• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
THANK YOU!

KH was cool when we were angsty prepubescent 14 year olds. Now there is literally nothing in that series worth a damn.

360 was actually a better console than the PS3, but PS3 had better exclusives.
I like KH because I know it's hammy as hell.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
The 360 was easier to program for, Sony's Cell processor was a DUMB ****ing move. It was difficult to work with and had strange architecture. Also, there have been tests comparing the overall performance of both console and the 360 beats out the PS3 in most cases. Sony just had good marketing (especially with their whole, "with enough PS3 you build and nuke or w/e") and Sony fanboys are very vocal.
The cell processor was more advanced, but it was foreign to most developers. At it's best it ran circles around the 360, but it was rarely used in that way by 3rd parties.
But even looking at exclusives, compare the loading times in games like Halo3, to MGS4.
For starters, Halo 3's graphics are so inferior in graphics it's hilarious, and Halo never has quite as much happening as MGS4. Continuing on the topic of graphics, the human faces in Halo 3 are some of the worst faces I have seen in a video game on a console since the 5th generation of gaming. I don't know who made the faces for the human characters, but they must have either designed their faces to look like the Scary Face side of Two-Face's face, or they clearly never worked on human faces before.

Second off, the loading time thing for MGS4 was because that game was infinitely bigger, and even then, with new updates, that loading issue is gone.
I've owned both consoles at some point, and while I prefer the PS3, I have to admit the 360 had better performance (too bad everything else, from the online to the controller sucked ***).
Yeah, the 360 just performs better as a console. It's too bad it's online is outdated (which you have to pay for to actually use on a comprehensive level), it has weak exclusives, and overall, Microsoft doesn't seem too interested in the gaming department of the console.
On KH, you mean THESE kinds of fans?:
There are more where that came from, mostly just fake emo/goth peoples though.

~automatic

Smash Legend
NNID
automaticdude
Nah, Nigel Thornberry is so 2012.
It's a Reddit tier meme now. It's only a matter of time before 9Gag jumps in on it too and kills it. Gotta stay on the cutting edge.
Isn't Reddit all advice animal spinoffs and trollfaces?
Anyways, I still lol at Nigel faceswaps so w/e.

I really wish Nintendo would do a lot more with the 3DS VC. Why haven't Super Mario Bros. 2 and Super Mario Bros. 3 shown up yet?
Before this post vanishes, I want then to not only port the games but to fix the display resolution so that the entire screen fills up when playing a game instead of having a square in the center of the screen.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
wait, are we perposely forgetting chrono chross happened
No, I just don't consider it a "real" Chrono Trigger sequel. It is a great game IMO, no doubt.
edit: new troll gif, it's awesome

http://i.minus.com/iBAmshFebXbVT.gif
Tim Duncan is one of the Pound for Pound best troll smilers of all-time now! All hail Mr. Fundamentals!!!
Maybe; but the angsty looking people at conventions and gaming events are the ones who still hail KH as the best thing ever so...
I automatically agree. :smirk: Kingdom Hearts II, while featuring a great battle system (minus the "press X or Triangle to win"), is hardly the best thing ever. There are far better hack and slash RPG games out there, like DMC3. :shades:

D

Deleted member

I automatically agree. :smirk: Kingdom Hearts II, while featuring a great battle system (minus the "press X or Triangle to win"), is hardly the best thing ever. There are far better hack and slash RPG games out there, like DMC3. :shades:
>DMC3
>RPG

I wanna lash out, but I'm not sure, I've only played DMC4, someone back me up here. Last I heard DMC franchise was Action, not Action RPG.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Isn't any game where you are playing the role of someone an RPG?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Chrono Trigger 2: Where someone goes back in time and erases Chrono Trigger and the main characters have to un-erase it, re-erase it, re-create it (better than ever), and get into a super awesome battle to determine the fate of the universe.

Also, multiple dimensions. Yes, I went there, and I crapped it out. :shades:
Is that really what happens?

'cause that's not what I got from the game

I don't think you really even travel back in time. Just fragments from the past and future start appearing in present time.

I also didn't like how most of the characters from Chrono Trigger suffered horrible deaths.

Edit: OH! I see, your making up your own version ignoring Chrono Cross

D

Deleted member

Isn't any game where you are playing the role of someone an RPG?
No, absolutely NOT.

RPG in videogames is much different in meaning from RPG in board games.

In board games, live games, etc... RPG is precicely that, a game where you play a Role of someone. In videogames, it's anything that derives from Dungeons and Dragons in gameplay and mechanics.

Popsydoodles

Smash Journeyman
Wow. I feel bad for KH after reading these posts. I still dig it.
Those little "spin-offs" are actually all tying into what KH3 is going to be.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
On KH, you mean THESE kinds of fans?:

**** still makes me feel like putting a Hemmingway to my throat and pulling the trigger.

If ANYONE caught that subtle reference, you have earned my earnest respect
Hehe...Earnest. Ernest Hemmingway. Not sure if that was the intended reference, but I found that rather funny...

...I have an odd sense of humor.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
No, absolutely NOT.

RPG in videogames is much different in meaning from RPG in board games.

In board games, live games, etc... RPG is precicely that, a game where you play a Role of someone. In videogames, it's anything that derives from Dungeons and Dragons in gameplay and mechanics.

While I'm only partially into that video, it's explaining why I am not liking RPG's of this age. Especially Final Fantasy.

They are moving away from the DND roots and trying to make it all show and not substance. Unfortunately in Japan they DO like all show and no substance

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
My sense of humor is kinda weird too

It's hard to make me truly laugh (I usually just laugh in my head or something) but when I do, I laugh my ass off

D

Deleted member

Hehe...Earnest. Ernest Hemmingway. Not sure if that was the intended reference, but I found that rather funny...

...I have an odd sense of humor.
DING DING DING!

Yeah, Hemmingway killed himself by shooting himself in the throat with a shotgun. My old Lit teacher used to say they should have named the rifle after him, especially since "Hemmingway" is such a good gun name. I always thought that was funny. So whenever I imply shooting myself for comedic effect, I always make that joke.

Kurt Kobain also killed himself in the same way. I wonder if he used a Hemmingway.

Popsydoodles

Smash Journeyman
I've never been much into KH. I got one for my 3DS but it just didn't interest me very much.
It's a series where you can't just jump in at the middle. You pretty much have to start at the beginning.
I've only played through KH chain of Memories, KH2, KH Birth by Sleep. The rest I just read on the wiki or heard from friends.

D

Deleted member

While I'm only partially into that video, it's explaining why I am not liking RPG's of this age. Especially Final Fantasy.

They are moving away from the DND roots and trying to make it all show and not substance. Unfortunately in Japan they DO like all show and no substance
Clan of the Grey Wolf is an awesome youtube channel. Dude knows his vidya.

Anyway, I agree, though it's not just RPG's. This is happening to ALL genres afaik.

Look at Mario and Zelda.

Galaxy 2 is kinda fun, but goddamn is it linear. Combining the star collecting from SM64, with the Linearity of 2D Mario was a bad move. It's very chore-like because of that. 2D Mario works because you can just blast from level to level to the end, only going back to collect if you feel like it. SM64 and Sunshine worked because the levels were massive which incited you to explore and look for the star. The challenge was just there to orient you. In Galaxy 2, the star is the obvious goal at the end, and the whole level is just one big obstacle, rather than a playground. This makes me not enjoy the levels. So far, Galaxy was better simply because the levels were better crafted, thought it began to stray from the traditional open-world formula and started to become more linear, however, it had some open world levels, so the feeling was less noticable. Galaxy 2, for me, hasn't been very enjoyable so far, even if some purple coin comets have been more challenging. I have no incentive to continue other than the reward of being done with it and being able to move on to Muramasa or Xenoblade.

Where're Banjo-Kazooie and Rare when you need them...?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I agree with you with Galaxy 2, but it's not the popular opinion.

I never finished the game because of that choir like feel. I got stuck trying to find more stars and didn't want to because all that were left were annoying stars to get

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Are there any chances Microsoft will stop making consoles? And Rare returning to Nintendo cause of this?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Are there any chances Microsoft will stop making consoles? And Rare returning to Nintendo cause of this?
IF their new DRM box fails, they might stop making consoles.

But my guess is if that happens, Rare will just cease to exist. Like a company absorbed into EA that's no longer needed

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I could see them quitting. For starters, I pretty much never hear about any 1st party games on the Xbox these days. And seeing Microsoft is far more interested in gimmicks, applications, sponsors on the Xbox rather than making video games, that doesn't help them either.

And Microsoft can keep Rare. Most of the good people have left Rare a long time ago and their IP's really don't interest me anymore. The only think I want Nintendo to take from Rare is anything Donkey Kong related as it's making annoying legal issues porting old DK games and Rare is never going to use them ever again either.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
That "Anime Club" video scared me. It was almost as creepy as that Dungeons and Dragons club my high school had.
Edit: OH! I see, your making up your own version ignoring Chrono Cross
Exactly. I'm mostly parodying the fact Square didn't make a "true" sequel to Chrono Trigger. Also, I was slightly parodying the Back to the Trilogy movies. :shades:
>DMC3
>RPG

I wanna lash out, but I'm not sure, I've only played DMC4, someone back me up here. Last I heard DMC franchise was Action, not Action RPG.
It is an action franchise, but it has elements of leveling up in it, which thus is where I was getting the RPG aspect from. I haven't played much of DMC4, but I know there is a lot of leveling up in DMC3.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I could see them quitting. For starters, I pretty much never hear about any 1st party games on the Xbox these days. And seeing Microsoft is far more interested in gimmicks, applications, sponsors on the Xbox rather than making video games, that doesn't help them either.

And Microsoft can keep Rare. Most of the good people have left Rare a long time ago and their IP's really don't interest me anymore. The only think I want Nintendo to take from Rare is anything Donkey Kong related as it's making annoying legal issues porting old DK games and Rare is never going to use them ever again either.
Nintendo already owns everything Donkey Kong related. And with everything, I mean, actually everything.

I want Banjo-Kazooie and Conker back.

Viva Pinata as a franchise also would've been far more succesful on Nintendo.

DK64 has problems with being ported cause it has a major plot device: getting the Rare Coin by completing a Rare-made game: Jetpac. (You also have to collect a Nintendo Coin by completing the Donkey Kong Arcade game).

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Nintendo already owns everything Donkey Kong related. And with everything, I mean, actually everything.
Then why is Donkey Country 1, 2, & 3 the only Rare games that have been ported without cooperating with Rare (and the fact that the DKC trilogy has been removed from the Wii Virtual Console services doesn't make me believe your statement either.)?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
DK64 has problems with being ported cause it has a major plot device: getting the Rare Coin by completing a Rare-made game: Jetpac. (You also have to collect a Nintendo Coin by completing the Donkey Kong Arcade game).

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I disagree on Galaxy 2. While the linear path is inferior in 3D games to the open path (in most cases, including Galaxy 1 and 2 [1 was way more linear IMO btw]), it didn't feel like a chore, but rather, a challenge.

The big problem I had with the new linear mission model in the Galaxy games is it all felt "the same." There is lacking replay value in both Galaxy games because of that linear path problem. Then again, it's not just limited to Mario Galaxy, but also all of the Zelda games post-the Minish Cap. All of them are very linear to the point where the 2D Zelda games are less linear. It's kinda sad that the Zelda team can't just make a gigantic open world Zelda game with lots of challenges.

I mean, just imagine the Zelda battle system, style, and world in something the scale of an Elder Scrolls game. That would be straight cash money for Nintendo homie. Seriously, imaging a game as good as Ocarina of Time with that much content and that big of a world to explore would blow my mind.

Final Fantasy has slowly evolved into utter linear crap. Final Fantasy IMO never really had any "deep" characters (despite what most fans say; sorry, Cloud had no depth, and was a clone of Terra; don't even get me started on Lightning), and while the story was mostly pretty good, it's gotten very stale.

I also think taking away player freedom in favor of a "flashy" linear path was a dreadfully terrible decision. At least in Mario Galaxy, the linear gameplay (due to the Wii's limitations and the unique gameplay system) made sense.
Kurt Kobain also killed himself in the same way. I wonder if he used a Hemmingway.
No, he used a "Love."

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
That explains DK64's problems but not the removal of DKC 1-3 from the Wii Virtual Console and the lack of porting the Donkey Kong Land games.

D

Deleted member

No, he used a "Love."
Makes you wonder...

Did this put his ashes in a Heart Shaped Box?

Anyway, on Galaxy 2, I'll give it a final veredict once I'm done, but so far Galaxy 1 feels vastly superior.

I'm just wanting to get done to start on Muramasa.

Oh, and don't remind me about what Zelda coule be if it went back to te exploration roots and played more like TES.

Nintendo is just filled with franchises that have tons of untapped potential.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
1. Yes, if the Xbox doesn't make a profit.
2. The Rare you knew and loved died sometime after Conker's Bad Fur Day was made. Let it go man, let it go.
3. It is, however possible that if Microsoft quit making games, Nintendo could buy the rights to various Rare IP's back, which could obviously mean Banjo, Conker, etc. could appear in Smash Bros, and even get sequels to their respective franchises. :)
They could just remove that part. Quite frankly, that arcade version of Donkey Kong was harder than the actual Donkey Kong arcade or NES game. That and the Jetpac game could be changed to the in-game mini-games, and the Rare Coin could be changed to a "DK" coin.

As for the DKC1-3, they problem had the Rare logo in there somewhere that they need to remove. I know a reason why EarthBound has taken forever to come to the Virtual Console is because it uses a clear copyright violation (the song "Johnny B. Goode").

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

OH OH JOHNNY! JOHNNY BE GOOD TONIGHT!

(Not the original singer, but srew that, this is way more awesome)

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
It's just a few dungeons added and Majora's Mask. I'm talking about a games with all the great elements of 3D Zelda (cool weapons, cool locations, cool bosses, cool dungeons), but bigger, better, and badder. More difficulty levels (and actual difficulty levels, not "enemies do twice as much damage" crap), loads of side quests, a gigantic world to explore that is worth exploring, loads of enemy variety, more advanced enemies (in terms of intelligence, strategy, and the kind of fighters they are), and just pretty much a gigantic game that is hard to get bored in. That would be especially great if the sense of "adventure" that was there at many moments in the Wind Waker was present, and the sense of purpose was there, as in Majora's Mask.

Quite frankly, once you beat the main quest and fetch quests in Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword, the game offers nothing to you to do. That's unacceptable in this day and age from a franchise as great as Zelda.
Oh, and don't remind me about what Zelda could be if it went back to the exploration roots and played more like TES.
I don't think TES was that big of a deal, since all it was adding was more content, and the other half was Majora's Mask (which was a huge step forward for gaming IMO). I would have loved to see Nintendo add some of that stuff to Ocarina of Time 3DS, however. I felt Nintendo missed a huge opportunity with that. I hope they add tons of stuff to the Wind Waker HD.

Wind Waker has so much untapped potential, it's ridiculous. I mean for reals, imagine if that game's sea enemies and combat system was as diverse as it's on foot enemies, if that game had a harder difficulty level(s), if they added more locations and longer dungeons, and if there were several more cities and side quests.

I guess I'm both describing what the Wind Waker should have had (a bit), but moreso I'm describing what the Zelda games after the Wind Waker missed the opportunity to have to help compel those games to legendary heights.

Regardless of what the haters say, the Wind Waker did some very brilliant things, and was so, so, so close to bringing gaming to new heights.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
My Brother and I had an debate over this. The next topic was if Error was not only, error, what if we are all error? :troll:
Error wasn't an error, it was a joke left in by the programers. Along with the other character, bug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom