• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Wii Fit trainer using exercises to attack is pretty cool.

Now tell me what Pac Man does? Take a look as all the special things he does, I can show you other characters in the game that do something similar. Sure, he'll be represented well and have some game related attacks, but I don't see them as anything unique to smash. Sakurai might surprise me however, but I lack the ability to see him having anything that special. I get his iconic status and the fact that he has a good rivalry with Mario (plus the creator of Mario said Pac Man was his favorite character ever or something like that) so this could easily qualify him, but it doesn't mean he'll have an amazing moveset.

If we do get Pac Man however, it would be with the release of the Wii U game more then likely, which many sites say will happen late this month. I betcha after that date passes we may have an answer.
Is there any other arcade style Namco game he could barrow inspiration from?

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
If we are going to get ANYONE from Skylanders it should be gill grunt or Thumpback
I've never played Skylanders, but I do like the design of Gill Grunt. Isn't Spyro the main character of that series? Having a character like Gill Grunt in over Spyro is like putting Zero in a fighting game and leaving out Megaman...

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I've never played Skylanders, but I do like the design of Gill Grunt. Isn't Spyro the main character of that series? Having a character like Gill Grunt in over Spyro is like putting Zero in a fighting game and leaving out Megaman...
Not sure if suppose to be ironic

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Intended.

Other than chomping. Another possible moveset I see Pacman having is a moveset made up of old retro Namco games like Galaxia and Dig-Dug.

Other than that I got nothin'.

I'd much rather worry about King K. Rool than Pac-man tbh.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
He's been around a bunch of Namco characters.

In theory he could just be some huge amalgam of Namco characters for his moveset. That could be possibly interesting but not represent Pac Man himself.
Well, many smash characters themselves aren't true representations of their character but barrow moves from games such as kirby rather than have anything from their own game

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Intended.

Other than chomping. Another possible moveset I see Pacman having is a moveset made up of old retro Namco games like Galaxia and Dig-Dug.

I'd be myself all for this. Some moves of his own and some borrow from retro Namco classics. IMO it'd be most incharacter for him as means of a moveset.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Am I the only here that believes there's absolutely no character that becomes playable will be a deal breaker for me of any sort?

I'd like to see Pac-Man. Heck, not even something stupid like Call of Duty dog will let me down. I more focus on how well they fight rather than who they are.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Am I the only here that believes there's absolutely no character that becomes playable will be a deal breaker for me of any sort?

I'd like to see Pac-Man. Heck, not even something stupid like Call of Duty dog will let me down. I more focus on how well they fight rather than who they are.
I care who they put in

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
You're not alone. Brawl pretty much added every character I wanted, and Toon Link has made a grand return. Anything now is bonus for me.

D

Deleted member

I think Oasis was on to something with his mentioning of jagged movements based on the original arcade game.
The original game is known for one main thing; constant movement. You have to keep moving and changing which way you go to complete the goal (eat all the Pellets) and avoid the danger (the Ghosts that chase after you) unless you are able to go on the offensive.

So, a fighting style that emphasizes this would be best suited. Attacks that move Pac-Man every which way that can be used for both hunting down opponents that are out to take you down and for escaping said opponents when things get too risky.
Many of Pac's newer power-ups from that Ghostly Adventures game can be used easily for this, such as swelling up like a balloon and propelling himself by deflating, bouncing around in the "classic" ball shape, create a path to spin Tazmanian Devil style, etc.
As well as general attacks that move him around such as his signature chomping.

Really, the potential for an interesting style is there if someone seriously thinks about it.
EDIT: That doesn't resort to making him a "Namco Museum" character of sorts.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I'd be myself all for this. Some moves of his own and some borrow from retro Namco classics. IMO it'd be most incharacter for him as means of a moveset.
Just spit-balling ideas, but I do think it might be better than having Pac-man having chomp for everything. I just imagine him pulling out 8-bit carnations of weapons or characters of that game similarly to how G&W pulls out the turtle or throws bacon and sausages in his moveset
I care who they put in
Despite what some say about representation not mattering. I think we all care to some degree who gets into the game.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
You're not alone. Brawl pretty much added every character I wanted, and Toon Link has made a grand return. Anything now is bonus for me.
A lot I wanted, I admit. I would've liked the other characters to be finished, though. But the roster was overall very good.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
*sigh* I can't wait til this game is released so we can FINALLY stop having ****ing Pac-Man discussions. -_-

D

Deleted member

Because by that time, no one will question how he would work since they could just see for themselves. :troll:

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
we can't avoid it forever :troll:
I don't see why. I can't imagine there being any employees left at Namco that have much of a hard on for Pac-Man. I'm sure most of the original group's moved on to bigger and better things, including different studios.

Although I can't fathom there would be any harm done if Pac-Man was one of the select to be a poster-child for DLC, should Nintendo decide to implement this as a feature. That would be nice actually, a subtle nod to Namco-Bandai for their hard work.

Suffice to say, why argue with such vehemence when the matter is so discrete/indistinct?

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
*sigh* I can't wait til this game is released so we can FINALLY stop having ****ing Pac-Man discussions. -_-
Agreed. I feel the same way about other certain discussions. Tbh, one of the worst things about waiting for these type of games is roster discussions. You have some decently good discussions with some of em, but it's repeative. Then you have stupid and/or ridiculous wants and that gets outta control.
I forgot what characters were massively wanted (besides Sonic) during the Brawl roster discussion times, but boy, this takes the cake. On the bright side, the Mega Man and Sonic wants finally dropped since they were revealed. But then that leaves other characters wanted.... *shivers*

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Something tells me people will continue to bring it up regardless if he is revealed. When does the game come out Oct 22? or was it 25th? Idk, but I have a feeling people will say "wait until the next direct", "wait until the next direct." Until it's days before E3 and say "E3 for sure!" :laugh:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
People won't stop talking about the characters they want to see until either they are deconfirmed or the game comes out. Actually not even then, then we have the ridiculous phase of "well, maybe they're just hidden really well". :rolleyes:

Then we get the five stages of grief (denial already in progress).

Then Smash 5 spec starts. :awesome:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I suspect the characters at E3 are ALL the new characters

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
People won't stop talking about the characters they want to see until either they are deconfirmed or the game comes out. Actually not even then, then we have the ridiculous phase of "well, maybe they're just hidden really well". :rolleyes:

Then we get the five stages of grief (denial already in progress).

Then Smash 5 spec starts. :awesome:
You mean Smash 6.

Remember, as far as Sakurai is concerned, he says Smash 3DS IS Smash 5.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
He didn't really specify which version is which. Just that it's up to the player. And yeah, the pun is odd.
Actually, yes he did.

In one of his interviews, he states that these are the 4th and 5th versions of Smash he's created. He's then questioned if he considers Wii U and 3DS to be 4th and 5th respectively to which he replies that yes, Wii U is the 4th and 3DS is the 5th.

Besides, it's not something that takes too much thinking to realize. Of course that's the correct order.

And people didn't "figure out" the "pun" because it wasn't an intentional pun to begin with. Everyone just assumed it was because they were all calling it "Smash 4" at first. They just don't wanna give it up. lol

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Sakurai: No, actually, there was never any consideration to having him in previous games, and if you think about it, there hasn't been really a precedent for third-party characters joining other than very special cases like Sonic, during the last game. It's something that wasn't even possible. We're now going into versions four and five within the series—this is only something that's now possible.

Kotaku: When you say four and five, do you mean the 3DS and Wii U versions? Those are separate?

Sakurai: Yeah, exactly.
He does not specify which is which at all. If anything, 3DS is Four and Wii U is Five, going by the order said. Do you have a source of specification?

http://kotaku.com/an-in-depth-chat-with-the-genius-behind-super-smash-bro-530744390 This is mine.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Everyone finds Pac-Man overrated here.

......I must be one of the few that finds Mega Man the same.
Never cared much about either of the two 'Mans.
Pac-Man is overrated in the sense that he has not been nearly as requested as Megaman or Sonic the Hedgehog. I doubt there will be many people out there whose wishes' come true if Pac-Man's playable.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Do you really have to ask when Naruto exists, giving a skewed image about what ninjas are about like what One Piece does to pirates?
One Piece doesn't skew it as bad as Naruto. At least you can tell that One Piece is meant to be rather light hearted in comparison to Naruto. Besides that, we also have Pirates of the Caribbean that shows pirates in another way. Had there been another big franchise starring ninjas, Naruto wouldn't be as big of a skewer.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
One Piece doesn't skew it as bad as Naruto. At least you can tell that One Piece is meant to be rather light hearted in comparison to Naruto. Besides that, we also have Pirates of the Caribbean that shows pirates in another way. Had there been another big franchise starring ninjas, Naruto wouldn't be as big of a skewer.
Well, there is a big franchise in TMNT, but that's the only one I can think of that wasn't a one-shot Manga/Anime/Cartoon.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Well, there is a big franchise in TMNT, but that's the only one I can think of that wasn't a one-shot Manga/Anime/Cartoon.
So ninja's fight aliens, mutants, and crime syndicates

Travel through space, time, and dimension

Put weird toppings on their pizza

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Pac-Man always had supporters but they were largely ignored since most people were gushing over Tales, Tekken, and Soulcalibur characters... then everyone found out that Namco is working on SSB4... that's when Pac-Man supporters became more vocal about supporting Pac-Man... and the Tales/Tekken/Soulcalibur supporters ridiculed Pac-Man supporters for supporting Pac-Man... and then after Sakurai said he isn't adding fighting-game characters in SSB4... effectively deconfirming Tekken/Soulcalibur characters... now the Tekken/Soulcalibur supporters seem to side with the Tales supporters against Pac-Man supporters... continuing bashing on Pac-Man and saying he is overrated. Sad...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom