• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Okay, now you're just being delusional. Pac-Man isn't exactly primarily known for platforming and it's certainly not how he started out. XD

Look, I know your niche group of Pac-Man fans love him and all, but let's face it. The reality of things is exactly what BKupa666 said. His possibility is relying solely on his old and rather irrelevant "legacy". Not so much on any widespread desire for him.

Whether you can believe it or not, not a lot of people have any desire to see Pac-Man in Smash. I won't say "no one wants him at all" cause that would be silly considering how you and that other person are responding, but the people who do want Pac-Man or even see him as this "amazing icon" rather than just another old retro game are an incredibly small group.

"Well-known" and "well-desired" are two completely different things. People know who Pac-Man is, but he's certainly not popular or largely wanted. He'd just be overlooked with a gigantic "meh".

Seriously, you Pac-Man fans need to stop taking everything as an attack if it isn't what you think or want.

Oh, and lastly:

Isn't it the same for Mega Man and Sonic

When was the last great Mega Man game released? SNES maybe

and Sonic?

Yeah, they are more popular but their popularity comes from their legacy

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I don't remember Pac-Man being a platformer game... I know he had platform games, but he's known solely because of the arcade game.
Let me rephrase that: Pac-Man is the Godfather of video games.

Without him, Mario wouldn't exist. Sonic probably wouldn't exist. He is the first video game superstar. Anyone who says otherwise is an idiot.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357

Without him, Mario wouldn't exist. Sonic probably wouldn't exist. He is the first video game superstar. Anyone who says otherwise is an idiot.
Now that's something I can agree with. He is important in that regard indeed.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Isn't it the same for Mega Man and Sonic

When was the last great Mega Man game released? SNES maybe

and Sonic?

Yeah, they are more popular but their popularity comes from their legacy
Mega Man has had games constantly coming out that have done rather well and are known and talked about. The Zero series, ZX and ZX Advent, the entire EXE and Starforce series (Even thought I don't care much for Starforce), Mega Man 9 and 10 were well recieved, even if they are kinda money milking, and while it's a free fangame, Street Fighter X Mega Man got plenty of positive publicity as well and ended up being sponsored by Capcom. Plus, Mega Man aleays has very well fan games being made that get peoples attention, like Mega Man Unlimited with came out a couple months back.

As for Sonic, that depends on who you are, but PS360 Unleashed (Werehog or not), Colors and Generations have done a fantastic job of bringing people's positive attention back to Sonic after what happened with 06 and things in between.

They're popular and remain popular because they're still relevant and fairly successful in modern times, unlike somebody else.

Look, I'm tired of this, so I'm going to be blunt here.

People know that. There's just one problem.

While that may be undeniably true, when it comes to Smash, who people want to be in it and who is going to sell the game to the majority of the world,

nobody cares.

Or rather, most people don't. If you do, fine. Don't try to force everyone else to, though. Some people just don't care about Pac-Man or want him. Simple as that. They don't hate him, they just don't want him either.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Now that's something I can agree with. He is important in that regard indeed.
Important=??? His impact on gaming makes Snake's and Mega Man's impact on gaming look like ants compared to his skyscraper.

Let me put it to you all this way...

...More people have played the original Pac-Man than all Mega Man and Metal Gear games combined!!!!

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Well, taking a look at Sonic, he was first announced in a direct for For. What makes this notable is that he's a guy who wasn't a beyond obvious return(likely, though). He's a special character, as Sakurai mentioned, since all Third Parties are special.

I don't consider Sonic being announced to mean much for the pattern. I do consider the regular characters to mean a lot. Since Sonic was always special, I don't think it matters that he was announced outside of a release date. Like I said, he's an exception.

I still think there's a pattern around releases, although as I noted before, it's either "To announce a new/big game" or "On the same day a game is released". So far, they hold true, and Luigi adheres to either type of reveal regardless.
Well, I guess we'll see what happens next time a character is revealed in a Direct then.

As for Pac-Man, as I said before, he is well known, but his new games beyond the original arcade ones(and some of their remakes) just weren't that popular. This isn't that applicable to Mario, MegaMan, orSonic. They have mixed fans, obviously, but far lesser so in this case. They really aren't in the same category of gaming icons.

Nobody is denying Pac-Man is well known. We're denying he's on the level of the trifecta.(it's true, since there's more to comparable than just being well known) I am really hoping they choose a different person instead of Pac-Man, though. He's not bad, mind you. If nobody else(besides Snake coming back or being replaced with a Belmont comes up) is possible for a fourth Third Party, I'd take him, but I find many other unique choices. I like him, honestly, but not enough to get over other third parties. That is, plausible ones.
Sure, he's not at the level of Mario, Mega Man, or Sonic. Clearly. If he was he'd actually have been a popular choice before Namco got involved. All I'm saying is he wouldn't just be a "willy-nilly" addition nor would he be some minor/random/unimportant character added. Yes, his peak was long long ago, but Namco still likes him, they still want him used in games and such, and the impact he did have still resonates to some degree, at least to the extent that he is probably the most likely Namco character. If there was some character closest to Mario/Mega Man/Sonic in Namco's stable, it'd be him. By no means am I saying he'll get in. But he has a shot. Personally I wish he didn't. But he does.

Some people don't see that Canada a country, but it is. Deal with it.
What's a Canada?

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
So that explains Dieminion's Guile and his magical Sonic Booms.

Smooth Criminal
Same.
I would rather have Simon Belmont as the Konami character, but that's just me.

But if Snake is added hopefully they nerf him in all the right places.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
They're popular and remain popular because they're still relevant and fairly successful in modern times, unlike somebody else.
Yes, because all characters in Smash Bros are totally relevant. Yep. Star Fox is still relevant despite not having a million unit plus selling game in over a decade. :rolleyes: F-Zero is still relevant despite not having a game in almost a decade. :rolleyes: MOTHER is still relevant despite not having anything since 2006. :rolleyes: Ice Climber is still relevant despite not having a game in several decades. :rolleyes: Game & Watch is still relevant despite doing nothing in forever. :rolleyes: Roy is still relevant despite not having a major role in a game for over a decade. :rolleyes: ROB is still relevant despite not having his own game in over a quarter century. :rolleyes:

Obviously Pac-Man can't be relevant because his game is old and super popular, and because he has a children's show on the Disney Channel. Yep.
While that may be undeniably true, when it comes to Smash, who people want to be in it and who is going to sell the game to the majority of the world,

nobody cares.
There's a problem with this logic: The majority of the world won't play a Smash Bros game, and of the people that do, the majority don't care about it. True facts. Deal with it.

Now you did have a good opinion in mind when you said that most smash bros fans don't care if Pac-Man is added. However, certainly Pac-Man in the game would attract a lot of new games or historical gamers who would be interested in seeing or playing such a character with the likes of Mario, Sonic, and Mega Man.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Well, I guess we'll see what happens next time a character is revealed in a Direct then.
Yeah. I'm glad he's not following one direct pattern(pun not intended) at least.

Sure, he's not at the level of Mario, Mega Man, or Sonic. Clearly. If he was he'd actually have been a popular choice before Namco got involved. All I'm saying is he wouldn't just be a "willy-nilly" addition nor would he be some minor/random/unimportant character added. Yes, his peak was long long ago, but Namco still likes him, they still want him used in games and such, and the impact he did have still resonates to some degree, at least to the extent that he is probably the most likely Namco character. If there was some character closest to Mario/Mega Man/Sonic in Namco's stable, it'd be him. By no means am I saying he'll get in. But he has a shot. Personally I wish he didn't. But he does.
I don't know if he'd even be their first choice. I'd honestly go with a Tales of or Tekken character. A lot of Mario and Zelda costumes are in a Tekken game. Soul Calibur also had a crossover. I see both them all as viable, respectively, at this time. As well as Digimon stuff, since Mon VS Mon works. Of course, I can't think of anything to promote Digimon-wise with the latest season already out(and not looking good, since it has a serious Schedule Slipping).

Of course he has a shot, I doubt anyone thinks he never had one. But I don't think he's really the best choice they can make. Going off of icon status alone isn't a good idea. Going off of icon status combined with awesome moveset potential(Pac-Man is a bit lacking here, since while he has moves from his various games, he just seems a bit too dull, and most of his moves come from games that didn't go well. Sonic, MegaMan, and Mario don't have this issue).

What's a Canada?
Wolverine: That was cold, bub. :troll:

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Nothing keeps him beating him faster
Guile should be using that on Bison.

Then he'd save the planet from disaster.

Important=??? His impact on gaming makes Snake's and Mega Man's impact on gaming look like ants compared to his skyscraper.

Let me put it to you all this way...

...More people have played the original Pac-Man than all Mega Man and Metal Gear games combined!!!!
Okay, are you going to take this seriously or not? You're sounding more like a fanboy with a raging boner spouting out things baselessly than someone trying to legitimately prove a point or back up any statements.

Calm down for a moment.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Mega Man has had games constantly coming out that have done rather well and are known and talked about. The Zero series, ZX and ZX Advent, the entire EXE and Starforce series (Even thought I don't care much for Starforce), Mega Man 9 and 10 were well recieved, even if they are kinda money milking, and while it's a free fangame, Street Fighter X Mega Man got plenty of positive publicity as well and ended up being sponsored by Capcom. Plus, Mega Man aleays has very well fan games being made that get peoples attention, like Mega Man Unlimited with came out a couple months back.

As for Sonic, that depends on who you are, but PS360 Unleashed (Werehog or not), Colors and Generations have done a fantastic job of bringing people's positive attention back to Sonic after what happened with 06 and things in between.

Look, I'm tired of this, so I'm going to be blunt here.
Received well by fans, but how many of those games sold well to the general audience?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
A hell of a lot better than any of Pac-Man's newer games, if that's where you really wanna go with this. ¦D
No, did they do good overall. Enough that if someone that never played the games of the past and didn't grow up with Sonic or Mega Man would remember them as icons from JUST what they accomplished in modern times

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
The Pac-Man remake/releases as of late have been extremely well-received by fans and critics alike, and have sold like hotcakes.
Okay, are you going to take this seriously or not? You're sounding more like a fanboy with a raging boner spouting out things baselessly than someone trying to legitimately prove a point or back up any statements.
It is a fact. Well over 3 billion US dollars has been earned by the first Pac-Man game, and that is a fact.

That is over 12 billion US quarters, and the estimates of people who have played Pac-Man are in the hundreds and hundreds of millions. It is a fact.

Facts don't have emotions: just truths revealed.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ

Calm down for a moment.
You're on the wrong thread to have a serious discussion.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
No, did they do good overall. Enough that if someone that never played the games of the past and didn't grow up with Sonic or Mega Man would remember them as icons from JUST what they accomplished in modern times
*repeats the previous post he said*

The Pac-Man remake/releases as of late have been extremely well-received by fans and critics alike, and have sold like hotcakes.

It is a fact. Well over 3 billion US dollars has been earned by the first Pac-Man game, and that is a fact.

That is over 12 billion US quarters, and the estimates of people who have played Pac-Man are in the hundreds and hundreds of millions. It is a fact.
That's nice and all, but he still hasn't had anything recent of any relevance or importance. The past is nice to remember, but it'll always be just the past.

What does Pac-Man have right now that other people would strongly desire? Not much, if you ask me.

Facts don't have emotions: just truths revealed.
Yes, and people die if they are killed.

Courage is the magic that turns dreams into reality.

The road to evil is paved with good intentions.

Every town has an Elm Street.

Don't take your harp to the party.

And whatever you do, don't say Candleja

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
You're on the wrong thread to have a serious discussion.
...who the heck are you to talk=???

You have contributed nothing of value.

This is why I retired from this thread: the lot of you are stupid fanboys talking about stupid fanboy Nintendo ball sucking crap instead of the actual game.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
It's extremely hypocritical that Johnknight constantly states we play as characters not popularity polls, and here he is badgering constantly that Pac-man will get in because he's an iconic figure.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
ajkskfjghfjkasdgfjkfghlsdghhgbgjhgfhjkgfh gfls AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Smooth Criminal

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
It's extremely hypocritical that Johnknight constantly states we play as characters not popularity polls, and here he is badgering constantly that Pac-man will get in because he's an iconic figure.
Not really. Wave said Pac-Man didn't matter, I brought up facts that state that he does, and Wave does not accept facts, and instead, shoots out his opinions as if they are above facts.

If you want to talk about gameplay, I got no idea what Pac-Man could do, other than be a totally random out of the world zonky "empty shell" character (largely) with a ton of historic moves and moves from Pac-Man World.

Also, isn't it extremely hypocritical that Xeonbloade Chronicles defend relevancy after making the "muh relevancy" phrase=???

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
That's nice and all, but he still hasn't had anything recent of any relevance or importance. The past is nice to remember, but it'll always be just the past.
You act as if the past doesn't influence anything or matter in smash. And alas, recent characters aren't the only ones that are added.

The Mega Man in Smash has starred in 2 games in the past 4 or 5 years, and 1 about a decade old. All his other major titles are over or nearly 2 decades old. Game & Watch hasn't stared in a huge game in over 25 years. The Ice Climbers haven't even been the main character of a remotely memorable game ever. The same is true of ROB. Does that make them irrelevant to where they shouldn't matter=???

Really, you are argue "muh relevuncy" all day, but it doesn't make you anymore wrong that relevancy doesn't matter in terms of timeliness.

Besides, if you want a real debate, then debate about what Pac-Man can do as a playable character. His super iconic status definitely will earn him strong considerations, but if a feasible and fun moveset, skillset, and playstyle can't be made that is better than the top candidates that aren't playable, then Pac-Man won't be playable.
What does Pac-Man have right now that other people would strongly desire? Not much, if you ask me.
No one asked anyone, so therefore, no one cares about what you have to say about it.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Dude, I was kidding. Don't piss your pants over it.
This. Don't be a jerk to AuraSage94 here. There's really no reason to act like this towards people over nothing, Johnknight1. Actually, there's no reason to act like that towards anyone.

Please calm down.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Would it be too much if I asked you guys to drop the current topic? (-_-)
I tried turning it into a gameplay discussion about how Pac-Man would play, what his moveset would be like, what his playstyle would be like, and what his skillset would be like, and his potential strengths and weaknesses, but no one wants to discuss that. The whole point of this was to test you all in regards to what matters (GAMEPLAY! GAMEPLAY! GAMEPLAY!), and clearly, no one wants to jump in.

THE CHAMP tries to rile people up for gameplay discussion, and no one takes the bait time after time. Meanwhile, I drop one hint of "relevancy" debates, and everyone loses their freaking minds and jumps all over me even though all I did was state facts.

That shows that these boards and this thread are run by nothing but stupid fanboys, idiotic anti-fanboys, and moronic character speculations. Honestly, if it were up to me, I would ban all character speculation aside from gameplay talks.

I guess no one else plans on playing these 2 forthcoming games for thousands of hours like I do. Instead, they want to talk about stupid popularity contests.

This thread is just like all the character threads: it sucks. C'ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom