• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Done with one midterm, now onto the next one. After all this, Sakurai better show us what we want to see tomorrow.
it's more Pac-Man and Snake I guess that bring heated discussion than just third parties in general, hahaha

especially Pac-Man >_<
That's because they're all lame. At this point the only third party character that makes sense and is remotely interesting is Professor Layton. Or Slime. :awesome:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Pac-Man... I know he's a big videogame icon and all that, but hasn't been quite notable since the 80's.

He only has that legacy that keeps him famous. He's not like Mario, Sonic, Link, Mega Man or even Snake, who have several acclaimed games that make them well-known. I believe that he only gets mentioned often because Namco Bandai is developing the game.

The requests and support for Pac-Man, Tales characters and other Namco Bandai characters only started to become more frequent when Namco Bandai was announced to be the game's developer.

You'd expect that after Sakurai stated that he wouldn't be giving Namco Bandai characters priority, people would stop using this reason to justify their support, but it seems that not many people have common sense...

Not that I'm against the inclusion of a Namco Bandai character, such as Pac-Man or a Tales character. In fact, I think Pac-Man being in this game would be a historical happening in video game history, by having well known mascots crossing over in the same title, but the game is fine without him too.

If I had to choose between Snake or Pac-Man, I'd prefer Snake to return, solely for gameplay purposes.

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
The truth about Pac-Man, if we are all honest here, is very few people actually want him. The only reason he gets the attention he does is because of Namco's participation in development, and that leak -- which even I'm not 100% on it not being a misunderstanding of some kind.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Pac-Man supporters happen to be very vocal. I haven't seen a huge number, just the same ones screaming the same thing.

7th time trying to post this >___________>

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Pac-Man... I know he's a big videogame icon and all that, but hasn't been quite notable since the 80's.

He only has that legacy that keeps him famous. He's not like Mario, Sonic, Link, Mega Man or even Snake, who have several acclaimed games that make them well-known. I believe that he only gets mentioned often because Namco Bandai is developing the game.

The requests and support for Pac-Man, Tales characters and other Namco Bandai characters only started to become more frequent when Namco Bandai was announced to be the game's developer.

You'd expect that after Sakurai stated that he wouldn't be giving Namco Bandai characters priority, people would stop using this reason to justify their support, but it seems that not many people have common sense...

Not that I'm against the inclusion of a Namco Bandai character, such as Pac-Man or a Tales character. In fact, I think Pac-Man being in this game would be a historical happening in video game history, by having well known mascots crossing over in the same title, but the game is fine without him too.

If I had to choose between Snake or Pac-Man, I'd prefer Snake to return, solely for gameplay purposes.
So are you essentially saying Pac-man isn't "relevant"?
Whether or not he has been notable since the 80's, relevance has nothing to do with it. If he gets in it's most likely because Namco is co-developing the game.

People will grab to hope for any character no matter how unlikely a character may seem. Case and point: The Pryosphere & Ridley issue. So I can't really knock Pac-man supporters for it.

I think I would go with Snake too, but I would like to see what Pac-man's moveset would have been to make a better decision.

D

Deleted member

Everyone finds Pac-Man overrated here.

......I must be one of the few that finds Mega Man the same.
Never cared much about either of the two 'Mans.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
So are you essentially saying Pac-man isn't "relevant"?
Whether or not he has been notable since the 80's, relevance has nothing to do with it. If he gets in it's most likely because Namco is co-developing the game.
Except Sakurai stated that Namco Bandai developing the game wouldn't mean anything regarding Namco Bandai characters, including Pac-Man. There is no correlation between Namco Bandai developing the game and Namco Bandai providing one of their characters to the game.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
I'm probably the only person behind Professor Layton. Level-5 goes hard.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
A few minutes in, Pac Man looks like he'd be seriously stale... I have this funny feeling I'll be either digging desperately into old games, or he's going to have lame copy moves of Mario since in his games he has WAY too many similarities to Mario...

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Except Sakurai stated that Namco Bandai developing the game wouldn't mean anything regarding Namco Bandai characters, including Pac-Man. There is no correlation between Namco Bandai developing the game and Namco Bandai providing one of their characters to the game.
I think he means the game won't contain loads of Namco characters just because Namco Bandai is making the game.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Yeah...

I may pass on Pac Man. Sadly, everything "special" I can find already has some other Smash character doing it.

Really, unless a miracle happens I can't find anything he offers to be unique in this game and only see the merit of his rivalry with Mario. Hrm...

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Is desperate digging the best way to come up with a moveset. I mean, Sakurai said once that first impressions matter the most. So, going by that, FOR ME when I think of Pac-Man I think of the jagged motions he made in his first and only game anyone cares about at all. I would base a moveset around the ability to change directions during the movements of attacks. Can only get you so far though, really... by which I mean HINT HINT.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
The problem with that is that a Namco Bandai character HAS been a major topic among fans

and while them working on it ALONE doesn't mean a character will be in it, the fact that fans have showed so much interest and debate into the subject could push it into happening

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I think he means the game won't contain loads of Namco characters just because Namco Bandai is making the game.
Namco-Bandai is still third party here. All it means is that they won't automatically get a character just because they're working on the game. We may see some Namco-Bandai stuff, that is, if they even get a character. Stickers, Trophies, Music, Stages, Items, none of it is guaranteed.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Is desperate digging the best way to come up with a moveset. I mean, Sakurai said once that first impressions matter the most. So, going by that, FOR ME when I think of Pac-Man I think of the jagged motions he made in his first and only game anyone cares about at all. I would base a moveset around the ability to change directions during the movements of attacks. Can only get you so far though, really... by which I mean HINT HINT.

Even then, I'd have to make up things to make him even remotely interesting. Almost every special ability power pellet he has is similar to something in Mario or makes him do stuff others already do. He'll be bland and generic.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Like I said: People will grab to hope for any character no matter how unlikely a character may seem.
Remember this: "An enemy from shamus's past might soon appear."
Despite that statement, people believe that Ridley still has a chance as playable character. (He might very well have a chance, not saying he doesn't have no chance)

Also, just because he says that, doesn't mean no sort of influence will occur.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Pac-Man talk?

Well all I can say is Tales Of Symphonia Chronicles releases today in Japan for PS3. Basically codifies me that Pac-Man or no Namco-character at all. (But to be honest, why would one announce a character from a Sony-console release game, especially over a more iconic mascot)

At the end, Tales Of-rep is basically another of those fan pipe dreams which seemed now possible but were inflated to be so... at the end they never had any chance at the first place, at least when looking at the current events.

I still wonder why I just had to support Lloyd at the first place...

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Someone on Serebii forums said the stupidest thing ever

Froakie being dark type doesn't make sense because he's a ninja

what the hell do people think ninjas are these days?

Remember this: "An enemy from shamus's past might soon appear."
Dammit. I think I remember some user named Shamus but whatever

But in all seriousness and honestly despite the lack of the reveal, the one character I know that fits that description best is.... Spyro :D

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Yep, sorry but I quit on Pac Man.

Yes, he has a LOT you can work with to make a moveset, I can't deny that.

However, almost all of it is very bland, and Pac Man would have such a generic fighting style that even Mario has more has more character to his moveset. Seriously, Pac Man would be like taking a bunch of characters that already are in the game and deciding they needed to make a bunch of moves put together for some reason.

Seeing as how I like unique playstyles in smash, this guy can't give me that.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I'm too afraid they'll glitch my game and make it crash.

That was a really funny joke and reference that maybe only HyperFalcon will get depending on how cool she is.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Should I "go Toad" again and see if I can come up with something for Pac Man?
Give it a shot. This is the best I could come up with:

Here is a move set of specials I have been thinking of:

B - Chomp - That is similar to Wario's Chomp, The only difference is that Pacman can eat non-explosive projectiles and regain life when eaten. He could even make the same sounds from the arcade when he eats fruits when he manages to to eat the projectile.

Side B - Rev Roll - Functions like Jigglypuff's Roll Out and Ike's Quick Draw.

Down B - Ghost throw - Similar to DDD's WaddleDee throw, Pac-man will throw either Pinky, Blinky, Clyde and Inky randomly. Each will have different properties in knock-back.

Up B - Pac-trail - Players can quickly draw out a trail of pellets and Pacman will follow the trail.

The trail would have a limit of about 6 pellets long. After that he will fall helplessly. He will do damage to opponents that get caught as he eats the pellets and the final pellet will have a pretty decent knock back.

All moves except ghost throw can be seen in the video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GR6RU8Jy9oI

I haven't really thought about tilts, jabs, dash and all that just specials. Though I can see him with a rapid chomping move as a back + air that works in a similar fashion to Mr. G&W

D

Deleted member

Someone on Serebii forums said the stupidest thing ever

Froakie being dark type doesn't make sense because he's a ninja

what the hell do people think ninjas are these days?
Do you really have to ask when Naruto exists, giving a skewed image about what ninjas are about like what One Piece does to pirates?

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Yep, sorry but I quit on Pac Man.

Yes, he has a LOT you can work with to make a moveset, I can't deny that.

However, almost all of it is very bland, and Pac Man would have such a generic fighting style that even Mario has more has more character to his moveset. Seriously, Pac Man would be like taking a bunch of characters that already are in the game and deciding they needed to make a bunch of moves put together for some reason.

Seeing as how I like unique playstyles in smash, this guy can't give me that.

Wii Fit Trainer.

Sakurai would definitely turn him into something fun to play as. Take the whole retro-style cartooniness he uses in Pac-Man World-games (and many moves) and mix it with some unique gimmicks he does in the modern games.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
If you can't tell by my avatar, my day would be made if a Tales Of character got in Smash but only with any kind of chance is Lloyd.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Dammit. I think I remember some user named Shamus but whatever

But in all seriousness and honestly despite the lack of the reveal, the one character I know that fits that description best is.... Spyro :D
Shamus is everyone's favorite Irish hunter!

Lol! Sadly, if Spyro did get it in it might be the horrid skylanders version

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Shamus is everyone's favorite Irish hunter!

Lol! Sadly, if Spyro did get it in it might be the horrid skylanders version
If we are going to get ANYONE from Skylanders it should be gill grunt or Thumpback

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Wii Fit Trainer.

Sakurai would definitely turn him into something fun to play as. Take the whole retro-style cartooniness he uses in Pac-Man World-games (and many moves) and mix it with some unique gimmicks he does in the modern games.

Wii Fit trainer using exercises to attack is pretty cool.

Now tell me what Pac Man does? Take a look as all the special things he does, I can show you other characters in the game that do something similar. Sure, he'll be represented well and have some game related attacks, but I don't see them as anything unique to smash. Sakurai might surprise me however, but I lack the ability to see him having anything that special. I get his iconic status and the fact that he has a good rivalry with Mario (plus the creator of Mario said Pac Man was his favorite character ever or something like that) so this could easily qualify him, but it doesn't mean he'll have an amazing moveset.

If we do get Pac Man however, it would be with the release of the Wii U game more then likely, which many sites say will happen late this month. I betcha after that date passes we may have an answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom