• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
How can you read "Ness was a character up until now" as a hint at his return, lol.
"There’s a character named Ness who has appeared in the Smash Bros. series up until now, and Lucas is very similar. They are from the same family of PK users."

Ambiguous, but the minute I read this, I took it as "Ness is back." You could argue it for either side, and trust me, it was, but at the end of the two year wait, the Ness supporters were right in how they read it and people who kicked Ness out and mocked Ness supporters were assholes.

bobadz

Smash Ace
I haven't cared about Ridley since Brawl days. I just find it so fascinating how people are so damn defensive over something that no one can even prove to begin with. Will he be in? Will he not? Will he be a boss or stage hazard? How should we know to be honest. I just get miffed when I see people flat out get soo defensive over something like this. I saw the backlash Brawl had, and that was not a very fun time.
One of the reasons I left the Ridley thread because of people being defensive over him. If he's not a stage hazard I suspect he'll be an assist trophy.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
So

Blastoise ability doesn't effect ONLY pulse attacks. It also effects Aura attacks

...Blastoise getting AURA SPHERE!?!

Would change my mind of the ability
People are saying Blastoise doesn't have Aura Sphere.

Not only doesn't he have Aura sphere, but the only Pulse or Aura move he has is Water Pulse. I don't think it's confirmed yet

He was screwed over. Such a useless ability

Shroob

Sup?
People are saying Blastoise doesn't have Aura Sphere.

Not only doesn't he have Aura sphere, but the only Pulse or Aura move he has is Water Pulse. I don't think it's confirmed yet

He was screwed over. Such a useless ability
At least Blastoise doesn't lose 50% of his health when switching into Stealth Rocks, unlike Charizard's fancy new forms.

Gamefreak plz. You nerfed Explosion, now nerf Stealth Rocks.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
"There’s a character named Ness who has appeared in the Smash Bros. series up until now, and Lucas is very similar. They are from the same family of PK users."

Ambiguous, but the minute I read this, I took it as "Ness is back." You could argue it for either side, and trust me, it was, but at the end of the two year wait, the Ness supporters were right in how they read it and people who kicked Ness out and mocked Ness supporters were *******s.
If you can read that either way then you can read Sakurai's Pyrosphere blurb either way too.

Could have been a comment at how faithfully they recreated the stage from its source material? Who knows, take your pick, it's ambiguous right? :awesome:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Can't muster up will nor care enough to take you seriously on this thread Chris, but click on the adorable little Ridley icon in my sig and go discuss there.

Shroob

Sup?
If you can read that either way then you can read Sakurai's Pyrosphere blurb either way too.

Could have been a comment at how faithfully they recreated the stage from its source material? Who knows, take your pick, it's ambiguous right? :awesome:
Which is what I said in a previous post. At the end of the day, it's really up in the air. While I don't agree that he'll be in, I'm perfectly fine with others believing he will be, I just hate being jumped on for not believing in his chances. Some people hate religions being shoved in their face, I hate people shoving their opinions as facts in my fact.

Mr.Universe

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1864-9620-1149
Maybe I'm looking WAY into this, but the way that Sakurai calls Mario, Megaman, and Sonic "The Trio" makes it seem like Pac-Man isn't getting in. I mean, I probably shouldn't take his Miiverse Post so literal/seriously but that's just what it seems like to me. I'm fine either way, honestly.

Reznor

work in progress
Maybe I'm looking WAY into this, but the way that Sakurai calls Mario, Megaman, and Sonic "The Trio" makes it seem like Pac-Man isn't getting in. I mean, I probably shouldn't take his Miiverse Post so literal/seriously but that's just what it seems like to me. I'm fine either way, honestly.
he knows that we know Pacman is getting in smash so hes trying to throw us off track

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
DON'T WANNA BE JUMPED ON THAT'S TOO BAD BECAUSE YOU'RE LOOKING LIKE A GOD DAMN DIVING BOARD TO ME AND FROM YOU I'M GONNA HOP INTO THE POOL OF POOPY OPINIONS WE CALL SMASHBOARDS.

*SPLASH*

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Well they are the trio. They're the Tree Kings of Platforming, after all. They're also the 3 biggest names in gaming that have lived out the longest in constant popularity and publicity for 3 different companies. besides, it's not like there was any actual hint of Pac-Man getting in. Sakurai himself hasn't brought him up on his own even once. If this is how it turns out, I'll be happy. I got the big trio I wanted. <3

On a completely different topic, everyone remember this recent pic?

Well yeaaaah...

Reznor

work in progress
Well they are the trio. They're the Tree Kings of Platforming, after all. They're also the 3 biggest names in gaming that have lived out the longest in constant popularity and publicity for 3 different companies. besides, it's not like there was any actual hint of Pac-Man getting in. Sakurai himself hasn't brought him up on his own even once. If this is how it turns out, I'll be happy. I got the big trio I wanted. <3

Well yeaaaah...

ship-it.png

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453

Well yeaaaah...

Like the Lion King vid.

But the two pics....errrm, I think I need some Brain Bleach.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
And why do you automatically assume I don't want Latios to get one?

I don't have to say "Latios AND Latias" since I only like one of the two. XD

I'd expect both to get one and my post I quoted states them both being confirmed.
Uh, fair enough. I may have misread your post there a bit then.

One of the reasons I left the Ridley thread because of people being defensive over him. If he's not a stage hazard I suspect he'll be an assist trophy.
Guess you shouldn't go to ANY character support thread then, because that's what supporters will usually do; defend a character they want.

As for assist trophy, based on Brawl data Ridley was considered for being one at some point but Sakurai obviously changed his mind and made him two bosses at the time instead. Don't see why he would go back to making him an assist trophy now. It seems to be either stage hazard or playable, or maybe boss again, but current evidence points more to the former two.

Oddyesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Oddyesy

Well yeaaaah...

Is my little Nintendo growing up? Is it finally embracing bestiality, as I've tried to teach it all this years? It brings a tear to my eyes... :crying: :crying:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I approve of the purple duo. Interspecies Romance isn't even weird by this point. If Peach and Bowser are anything to go by...

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
I approve of the purple duo. Interspecies Romance isn't even weird by this point. If Peach and Bowser are anything to go by...

Or Sonic and Peach if you remember a few months back. lol

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Today's picture... was kind of inevitable. I knew we were going to get a picture showing off all three at some point.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Today's picture... was kind of inevitable. I knew we were going to get a picture showing off all three at some point.
Well, they're the trifecta of relevant gaming icons that have actual popular games. For that matter, they fully represent a Company each as well, which all have had a history of really goddamn awesome games. Namco-Bandai has had its selection too, no doubt. But some would argue Tales Of, Tekken, or Soul Calibur is way better than Pac-Man, not to mention they're just as popular and relevant. Meaning that Paccy has to go against 3 different series to compete. That's not including Bandai stuff like Digimon, not that that has done well on the Gaming front, though. Pac-Man has nothing on those 3, and his only relevant games are his old arcade ones. The rest had low popularity and didn't go very far. A lot don't even know of Pac-Man 2 or World as a series. Which says a lot. People can point out other relevant Mario and Sonic games. MegaMan has had a ton of well-received games throughout the ages. Legends, ZX, etc. People are only mad at Capcom for not putting MegaMan into MvC3 and for cancelling Legends 3, but otherwise, MegaMan still had a lot going for him. In the last ten years, that is. Which is far more relevant.

If Pac-Man's other games were popular at all, maybe he could be on their level, but he wasn't even among the first set of Games. Pong came before him and helped start the era. I wouldn't dare to call Pac-Man the father of gaming icons, or gaming in general. He represents Arcade Gaming, but Mario still took it further too. Probably the only decently relevant Pac-Man game, where he's playable in, that had any popularity known, was the Mario Kart GP games, and even then, that's because of being in a Mario game. Not by doing it himself. So his notability isn't on their level regardless, and until Pac-Man releases some actual popular games again that isn't a rehash of his arcade games, he'll never reach their level. He deserves credit for making Arcade games, notable, but that's where it ends.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It wouldn't be a fighting game unless someone had a dive kick.
It'd be better if Sonic wasn't using Shadow Rocket, though. Sonic Rocket is a similar move, but he doesn't go downwards. I wouldn't mind if he spun downwards like his Bounce Attack instead. Minus the bounce itself.

Then again, a lot of character use moves from other characters. Ness and Lucas are yet another example.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
It wouldn't be a fighting game unless someone had a dive kick.
Speaking of which, there's a fighting game called Dive Kick where characters can basically literally do nothing but dive kicks. The extreme simplicity of it I guess is to kinda poke fun at some other fighters out there.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Speaking of which, there's a fighting game called Dive Kick where characters can basically literally do nothing but dive kicks. The extreme simplicity of it I guess is to kinda poke fun at some other fighters out there.
Does it have underwater combat where you can kick at least? :awesome:

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
It'd be better if Sonic wasn't using Shadow Rocket, though. Sonic Rocket is a similar move, but he doesn't go downwards. I wouldn't mind if he spun downwards like his Bounce Attack instead. Minus the bounce itself.

Then again, a lot of character use moves from other characters. Ness and Lucas are yet another example.
I always assumed it was the move Sonic used in Sonic Battle Advance

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I always assumed it was the move Sonic used in Sonic Battle Advance
That's Sonic Rocket. He stays fully in the air and doesn't go towards the ground specifically during it. Shadow Rocket is the move Sonic does in Brawl, which is pretty accurate, albeit, the animation is near identical, while the properties of Sonic's Air Down A is a little different.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Does Sonic fly down into the ground during it? Because that's Sonic Rocket, a similar move, which is a stationary aerial move. Shadow Rocket is the same move, but he does an actual dive kick.
I believe it didn't have any affect on his air momentum, meaning he did the motion but it doesn't send you down unless you were already on your way down.
It could be a move alter kinda like what they did for Megamans Up + Air *shrugs*

Speaking of Sonic's moves I hope they replace one of his Spin dash attacks. It's was pretty lame having 2 of the same moves with different inputs

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
... Now part of me wants there to be a Smash mod or something where you can only do a downward aerial on opponents and every character would have the same one (everyone having Capt Falcon's d-air or something, I dunno. One that isn't too broken but looks remotely like a dive kick).

Dive Kick: Smash Bros edition

Would have the most in-depth gameplay ever, ever, ever!

Oh, and you would only be able to dive kick items like Mr. Saturn or Bob-omb instead of being able to pick 'em up and throw, so good luck there!

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I believe it didn't have any affect on his air momentum, meaning he did the motion but it doesn't send you down unless you were already on your way down.
It could be a move alter kinda like what they did for Megamans Up + Air *shrugs*

Speaking of Sonic's moves I hope they replace one of his Spin dash attacks. It's was pretty lame having 2 of the same moves with different inputs
I misread your first post. See my edit. Yeah, it's Shadow Rocket, just slightly different in overall move properties. Shadow Rocket doesn't actually have an impact animation. The hit itself appears more like a weak jab instead of a powerful strike.

Shadow Rocket and Sonic Rocket have a similar type of kick design, but just like in Brawl, Shadow turns around during it and flies downwards. Sonic himself can't do that type of move in any given game on his own. Or with partners. It's nice to see him borrowing from Shadow. Notably, his only unique costume changes his coloring to a darker one. Subtle Dark Sonic reference? :p

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I misread your first post. See my edit. Yeah, it's Shadow Rocket, just slightly different in overall move properties. Shadow Rocket doesn't actually have an impact animation. The hit itself appears more like a weak jab instead of a powerful strike.

Shadow Rocket and Sonic Rocket have a similar type of kick design, but just like in Brawl, Shadow turns around during it and flies downwards. Sonic himself can't do that type of move in any given game on his own. Or with partners. It's nice to see him borrowing from Shadow. Notably, his only unique costume changes his coloring to a darker one. Subtle Dark Sonic reference? :p
Shadow Alt. Costume hinted. :bee:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Shadow Alt. Costume hinted. :bee:
I almost said that, but then I realized that that was probably more of a subtle reference to either Dark Super Sonic, or the fact Sonic has had evil clones among many series. A light reference to Shadow works as well.

His costumes are Black, Yellow, Blue, Green, Red. They're mostly subtle armbands, besides Black, which darkens his fur. All of them can be noted to even Sonic Adventure-like colors. Yellow for Tails, Green for Gamma, Red for Knuckles, Black for Shadow, and blue for himself. I'm guessing they're no Pink color since the usual costumes have shades of Red. Green may just be a reference to Jet instead. Likewise, all of them are major protagonists minus Gamma, while Jet is considered a main character among the series as well. Albeit, only in the Sonic Riders stuff. The other 3 have their own full games.(I have yet to play Knuckles' Chaotix, but I loved Tails Adventure and Shadow The Hedgehog, which were extremely fun games with great gameplay and music. Both had reasonable challenge as well)

Smashiny

Smash Journeyman
Well, they're the trifecta of relevant gaming icons that have actual popular games. For that matter, they fully represent a Company each as well, which all have had a history of really goddamn awesome games. Namco-Bandai has had its selection too, no doubt. But some would argue Tales Of, Tekken, or Soul Calibur is way better than Pac-Man, not to mention they're just as popular and relevant. Meaning that Paccy has to go against 3 different series to compete. That's not including Bandai stuff like Digimon, not that that has done well on the Gaming front, though. Pac-Man has nothing on those 3, and his only relevant games are his old arcade ones. The rest had low popularity and didn't go very far. A lot don't even know of Pac-Man 2 or World as a series. Which says a lot. People can point out other relevant Mario and Sonic games. MegaMan has had a ton of well-received games throughout the ages. Legends, ZX, etc. People are only mad at Capcom for not putting MegaMan into MvC3 and for cancelling Legends 3, but otherwise, MegaMan still had a lot going for him. In the last ten years, that is. Which is far more relevant.

If Pac-Man's other games were popular at all, maybe he could be on their level, but he wasn't even among the first set of Games. Pong came before him and helped start the era. I wouldn't dare to call Pac-Man the father of gaming icons, or gaming in general. He represents Arcade Gaming, but Mario still took it further too. Probably the only decently relevant Pac-Man game, where he's playable in, that had any popularity known, was the Mario Kart GP games, and even then, that's because of being in a Mario game. Not by doing it himself. So his notability isn't on their level regardless, and until Pac-Man releases some actual popular games again that isn't a rehash of his arcade games, he'll never reach their level. He deserves credit for making Arcade games, notable, but that's where it ends.

Pac-Man was the Mario of his era (THE icon of gaming in general), in my opinion he is well deserving of a spot in the new smash.
And he's still one of the best known video game icons to date, better known than Sonic and Megaman.
And besides, the original and Ms. Pac-Man are timeless, I still enjoy them to this day...

If namco had to put one in, it would definitely be pac...
I didn't even know about the existence of the tales games before I joined Smashboards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom