• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Final Fantasy has slowly evolved into utter linear crap. Final Fantasy IMO never really had any "deep" characters (despite what most fans say; sorry, Cloud had no depth, and was a clone of Terra; don't even get me started on Lightning), and while the story was mostly pretty good, it's gotten very stale.
I like Lightning. Maybe I just have ****ty tastes when it comes to characters.

Nintendo is just filled with franchises that have tons of untapped potential.
This, so much. I still think that the fans are mostly to blame as usual. At least for a while, Nintendo was willing to experiment, but now their "experiments" are just gimmicks - though FE's team up system was great. I blame this mostly on "fans" not responding well to all sorts of changes. Then there's the developer's defeatist attitude where they feel like they can't try again to improve things - that's at least something I can commend for Zelda/Sheik in Brawl.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm not sure how anyone could like something out of FF13

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
He was talking about Final Fantasy XIII, not Awakening.

And yes, I particularly enjoyed Final Fantasy XIII, even for all its flaws. I really wish the Auto-Battle option had never been put in though.

D

Deleted member

Edit: Sorry, just feel stupid now. One of those days!

Yes, I agree. FF13 was awful
I actually read that as FE13 for a while as well, so don't feel bad.

It's their fault, it's FFXIII not FF13. Roman Numerals biatch!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
The F and the E are quite similar though. The E only has 3 stripes to the right, and F only has 2.

I know. This might be mindblowing, but take it easy. The truth has no haste, but you gotta accept it eventually.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Know the truth and it'll set you free.

F and E are actually related I found out. :alien:

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Off topic, but One Piece will be on Toonami starting next week.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Makes you wonder...
Did this put his ashes in a Heart Shaped Box?
:rotfl:
That Smells like Hemmingway Spirit...
Anyway, on Galaxy 2, I'll give it a final veredict once I'm done, but so far Galaxy 1 feels vastly superior.
I felt Galaxy 2 was the better game, but Galaxy 1 was more enjoyable because it was "fresher." I agree that it should have been an open world. As much crap as Super Marion Sunshine gets, at least it was (mostly) an open world game, and some of it's open world areas were freaking awesome (the last level before the Bowser level, for instance, with all those gigantic things to climb).

Of course, I'm fairly certain that at least in part the open world aspect of Mario 64 and Sunshine will be fused with Galaxy 1 and 2 in the next main Mario 3D title for the WiiU.
Nintendo is just filled with franchises that have tons of untapped potential.
I find that if you think about it, nearly every game ever made has tons of untapped potential. The problem is we don't think about it enough. Like take New Super Mario Bros. for instance. Imagine if it played as tight and technical as SMB3 (I've never liked the "feel" of those games control-wise, but I love the art direction), had all that cool jump stuff from Mario 64 and Sunshine, all the cool costumes, and the diverse level design to boot. That would be one incredible game.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
You should be able to punch, kick, and do all those other awesome Mario 64 things in the Galaxy games. I was already dissapointed Sunshine didn't feature this, but Galaxy...? THEY HAD NO EXCUSE!

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Everything that was in Super Mario 64 that isn't in any particular 3D Mario game needs to be in that game. Seriously, the side jump, the super long jump, the triple jump, the back jump, wall jumping, etc. Plus the punches and kicks were cool. Oh, and don't forget that Sunshine super spin jump thing; that thing was as cool as the shade on a beach! :shades:
I like Lightning. Maybe I just have ****ty tastes when it comes to characters.
We agree to disagree, however part of my reasoning is that there isn't enough true character diversity in Final Fantasy. If Lightning wasn't reasonably identical to a half dozen other Final Fantasy antagonists, I wouldn't dislike her to be honest.
This, so much. I still think that the fans are mostly to blame as usual. At least for a while, Nintendo was willing to experiment, but now their "experiments" are just gimmicks - though FE's team up system was great. I blame this mostly on "fans" not responding well to all sorts of changes. Then there's the developer's defeatist attitude where they feel like they can't try again to improve things - that's at least something I can commend for Zelda/Sheik in Brawl.
I don't think it's changes as much as fans being indecisive, and Nintendo catering to the fans in that sense. Good games are good no matter what. Bad games are bad games no matter what. First, Nintendo went all out ballsy with the Wii motion controls trying to be different, and my God, they were onto something, and they exploited an untapped market. Then, they went all out retro, and they, again, were onto something while their competitors were spending much of their time copying their previous ideas.

Now while these ideas and things are nice when properly used, it's been something of an "excuse" for not "upgrading" several key franchises. For starters, 3D Mario games have gotten more and more linear and condensed. As for Zelda games, every one since Twilight Princess has been ridiculously linear, and offers no reward for any sort of real exploration, or any real grand world to explore. It's like in Nintendo's 3D games instead of having epic adventures you're just walking from quest to quest, which I think is what makes games like Xenoblade Chronicles a breath of fresh air on a Nintendo console (I finally played it at a friend's house last month, and that game is GODLY!!!).

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
A business does not fail because of fans; A business fails or succeeds of its own merit. I am and have been growing increasingly concerned with Nintendo and their 'global strategy', though I have little idea of what that actually entails. This is conjecture, but I read an article, an essay, and saw the citation of a study about this: Institutions with less bureaucracy traditionally tend to be more successful and live longer. No joke, take a look at the Catholic Church as an example, I suppose, 2000 years old and it has very little bureaucracy. An experiment only succeeds if it creates a good result, these "fans" will not respond to bad changes well. If people do not respond, it was because the business made a bad decision. I ALSO disagree (sorry for disagreeing so much :3) that developers really have a defeatist attitude, in fact I'd say they have a positive attitude. If a developer doesn't improve things it's because they can't, and most often it is because they simply could not think of a way to improve it.

Kuma, I love you, but your attitude is SOOOOOO defeatist and economically irresponsible :3
I just had to give an alternate view, really.

Edit: Cool, Diddy, thanks, good to know, but, as I'm sure you are aware, it's not the focus of my post.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
We can discuss religion here no problem. Actually, most of us like debating even.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Nintendo's overall global strategy and game developmental tools lead to success, it's just not an immediate success usually. Just look at their list of consoles that started off slow, and ended up huge successes (the Famicom. the DS, and the 3DS all fit that billing). I think the WiiU is headed down that same path (kinda like the PS3, minus being ridiculously expensive).

Also, most of their big console games lately, while overall fairly well made in most cases, are missing things that they clearly shouldn't. Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 both lacked levels worth exploring time and time again; Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword lacked an exciting world to explore (like in the 3 previous 3D Zelda games) or anything exciting to do after you beat the game; Brawl had a C-grade developer at best.

These are all things that should not be the way they are. Of course, a lot of this can be easily fixed, which is a good thing, and a lot of this was because the Wii was so late, but my goodness, Nintendo missed big opportunities to further separate from Sony and Microsoft. If Mario Galaxy 1 or 2 had levels with the kind of replay value of Super Mario 64, people's Wii's would be collecting less dust, and instead, their PS3's and Xbox 360's would be collecting dust. From 2008 to 2012 they missed tons of opportunities to turn a giant lead into a gargantuanous lead.

And to be quite honest, Nintendo's mistakes are rather small compared to the mistakes other gaming companies like Microsoft, EA, Capcom, Activision, and Square Enix continue to make.

D

Deleted member

Off topic, but One Piece will be on Toonami starting next week.
Who's publishing it? Funimation?

Hopefully this will revive the series in the US. It's damn good, and deserves a good localization.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Nintendo's overall global strategy and game developmental tools lead to success, it's just not an immediate success usually.
Also, most of their big console games lately, while overall fairly well made in most cases, are missing things that they clearly shouldn't.
And to be quite honest, Nintendo's mistakes are rather small compared to the mistakes other gaming companies like Microsoft, EA, Capcom, Activision, and Square Enix continue to make.
It's good to know Nintendo's been doing good, and that it's due to their own merit, thanks Johnknight1. It's also comforting to know that someone else thinks that games miss stuff because their developers failed in those regards.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
We agree to disagree, however part of my reasoning is that there isn't enough true character diversity in Final Fantasy. If Lightning wasn't reasonably identical to a half dozen other Final Fantasy antagonists, I wouldn't dislike her to be honest.
Lightning DID remind me of Squall to a significant degree at least she "get's better" much quicker than Squall did. Snow was pretty much a deconstruction of your hot-blooded hero with his naivete and irresponsibility. Can't say a whole lot on the other four other than that Fang x Vanille is best yuri pairing AND it's pretty much canon.

A business does not fail because of fans; A business fails or succeeds of its own merit. I am and have been growing increasingly concerned with Nintendo and their 'global strategy', though I have little idea of what that actually entails. This is conjecture, but I read an article, an essay, and saw the citation of a study about this: Institutions with less bureaucracy traditionally tend to be more successful and live longer. No joke, take a look at the Catholic Church as an example, I suppose, 2000 years old and it has very little bureaucracy. An experiment only succeeds if it creates a good result, these "fans" will not respond to bad changes well. If people do not respond, it was because the business made a bad decision. I ALSO disagree (sorry for disagreeing so much :3) that developers really have a defeatist attitude, in fact I'd say they have a positive attitude. If a developer doesn't improve things it's because they can't, and most often it is because they simply could not think of a way to improve it.

Kuma, I love you, but your attitude is SOOOOOO defeatist and economically irresponsible :3
I just had to give an alternate view, really.

Edit: Cool, Diddy, thanks, good to know, but, as I'm sure you are aware, it's not the focus of my post.
Why be sorry for disagreeing with me? You disagree with me, there's no shame in that. It's not like I'm gonna nuke you or something.

Still, at the end of the day, I don't like how Nintendo is seemingly afraid to take risks these days while fans are stuck in that paradox where if it's different, then it sucks or it's the same, now it sucks.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@ Diddy Kong
What else can I call it bro=??? Mewtwo dos, Mewtwo female/male (like Nidorans were labelled by their sex), Mewtwo B, or Mewtwo Gamma=??? :confused:
It's good to know Nintendo's been doing good, and that it's due to their own merit, thanks Johnknight1. It's also comforting to know that someone else thinks that games miss stuff because their developers failed in those regards.
Nintendo just recently failed by not having a good WiiU launch. However, they are at an advantage IMO because I think they will have more quality games ready for their new console than Sony or Microsoft with the PS4 and Xbox turn around twice.

I mean, both companies just made games for some of their biggest 1st/2nd party franchises (Uncharted/God of War/Sly Cooper for Sony and Halo/Gears of War for Microsoft). Meanwhile, we could get anything from a new Mario, Donkey Kong, Zelda, Metroid, Star Fox, F-Zero, or Xenoblade game on the WiiU this year, on top of the Wonderful 101 and Pikmin 3, and a wild card chance of Bayonetta 2.

D

Deleted member

Off topic but on topic, but if Mewtwo #2 is playable and Mewtwo the original isn't, I will murder many Pit mains.
I would MAIN Mewtwo2.

I don't like the original much anyway.

EDIT: Then I would revel in delicious fanboy tears.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Who's publishing it? Funimation?

Hopefully this will revive the series in the US. It's damn good, and deserves a good localization.
Funimation has been dubbing One Piece for quite some time now. About five or six years ago, 4Kids had the rights to One Piece revoked after Toei found out how much they butchered the show. From there, the rights went to Funimation. For a while, Toonami did a TV PG dub of One Piece on the old Toonami, leaving where the 4Kids dub had left off, but it didn't last long for some reason (Toonami didn't have much longer though). Eventually though, Funimation has been releasing 13 uncut episode boxsets (way too small for a show like this) starting from the very beginning of the show. I have the first 36 episodes uncut and they are great. Take a look at the voice cast if you want.

You seriously didn't know about this? This was big anime news back then.

D

Deleted member

In don't follow the OP anime much. I mostly read the manga, though I will occssionaly watch the episodes for the better fights, or the more emotional scenes.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
The only thing I know about One Piece is None Piece, which is an amazing Abridge Series.

Also Kuma, who does Christopher Sabat voice=???
EDIT: Then I would revel in delicious fanboy tears.

Until we get texture mods made within the first 6 months of the games' release. :shades:

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Why be sorry for disagreeing with me? You disagree with me, there's no shame in that. It's not like I'm gonna nuke you or something.
Still, at the end of the day, I don't like how Nintendo is seemingly afraid to take risks these days while fans are stuck in that paradox where if it's different, then it sucks or it's the same, now it sucks.
I'm glad you're not one of the people who get their panties in a bunch <3
Nintendo is afraid? I'm not sure either way, but I'm sure that having the right men is far more a deciding factor. If what you're saying is true that they have not innovated, then they don't have the right men to make the risks possible, the spark of a good game developer or good sales lead is not born in every man, the potential of a man is less important than his ability to apply and show it. Fans aren't stuck, its just nothing good enough has been produced. Horray for conjecture on both our parts!

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Luffy - Colleen Clickenbeard
Zoro - Christopher Sabat
Nami - Luci Christian
Usopp - Sonny Strait
Sanji - Eric Vale
Chopper - Brina Palencia
Nico - Stephanie Young
Franky - Patrick Seitz
Brook - Not dubbed yet.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
^^^ Is it more Piccolo or Vegeta=??? :cool:
Kuma stop it. If you disagree with me, I will rebuke you, nuke you, and lastly I will puke on you.

I'm the king, the champ, with the bling whose a BAMF.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
@ Diddy Kong
What else can I call it bro=??? Mewtwo dos, Mewtwo female/male (like Nidorans were labelled by their sex), Mewtwo B, or Mewtwo Gamma=??? :confused:
No worries my man. I was just 'seeing what you did there' conserning the Pit mains. ;) We often call it Mewthree here. Or Mewtwo's Awakening form. Newtwo has also been used.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
^^^ Is it more Piccolo or Vegeta=??? :cool:

Kuma stop it. If you disagree with me, I will rebuke you, nuke you, and lastly I will puke on you.

I'm the king, the champ, with the bling whose a BAMF.
Now don't get me wrong. I'm no pacifist. It's just my policy to not throw the first punch, but land it. In other words, I don't start fights, I end them in a blood bath.

From what I recall, his Zoro is closer to Vegeta IIRC. Zoro's not Black so he can't have Piccolo's voice.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
No worries my man. I was just 'seeing what you did there' conserning the Pit mains. ;) We often call it Mewthree here. Or Mewtwo's Awakening form. Newtwo has also been used.
What about Mewtwotwo or Mew the Ballerina =??? :shades:

Also, I find it funny that back in 1998, lots of people thought Mewthree was gonna be a new Pokémon. I never believed it once. Now, I'ma kinda sorta wrong. Boy oh boy has Pokémon taken a turn for the weird. What next, Venastoise becomes real=??? Charcoal (the Charizard evolution)=??? Pikablue=??? :confused:

D

Deleted member

The only thing I know about One Piece is None Piece, which is an amazing Abridge Series.

Until we get texture mods made within the first 6 months of the games' release. :shades:
None Piece is alright. Code MENT is much better. I think we can all agree that DBZ Abridged is the best.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
There's this annual made episode Van Helsing (super bloody) anime Abridged series that rivals DBZ Abridged in terms of content. The main guy who voices Nappa in DBZ Abridged made it and voices the main character. Like I said, it's bloody, but it's freaking brilliant, and I don't even know the anime.

But yeah, IMO DBZ Abridged is my favorite abridged series, albeit Yu-gi-oh Abridged is fairly close in terms of content. Plus it has so many great lines.
"Screw the rules I have money/green hair/I'm an alien."
"Because shut up."
"Shut up Mokuba."
Also, this...

D

Deleted member

>Van Helsing anime

I suggest you watch the HELLSING OVA. It's very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom