• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Man, this place is going to explode if character reveals suddenly become a weekly thing. Something tells me that, besides the obvious Pokemon reveal next week, we'll get one more for the month that nobody will see coming (my bet is on Lucas/Ness or Marth/Ike). A character reveal on Halloween would be epic but nobody really comes to mind that would suit that day (Ridley? Ashley?).
The scariest confirmation for Halloween is clear: Dr. Mario! :troll:

I mean, c'mon! What's scarier than a doctor who hands out pills on Halloween=??? :rotfl:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
OMG new 3DS Kirby game!

And suplex returns with an awesome new hat

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Well guys, with this reveal, the outlook for Snake and Pac-Man being playable is pretty good.

Man, just think. Mega Man, Sonic, and Pac-Man battling. I would never have dreamed of such an incredible match up before Brawl, let alone it be possible in Smash Bros, especially with mah boi Snake added in! :) BUT MAN, IT IS SOOOOO CLOSE!!!!

/Stops Fangasm
And yeah, Nintendo and Sakurai are clearly working together for these reveals, I very much doubt this is the order they'd be in without Nintendo wanting to promote things.
Co-promoting is clearly a great idea. It hypes up the Nintendo Directs and Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS more. All parties involved win with co-promoting.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Man, this place is going to explode if character reveals suddenly become a weekly thing. Something tells me that, besides the obvious Pokemon reveal next week, we'll get one more for the month that nobody will see coming (my bet is on Lucas/Ness or Marth/Ike). A character reveal on Halloween would be epic but nobody really comes to mind that would suit that day (Ridley? Ashley?).
Oh, come on, you mention those two but not the villain who actually wears Halloween costumes in each new game?!

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Never had a doubt, welcome back Blue Blur, cheers! I'm going to eat my hat if anyone from Brawl is cut, we will have them all!

And now we wait...

Snake! SNAKE! SNAAAKE!

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
What? Luigi was obviously revealed to promote Dream Team first and foremost. If there wasn't a Direct, why wouldn't he just be revealed as close to release as the other characters (Olimar and TL) have been?
Both apply. He was revealed to promote it, and was also revealed on the release date of one of his games.

Luigi was probably planned to be revealed for Dream Team before the Direct was even planned, but when the Direct was formulated, and it was decided to be on the seventh, Luigi was pushed up to then, as it would have much larger reception as part of a Direct. The reveal's date was scheduled around the Direct, not the other way around. It's the same for Sonic. If there was no Direct, chances are the reveal would be closer to the actual release date, like all the others who didn't have a Direct, yet still had a game they were promoting.
Either way, he was revealed on a release date, was he not? That's what I'm saying. It holds up, until Sonic, anyway.

If there was no Direct and he revealed him now, yeah, I'd be surprised too. But he wants to capitalize off the viewership of Directs, so really it's not that surprising.
I don't think the Direct was an important as people are making it. More of a coincidence, at best.

And yeah, Nintendo and Sakurai are clearly working together for these reveals, I very much doubt this is the order they'd be in without Nintendo wanting to promote things.
If it weren't for the directs, I'd expect them to be exactly during a release date like Olimar and Toon Link were. The directs, however, put a wrench in that. I think Sakurai should've waited on Sonic, but perhaps Nintendo forced his hand? People just nerdgasm'd over Toon Link's appearance, and we'd barely have 2 weeks between Toon Link and a possibly Pokemon reveal.

I'm just glad he's back. It was interesting seeing them show off the Sonic Heroes theme of all things, though. Not that it means anything. Maybe Sonic Heroes will be getting a Wii U VC release soon? Maybe Sonic's costumes will be the colors of some of the more notable Sonic characters? Who knows. No, I don't think it means anything, it's just the one I find odd.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I was thinking it is possible we could get a Mario-related character revealed in November (Diddy Kong? Wario? Yoshi? Dr. Mario? [lol] A Mario newcomer?), but yeah, in all likelihood we'll get a Zelda character confirmed next month, and that will be that. Personally, I got a feeling it won't be Ganondorf; he'll be for later.

Also, something tells me that for a long stretch of updates Sakurai wants stages and music to be the focus. Seeing as how we have 17 characters confirmed and a ton of obvious veterans to go, it seems as if Sakurai plans on revealing the veterans at a frantic pace, then he has something planned in between that and the newcomer reveals.
If anything I always hope for a Yoshi reveal, but thats just me. A Mario newcomer is anything I don't want.

Definitely think we'll see a couple new stages this month, we got one already today. I'm not all too sure about music though.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
You guys cannot fathom how REALLY happy I am about an encore appearance of Sonic in Super Smash Bros. You just simply cannot understand, my inner SEGA fanboy is literally having a nerdgasm right now! God damn, I know he's a veteran but come on this is still really exciting!
who are you and what have you done with xenoblazehabanero

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Well guys, with this reveal, the outlook for Snake and Pac-Man being playable is pretty good.

Man, just think. Mega Man, Sonic, and Pac-Man battling.
Ew, no. Just no. Full stop.

I'd be happy for Snake, but no Pac-Man. Seriously.

And I've said this before and I'll say it again, Pac-Man has absolutely nothing to do with those three at all. The three of them at least have a lot of things in common and have been referred to with each other in the same sentence constantly over time. Adding Pac-Man into a sentence with any of them is just random and nonsensical.

We already have Mario, Sonic and Mega Man. THAT is the tri-fecta right there.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885

And I've said this before and I'll say it again, Pac-Man has absolutely nothing to do with those three at all. The three of them at least have a lot of things in common and have been referred to with each other in the same sentence constantly over time. Adding Pac-Man into a sentence with any of them is just random and nonsensical.

You don't think Pac Man is a famous and iconic figure of video games?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Pac Man, unlike the others, didn't get new and extremely popular games throughout the ages. He just isn't in their league.

No, Paccy isn't comparable to that trifecta.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
You are deluding yourself if you think Pac Man isn't an iconic figure in the history of video games

Out of some kind of spiteful bias

He's one of the most famous figures of all

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
Late late, but (west coast) omg dat sonic, those looked like potential combos right?

And OMG a new kirby game! fjsdfksjfdklfjdklfjsdklfjkldsj.....................

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
And I've said this before and I'll say it again, Pac-Man has absolutely nothing to do with those three at all.
Pac-Man is the most well known video game of character of all-time according to many legitimate sources. Yes, even above Mario.

You can't deny that Pac-Man, along with Mario, are the two most recognizable video game characters ever, even with your rabid anti-fanboyism/fanboyism beliefs.

Also, with Namco Bandai developing this game, Pac-Man is an inevitable playable character, regardless of what Sakurai says or you say. It's just how it is.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Pacman wouldn't even be in consideration if Namco weren't developing the game.

Considering they are and he's part of the leak that predicted WFT, I consider him likely, but he'd be riding in entirely on his icon status, not on any desirability as a character.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
You don't think Pac Man is a famous and iconic figure of video games?
I don't even see Pac-Man as an actual character. I can see him as an icon, like a literal "icon", but not a character. I don't care much for how well known he is anyway, even though that's just cause he's the yellow face/dot people see in places that eats stuff.

However, none of that is my point.

The reason Mario, Sonic and Mega Man are brought up together all of the time is because they're basically the three kings of platforming. Their game premises are very similar yet very different and have evolved in different ways alongside each other over time. They all have undeniable similarities and interesting differences that makes people want to see them together, hence why Sonic was in Brawl, why Mega Man got into Smash 4 immediately and why Sonic and Mega Man got a comic crossover canonical to both of their universes in said comics.

Pac-Man has not a single thing in common with them from the stand point of their games or characters. People know what a Pac-Man is, sure, that's true. It's an "icon". So are majority of the Nintendo characters in Smash.

I don't see anyone hankering for a Sonic or Mega Man and Zelda crossover loudly. (Loudly, that is. I know someone out there does want it, though. lol)

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
If anything I always hope for a Yoshi reveal, but thats just me. A Mario newcomer is anything I don't want.

Definitely think we'll see a couple new stages this month, we got one already today. I'm not all too sure about music though.
Well a "Mario newcomer," again, could be related to Yoshi, Donkey Kong (Country), Wario Ware, or Wario Land.

As for Yoshi, eh, I think he'll be revealed around Yoshi's New Island's launch date, or in some direct leading up to that date.

Really though, Yoshi's confirmation isn't as necessary as Luigi's, Toon Link's, or Sonic's confirmation, because it doesn't shut up any haters or morons.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I don't even see Pac-Man as an actual character. I can see him as an icon, like a literal "icon", but not a character. I don't care much for how well known he is anyway, even though that's just cause he's the yellow face/dot people see in places that eats stuff.

However, none of that is my point.

The reason Mario, Sonic and Mega Man are brought up together all of the time is because they're basically the three kings of platforming. Their game premises are very similar yet very different and have evolved in different ways alongside each other over time. They all have undeniable similarities and interesting differences that makes people want to see them together, hence why Sonic was in Brawl, why Mega Man got into Smash 4 immediately and why Sonic and Mega Man got a comic crossover canonical to both of their universes in said comics.

Pac-Man has not a single thing in common with them from the stand point of their games or characters. People know what a Pac-Man is, sure, that's true. It's an "icon". So are majority of the Nintendo characters in Smash.

I don't see anyone hankering for a Sonic or Mega Man and Zelda crossover loudly. (Loudly, that is. I know someone out there does want it, though. lol)
I really don't see why being in the same genre matters when the game is about bringing together icons

The Original Robot boy

Smash Champion
NNID
AzureXeire
3DS FC
0173-2317-7445

Idk Konami is looking more and more riding the sony train

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Personally I'd rather Pac-Man wasn't added, I have very little desire to see him in Smash, but people need to accept the fact that he's a possibility. He's an icon of gaming, he's the mascot of his company, he's crossed over with Nintendo characters before, and he's been on Nintendo platforms many times. He has... some level of popularity, but even if he didn't he has extenuating circumstances, and obviously 3rd parties can get in that way as well.

Sure, there's a more than decent chance he won't make it, but there's also the chance he might. If you deny that, you're just going to be more upset should he be revealed.

All I'm saying is that Sonic is pretty good proof Directs trump other forms of reveals, including reveals close to the date and VC releases or anniversaries (which we still don't know for sure actually effects when a character is revealed). They have a much higher level of reception than a simple update on the site, so obviously Nintendo and Sakurai are going to take advantage of that when they can. Unless the Direct is based primarily around Smash, or at least has more than a veteran reveal, it's unlikely they're scheduled around Smash, they just want to take advantage of their viewership with promotion. Sure, the Directs aren't as important as... a Nintendo conference or something, but they are bigger deals than simple website updates, so yeah, they will be given precedence when it comes to reveals. That's all.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I don't even see Pac-Man as an actual character.
Some people don't see that Canada a country, but it is. Deal with it. Accept reality or embrace your psychotic fantasy world as a reality. Your choice.
The reason Mario, Sonic and Mega Man are brought up together all of the time is because they're basically the three kings of platforming.
And Pac-Man is the Godfather of Platformers, and the original superstar character in the original superstar video game.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I honestly can't wait for Snake. I'm looking forward to the reveal more than the character actually making it back. So many tears. It will be delicious.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Idk Konami is looking more and more riding the sony train
Who cares=??? Seriously, why should this have any effect on Snake's chances of returning=???

Enough of this stupid Nintendo fanboys. These Nintendo fanboys drones need to grow up already, go outside, and realize there's a world outside of Nintendo characters, worlds, and video games in the form of 3rd party companies, characters, worlds, and video games. Nintendo fanboyism drones should turn or burn.

If it does, then Nintendo is chastising a 3rd party, which is a big no-no, considering like Ubisoft, SEGA, Platinum Games, and WB Games are the only 2 major developers supporting their Wii U console, which so far has been nothing short of a disaster. Nintendo needs all the help they can get with the Wii U now currently. They don't have the right to be picky, otherwise the Wii U might end up like the SEGA Saturn: Forgotten, and lost in the shuffle.

I mean with EA looking past the Wii U, Valve not really on the Nintendo hype train anymore, 2k ignoring Nintendo consoles, etc, Nintendo needs all the help they can get with the Wii U, especially in America, which is ultimately the market that decides Nintendo's fate every generation.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
And Pac-Man is the Godfather of Platformers, and the original superstar character in the original superstar video game.
I don't remember Pac-Man being a platformer game... I know he had platform games, but he's known solely because of the arcade game.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Snake is the character I care for the least

I don't care if he gets cut

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Some people don't see that Canada a country, but it is. Deal with it. Accept reality or embrace your psychotic fantasy world as a reality. Your choice.

Okay, now you're just being delusional. Pac-Man isn't exactly primarily known for platforming and it's certainly not how he started out. XD

Look, I know your niche group of Pac-Man fans love him and all, but let's face it. The reality of things is exactly what BKupa666 said. His possibility is relying solely on his old and rather irrelevant "legacy". Not so much on any widespread desire for him.

Whether you can believe it or not, not a lot of people have any desire to see Pac-Man in Smash. I won't say "no one wants him at all" cause that would be silly considering how you and that other person are responding, but the people who do want Pac-Man or even see him as this "amazing icon" rather than just another old retro game are an incredibly small group.

"Well-known" and "well-desired" are two completely different things. People know who Pac-Man is, but he's certainly not popular or largely wanted. He'd just be overlooked with a gigantic "meh".

Seriously, you Pac-Man fans need to stop taking everything as an attack if it isn't what you think or want.

Oh, and lastly:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
All I'm saying is that Sonic is pretty good proof Directs trump other forms of reveals, including reveals close to the date and VC releases or anniversaries (which we still don't know for sure actually effects when a character is revealed). They have a much higher level of reception than a simple update on the site, so obviously Nintendo and Sakurai are going to take advantage of that when they can. Unless the Direct is based primarily around Smash, or at least has more than a veteran reveal, it's unlikely they're scheduled around Smash, they just want to take advantage of their viewership with promotion. Sure, the Directs aren't as important as... a Nintendo conference or something, but they are bigger deals than simple website updates, so yeah, they will be given precedence when it comes to reveals. That's all.
Well, taking a look at Sonic, he was first announced in a direct for For. What makes this notable is that he's a guy who wasn't a beyond obvious return(likely, though). He's a special character, as Sakurai mentioned, since all Third Parties are special.

I don't consider Sonic being announced to mean much for the pattern. I do consider the regular characters to mean a lot. Since Sonic was always special, I don't think it matters that he was announced outside of a release date. Like I said, he's an exception.

I still think there's a pattern around releases, although as I noted before, it's either "To announce a new/big game" or "On the same day a game is released". So far, they hold true, and Luigi adheres to either type of reveal regardless.

As for Pac-Man, as I said before, he is well known, but his new games beyond the original arcade ones(and some of their remakes) just weren't that popular. This isn't that applicable to Mario, MegaMan, or Sonic. They have mixed fans, obviously, but far lesser so in this case. They really aren't in the same category of gaming icons.

Nobody is denying Pac-Man is well known. We're denying he's on the level of the trifecta.(it's true, since there's more to comparable than just being well known) I am really hoping they choose a different person instead of Pac-Man, though. He's not bad, mind you. If nobody else(besides Snake coming back or being replaced with a Belmont comes up) is possible for a fourth Third Party, I'd take him, but I find many other unique choices. I like him, honestly, but not enough to get over other third parties. That is, plausible ones.

...Pac-Man. Platformers. Does not compute. :facepalm: Johnknight1, stop. You don't know what you're saying here. At all. Pac-Man is not a platformer series. Its first platforming games, Pac Man 2: The New Adventures was not very good. At all. King of Arcade games? Hell yes. No denying that. Platformers? You gotta be trolling here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom