• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I wonder if I'll ever say something long, well thought out around here.

Probably not for a while, since I prefer to stay out of conflict, and don't know much about Pokemon or Fire Emblem, both of which seem to come up around here often.

MexM

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4468-1063-3341
* Fire Emblem sales have never been the greatest, if even respectably good. Fire Emblem 7 did decent sales, and is considered the best game, while Fire Emblem 8 did poorly and di not liveup to expectation. Fire Emblem 9 and 10, however, are considered the WORST SALES in Nintendo's history of long-running series games. They only broke at a measly 200,000 unites together. TOGETHER, they only sold at 200,000. That's pretty low standards when compared to Kirby or Donkey Kong, who make millions per game, and they are maybe even YOUNGER than Fire Emblem is.

* Nintendo Land never showcased Fire Emblem. They showcased Takamaru and Balloon Fighter, but not Fire Emblem. Think about that. If Nintendo doesn't have all that much faith within Fire Emblem to beshowcased along side the likes of Mario and Samus, then Fire Emblem may truly no be as important as people may think it is.

* Fire Emblem is not a household name to casual players of Nintendo. If we are talking about Smash, then Mario, DK, Pikachu, Link, Samus, Pit, and others are more recognizable. Marth, though? Nobody knows him. The series is relatively small-scaled and almost cult-like in its niche. Going back to SSB, if Sakurai found them to be marketable enough, why wasn't Marth showcased at E3 in the SSB4? Because he wasn't well-known enough like the other cast to make it in.
While I'm not Swampasaur, I'll just say that DK is obviously older than FE. And if you look at it, Nintendo Land doesn't even feature Pokémon...POKÉMON! Only first party titles are in Nintendo Land. It's like with Animal Crossing when you only see items from first party titles, while items from Pokémon or others aren't in. And FYI, in a poll held by a guy with the username Gonzales, Marth won in the most used and mained in both Melee and Brawl. Plus he was one of the most requested characters for Melee.

*goes back to corner*

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I wonder if I'll ever say something long, well thought out around here.

Probably not for a while, since I prefer to stay out of conflict, and don't know much about Pokemon or Fire Emblem, both of which seem to come up around here often.
You've already said some very well thought out things.

TheDivineDeity

Banned via Administration
OOOH LOOK

SALES FIGURES

WHICH ARE WRONG
From Wikipedia:

Sales of Fire Emblem: Ankoku Ryū to Hikari no Tsurugi were flat for the first two months of sales...

Fire Emblem sold over 345,000 units in Japan and 331,000 units in North America

Sacred Stones did much less

Path of Radiance sold over 156,000 units in Japan as of December 31, 2006

Radiant Dawn: 78,000 sales

Shadow Dragon: The game sold 250,000 copies in North America.

Awakening: The game sold 242,600 units in its first week of sales in Japan

Looks like your wrong. :)

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Well, I'll be damned! It appears that Swamp brought facts and definitions to this fight.
Divine is going to have to respond with something factual to stand a chance.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Deity, I looked it up. All together, Fire Emblem 7 sold 676,000 copies.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249

We're going to be in for a treat, wouldn't you agree Dis?

EDIT: Oooooooo, Divine approaches with a gut punch to the Pokemon fan base.
I was too busy looking at the barrage of jabs to fire emblem. Deity is coming out strong and fast with no sign of letting up!

Khoru

Smash Champion
deity, there's no clear reference point here
if you're going to argue with sales figures, there has to be a consistent period of time across the board to draw reference for sales from

why am i saying this, you made an equation with qualitative values

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Awakening: The game sold 242,600 units in its first week of sales in Japan
For
the record, FE13 also sold 180,000 units in NA in it's first month of sales. So even if we take your "242,600 units in the first week in Japan" thing as accurate, your original claim(just over 200k sales) is wrong.

And that's even without looking at lifetime sales, or sales from Europe or Australia.

MexM

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4468-1063-3341
Also, Fire Emblem: Awakening is third in positions of scores of Metacritic.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I was too busy looking at the barrage of jabs to fire emblem. Deity is coming out strong and fast with no sign of letting up!
Oooh but did you see Swamps come back with a definition of marketable! Lets get an instant replay on that:
Instant Replay said:
mar·ket·a·ble
ˈmärkitəbəl
adjective
  1. 1.
    able or fit to be sold or marketed.

"the fish are perfectly marketable"
Here is the definition of marketable. Fire Emblem certainly fits this.It sells quite a bit and makes money too.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
*cough wikipedia, cough cough!*

guys, this is a debate! don't soil it by butting in! have faith in your side whichever side you're on.

bets! place your bets here! i got FIE DALLAHS HERE, FIE DALLAHS HERE ON THE ONE WIT DAH HAIR!

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412

guys, this is a debate! don't soil it by butting in! have faith in your side whichever side you're on.

bets! place your bets here! i got FIE DALLAHS HERE, FIE DALLAHS HERE ON THE ONE WIT DAH HAIR!
Looks like the refs have to step in!

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453

* Fire Emblem is not a household name to casual players of Nintendo. If we are talking about Smash, then Mario, DK, Pikachu, Link, Samus, Pit, and others are more recognizable. Marth, though? Nobody knows him. The series is relatively small-scaled and almost cult-like in its niche. Going back to SSB, if Sakurai found them to be marketable enough, why wasn't Marth showcased at E3 in the SSB4? Because he wasn't well-known enough like the other cast to make it in.
I guess nobody knows Yoshi either then.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
From Wikipedia:

Sales of Fire Emblem: Ankoku Ryū to Hikari no Tsurugi were flat for the first two months of sales... but improved after word of mouth spread. Same page.

Fire Emblem sold over 345,000 units in Japan and 331,000 units in North America

Sacred Stones did much less It was still received very positively. And it was rereleased on the 3DS.

Path of Radiance sold over 156,000 units in Japan as of December 31, 2006 What about North America?

Radiant Dawn: 78,000 sales Where was this information? I can't find it on the page.

Shadow Dragon: The game sold 250,000 copies in North America. What about JAPAN?

Awakening: The game sold 242,600 units in its first week of sales in Japan Again, you're not including North America.

Looks like your wrong. :)
Not only are my red replies from the same page, but you didn't include Europe in any of them.

Awakening also sold 180,000 copies in its first month in North America, equaling over 400,000 copies.

DeadlyAllianceLeader

Smash Apprentice
NNID
n64by44
3DS FC
1547-5288-9488
I'm not sure what you guys are talking about, but... yeah, Sales and all that, but in all honesty, if this has to do with the Fire Emblem characters being in Smash Bros, then that's great! Your, rather anyone who doesn't care for the characters, opinion is all fine, and from this end i promise not to judge or hammer against your reasoning why even though sales shouldn't be what matters... if anything those numbers just show that people DO care about Fire Emblem. And, sometimes, even though maybe 200 thousand per month had bought the game or something, just think about that. 200 THOUSAND people played the game... and just in one month, and that is pretty unbelievable in my opinion. Even though it may not be the millions that know and have played Mario or DK or something like that, that's something. That's why they're even in Smash Bros anyway; the people at Nintendo care in some way about it, and they know the people who play it will, too.... heck, I'm not entirely sure where I heard this from, but apparantly the Fire Emblem characters weren't even going to be localized for the north american release of Melee, but WERE after outcry from fans showing they care, and now, since then, the series and characters have come to the western areas because of that care

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
First Diety says that Mother isn't important and now he says that Fire Emblem isn't important.

WAT?

I think eventually we'll have a debate on why Metroid isn't important to Nintendo, but only after we get though Kid Icarus, Yoshi, Wario, StarFox, Kirby and Animal Crossing franchises.

Yeah, Fire Emblem has never been a system seller, and it's a very niche franchise as a result. But if it wasn't important to Nintendo, do you really think that...

a) They'd be making Fire Emblem games. It's clearly marketable enough for them to keep going with them, because they make enough money. Currently, Nintendo doesn't view StarFox or F-Zero as marketable, but they view Fire Emblem as marketable and I think that speaks loudly considering that StarFox and F-Zero are both first party franchises, made by Miyamoto no less, whereas Fire Emblem is second party.

b) They'd release Fire Emblem Sacred Stones on the Ambassador program. Let's look at what we got as ambassadors.

Metroid, Mario vs DK, Mario Kart, Yoshi's Island, WarioWare, Wario Land, Zelda, Kirby, F-Zero and Fire Emblem.

10 games. And Fire Emblem is there. So clearly Nintendo likes Fire Emblem if they chose it as am ambassador title over something like that Super Mario Bros. 3 GBA port or Pokemon for crying out loud.

You've failed to define what you consider marketable to be Diety.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
That too.
Fair enough.
I bet that Diety declares this a victory no matter what.

TheDivineDeity

Banned via Administration
It starts....

Position: Both Fire Emblem AND Mother are beloved and popular franchises in Japan and in the west (mostly Japan) and they are important parts of Nintendo history.

Argument :Fire Emblem is a marketable.

You serious? Awakening just came out and it was a major release in the west! It sold a ton of copies! Not to mention FE7 which sold lots of copies as well it barely made 200,000 copies, which isn't considered all that much when you compare video game sales to other games with FE8, FE9, FE10 selling decently in the west as well. More like lukewarm - some of them BARELY cracked the 100,000 list, which is considered a BOMB in video game indutires FE11 sold badly, but hey one fluke is fine. Ignoring evidence against Fire Emblem? Fine... Every series has its flukes. Even great ones like Mairo, Zelda and Smash Bros. Really? And that is just talking about the west. In Japan, it's HUGE!!! More popular than Metroid, Starfox and F-Zero there. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! :laugh: Sure, sure it is. So, you're actually saying that Fire Emblem IS MORE POPULAR than Metroid, DK, and Starfox. Now you'll probably say Kid Icarus or Pikmin are even less popular than Fire Emblem.

Let me get this straight through your head - Japan is not the be-all end-all market of the video gaming world. THE UNITED STATES IS. Hell, even Europe and Canda.Japan is a very small country with no as many people living in it as the other CONTINENTS I just mentioned. If anything, it's the United States that is the most important when it comes to sales. Otherwise, by your logic, apparently Metroid and DK should be cancelled now, with only Fire Emblem replacing them as video game titles. Japan is important, don't get e wrong, but not nearly as enough as the US. :facepalm:

:facepalm: Sales wise, it is certainly a success. If it's not marketable, why do they sell well, and why does Nintendo still make them? It's because they are successful. It's no mega money producer like Mario or Pokemon but it is certainly profitable. Yet not as much in comparison to other titles, like Tales, Xenoblade, and Square Enix RPG's

Marth got into Melee because of popularity and requests. He only got in as a favor byt he creators of Fire Emblem by Sakurai. Nothing more. Show me those requests then, if they are even real. He was included with the likes of Bowser, Peach and Mewtwo because he was a popular character that topped polls that Sakurai used to pick characters.When Sakurai chose newcomers in Melee, he had three methods.
A. Popular requests, AKA the poll ( :bowsermelee: :marthmelee: :mewtwomelee: :peachmelee:)
B. Characters he thought would be a good surprise ( :icsmelee: :gawmelee: :sheikmelee: :zeldamelee:)
C. Last minute clones. (:drmario: :falcomelee: :ganondorfmelee: :younglinkmelee: :roymelee: :pichumelee:)

Marth was a popular character. Popular enough to rank with Bowser, Peach and Mewtwo. How can a character from an unpopular series rank that high? He's only poopular BECAUSE of Smash - NOT because he is from Fire Emblem. There is a difference.

And mind you, this is before he got into Smash so his popularity wasn't boosted that way. The series and it's characters has a great amount of star power. On par with other Nintendo greats such as Samus, Fox and Captain Falcon, if not surpassing some of them. WHAT?! HAHAHA!!! :lol: Seriously? The series is certainly well liked by a lot of people. And why is it well liked by a lot of people? Because people enjoyed the games. Not as many people as you think there are.

Fire Emblem is a popular and successful series. It's a money maker and a popular one at that. To say it isn't marketable is foolish. To clear something up...
mar·ket·a·ble
ˈmärkitəbəl
adjective

1. 1.
    able or fit to be sold or marketed.

"the fish are perfectly marketable"
Here is the definition of marketable. Fire Emblem certainly fits this.It sells quite a bit and makes money too. You're mising my point.

So.. what your saying is that if a game can sell, maybe if they're lucky, a few 100,000 copies, they're suddenly on the same level as DK and Metroid. Wow... :facepalm:

How is it not marketable?

Well there's my rebuttal.
This is gonna be interesting.

EDIT: Aw darn. He already wrote something? I though I was supposed to reply.

Ah well. I'll get to his reply....

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
welcome back lob-- da faq is dat avatar....i miss your duck one.
It's a Jeli from viva pinata

And sorry, but I don't remember you (even if you have been around since January), the last people I remember were treecko, thunderfang (he still around), mex, and KoP

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
* When Fire Emblem was first released, DECADES AGO, it was released only in Japan. That is ALREADY a bad sign. Considering Japan's history of having only Japanese games being either very, very good (TMNT), or very, very bad (Transformers), it doens't help Fire Emblem's chances when it wasn't even considered marketable enough to be released in the United States. THAT'S where the money is, in the Unitted States, where it has the greatest video game marketing in the world, where it's particular audience and console economy is hugely important to the financial success of Nintendo's games. That's where all the big titles get released, Like Mario and Zelda. So why wasn't Fire Emblem considered marketable enough to appeal to an American audience? Culture difference. Or just hard difficulty. Japanese didn't give us hard games for quite some time. And that includes Mario games as well. Super Mario Bros 2 wasn't released here because it was deemed "too hard for Americans." Fire Emblem is a LOT harder than Mario.

* During this decade, various RPG's were sweeping Nintendo consoles. Namely, Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, Dragon Quest, SMRPG, and yes, even EARTHBOUND. Think about this - Fire Emblem NEVER saw a North American release at this time, in an era were various RPGs were being released at the same time. Why not? This was as perfect as any time to do so. Because FE isn't quite an RPG. It's a strategy game. It's a different kind of game entirely. There was no proof a strategy game like that would be successful there.

* When Fire Emblem was FINALLY released to North America, it was only because a certain Masahiro Sakurai decided to add the cult classic character of Marth and Roy into the extremely popular SSB series. Had it not been for Sakurai, Fire Emblem would have NEVER seen an overseas release. Only BECAUSE of Sakurai's particular fondness for the series, rather than Nintendo's, but ONLY SAKURAI'S particular fondness allowed Fire Emblem to be made known to the world. If it wasn't for Sakurai, the series would likely be dead now. Same could be said for Metroid, Kid Icarus and F-Zero. Besides, once it got here, it took off.

* Fire Emblem sales have never been the greatest, if even respectably good. Fire Emblem 7 did decent sales, and is considered the best game, while Fire Emblem 8 did poorly and di not liveup to expectation. Fire Emblem 9 and 10, however, are considered the WORST SALES in Nintendo's history of long-running series games. Oh really? They only broke at a measly 200,000 unites together. TOGETHER, they only sold at 200,000. That's pretty low standards when compared to Kirby or Donkey Kong, who make millions per game, and they are maybe even YOUNGER than Fire Emblem is. Where did you get your sources exactly? I wanna see this.

When Fire Emblem Awakening came out, it sold the best in the entire series - at over 200,000.Pfft! I know that's not right. Where's the source? At is embarrassing. Kid Icarus, which was also a dead series like Fire Emblem only to be brought back by Sakurai, did millions, and theree were only SO FEW GAMES BEFORE PREVIOUSLY. Fire Emblem had 13, they had 13 chances to break the millions sale - they never did. Again. Where are your sources?

*Fire Emblem was actually ALMOST CANCELLED by Nintendo due to HORRIBLE low-expectation sales from the past Fire Emblem games. If it wasn't for Awakening fdoing better than any of the other titels (and even then that's not saying much AT ALL),then the series would be history. Yeah. But guess what. It sold well. And it didn't end.

* Nintendo Land never showcased Fire Emblem. They showcased Takamaru and Balloon Fighter, but not Fire Emblem. Think about that. If Nintendo doesn't have all that much faith within Fire Emblem to beshowcased along side the likes of Mario and Samus, then Fire Emblem may truly no be as important as people may think it is. Kirby, Starfox, and Pokemon aren't important then? Besides they do show up together, in smash.

* Fire Emblem is not a household name to casual players of Nintendo. If we are talking about Smash, then Mario, DK, Pikachu, Link, Samus, Pit Wait... Wut? Since when is Pit a household name?, and others are more recognizable. Marth, though? Nobody knows him. The series is relatively small-scaled and almost cult-like in its niche. Going back to SSB, if Sakurai found them to be marketable enough, why wasn't Marth showcased at E3 in the SSB4? Because he wasn't well-known enough like the other cast to make it in. Oh hey! I kinda addressed this.

* Almost every Nintendo title, from Mario to Capt. Falcon, has been on a top 100 list of greatest games of all time, ranging from IGN to GameInformer to GameStop. Fire Emblem, though? Only on Famitsu, which isn't credible anyways because of its Japanese bias. It's a Japanese company. It compares Japanese made games (like Mario and Zelda) to other Japanses games. How is that bias? With that said, Fire Emblem isn't even considered a game worth playing among the likes of Mario, DK, and Pikachu - even Capt. Falcon and NESS.

Now that I posted my arguments to be replied to, you have to post yours so I can reply to it. That's the rules. :glare:

These are some of my major arguments against the illogical idea that Fire Emblem series is important to Nintendo's history, both financially and historically. If anybody possess the brain power to intellectually think for themselves, they would see why Fire Emblem isn't important to Nintendo AT ALL. That is the TRUTH. :)
Where did you get your sources?

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
It's late as heck and theres 31 people viewing this thread.

Should I go tell the people of the Roster Prediction discussion thread to come see this? (or will that risk crashing the site? XD)

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Oh yeah guys, don't forget to like the post of whoever you think is winning, since apparently that's what Diety is using to define who wins.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Guess who's back

Welcome back you probably already know but put you up to speed

On Tuesday August 20th the place where you fight Ridley in metroid other M and there was a quote that said an old enemy will appear any second hinting Ridley

And everyone is on a war of Ridley being a hazard or playable from that picture

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom