• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Accusing me of blind fanboyism and extreme damage control? Really now? I have actually been very critical of a lot of Nintendo's decisions, but I know context when I see it. I know why the WiiU is struggling and I'll say it again - the lack of games. PS3 went through the same exact thing.
No. Its doing awful even within the context.

And even when the games do come, its not going to rebound to the extent that the PS3 did (for one third-party support is going to be absolutely abysmal in 2014, worse than even in 2013).

I always get rocks thrown at me for not going with the crowd, however, I can see us having this same conversation a year from now (though we may also have the X-Bone to be laughing at).

The Wii U can still recover (by recover I mean its sales being on a trajectory to surpass the GameCube), however, its no question that the Wii U is performing abysmally even in spite of the current environment.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Still quite sure 3D World will be the foreman to start pushing the boulder that is Wii U down the hill that shall crush down everyone's expectations about it's poorly doing future. And then we need some more new games to keep our interest.

I just hope Nintendo will keep the momentum going... It's been a while we've heard of some games (like that Yarn Yoshi-game)

Alzi

Smash Master
I know why the WiiU is struggling and I'll say it again - the lack of games. PS3 went through the same exact thing.

100% agree here. This is the main reason why the wii u is struggling currently.

Not because of the console being under powered, or the whole idea with the game pad as some people say. We will be getting a very strong line up in 2014 of games which is what will make the wii u back on track.

(for the record I don't own a wii u atm since waiting for more games to be realised)

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I guess we're opposites then, considering I use the Wii U as a dedicated SEGA platform (ironic). I already have Sonic & All-Stars Racing and Sonic: Lost World, plus have varies titles on VC like the Sonic games, Ecco the Dolphin, Vectorman, Gunstar Heroes, Beyond Oasis, Pulseman, and Ristar.
I already downloaded over 140 Virtual Console and WiiWare games for the Wii, including dozens of Sega Genesis games... so I didn't really want to buy/download them again on Wii U unless it is a game that is not available on Wii (EarthBound and DuckTales: Remastered). I now use my Wii to play old games from the 20th century :p and watch TV shows on Netflix and to pacify my cousin's kids when they are over... they love playing Smash games, Mario main games + Mario Kart 64 (hate it when both girls fight over who gets to play as Peach), Kirby, Sonic, beat'em up games (Final Fight and Streets of Rage games... hate it when both girls fight over who gets to play as the token female character), and fighting games (Fatal Fury Special, King of Fighters '98, Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, Super Street Fighter II... they button mash but as long as they are having fun, that's all that matters). Sometimes I give them some variety by having them play games like Monster World IV (it has a female protagonist who is obviously girly unlike Samus) and DoReMi Fantasy (cutesy and colorful).

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
One more thing to keep in mind. Nintendo thought they would have sold five million Wii U's by April 2013. As of October 1st, 2013, the console has only sold 3.9 million.

These are uncomfortable truths, but the fact is that this generation is going to be a very rocky road for Nintendo at least on the home console side of things.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
I know a lot of casuals that are still satisfied with the Wii actually

I feel like the biggest reason why the Wii U is struggling is because in its attempt to have the best of both worlds, it failed in having a grasp on either

as in, it doesn't have the AAA titles out now to satisfy the "gamers" (lord I hate that word lol), nor does it have that same "it" factor to really grab the attention of people not into gaming like the Wii had

that said, even if it takes some price cutting, I think it'll be fine in the end once the games start coming

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
The market that once flocked to the Wii to play Wii Sports/Party/Guitar Hero etc... have moved onto other devices. Whether it be tablets, PS3/360 or mobile games they moved onto "the next big thing".

The Wii U is trying to follow in the footsteps of the Wii, trying to appeal the people who have moved on. The Wii had motion gaming, which was new for household gaming at the time.
The Wii U however, offers tablet gaming which:

A) Has been done before (Not just by their competitors, but but them as well)
B) Has been done better.
C) Follows similar naming conventions to the Wii, which leads people to believe it's not a new system at all but rather another add-on:
[collapse=Exhibit A]
[/collapse]
[collapse=Exhibit B]http://wiiudaily.com/2013/10/wii-and-wii-u-confusion/[/collapse]

In order to garner the 3rd Party support, which is what they want (and need), they are going to want to involve these devs in the development process of the system to find out what they need in the box, in terms of specs and features; rather than popping up on their door steps saying "Here's our new box! Make games for it."

Nintendo has some obvious issues they need to handle, but if anything this will be another learning experience for Nintendo. But they have the money bounce back, even if the Wii U tanks hard. I just hope they learn.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I think if the Wii U was called something different or even Wii 2, there wouldn't be the assumption of it being an add-on...

Similar stuff happened with the 3DS. Some people thought it was just another new version of the DS, when it's a completely new console that also happens to be retro compatible with DS software.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Eh, it's their first time pulling off HD for console gaming. Cut them some slack for once in a while and they'll improve overtime. The Nintendo HDii (next HD console) should be better by the end of this decade since the Wii U will have an average life span of 6 years in the first place.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Like I said, Nintendo has the money to allow the Wii U to tank.
They just need the brain power/ability to let go of pride/whatever the hell it is to learn why it tanked and learn from it for the next system.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
The PS4 & Xbone are gonna struggle on their launch too (especially the former). Both of their launch libraries are either not worth of getting the system right away or games available on systems you play on right now. Not to mention neither has backwards compatibility (something the Wii U has).

The Xbone has it far FAR worse due to being overpriced, and has hands down the worst first impression I've ever seen for a system pre launch in my entire life (just when one bad news came out, a never ending seemed flow another bad news came out the next day and is some how worse than the previous. Sure, Microsoft fixed a large sum of the issues, but they took WAY too long to address them and the remaining damage hit Microsoft too deep).

PS4 will do pretty good but there will still be some struggling.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Wii U might be under my hands during December ( I hope I find a good christmas sale to get it somewhat less costly than currently). 3D World will be keeping me busy for weeks, totally.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
The PS4 & Xbone are gonna struggle on their launch too (especially the former). Both of their launch libraries are either not worth of getting the system right away or games available on systems you play on right now. Not to mention neither has backwards compatibility (something the Wii U has).
Don't forget about this:

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Eh, it's their first time pulling off HD for console gaming. Cut them some slack for once in a while and they'll improve overtime. The Nintendo HDii (next HD console) should be better by the end of this decade since the Wii U will have an average life span of 6 years in the first place.
They started talking about and developing the Wii U once the Wii was shipped off. They had more than enough time to experiment with HD Gaming. Lack of power and hard drive space, advertising issues, name confusion and lack of support from 3rd parties are things they should've taken into consideration a lot more thoroughly.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Anyone played Sonic Lost world yet?

I like the atmosphere, and the cut scenes. But I don't feel the controls are as good as Generations.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Wii U might be under my hands during December ( I hope I find a good christmas sale to get it somewhat less costly than currently). 3D World will be keeping me busy for weeks, totally.
Me too!! I cannot wait to play Super Mario 3D World and New Super Mario Bros. U this Christmas. :chuckle:

And I also cannot wait to finally open my copies of Pokemon X and Pokemon Y (I bought them both on October 12) so I can catch up with you guys. ;)

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm excited for Super Mario 3D World, but I don't know many people that play video games anymore.

If I had someone to play it with, it might last more than a month before being shelved.

I even had people to play New Super Mario Wii, but not wii u

Edit: I bet I could find someone if I was playing COD, but that's about it

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Anyone played Sonic Lost world yet?

I like the atmosphere, and the cut scenes. But I don't feel the controls are as good as Generations.
Haven't bought it (opted for Batman: Origins) But i did play the demo at my local best buy, i can agree the controls aren't as good as Generations.

I think they really nailed sonic in Generations and Unleashed (Day sections only) I think Sonic games fall flat when they rely on heavy platforming. The game should be about going fast, drifting and dashing to maneuver around obstacles and chilli dogs.

Me too!! I cannot wait to play Super Mario 3D World and New Super Mario Bros. U this Christmas. :chuckle:

And I also cannot wait to finally open my copies of Pokemon X and Pokemon Y (I bought them both on October 12) so I can catch up with you guys. ;)
I'm liking what i've been seeing from 3D world, but i'm not convinced on whether or not to buy it. Looking forward to DKC:TF

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I also hope the game isn't as short as I think it is.

...though unlocking things is going to take a while. I've done pretty poorly on most levels so far. Assuming there is stuff to unlock.

I haven't been doing a lot of research into the features of the game.

IGN reviewer gave the game a "5.8" but the community gave the game "9.1"

The reviewer's article seems amateurishly written and talks about how many times he died, mostly due to his ignorance rather than the game itself

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
3D World seems to really hit up the alley about what the developers wanted it to be: the culmination of all that is Mario 3D and 2D. But what is drawing me to the game is how it really really evokes the fun and whimsical feeling I always experienced as a child when playing Mario-games. SMG2 got there pretty well but here in 3D World it's not pampered by feel of epicness and collectathon stuff, everything just feels really fun to try out and play, gosh. Like, why can't I just be there and have all this fun as I'd traverse through stages?

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Whenever I play Sonic, I feel like I'm going to hit a wall. The speed is too much for me to handle to enjoy Sonic.
That's why I thought this new parkour system would be perfect like a game like Sonic.

Sonic Lost world's levels seem tailored to the skillset of Mario, but instead of playing as Mario you are controlling an Audi R8 that can double jump.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
3D World does look way better than what I saw last time, it actually looks it'll do something the "New" series didn't do for me, keeping me interested.
Dat Bowser Battle theme.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Whoah, I just watched Sonic Lost World gameplay by a fan on youtube.

Apparently there are some controls I didn't know about?

It looks like Sonic can boost in the game and I just haven't figure out how or something

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'm excited for Super Mario 3D World, but I don't know many people that play video games anymore.

If I had someone to play it with, it might last more than a month before being shelved.

I even had people to play New Super Mario Wii, but not wii u

Edit: I bet I could find someone if I was playing COD, but that's about it
I have someone to play games with... my boyfriend. He likes gaming but not as much as I do. LOL he is more of a PC gamer since I see him playing MMORPGs sometimes at night when he is restless (he is used to night shifts) but he liked playing Smash, Kirby, and NSMBWii with me. He is looking forward to playing SSB4 (he doesn't know many Nintendo characters but finds all playable characters confirmed to be awesome), Mario Kart 8, Mario + Luigi U, 3D World, and Pokemon X & Y with me. It is so great to have a Player 2.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Same situation for me. Most people I know don't play videogames. There are fighting game players I know, but it's hit and miss with them if they play the same games. Not only that, but I'm far from everyone else (and I hate using gas).

I'm liking what i've been seeing from 3D world, but i'm not convinced on whether or not to buy it. Looking forward to DKC:TF
I'm looking forward to the Huge Tropical Orgy too.

3D World seems to really hit up the alley about what the developers wanted it to be: the culmination of all that is Mario 3D and 2D. But what is drawing me to the game is how it really really evokes the fun and whimsical feeling I always experienced as a child when playing Mario-games. SMG2 got there pretty well but here in 3D World it's not pampered by feel of epicness and collectathon stuff, everything just feels really fun to try out and play, gosh. Like, why can't I just be there and have all this fun as I'd traverse through stages?
The soundtrack does a good job of getting that Mario feel too.
Seriously, dat saxaphone.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I have someone to play games with... my boyfriend. He likes gaming but not as much as I do. LOL he is more of a PC gamer since I see him playing MMORPGs sometimes at night when he is restless (he is used to night shifts) but he liked playing Smash, Kirby, and NSMBWii with me. He is looking forward to playing SSB4 (he doesn't know many Nintendo characters but finds all playable characters confirmed to be awesome), Mario Kart 8, Mario + Luigi U, 3D World, and Pokemon X & Y with me. It is so great to have a Player 2.
You're woman? How surprising! O_O

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Just got my computer back from the repair shop (finally). I sent it in telling them that it has been randomly shutting off without warning but I picked it up unmodified due to the repair guys couldn't find a single problem with it. Oh well, at least it's not randomly shutting down for whatever reason.

As for genders, when I don't feel like finding out what the person really is, I go by this saying: guys are guys, girls are guys, and 12 year olds are undercover FBI agents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom