• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
First of all...
5000 POSTS!

All right. So we can play as Male Wii Fit Trainer, huh? Well, about time we got something new, right? They make a nice couple: Miss and Mister Fit. :laugh:

Also, happy birthday, HyperFalcon.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well interesting to see that we can play as both Miss Fit and MissTER Fit. :p

Here's hoping we see some more alts as well. Perhaps a female alt for Villager and maybe some alternate costumes for other characters like what they did for Wario in Brawl. Outset Toon Link and Dr. Mario alts would be pretty sweet.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Dr. Mario alts. That was a good one. He was made a clone because Sakurai believed him to be different enough from Mario to warrant his own slot. So no, don't expect it.

Now, female Villager and a female version of Pokemon Trainer... that's realistic.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Dr. Mario alts. That was a good one. He was made a clone because Sakurai believed him to be different enough from Mario to warrant his own slot. So no, don't expect it.

Now, female Villager and a female version of Pokemon Trainer... that's realistic.
Agreed.
If Dr. Mario wasn't made into his own character in Melee, then I'd be for the idea of him as a costume.

----
I know, you guys are probably gonna say something like "well, if there was a $h!t-colored Mario that took up a roster slot and was exactly the same as regular Mario other than the color, would you still want that to be an individual character? lolol", but that's my silly logic, and I'm sticking to it.

-----

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Villager and Pokémon Trainer could receive the same treatment by having female versions. (Hey, more females, right? :troll:)

Sakurai possibly decided to expand the idea of alternate costumes since Wario in Brawl. I could see Dr. Mario getting in as a costume...

I don't know, but this picture brought some hype for the game, not because of male WFT, but how this idea could be expanded into other characters. (Dry Bowser or female Pikachu)

Meanwhile, on Miiverse...

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Agreed.
If Dr. Mario wasn't made into his own character in Melee, then I'd be for the idea of him as a costume.

----
I know, you guys are probably gonna say something like "well, if there was a $h!t-colored Mario that took up a roster slot and was exactly the same as regular Mario other the color, would you still want that to be an individual character? lolol", but that's my silly logic, and I'm sticking to it.

-----
This guy gets it. Dr. Mario was from a well known and popular series and was seen important enough for his own slot, but still enough as Mario to not have his own moveset.(well, Mega Vitamins were a given)

Villager and Pokémon Trainer could receive the same treatment by having female versions. (Hey, more females, right? :troll:)
Yes.

I could see Dr. Mario getting in as a costume...
Keep dreaming. Too important and unique for that. As of Sakurai's own reasoning.

It's his own slot, or his own full playable character, possibly choosable similar to how Zelda/Sheik is(minus the ability to transform into each other), or not at all. At least, according to Sakurai himself.

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
That second statement still doesn't say "no exclusives" regardless. It definitely sounds like it could be the case, respectively. Or at the very least, very few exclusives, or even DLC for them as an option. We don't know. He just isn't specific enough for me to really say anything about it beyond pure guesses.

He did at one time he had no planned DLC, but I forget if that was before or after this statement. That may matter. If it was before, who knows? If it was after, he probably doesn't want exclusives.
Both interviews were the same week(the week of E3), so he probably didn't make any decisions between the two. The one where he talked about DLC(http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/14/4429220/super-smash-bros-for-wii-u-nintendo-3ds-removes-tripping) was published six days before the other if you're picky.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Both interviews were the same week(the week of E3), so he probably didn't make any decisions between the two. The one where he talked about DLC(http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/14/4429220/super-smash-bros-for-wii-u-nintendo-3ds-removes-tripping) was published six days before the other if you're picky.
Ah. So there's no way to tell.

...However, I checked for my own sources. http://kotaku.com/dont-expect-a-lot-of-third-party-characters-in-the-nex-513203533 To quote "The 3DS and Wii U versions of the next Smash Bros will have the same library of characters." However, it's just as vague as the other(it's also written in the article, but not a direct quote from Sakurai, which doesn't help). We know the final rosters will be the same, apparently. But that's all we can tell. Again, still vague. I wish he'd just come out and say "No exclusive characters that you have to connect to the other version will exist. Both game will contain the same rosters with no connection required to finish either." Or something to that degree.

Trust me, I actually think no connection will be required, but that being confirmed is the problem. Until then...

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I'm curious about something.

With this alt. costume, when the game is localized into other languages, they will have to take on account the gender change because some languages make distinction between male and female trainers.

What I mean is Wii Fit Trainer could refer to both male and female trainer, while on the Spanish or Portuguese websites, they explicitly refer to her as a female trainer ("Entrenadora de Wii Fit" or "Treinadora do Wii Fit") which means they will have to program something to change the name slightly to refer to a male trainer, which would be "Entrenador de Wii Fit" in Spanish or "Treinador do Wii Fit" in Portuguese.

Just a small observation that the localizers need to take on account if the game is to be translated to other languages that have gender distinction (such as the two I mentioned above), because it would be really weird to see the male trainer being referred as a female due to what could be an oversight in localization.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I have a feeling the actual select screen will just be written as Wii Fit Trainer and that the announcer will do the same. No need to specify male or female for yet another generic character. Especially when the gender doesn't matter.

Alzi

Smash Master
Alt costume that will change characters like Marth into Roy or Mario into Dr Mario or Peach into Daisy will not be happening.

Although if Dr Mario does get in as a alt which I doubt feel free to bash this post in the future.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I have a feeling the actual select screen will just be written as Wii Fit Trainer and that the announcer will do the same. No need to specify male or female for yet another generic character. Especially when the gender doesn't matter.
I think it would apply to Villager and Pokemon Trainer (Red / Leaf) as well.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I think it would apply to Villager and Pokemon Trainer as well.
If Pokemon Trainer comes back, yes. It's just a simple model, nothing more.

Now, I could see the male costume and female costume having a different voice actor if they talk.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I wonder how the female Villager might look like... what if it is her?!

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Alt costume that will change characters like Marth into Roy or Mario into Dr Mario or Peach into Daisy will not be happening.

Although if Dr Mario does get in as a alt which I doubt feel free to bash this post in the future.
Dr. Mario as an alt will probably appear and it absolutely makes sense. LOL
Is he a different character from Mario like Roy is from Marth? No. Where's the problem.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Is he a different character from Mario like Roy is from Marth? No. Where's the problem.
Let me think... yes. They are definitely separate in Smash already. They were never the same "character". They are arguably the same "person", which is a different thing. Zelda and Sheik are also different characters, but the same person. Character and Person are not synonyms.

@Arcadenik: It might be the New Leaf design.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Alternate costumes! Sweet.
Looks like Roy will make it into smash 4 after all :troll:

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Let me think... yes. They are definitely separate in Smash already. They were never the same "character". They are arguably the same "person", which is a different thing. Zelda and Sheik are also different characters, but the same person. Character and Person are not synonyms.

@Arcadenik: It might be the New Leaf design.
Absolutely ridiculous.
So now Melee Ganon can't be an alt of Brawl Ganon?
At this point you basically can't make alternate costumes whatsoever.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I'd kinda prefer it if the female villager gets this design but eh, I'm not too picky. Hopefully the alts for Villager gives them a few different face and hair style designs.... :x

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Absolutely ridiculous.
So now Melee Ganon can't be an alt of Brawl Ganon?
At this point you basically can't make alternate costumes whatsoever.
My bad, you're obviously trolling and can't think of any even remotely good example of why Dr. Mario should be a costume instead of his own character, which he already was... since forever?

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
My bad, you're obviously trolling and can't think of any even remotely good example of why Dr. Mario should be a costume instead of his own character, which he already was... since forever?
Dr. Mario is Mario with a doctor outfit.
But yes, it's better for him to be a different character, you're right. Makes much more sense. I mean, the PILLS right?
I hope Mario with the Fire Flower outfit becomes a different character, as an alt it doesn't make sense. They're the same person sure, but they're different CHARACTERS RIGHT???????

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
When Kirby copies the male Villager, I want Kirby to have the horned hat from the original Animal Crossing game on the Gamecube... when Kirby copies the female Villager, I want Kirby to hate the cone-shaped hat from that game as well. That would be awesome.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
When Kirby copies the male Villager, I want Kirby to have the horned hat from the original Animal Crossing game on the Gamecube... when Kirby copies the female Villager, I want Kirby to hate the cone-shaped hat from that game as well. That would be awesome.
Agreed. I have a feeling Kirby may take the default hat of the first costume, though. Doesn't he always take the base hat based upon the default costume?

Alzi

Smash Master
He is kinda like a different character especially when he was playable separately in melee. The thing is if dr mario is an alt it would be weird seeing him use mario's fire balls, you may say just replace them with pills but then that becomes a slight problem as then the character is changing too much IMO. Something like wii fit trainer, pokemon trainer work well as they won't be running into these problems. I could be wrong though.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Suddenly that R34 of futa Wii Fit Trainer with Villager where she said "What a tight fit" I see on Google Images makes sense.

D

Deleted member

To be honest, I wasn't counting on the male Trainer coming in as an alt due to the body differences and how feminine (in my eyes; don't start something about this) her movements are.

Hope he at least has a different set of voice clips.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
You mean to tell me we get something new for Wii Fit U's launch but nothing for Pokémon X/Y? Guess Nintendo/Sakurai really did believe Pokémon didn't need any extra gimmick to sell well -- not that it did.

Figured Wii Fit Trainer Man was going to be some sort of model swap like Wario. Pretty sure we'll be seeing Female Villager in the future at some point too.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Happy birthday, Hyper!

Awesome to see a sex change costume swap (and something to talk aboot here). So that means this will be the first time a costume swap will have a separate VOICE ACTOR too from the looks of things (that's just crazy man).
It's not THAT crazy. Definitely something new for Smash.

To be honest, I wasn't counting on the male Trainer coming in as an alt due to the body differences and how feminine (in my eyes; don't start something about this) her movements are.

Hope he at least has a different set of voice clips.
That feminine appearance to her movements is more deceptive than you think. Eddie and Christie, despite having identical movesets, their attacks don't seem like they'd be suited for the opposite sex. Considering that He Fit Trainer does all the same things in Wii Fit, it probably won't look that weird. Besides, it's not like Miss Fit displays any particularly feminine body language.

The body differences may play a part though due to differences in proportions so this MIGHT affect combos, but probably not too much.

I'm curious about something.

With this alt. costume, when the game is localized into other languages, they will have to take on account the gender change because some languages make distinction between male and female trainers.

What I mean is Wii Fit Trainer could refer to both male and female trainer, while on the Spanish or Portuguese websites, they explicitly refer to her as a female trainer ("Entrenadora de Wii Fit" or "Treinadora do Wii Fit") which means they will have to program something to change the name slightly to refer to a male trainer, which would be "Entrenador de Wii Fit" in Spanish or "Treinador do Wii Fit" in Portuguese.

Just a small observation that the localizers need to take on account if the game is to be translated to other languages that have gender distinction (such as the two I mentioned above), because it would be really weird to see the male trainer being referred as a female due to what could be an oversight in localization.
Shouldn't be an issue, especially considering that the character names really only show up in a handful of spots in the game. So they won't be walking on tightrope to make the gender differences.

D

Deleted member

That feminine appearance to her movements is more deceptive than you think. Eddie and Christie, despite having identical movesets, their attacks don't seem like they'd be suited for the opposite sex. Considering that He Fit Trainer does all the same things in Wii Fit, it probably won't look that weird. Besides, it's not like Miss Fit displays any particularly feminine body language.

The body differences may play a part though due to differences in proportions so this MIGHT affect combos, but probably not too much.
Didn't think of it that way....

Oh, and since it's Hyper's birthday today, Happy Birthday Hyper.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I think the hitboxes will remain untouched. This is probably just aesthetical changes like Wario Land Wario & Warioware Wario.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom