• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
How could anyone say Mario was in any way ruined with the way Galaxy 1 and 2 turned out? Galaxy 2 was one of the best game experiences for me...like ever! I admit the 2D games are running a little stale, but I have yet to be disappointed in any way by a 3D Mario game. Sunshine is like, the #1 feel good game of all time.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Even the 2D Mario's still have enjoyable elements with them, I just wish they would take more risks with them

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
It's true that they do, and I wholeheartedly agree. I had a ton of fun with NSMB2 (Those cannon warp levels are like insane. Jeez.) I just find it difficult to play NSMBU right now, because I literally just finished a similar game. What sort of risks would you have them try?

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
Rosalina, only character in mario with a story

edit: NSMBU was better then I thought it was going to be

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Mario's been fine with me, it's just all the rehashes with the NSMB series and maybe Galaxy 2. As for him in Smash, I'd miss him, his moveset bar Brawl has always been a lot of fun, and every fighting game needs a Ryu.

Don't really care about the spin-offs now that MK7 is out, I'd just wish they'd space the releases out more, in this year alone we'll have another Luigi's Mansion, Golf, Party, Mario & Luigi, and possibly a new Wii U game and MK8.

Honestly all I want to see right now is a few more risks being taken like a Doki Doki Panic sequel, Wart returning as the main villian in Dream Team, a 2d platformer that's not apart of the NSMB series, playable characters in a 2d platformer to have different abilities, a Wario & Waluigi spin-off, and for the new Mario 3D game to take another risk like Sunshine.

Also I feel we need another Wario Land sometime soon (VB Wario Land spiritual successor on 3DS?), with another DKC with K.Rool & Dixie very soon after.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
There are people at NeoGAF and the gaming media in general saying Nintendo ditching a E3 conference is a bad move, because E3 conferences get the most mainstream coverage, while only Nintendo fans and Nintendo specific media pay attention to the Nintendo Directs.

I really don't like this era for video games. PlayStation fanbrats rule the day.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I'm pretty sure if news about Nintendo Direct stuff crops up on gaming sites like IGN, Destructoid, Gamespot, Gametrailers, and such, a lot of people are going to know about it anyway. I mean the Wii U and 3DS conferences that revealed varies titles didn't exactly slip past the radar.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
There are people at NeoGAF and the gaming media in general saying Nintendo ditching a E3 conference is a bad move, because E3 conferences get the most mainstream coverage, while only Nintendo fans and Nintendo specific media pay attention to the Nintendo Directs.

I really don't like this era for video games. PlayStation fanbrats rule the day.
Eh. So true. PlayStation fanboys are a primary source of frustration these days. I disagree about it being a bad move though, for sure. Look how much coverage LTTP 2 got when they revealed it. That was all over everywhere! If they do a Smash-centric Nintendo Direct next (which I'm predicting) then it's going to get ALL of the coverage. All of it.

I honestly think it's a bold move by them, and sort of a way to say that big conferences don't need to be the reveal method anymore.

bobadz

Smash Ace

They seem to forget that the ps4 was revealed during a stream, and so will the next xbox next month. What a buch of hypocrites.

D

Deleted member

ChronoBound said:
I don't see why they would want to attack Nintendo so much. I mean, wouldn't they want to more likely go after Microsoft instead given that it's much more similar to them? They consider Nintendo so different that it's not even worth mentioning, so why do they care about Nintendo in the first place?

I remember hearing these same people defending the hack on the PlayStation online that revealed serious private information about people back in 2011.

This also reminds me that some people on GameFAQs act like these biased political junkies who will only see the positive of their candidates of choice while ignoring the negatives that their candidate may possess.
It's why I try to avoid posting in the GameFAQs Wii-U thread at all costs.

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Really? I would have thought it'd be 360 fans since the PlayStation brand isn't all that strong today with the PS3 being in 3rd place & the Vita selling like the Wii U(?)?

Personally all I've seen are 360s the past few years, everyone who plays games in my dorm room, bar myself & my retro systems, plays the 360, and our campus arcade has nothing but 360s now. All I ever see anymore are people playing Call of Duty and like-minded shooters.

Have only seen Nintendo fanboys on specific sites, everywhere else they're in a minority (along with other Japanese publisher fans). Only general non-specific gaming site I've seen that has a true neutrality to the console wars is Screwattack.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
How could anyone say Mario was in any way ruined with the way Galaxy 1 and 2 turned out? Galaxy 2 was one of the best game experiences for me...like ever! I admit the 2D games are running a little stale, but I have yet to be disappointed in any way by a 3D Mario game. Sunshine is like, the #1 feel good game of all time.
Galaxy 1 and 2 were great, but the problem is that Mario has been getting very stale and borderline bland. Galaxy 1 was a great game and a bag of chips. Then Galaxy 2 went and improved on what Galaxy 1 did (minus replacing Rosalina with the purple Patrick), but you could see that they're feeling so scared to make Mario anything more than a linear game lately.

Mario's been fine with me, it's just all the rehashes with the NSMB series and maybe Galaxy 2. As for him in Smash, I'd miss him, his moveset bar Brawl has always been a lot of fun, and every fighting game needs a Ryu.

Don't really care about the spin-offs now that MK7 is out, I'd just wish they'd space the releases out more, in this year alone we'll have another Luigi's Mansion, Golf, Party, Mario & Luigi, and possibly a new Wii U game and MK8.

Honestly all I want to see right now is a few more risks being taken like a Doki Doki Panic sequel, Wart returning as the main villian in Dream Team, a 2d platformer that's not apart of the NSMB series, playable characters in a 2d platformer to have different abilities, a Wario & Waluigi spin-off, and for the new Mario 3D game to take another risk like Sunshine.

Also I feel we need another Wario Land sometime soon (VB Wario Land spiritual successor on 3DS?), with another DKC with K.Rool & Dixie very soon after.
Wart showing up in Dream Team would be a gigantic twist.

well, the new teen titans show is pretty funny, but there is no story
And from what we've seen so far, it works. I'm not saying that Mario needs a Final Fantasy type story. Rather, there's so much potential in the Mario mythos that is never expanded on. Rosalina's story was a really good way to add some depth to the setting of Galaxy 1. Supposedly, the guy that wrote it, late at night by himself, wants to make it into a children's story book. Only one copy has been made for him. I think it'd be a hit.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Really? I would have thought it'd be 360 fans since the PlayStation brand isn't all that strong today with the PS3 being in 3rd place & the Vita selling like the Wii U(?)?

Personally all I've seen are 360s the past few years, everyone who plays games in my dorm room, bar myself & my retro systems, plays the 360, and our campus arcade has nothing but 360s now. All I ever see anymore are people playing Call of Duty and like-minded shooters.

Have only seen Nintendo fanboys on specific sites, everywhere else they're in a minority (along with other Japanese publisher fans). Only general non-specific gaming site I've seen that has a true neutrality to the console wars is Screwattack.
Sony fans are pretty much dominant on gaming specific websites (GameFAQs, NeoGAF, maybe IGN). In the real world, you are right that Microsoft has the lion's share of casuals. However, for the past several months the PS3 has been selling closely to what the 360 has been selling in North America on a monthly basis.

You are right that Nintendo fans are a minority now. I remember back as recently as 2006 Nintendo fans were the largest faction on GameFAQs (with the only other fanbase rivaling them being Square fans).

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Why? Aren't most games on the system also for PC, which is always the superior version?

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Mario's moveset is among the 5 or so best basic moveset archetypes in smash IMO. It's unique, versatile, fun to play, fun to watch, and makes the game and the balance of the game and it's characters very interesting.

As for a character, he's the first video game character I saw, knew, or played as. He's in many instant classics, and he's the icon of gaming. The only thing I dislike about him are the Mario Baseball games he's in (kinda boring) and the fact that the NEW SMB games don't "feel" like Mario games (they feel kinda loose, kinda like Super Mario Sunshine). Literally, that's the best "complaints" I could come up with, which shows how much I love THE GREAT GONZALEZ!!!
Now, if FLUDD Mario was removed I would be ecstatic. FLUDD was a dumb addition to his moveset and it really needs to go.
FLUDD could be really great, but the lack of damage or any real knockback makes it literally (yes, this is the right usage of it GOLDEN worse than worthless, because without it, Mario can't use his old down air (which was a very useful move, especially in Smash 64). Seriously, Mario's old down air should be his Z-air (and every character should have a Z-air).

If Mario's FLUDD did incredible knockback to where it could gimp a ton of characters with great recovery or if it did damage/stunned foes, it would be an incredible weapon to use a few times in a match, much like Wario's farts or Samus' charge beam.
Why? Aren't most games on the system also for PC, which is always the superior version?
False, Steam Box is best (the idea of a console where you can take out the hard drive and processor and replace them is simply genius, and very affordable).

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Wart showing up in Dream Team would be a gigantic twist.
If he shows up as the main villain, the game will be a must buy for me. Honestly it just makes better sense given the theme to use him over Bowser (not that he shouldn't play a role in the game) and some original one-shot villain.

Sony fans are pretty much dominant on gaming specific websites (GameFAQs, NeoGAF, maybe IGN). In the real world, you are right that Microsoft has the lion's share of casuals. However, for the past several months the PS3 has been selling closely to what the 360 has been selling in North America on a monthly basis.

You are right that Nintendo fans are a minority now. I remember back as recently as 2006 Nintendo fans were the largest faction on GameFAQs (with the only other fanbase rivaling them being Square fans).
Going to be interesting how their new consoles turn out. Based on the Vita, $5 says the new systems will never get as much heat as Nintendo has for the 3DS & Wii U.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Nintendo's move to do that is both good and bad. It's bad in the short-term in that they won't attract as many eyes to their event, and if this is just a one-off thing, it makes no sense. However, if it's a long-term thing, this is a great move. Nintendo won't have to pay huge fees to appear at E3 (E3 was gonna die some day, and maybe Nintendo will be the 1st to push it), and Nintendo's own event over the years will attract many eyes, and perhaps Nintendo and 3rd party Nintendo console developers could be the full focus, which could be a potential huge boost in marketing (which is what events are ALL ABOUT!!!).
The PS3 and 360 are pretty close to the same amount of sales. It looks like the PS3 will pass the 360 this year or next year in sales. Considering the PS3's slow start, that is a minor miracle. With the Vita seemingly beginning to turn around, Sony is slowly getting their stuff together (despite the Vita not competing with the 3DS). Now if only the PS4 announcement was so snore-worthy, but hey, at least their PS4 plan seems to be shaping up well.

1. That isn't just PlayStation fanbrats saying that, but fans who want these major gaming conferences all to be together in one package to make it easier to digest. After all, everyone wants to cook their food in the kitchen, not in the kitchen, bathroom, garage, attic, and bedroom. :grin:
2. It's NeoGAF, honestly. It's barely a step above GameFAQs. If you want real Nintendo news, stick to just real journalists.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Here is a good off-topic discussion:

If you could only keep one game console, what console would you keep?

There are few rules with this:
- Pirated games on a console don't count (so this rules out the PSP for a lot of people).
- Backwards compatability and official peripherals (like the Super Game Boy and Game Boy Player) can be used to factor into your library decision.

For me it would be a toss-up between the Super Nintendo (with the Super Game Boy) and GameCube (with the Game Boy Player).

Its really difficult. Super Nintendo has my favorite library of all time for a game console and its my favorite game console of all time, however, the GCN is really competitive through the GCN library, the Game Boy Player, the ports of the N64 Zeldas, and Animal Crossing packing in a few NES gems.

For those who don't know, the Super Game Boy is an official peripheral that you able to play Game Boy and most Game Boy Color (the only GBC games it could not play were the ones in the clear cartridges) on the Super Nintendo. The Game Boy Player is an official peripheral for the GameCube that allowed you to play Game Boy, Game Boy Color, and Game Boy Advance games.

So its pretty much my SNES + GB + most of my GBC library vs my GCN + GB + GBC+ GBA library.

Pretty difficult.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ Sir Chrono
PC wins easily. So many great games, so much to do, and so much time well spent gaming! :shades:

But if we're not talking the PC, probably my GameCube with the GameBoy Advance Player (which I have been missing the disc for it for over 10 years, which sucks, because I lost my copy of Golden Sun: The Lost Age in it, and I was so close to having everyone at level 100!).

Just all the raw GameBoy games (Tetris, Mega Man I-V, all the Pokémons, Mega Man Battle Network, Final Fantasy Advance Tactics, various Zelda games, the DKC1-3 GBA ports, all the NES and SNES games that were ported to the GBA, various Fire Emblem games, Golden Sun games, Mario sports games, Mario Kart Advance) and the addition of Melee (the best game ever IMO), Resident Evil 4, Metroid Prime 1 and 2, the Wind Waker, my Zelda collection (the original and best Legend of Zelda, Zelda II, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask), Twilight Princess, Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, Mario Kart Double-Dash, Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour, Sonic Adventure 2, Tales of Symphonia, Super Mario Sunshine, etc. etc. etc... I got so many great games for it.

Plus the GameCube controller is amazing and IMO is still the best controller. I just wish the Z-button was bigger and there were two of them, it had a home button, a start button, and another center-ish button, and the B button was bigger (oh and the control pad was more functional).
Shocker.

/sarcasm

Smooth Criminal
Right as I started watching Green Lantern...
IT WAS CANCELLED!!!
MY EMOTIONS!!!! :urg:
Funny that the Character Discussion (that I made the 9,0001st post on) died the day I posted on here for the first time in months.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Nintendo 64 or SNES. I can't live without my Banjo. Honestly not a tough pick for me. My GC comes in third, since I *do* own a Gameboy Player.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
PC does not count, and for consoles that offer to sell classic games, you can only factor in the classic games you already own or intention to buy on that console (as in the classic games you already own on the Wii or intend to buy for it).

So if you just say "pfft I pick the Wii because I can download games through the VC", keep in mind that you would have to buy those games you want under this scenario (if you don't already have them on your Wii).

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Johnknight1 confirmed Darknight1. Brings terror into the hearts of threads! :awesome:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I just learned how distinguishing and disturbing ducks were

Do not look up facts about ducks

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Why are you making me choose between my SNES and GCN? I love them both like they are my own children.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I choose SNES

I skipped most of the Gamecube era. I have no nostalgic memories

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
PC does not count, and for consoles that offer to sell classic games, you can only factor in the classic games you already own or intention to buy on that console (as in the classic games you already own on the Wii or intend to buy for it).

So if you just say "pfft I pick the Wii because I can download games through the VC", keep in mind that you would have to buy those games you want under this scenario (if you don't already have them on your Wii).
PC counts in my book. :shades: I got my Total Wars games, my Civilization games, my Age of Empire games, my Valve games, my F2P games, my GTA games, etc. Add in online that is vastly superior to anything on consoles and nearly infinite content made by fans for many of those games, and you're set for life.

But yeah, a console for all the games you can get for it plus extensions goes to the Wii, PS3, or GameCube IMO. As for just games on one console purely, I'd go with the N64 PS2 NES Super Nintendo.
Johnknight1 confirmed Darknight1. Brings terror into the hearts of threads! :awesome:
Fear my leer, all villains, far and near, and know that the hero is here, of SmashBoards and everything that is steers and his mere presence brings many posters to tears.

I am Johnknight1 to the max, so it is time to relax, for I am driving this ship until I decide to crash to get out of a tax because paying them requires wax and to that I say "HAXXXSSS!!!"

No pain
No game
Poop stain
Pit's moveset is lame.
I rhyme to get ride of your blame for your shame
that you say "hey this is my Rosebud and I'm Citizen Kane."

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Going to be interesting how their new consoles turn out. Based on the Vita, $5 says the new systems will never get as much heat as Nintendo has for the 3DS & Wii U.
Yeah, I noticed that too. The gaming media has not been as harsh on the Vita as when they were when 3DS was not doing well or the Wii U is doing now.

If the next X-Box and PlayStation 4 have a rough post-holiday period then things will be very interesting from the gaming media.

bobadz

Smash Ace
Yeah, I noticed that too. The gaming media has not been as harsh on the Vita as when they were when 3DS was not doing well or the Wii U is doing now.

If the next X-Box and PlayStation 4 have a rough post-holiday period then things will be very interesting from the gaming media.
This reminds me, when EA won worst company in America for the second time, Kotaku (the blog that thinks its a gaming news site and where journalistic integrity goes to die. Though you could say that about all game journalists.) made a big week of mass effect series articles for their site.
It pretty much the most blatant damage control ever.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Bowserlick: I'm not a pig.

Nope, I'm not a horse either.

On Mario: Mario's still the mascot, there's something deeply and I mean, DEEPLY wrong if he's not featured. We could also say goodbye for other Mario-reps by that regard too.

Many though hit the right mark about saying Mario's been playing too safe lately, taking somewhat small liberties which results in this... wholegrainish experience. It's still good stuff, but it makes you get fed up quick. After MK7 which got old after few months due pointless online and somewhat wierd item balance (and dear GOD Maka Wuhu Glitch which is gone now) I have never touched it ever again: In fact I went back to Mario Kart Wii because at least it has still active and a competitive online. And I didn't touch any other Mario-spinoff after that...

Wii-games didn't ruin Mario to me though: actually COMPLETELY OPPOSITE. If it wasn't for SMG2, I wouldn't ever have truly gone back to mainstream Mario-games (though to find later that they're that wholesome experience overall. NSMBW I forgive because it was the first one of them, but after that...)

I just hope they'd try going to NEW HEIGHTS. Like with Super Mario Galaxy, or hell, look for new places to go ala Super Mario World. And somehow try to give a new spin to Mario-formula which is getting truly stale to me now... and it's crazier that they need to now make the different Mario-experiences same as mainstream ones (Paper Mario Sticker Star). It's like I can't escape Mario's gameplay-ideal world that is void with memorable characters or at least some kind of a WORLD which we're playing in.

But yeah, my pet peeves with Mario overall. Ah wait, Nintendo doesn't think characters as characters, they're just either gameplay elements or gimmicks of all sort (plot device, helper, etc)

Nintendo Directs: My hype-level is now in rock-bottom at the moment, but I might think it's a good move to keep the announcements now in Nintendo Direct, since Microsoft and Sony are going to showcase their new consoles or something else big, which might just prove bad for Nintendo at this rate. Along the way they're now just catering to their fans instead of just all of the audience, which could mean we get more of the wishful game ideas being announced.

D

Deleted member

360 fans don't exist bro. They went exting after all of the Redrings, and the lack of decent exclusives in the recent years.

Xbawks also doesn't have a Japanese market, Sony fanboys on the other hand... Oh lord.

Oh, on Mario btw. I meant that he was ruined as a character, not a franchise. Galaxy 1 and 2 are on par with SM64 in overall quality, nowhere near Sunshine, but still good.

However, his character in Galaxy is just... Egh. I know he doesn't have much character, but it's the little things man, the little thing are what matter with Mario, and a lot of it is now missing somehow.

M&L Mario and Smash Melee Mario are still the best Marios.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Don't know why anyone would be a fan of the Xbox at this point considering that most of the "exclusives" are also available on PC to. It seems kind of redundant at this point.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Manly: Mario was always this everyman, and his characterization insists of him being as flexible as to let as many people access him as possible. Hence why he's so likeable to everyone. So pfft, Mario having a personality. The least instances of that might be from animated stuff (which shows him as pretty hungry fellow and such.)

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
Here is a good off-topic discussion:

If you could only keep one game console, what console would you keep?

There are few rules with this:
- Pirated games on a console don't count (so this rules out the PSP for a lot of people).
- Backwards compatability and official peripherals (like the Super Game Boy and Game Boy Player) can be used to factor into your library decision.
Hmmm...

N64, SNES, Genesis and GCN are all some of my favorite consoles... but honestly I would keep my PS2 under those constraints because of all of the games I could play on it

Tekken, arcade compilations (Midway Arcade Treasures 2, Namco Museum, Sonic Mega Collection Plus and Ultimate Sega Genesis Collection), GTA: Vice City, GTA: San Andreas, PS1 RE games, DBZ: Budokai 1 and 3, MK: Shaolin Monks, etc.

Only things I honestly like about the 360 is Live (much better than PSN even with the price) and its controller (dem triggers feel so good on the fingers)

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I have always been primarily a Nintendo fan first and a Sony fan second. I loved both the Marios, Zeldas, Metriods and Donkey Kong Countrys as well as the Crashs, Spyros, Ratchet&Clank and Uncharteds. The only time I have ever considered getting an Xbox was when i saw this:
but that urge quickly went away when the game came out.

Xbox has been largely (and this is first time I'm ever going to use this word) irrelevant to me. If I can get all the same multiplats on my PS3/PS4 in addition to Sony's larger and more varied exclusive line-up then it's pointless to get Xbox who mainly thrives on Halo, Gears and CoD.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
On the subject of Mario, Super Mario World <3 <3 <3

Still my favorite 2D Mario game

Horsetail hit the nail on the head on how Nintendo thinks of its characters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom