages pretty derpy by default. But I get what you mean. It's not BAD, persay. But not my cup of tea when it comes to an actual lack of derp.

To me, derp is when you have things like the Wario Ware minigames or everything about Mario Bros. and 75m. Isle Delfino is more about adaptation than derp in my book.

Actually, my thinking's a tad nontraditional. Too many details freak me out. I'd honestly say my special skill is the ability to adapt.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
To me, derp is when you have things like the Wario Ware minigames or everything about Mario Bros. and 75m. Isle Delfino is more about adaptation than derp in my book.

Actually, my thinking's a tad nontraditional. Too many details freak me out. I'd honestly say my special skill is the ability to adapt.
Right. Hence why I made it clear that's how I view it as derp. And I get your point too. Fairly understandable.

I tend to not like to adapt to a course when it comes to moving around often if it hampers my ability to win. A static course or one where only a few platforms rise(Peach's Castle Melee, Fountain of Dreams) can be easier to fight on. The single Banzai Bill doesn't seriously hamper most gameplay in the long run, where as avoiding damage on Mario Kart can be a bit of a more difficult task, same with Port Town Aero Drive and Mute City.

But to each their own, respectively. I like details, to a degree. Sometimes complicated stuff goes right over my head, sometimes it's super easy for me to work with. It's hard to say. XD

And I always got the impression you were great with complicated ideas. My bad.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero

I went to sleep early, so I didn't see this until I woke up around 6 am.
Awesome!

A lot of people had ideas for a Galaxy stage that had the gravity pull going around a planetoid, and this comes pretty close. I don't think you'll be able to fight underneath it, though, as it looks too big.

I assume Bowser's airship in the background will cause come trouble during the fight.
And what will Starship Mario do? Will it just be a background element?
Will the Comet Observatory show up?

They even put in the "rim lighting" effect from the original games.

Also, why is Pikachu in the second pic instead of Luigi? Poor Luigi.

-----

"Shion"

Smash Ace
NNID
Shion_Sensei

That's where youre mistaken, little raging boy.

It WILL be overly intrusive.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Right. Hence why I made it clear that's how I view it as derp. And I get your point too. Fairly understandable.

I tend to not like to adapt to a course when it comes to moving around often if it hampers my ability to win. A static course or one where only a few platforms rise(Peach's Castle Melee, Fountain of Dreams) can be easier to fight on. The single Banzai Bill doesn't seriously hamper most gameplay in the long run, where as avoiding damage on Mario Kart can be a bit of a more difficult task, same with Port Town Aero Drive and Mute City.
I personally prefer stages changing shape than to have something like stage hazards. I think it adds an element of strategy for when you want to be in a favorable spot.

But to each their own, respectively. I like details, to a degree. Sometimes complicated stuff goes right over my head, sometimes it's super easy for me to work with. It's hard to say. XD

And I always got the impression you were great with complicated ideas. My bad.
Well, it's like this. I'm great when it comes to the great picture. From my understanding, most people are details > big picture > details, but I work in big picture > details > big picture. This is why when I present ideas, I start with the big picture and then the details - English classes probably helped refine that. Or, I may reference something to get my point across instead of going into specifics.

For me, if you give me too many details at once, it becomes very difficult for me to process things and I'm turned off by it. This is why I usually find the advice of "Play the game." to be more endearing for people learning a game than to get them in all the fundamentals. When I'd teach people Tekken on occasion, I tell them to just have fun with it. Any tactical stuff would just come about when it presents itself.

The more I think about it. This ability to adapt is my "gift" of sorts. My dad always thought it was music saying I had an ear for it. Rather, it appears I can just catch onto rhythms and learn from there. So maybe he was onto something, but his details > big picture > details way of thinking missed the mark.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I personally prefer stages changing shape than to have something like stage hazards. I think it adds an element of strategy for when you want to be in a favorable spot.
It's probably my playstyle. I'm bad at strategy, but I can handle stuff that comes my way better. I prefer turn-based rpg's, but am bad at Strategy RPG's. Makes sense.

Well, it's like this. I'm great when it comes to the great picture. From my understanding, most people are details > big picture > details, but I work in big picture > details > big picture. This is why when I present ideas, I start with the big picture and then the details - English classes probably helped refine that. Or, I may reference something to get my point across instead of going into specifics.

For me, if you give me too many details at once, it becomes very difficult for me to process things and I'm turned off by it. This is why I usually find the advice of "Play the game." to be more endearing for people learning a game than to get them in all the fundamentals. When I'd teach people Tekken on occasion, I tell them to just have fun with it. Any tactical stuff would just come about when it presents itself.

The more I think about it. This ability to adapt is my "gift" of sorts. My dad always thought it was music saying I had an ear for it. Rather, it appears I can just catch onto rhythms and learn from there. So maybe he was onto something, but his details > big picture > details way of thinking missed the mark.
Also makes sense. Yeah, the details have to be carefully looked over. I have a bit of trouble suddenly looking at a ton. I have a weaker mind than most in that regard. I'm terrible at studying. >_<

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm not very detail-oriented either, that's why I suck at fighting games lol
Depends the game you try.

Some combos are kind of easy. Dancing Blade(Melee) is the highest some go. It's not super easy, but isn't hyper hard compared to many other ones in fighters. Soul Calibur is a particular offender, and Mortal Kombat(in later games, specifically) go off the charts sometimes. Flying Dragon also gets overly difficult. I've seen Street Fighter and other Capcom fighers go back and fourth in combo difficulty. Depends the game or combo. Sometimes pretty easy, sometimes super hard.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I'm not very detail-oriented either, that's why I suck at fighting games lol
That's most an approach thing. You just gotta figure out how to approach the game and what playstyle suits you. I've started to be a move defensive and movement heavy player while capitalizing on whiffs.

Depends the game you try.

Some combos are kind of easy. Dancing Blade(Melee) is the highest some go. It's not super easy, but isn't hyper hard compared to many other ones in fighters. Soul Calibur is a particular offender, and Mortal Kombat(in later games, specifically) go off the charts sometimes. Flying Dragon also gets overly difficult. I've seen Street Fighter and other Capcom fighers go back and fourth in combo difficulty. Depends the game or combo. Sometimes pretty easy, sometimes super hard.
This is actually why the breaking down combos is usually the best approach when learning your combos. Take a look at this one Xiaoyu BnB:

d/f+2~1, D/F+1, ff+2, ff+1+2,1+2, f+2, f+3,1,1+2.

Assuming you know the notation here, this is a fairly intimidating combo, but breaking it down like this makes it easier to learn.

d/f+2~1, D/F+1, ff+2, ff+1+2,1+2, f+2, f+3,1,1+2.
Here, it's broken down in Launcher, Combo Filler, Bound, Post-Bound. Once you see that combos in a game like Tekken work this way, it becomes much easier to process. Of course, some games don't have it as easy in terms of combos.

Other times, the combo difficulty simply has to do with stupid timings and not the length of them. One major criticism of Street Fighter 4 is that the vast, vast majority of combos area bunch of links that are almost impossible to see which just makes the game super boring to learn.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, Kuma. That all went over my head. But I don't know the terminology whatsoever. Still interesting, technically(heh) speaking.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Basically, I broke down the combo into four main components that make it easier to swallow. I'll explain the terms.

Launcher - Move that launches the character in the air, starting a juggle.
Combo Filler - This one's more broad, but this is generally the stuff that adds damage to your combo.
Bound - This is a state of ground bounce. Certain moves trigger this state, especially on juggled opponents.
Post-Bound - When the opponent is ground bounced, you can follow it up with a short combo or attack.

Another way to look at it is parts A,B, C, and D.

A Link is when you connect two moves in a combo that otherwise have no way of canceling into each other ala dial a combo. Juggles are predominantly link based, but juggle links are generally different than a ground link where you have to try harder to get a feel for the timing.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Ten times less derpy than a giant moving stage that's easy to die on. Like any long moving stage. Mario Kart had the Karts. I shouldn't have to explain the other Mushroom Kingdoms.

Peach's Castle(64, Melee) is mostly non-derp. Mushroom Kingdom(64) had too much crap going on. Mushroom Kingdom 1 wasn't terribly better, but the blocks made it really hard to KO.(walk off is also bad by default) Mushroom Kingdom II is slightly less, but a lot of guys can hit you, and it messes with Ness' recovery horribly. Much like Saffron City and Fourside(ironically his own course) did.

I mean for all overall characters. Peach's Castle(both versions) were pretty easy to fight on. Rainbow Ride benefits those with really good recoveries a bit too much. It's like Mushroom Kingdom I, not terribly derpy, but still has it. Mario Kart is this as well. Mushroomy Kingdom is just terrible for tourneys. It moves too much, has too many walls, and can cause random KO's as well as having the Walk-off problem.

I'm not counting the actual stage named Mario Bros. in this, but that one is obviously full of derp.

This may or may not be. It might have lots of background attacks with the Airship, or rarely at all. Much like Peach's Castle(Melee), which I find a pretty balanced course of Hazard VS Non-Hazard.

What about Delfino Plaza? That's a Mario stage you know and is considered competitively viable, unlike Peach's Castle. You just seem to forgot about Deflino when you posted this. :C

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
It must have been a real ***** to code the gravity physics for this Mario Galaxy stage while still playing like a Smash Bros. game. But yeah, I too am curious on its competitive status.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
What about Delfino Plaza? That's a Mario stage you know and is considered competitively viable, unlike Peach's Castle. You just seem to forgot about Deflino when you posted this. :C
Not really. I consider it more derpy than Peach's Castle overall. That movement isn't to my liking. But to each their own, respectively.

@KumaOso: I didn't mean to post those. It just went over my head. But thank you for the information.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
SMG stage? Nifty. Looks like it'll be fun.

Do you think it'll be due to a upcoming game, or to coincide with the SMG stage?
Up coming game is my guess. More specifically, A Link Between Worlds.
I think we are either gonna get :ganondorf: or :zelda:

QUESTION: Do you guys think this will be a scrolling stage?

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Heh. Before the game's reveal, I always imagined about a circular stage that has its gravity on it's core. Though not necesarily as a Galaxy stage.

...I was thinking more along the lines of Distortion World....
I JUST ****ING LOVE PLATINUM SO MUCH...

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Also, Nintendo dropped another bombshell today that only a few people noticed. Kirby: Triple Deluxe is coming out soon and by "soon" I mean January! Who saw that coming?

http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=217049

I guess we know who one of our January character reveals will probably be then.
You thought I was going to say Metaknight/Dedede? Too bad, Waluigi Time!
LOL, like someone commented...

Kirby has Angry eyes in the Japanese box art!

If Kirby is angry in the Japanese version, imagine how angry he'll be in the American art

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom