• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I realized in 4 months time we now have nearly half the existing roster present in SSB4.
That is a lot more characters than what was revealed in 4 months time for Brawl.

Now im just throwing this idea out there but, I think in the next 4 - 6 months we'll have maybe a total of 21 to 25 characters. At the rate we have been receiving characters is it possible we'll get the game late Spring early - early to mid summer?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Pac-Man was the Mario of his era (THE icon of gaming in general), in my opinion he is well deserving of a spot in the new smash.
Wrong again. He was the icon of arcade gaming. He still is. Regular console and handheld gaming, he's got nothing on. He is a possible character, but his games just don't hold up overall like the others do.

And he's still one of the best known video game icons to date, better known than Sonic and Megaman.
And besides, the original and Ms. Pac-Man are timeless, I still enjoy them to this day...
All this is irrelevant, if you read what I actually said. His newer games don't hold up to the other 3's newer games. This is why they're in different leagues. Mario, Sonic, and MegaMan hold up as gaming icons for all time as do their games. Pac-Man only holds up during his Arcade points. Anything that's not Arcade, has fell flat. His only relevant appearance was as a guest and that's it. He himself has no relevant new games. Which the rest do. This is why they are not the same type of icons. Pac-Man does not represent gaming as a whole and never did. He just reps Arcade Gaming very damn well. Mario, Sonic, and MegaMan represent Console Gaming and Mario also represents a lot of Arcade Gaming too. He's the only character who really shows off gaming as a whole. Sonic and MegaMan have games among all the variations, being Console, Handheld, and Arcade(PC too, but that's not Gaming-specific, but they also do that, although Pac-Man and MegaMan don't seem to have any PC-specific stuff like the other two did). Pac-Man really only has Arcade Gaming on his side. People give him credit he just doesn't deserve. When did he make Consoles, PC's, or Handhelds notable? The rest did in some way(save MegaMan at best). He only deserves credit for making the Arcade notable, and that's the end of it.

Gaming as a whole had things like Space Invaders first. Pong came first too. Chess was a video game even beforehand. Paccy does a terrible job of repping gaming as a whole, as he doesn't even have a well-received game on all 4 types of platforms(Arcade, PC, Console, Handheld), or even most of that(PC may be an exception for Mario, but the rest...).

If namco had to put one in, it would definitely be pac...
Not really. It could be anyone. Namco-Bandai has a ton of choices. Pac-Man is just one of them. Tales Of is widely received well worldwide and has a ton of games, not just one good one. Tekken and Soul Calibur are the same thing. The only one I could say his games held up better against as a whole is Digimon alone. And that's it. Again, giving him way too much credit that he doesn't deserve.

I didn't even know about the existence of the tales games before I joined Smashboards.
Personal stuff doesn't really make it a common occurrence. A lot of people know about Tales Of, and Tales of Symphonia is the most popular US Tales Of game known.(at least, last information given. May have changed. This is one of the few localized ones, though, that came off well) Tekken is pretty well known too. Digimon has its moments, but I'd say Pac-Man has the better games as a whole in that case. There's been no really freakin' awesome Digimon games to date, so... Soul Calibur's only bad reputation has been sexism-related for the most part. As well as "Let's make everybody hot, or nearly everybody" type stuff. The gameplay is still popular to this day, and only one game received bad ratings, being Soul Calibur Legends. The rest, not so much.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I realized in 4 months time we now have nearly half the existing roster present in SSB4.
That is a lot more characters than what was revealed in 4 months time for Brawl.

Now im just throwing this idea out there but, I think in the next 4 - 6 months we'll have maybe a total of 21 to 25 characters. At the rate we have been receiving characters is it possible we'll get the game late Spring early - early to mid summer?

I feel this way too. Some people are suggesting that the game won't come out for at least another year but I feel that they're revealing enough stuff at a fast enough pace that it won't be likely they'll stall that long. Brawl was pretty much the opposite when it came to promotion. We started getting new stuff a month after the SSB4 was revealed while with Brawl we had to wait 6 months after the Brawl trailer for a new trailer that showed a few new stages and a veteran, before going silent again for another 6 months. It's also well known that Sakurai doesn't like to regularly show games unless he's confident that they're far enough in development to do so and that SSB4 is now less than half a year from being in development for 2 years.

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
I'm always surprised to hear that people genuinely like Pac-Man and want him in Smash. Seriously blows my mind every time I read it. Are those folks hoping for the moving pizza or the walking sun that's like Sonic but even worse?

His newer games don't hold up to the other 3's newer games.
Mega Man joke by somebody else

Come to think of it, Mega Man sets a pretty low standard for relevancy in 3rd parties. Like Snake, but you know, that other kind of relevancy. His games weren't ever too popular even during his prime.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm always surprised to hear that people genuinely like Pac-Man and want him in Smash. Seriously blows my mind every time I read it. Are those folks hoping for the moving pizza or the walking sun that's like Sonic but even worse?
He's a cool character, doesn't make him good for Smash.

Mega Man joke by somebody else

Come to think of it, Mega Man sets a pretty low standard for relevancy in 3rd parties. Like Snake, but you know, that other kind of relevancy. His games weren't ever too popular even during his prime.
Not really. MegaMan's games were well-liked overall. He's had many different ones that got received fairly well. Pac-Man 2 was very badly received as is. Pac-Man World was popular? I can't even find a damn copy of it anywhere. But it wasn't that notable, as you don't hear many people speaking of anything but the original Arcade stuff. If they speak of Paccy at all. MegaMan, Sonic, and Mario have proven to be extremely popular among the fans, with tons of sites dedicated to each of them. Pac-Man? I can't even name a site dedicated to him at all. Or a freakin' wiki... Like I said, I love the guy, but he doesn't deserve hyper credit here.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
I actually thought about the reason behind the daily pic today a bit more. Since it's from the Nintendo Direct footage, that is probably for the ppl who have yet to see the Nintendo Direct and want to get up to speed (no pun to Sonic intended). Doesn't hurt to backtrack sometimes after all.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Megaman has kept his relevance; it's just that there haven't been any official Megaman games in 3 1/2 years. There's been tons of merchandise and cameos since then. I'd also argue that the run away success of Mighty No. 9 (making over 4 million and becoming the third most funded Kickstarter in the site's history) shows that Megaman is still very much in the hearts and minds of modern gamers.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
Toise is back?

This thread may just get interesting. Btw, I'm enjoying the actual debates, no hate on the Swamp vs. Divine thing though. Maybe a little

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
See, this. THIS. This blows my mind into outer ****ing space.
He's had characterization before, is very well known, is pretty popular, as we can tell. What's so hard to believe here?

The main reason he's not my first Namco-Bandai choice is that I think there's characters that have better reasons to be in. Nightmare since he's also a major mascot, but has different kind of sword move potential, and a similar reason for Lloyd Irving from Tales Of. Tekken, I can't think of any specific characters, but we could use a neat Grappler? Digimon themselves are very unique, likewise, Digimon VS Pokemon is actually something fun to bring to the table. I can barely think of a decent moveset for Pac-Man and other than the fact he's well known, there isn't much other reason to put him in. Especially in a Console/Handheld game. He's sweet for an Arcade Fighter, though. Which SSB never really was. Tekken has Arcade-related stuff, same with Street Fighter, so he fits in both of those to a degree. Tekken x Street Fighter plays like an Arcade game, and an Arcade character in there... makes sense, you know?

Starphoenix

How Long Have I Been Asleep?
NNID
GalaxyPhoenix
3DS FC
2122-6914-9465
Very few people legitimately want Pac-Man. Most of the people advocating for him are bandwagon fans brought on by the NeoGAF rumor. He can stay away from the game for all I care. The most I'd consider from Namco is an arcade Pac-Man stage.

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
Megaman has kept his relevance; it's just that there haven't been any official Megaman games in 3 1/2 years.
Ehh, I just don't buy it.

This is a series known for its prolificacy, which now has a severe problem making ANY games due to lack of interest/terrible management/don't know don't care. And as nice as the cameos and Archie comics and that impressive Kickstarter are, I wouldn't use an intangible like passion as a benchmark for relevancy. That's also without mentioning how Mega Man at his best was never remotely as successful as Mario or Sonic, something I think most people aren't entirely aware of.

Not to say that relevancy matters, or should matter, just that... you know.

Toise is back?
Kinda, maybe. Who knows. I've been lurking. TRYING to lurk, I guess, you all know how it is.

What's so hard to believe here?
You will never be cool.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I feel this way too. Some people are suggesting that the game won't come out for at least another year but I feel that they're revealing enough stuff at a fast enough pace that it won't be likely they'll stall that long. Brawl was pretty much the opposite when it came to promotion. We started getting new stuff a month after the SSB4 was revealed while with Brawl we had to wait 6 months after the Brawl trailer for a new trailer that showed a few new stages and a veteran, before going silent again for another 6 months. It's also well known that Sakurai doesn't like to regularly show games unless he's confident that they're far enough in development to do so and that SSB4 is now less than half a year from being in development for 2 years.
With the exclusion of SSE (Which is what i hear caused delays for Brawl) and the reduced ammount of efforts to make CGI cutscenes, the team definitly has a lot more time to devote to other things than if they did have story mode.

Melee took about 15 months i believe, Sakaurai has an increase team size and presumably the same amount of content as Brawl, minus fluff like Master Pieces and SSE. I think mid Q2 at the earliest. Any later could be due to Nintendo holding off the release to prevent droughts or a stronger Fall line-up.

Morbi

Scavenger
With the exclusion of SSE (Which is what i hear caused delays for Brawl) and the reduced ammount of efforts to make CGI cutscenes, the team definitly has a lot more time to devote to other things than if they did have story mode.

Melee took about 15 months i believe, Sakaurai has an increase team size and presumably the same amount of content as Brawl, minus fluff like Master Pieces and SSE. I think mid Q2 at the earliest. Any later could be due to Nintendo holding off the release to prevent droughts or a stronger Fall line-up.
Personally I am looking around there as well. I am leaning more towards the end of Q1 or the beginning of Q2. I doubt it will come out in the fall. Not to mention Namco is helping. Hopefully they take care of the balancing. I said it before, I will say it again. Sora Ltd. wouldn't be able to properly balance Smash if there were only two characters... and they were clones. Leave it to Namco, Sakurai.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791

Yeah. I'm glad more work is being put into the characters than just the Story mode. I felt like everywhere but that was kind of lackluster. The regular stages felt kind of eh. The movesets were widely unbalanced, as were the characters. The options were pretty poor in Brawl, especially the ability to erase specific data, the Target Tests were really really lame, and they made Trophies far harder to get. The other Single Player modes bored me to tears as well. Classic was too long with barely any Bonus stuff to do. And the Bonuses were generic Target Tests instead. All-Star was almost entirely the same going through with only a few differences because of the courses that appear, which doesn't apply for every series.

I really hope they fix Classic and All-Star up. I can see why they were simplified, due to more time being spent on the SSE, but they definitely should return to the Melee-style ones. I like having a minimum of 3 unique Bonus Stages per Classic runthrough, please. :)

Morbi

Scavenger
....either the side effects of my lack of sleep are kicking in once again, or I need someone to fill me in on what's currently going on.
We are just having an intense discussion about how Jigglypuff will return. Most people think she will get a new trailer. I don't agree with them. Jigglypuff is bland, she doesn't deserve her own trailer! She is a veteran. Sakurai said only Newcomers... I guess Sonic is a Newcomer. Either way, Jigglypuff sucks!

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I MEAN EGGS AND SUCH I DIDN'T GET ANY SLEEP GIVE ME A BREAK AND I'M NOT A BALLSACK MY AVATAR IS A BURLAP SACK GIVE ME A BREAK JEEZ

(huff puff)

Anywho-

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.......

Alzi

Smash Master
We are just having an intense discussion about how Jigglypuff will return. Most people think she will get a new trailer. I don't agree with them. Jigglypuff is bland, she doesn't deserve her own trailer! She is a veteran. Sakurai said only Newcomers... I guess Sonic is a Newcomer. Either way, Jigglypuff sucks!

Morbi

Scavenger
OK then that's quite enough. Question time!!!1!

So, which Mega form of Mewtwo do you prefer?
Mega Mewtwo Y.

I like Super Buu and Frieza more than I like Cell and Frieza. Not to mention... X Mewtwo is going to be worthless. Mewtwo's Special Attack has always been one of his best stats. Mewtwo Y feels more like Mewtwo. It has a more cognitive look about it. You can tell he is physic as opposed to Mewtwo X which looks like a purple fighting Pokemon (Machoke).

Reznor

work in progress
so if we get Mewtwo back what do you hope he will be like

normal Mewtwo and final smash is a random megaform
normal Mewtwo that can switch between mega forms at will (like Pokemon Trainer kinda)
Mewtwo Y and Mewtwo X that act like Zelda/Sheik

OK then that's quite enough. Question time!!!1!

So, which Mega form of Mewtwo do you prefer?
Y looks so much cooler

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Mewtwo X is the same height as Ganondorf, and I can really appreciate that.

230cm is like standard villain height or something.

Smashiny

Smash Journeyman
so if we get Mewtwo back what do you hope he will be like

normal Mewtwo and final smash is a random megaform
normal Mewtwo that can switch between mega forms at will (like Pokemon Trainer kinda)
Mewtwo Y and Mewtwo X that act like Zelda/Sheik

Y looks so much cooler

I hope he will be normal mewtwo with his final smash as a random megaform. (also; normal mewtowo, best mewtwo ;) )

Switching between the 3 wouldn't make sense, cause they are his mega forms, making them always "better" than his normal form.
Switching between x and y doesn't work either, cause you'd need normal mewtwo as an intermediate stage.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Eating while you're listening to music is weird because something about chewing opens up your ears so it's like the volume is going up and down and it's pretty annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom