• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
It's Halloween already... Pokemon X and Y made this month seem to go by fast and yet slow at the same time.

Well, here's some songs to help get in the spirit, I guess.

Hoping against hope that we'll get something for Oct. 31. or Nov 1.

----

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
I have zero hope for anything special for Halloween's Pic of the Day. Is Halloween even celebrated in Japan?
Japan tends to celebrate a lot of things that have absolutely nothing to do with them at times, on and off.

Halloween sometimes being one of them.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
It's Halloween already... Pokemon X and Y made this month seem to go by fast and yet slow at the same time.

Well, here's some songs to help get in the spirit, I guess.

Hoping against hope that we'll get something for Oct. 31. or Nov 1.

----
Pretty good Halloween related tunes, but this theme is what really gets me in the spirit as far as that...

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
It pains me to know that we'll most likely never have a playable Hawlucha in Smash, the guy was basically made for Smash(and Mucha Lucha)

FLYING PRESS
I wonder why GameFreak hasn't fleshed out dual-type moves earlier. Moves like Mud-Shot and Muddy Water should definitely be Water/Ground moves.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I just read Nintendo's latest quarterly report, and the results are horrific (at least on the Wii U side of things).

If the Wii U does not do well this holiday season, then it probably won't even be able to outsell the GameCube.

Iwata must be kicking himself for greenlighting a 3DS version for Smash 4. No doubt Smash 4 would be out much earlier, but also he would not have to worry about everyone simply getting the 3DS version, and the Wii U losing a game that could possibly put it above at least the GameCube.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
The results are so bad, that there are NEGATIVE shipments in Europe (European retailers shipping Wii U's back to Nintendo because they are not selling).

These last two months of 2013 are going to be the do or die moment for the Wii U.

Shadocat

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3737-9651-3260
I just read Nintendo's latest quarterly report, and the results are horrific (at least on the Wii U side of things).

If the Wii U does not do well this holiday season, then it probably won't even be able to outsell the GameCube.

Iwata must be kicking himself for greenlighting a 3DS version for Smash 4. No doubt Smash 4 would be out much earlier, but also he would not have to worry about everyone simply getting the 3DS version, and the Wii U losing a game that could possibly put it above at least the GameCube.

I guess the price drop didn't help much. And lets not forget that the Xbox1 and PS4 are right around the corner. So right now Its looking like "RIP" for the WiiU.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I guess the price drop didn't help much. And lets not forget that the Xbox1 and PS4 are right around the corner. So right now Its looking like "RIP" for the WiiU.
The month with the big price cut and big notable bundles (New Super Mario Bros. U + New Super Luigi U) is not included in the financial report.

Sure the price cut happened in September, but that was like only two weeks.

Like I said, the last quarter of 2014 is going to be the do or die moment for the Wii U.

If the Wii U has a very anemic holiday season, Iwata will step down in 2014.

At the very least I think they are going to push Smash 4 3DS into 2015 to keep it from cannibalizing possible Wii U sales.

Alzi

Smash Master
The wii u is just getting started. It is called the wii u for a reason because with super mairo 3d world coming soon and that strong line up in the year 2014 the wii u will be making a U turn in the right direction. There line up is pretty damn strong in 2014 I mean mario kart 8 and smash bros alone are very heavy hitters I mean heck some people will be buying a wii u just for smash alone. Plus the games we know so far for 2014 we don't even know what surprises Nintendo has for us.

Can quote this in the future but the wii u is definitely not going to die any time soon.

Also as for smash 4 IT WILL release in 2014. I am willing to bet anything it won't get any delays into 2015. Q3 or Q4 of 2014 is when smash will come out. We will also see an e3 trailer for the new zelda next year with a 2015 release date.

Edit: As for ps4 and xbox one it will do some damage to the wii u when they launch but in the future IMO they won't harm it to much. In fact I believe the wii u has a better future than ps4 and xbox one.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Also as for smash 4 IT WILL release in 2014. I am willing to bet anything it won't get any delays into 2015. Q3 or Q4 of 2014 is when smash will come out. We will also see an e3 trailer for the new zelda next year with a 2015 release date.
Smash 4 Wii U will be released during Q4 2014 for sure. Smash 4 3DS on the otherhand could potentially be the final nail in the Wii U's coffin if they don't delay that game.

Seriously, I don't think Nintendo fans here realize how dire the situation is for the Wii U. Its tracking even below the GameCube right now.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I'm actually interested in getting a Wii U since it has games I would like to play. It's just that, nowadays, I'm away from home most of the year and hardly have any opportunities to play on a home console and transporting a home console when you rely on public transports isn't a reliable solution.

The 3DS gives me the ability to play anywhere and it has a very good library of games that satisfies me already. I think my life situation could be similar to that of many other people, where having a portable console is more viable that having a home console. That's possibly why the 3DS has been selling well.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Only idiots and insane M$ fanboys are buying an XBone anyway, that thing will end up going the way of the Dreamcast. Sony and Nintendo will both be fine.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Nintendo needs new management. I like Iwata and all, very charismatic dude, but if Nintendo is to be truly competitive they need new blood.

Someone whose willing to take bigger chances with the platform's services and features rather than it's controllers.
But i do think once MK8 and Smash comes out, things will pick up for the better, though idk what else they can produce to keep the momentum going.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Can quote this in the future but the wii u is definitely not going to die any time soon.
This is pretty much what I'm thinking. Since the DS. It seems platforms have to wait longer to get those big AAA titles that get the platform selling. IIRC, it took until the summer of 2005 with the release of Canvas Curse (which needs a sequel btw) for the DS to FINALLY pick up steam. People thought the PSP was going to outperform the DS when in retrospect the exact opposite happened. The Wii started to pick up more of a hardcore following once games like Metroid Prime 3 and Super Mario Galaxy came out. Then we had the 3DS which was, again, viewed as luckluster, but games like Kid Icarus Uprising and Kingdom Hearts 3D helped it finally pick up steam. Now with Pokemon X and Y out, the 3DS will definitely survive and be seen as another another respectable Nintendo handheld.

Outside of Nintendo, there was the infamous 'PS3 has no games' meme, but it's been handling itself quite nicely. If we want to look at the PS4, I'm just waiting for games like Guilty Gear Xrd -Sign-, Kingdom Hearts 3, and Final Fantasy XV. Not only that, but Japanese games are far more likely to be on the PS4 than the Xbox One Direction so the PS4 is a good choice for me in the long run.

In the end, we shouldn't worry too much about the WiiU. There has yet to be a really major WiiU title to be released. Pikmin 3, while supposedly a great game, is part of a not so big franchise (meaning not a system seller). Wind Waker is a remake. Wonderful 101 is another niche Platinum game (which is not inherently a bad thing). I think the decision to release 3D World for the holidays is the smartest thing they can do. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised it was one reason why Huge Tropical Orgy was delayed - keep the momentum of the WiiU sales.

And ask yourself this, what are the big titles that the Xbox One Direction and PS4 are getting this holiday season? Sales wise, its just Call of Duty. If the rumors are true though, Nintendo will have to really emphasize that they're the only one getting Ghosts in native 1080p.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I plan to buy that Wii U bundle with New Super Mario Bros. U + New Super Luigi U this Friday... Nintendo finally gave me a good reason to buy it now... this is what I wanted, not Nintendo Land... and Super Mario 3D World is coming out next month... so I will have a Mario-filled Christmas this year. :awesome:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
X-Box One has potential to bomb worse than the Wii U. Its basically a weaker PS4 that is $100 more.

Really, the only two countries the Xbone is going to be relevant in are the US and maybe the UK.

However, I would say in the absolute best case scenario, the Wii U only outsells the Nintendo 64 (which did around 33-35 million).

As it stands, the Wii U is tracking below even the GameCube.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Well, if the rumour that ReviewTwchUSA posted is true, we could be in for a disaster involving all of the consoles this generation.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
X-Box One has potential to bomb worse than the Wii U. Its basically a weaker PS4 that is $100 more.

Really, the only two countries the Xbone is going to be relevant in are the US and maybe the UK.

However, I would say in the absolute best case scenario, the Wii U only outsells the Nintendo 64 (which did around 33-35 million).

As it stands, the Wii U is tracking below even the GameCube.
According to Shinji MIkami, the two are identical, making have two of them redundant.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10...specs-almost-identical-says-resident-evil-dev

That being said, it's still 100$ more than the PS4 and I don't give a single care about Kinect (I honestly think Microsoft's vision would hurt the industry were it to win). And I do agree that the Xbox One will really only have power in the US, Canada (let's include them for argument's sake), and the UK. I think we can all agree it won't hold much power in Japan. I still remember being amazed that The iDolM@ster was a 360 exclusive, but the later games were on handhelds until The iDolM@ster 2 was again a 360 exclusive until the PS3 port which I think will be a permanent thing from now on.

For all this talk about sales, you're comparing different time periods, demographic differences, and market trends. If the WiiU does sell out the N64, that's actually really good in light of the economic situation whereas the 90's economy was much better. Anyway, stop being so doom and gloom about all this.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
For all this talk about sales, you're comparing different time periods, demographic differences, and market trends. If the WiiU does sell out the N64, that's actually really good in light of the economic situation whereas the 90's economy was much better. Anyway, stop being so doom and gloom about all this.
Its not doom and gloom. Its objective analysis.

Right now the system IS tracking below the GameCube. That's a fact.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Objective analysis would also include taking into account the differences in market climate.

Not saying it explains everything, but you're not giving it enough credit.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Objective analysis would also include taking into account the differences in market climate.

Not saying it explains everything, but you're not giving it enough credit.
You are looking at things through rose-tinted glasses.

The fact is that even in spite of the worse economic environment the Wii U is severely underperforming.

The game industry is general is probably headed for a contraction, but I doubt the PS4 will be putting up the extremely anemic numbers the Wii U is putting out (again they had NEGATIVE shipments in Europe).

The game industry is headed for a contraction in general, but the the massive crunch that the Wii has experienced goes well beyond and far from that. The Wii was a console that sold over 100 million units, yet its successor is beforing more anemically than even the GameCube.

There is opinions, and then there is math.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
There is also meaning behind numbers.

The Wii was the perfect thing at the time, but like many trends, it eventually sizzled out. This is likely one of the reasons for the shift with the WiiU. "Casual" and "non-gamers" were the ones that really bought the Wii and rose its numbers to sky rocket numbers. Nintendo knew that they needed to turn these types of gamers into more "core" gamers in order to have a steady and loyal consumer base, but it looks like, for now, that wasn't as successful as they would've liked. "Casual" and "non-gamers" are very trendy and will pretty much just stay on board until the next big thing comes along.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
There is also meaning behind numbers.

The Wii was the perfect thing at the time, but like many trends, it eventually sizzled out. This is likely one of the reasons for the shift with the WiiU. "Casual" and "non-gamers" were the ones that really bought the Wii and rose its numbers to sky rocket numbers. Nintendo knew that they needed to turn these types of gamers into more "core" gamers in order to have a steady and loyal consumer base, but it looks like, for now, that wasn't as successful as they would've liked. "Casual" and "non-gamers" are very trendy and will pretty much just stay on board until the next big thing comes along.
The Wii U shouldn't be doing this anemic though, that is what you don't understand.

At the very least it should be ahead of the GameCube coming off of the Wii, not every person who bought a Wii was a "casual" or "non-gamer", and I would venture to say a large portion of people who bought PS2's during the previous generation were the ones who jumped onto the Wii.

As it stands, the Wii U has a very uncertain future. The next two months are going to be very telling for platform.

But you absolutely cannot defend the absolutely horrible reports coming out for the Wii U's sales. You would have to be mathematically illiterate, or a damage control officer of the higher calibur, to spin them as not as bad as they actually are (or actually good or satisfactory within the context of the economic and demographic situation like you are insinuating).

I have been a fan of Nintendo before many people on this board were even born, however, I draw the line at blind fanboyism, and extreme damage control.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I plan to buy that Wii U bundle with New Super Mario Bros. U + New Super Luigi U this Friday... Nintendo finally gave me a good reason to buy it now... this is what I wanted, not Nintendo Land... and Super Mario 3D World is coming out next month... so I will have a Mario-filled Christmas this year. :awesome:
I guess we're opposites then, considering I use the Wii U as a dedicated SEGA platform (ironic). I already have Sonic & All-Stars Racing and Sonic: Lost World, plus have varies titles on VC like the Sonic games, Ecco the Dolphin, Vectorman, Gunstar Heroes, Beyond Oasis, Pulseman, and Ristar.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
The Wii U shouldn't be doing this anemic though, that is what you don't understand.

At the very least it should be ahead of the GameCube coming off of the Wii, not every person who bought a Wii was a "casual" or "non-gamer", and I would venture to say a large portion of people who bought PS2's during the previous generation were the ones who jumped onto the Wii.
Hard to say really. A lot of "core" gamers were disgruntled with the Wii after not having much to satisfy them along with the casualized approach Nintendo took with their games. Not only that, but as I've been saying, there simply have not been that many games worth buying on the WiiU right now. The Gamecube had the luxury of having Melee released a month after launch. Such a thing is likely not to happen for a long time and that game was rushed too.

Where does the PS2 fall in this exactly? One reason that system was bought was because it was cheapest DVD player for the longest time. It's been speculated that this particular feature was what set the last nail in the coffin for the Dreamcast. That DVD feature wouldn't play much relevance by the time the Wii came out.

I have been a fan of Nintendo before many people on this board were even born, however, I draw the line at blind fanboyism, and extreme damage control.
Accusing me of blind fanboyism and extreme damage control? Really now? I have actually been very critical of a lot of Nintendo's decisions, but I know context when I see it. I know why the WiiU is struggling and I'll say it again - the lack of games. PS3 went through the same exact thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom