• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDivineDeity

Banned via Administration
Here we go.....

THE DEBATE TOPIC

*****Is the Fire Emblem Series Important to Nintendo History?*****

My position: Not only is it NOT important to Nintendo history, it is in fact irrelevant and useless.

Argument: Fire Emblem is not very marketable for Nintendo.

Let's start with this.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm a fan of Fire Emblem, but I don't think it's up to the same level as other Nintendo games

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
For the thousands in attendance, and the millions watching at home lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllets geeeet ready to debaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
oh my! i feel like i just snuck into the ball game without the ticket! thanks for the heads ups. dis gon b gud!
*steals popcorn*

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Swamp is probably writing something at this moment...

Understandable that it may take a while, but, I can barely...stay..awa....

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzz...

TheDivineDeity

Banned via Administration
* When Fire Emblem was first released, DECADES AGO, it was released only in Japan. That is ALREADY a bad sign. Considering Japan's history of having only Japanese games being either very, very good (TMNT), or very, very bad (Transformers), it doens't help Fire Emblem's chances when it wasn't even considered marketable enough to be released in the United States. THAT'S where the money is, in the Unitted States, where it has the greatest video game marketing in the world, where it's particular audience and console economy is hugely important to the financial success of Nintendo's games. That's where all the big titles get released, Like Mario and Zelda. So why wasn't Fire Emblem considered marketable enough to appeal to an American audience?

* During this decade, various RPG's were sweeping Nintendo consoles. Namely, Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, Dragon Quest, SMRPG, and yes, even EARTHBOUND. Think about this - Fire Emblem NEVER saw a North American release at this time, in an era were various RPGs were being released at the same time. Why not? This was as perfect as any time to do so.

* When Fire Emblem was FINALLY released to North America, it was only because a certain Masahiro Sakurai decided to add the cult classic character of Marth and Roy into the extremely popular SSB series. Had it not been for Sakurai, Fire Emblem would have NEVER seen an overseas release. Only BECAUSE of Sakurai's particular fondness for the series, rather than Nintendo's, but ONLY SAKURAI'S particular fondness allowed Fire Emblem to be made known to the world. If it wasn't for Sakurai, the series would likely be dead now.

* Fire Emblem sales have never been the greatest, if even respectably good. Fire Emblem 7 did decent sales, and is considered the best game, while Fire Emblem 8 did poorly and di not liveup to expectation. Fire Emblem 9 and 10, however, are considered the WORST SALES in Nintendo's history of long-running series games. They only broke at a measly 200,000 unites together. TOGETHER, they only sold at 200,000. That's pretty low standards when compared to Kirby or Donkey Kong, who make millions per game, and they are maybe even YOUNGER than Fire Emblem is.

When Fire Emblem Awakening came out, it sold the best in the entire series - at over 200,000. At is embarrassing. Kid Icarus, which was also a dead series like Fire Emblem only to be brought back by Sakurai, did millions, and theree were only SO FEW GAMES BEFORE PREVIOUSLY. Fire Emblem had 13, they had 13 chances to break the millions sale - they never did.

*Fire Emblem was actually ALMOST CANCELLED by Nintendo due to HORRIBLE low-expectation sales from the past Fire Emblem games. If it wasn't for Awakening fdoing better than any of the other titels (and even then that's not saying much AT ALL),then the series would be history.

* Nintendo Land never showcased Fire Emblem. They showcased Takamaru and Balloon Fighter, but not Fire Emblem. Think about that. If Nintendo doesn't have all that much faith within Fire Emblem to beshowcased along side the likes of Mario and Samus, then Fire Emblem may truly no be as important as people may think it is.

* Fire Emblem is not a household name to casual players of Nintendo. If we are talking about Smash, then Mario, DK, Pikachu, Link, Samus, Pit, and others are more recognizable. Marth, though? Nobody knows him. The series is relatively small-scaled and almost cult-like in its niche. Going back to SSB, if Sakurai found them to be marketable enough, why wasn't Marth showcased at E3 in the SSB4? Because he wasn't well-known enough like the other cast to make it in.

* Almost every Nintendo title, from Mario to Capt. Falcon, has been on a top 100 list of greatest games of all time, ranging from IGN to GameInformer to GameStop. Fire Emblem, though? Only on Famitsu, which isn't credible anyways because of its Japanese bias. With that said, Fire Emblem isn't even considered a game worth playing among the likes of Mario, DK, and Pikachu - even Capt. Falcon and NESS.

Now that I posted my arguments to be replied to, you have to post yours so I can reply to it. That's the rules. :glare:

These are some of my major arguments against the illogical idea that Fire Emblem series is important to Nintendo's history, both financially and historically. If anybody possess the brain power to intellectually think for themselves, they would see why Fire Emblem isn't important to Nintendo AT ALL. That is the TRUTH. :)

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
For the thousands in attendance, and the millions watching at home lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllets geeeet ready to debaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate

We're going to be in for a treat, wouldn't you agree Dis?

EDIT: Oooooooo, Divine approaches with a gut punch to the Pokemon fan base.

Khoru

Smash Champion
* Nintendo Land never showcased Fire Emblem. They showcased Takamaru and Balloon Fighter, but not Fire Emblem. Think about that. If Nintendo doesn't have all that much faith within Fire Emblem to beshowcased along side the likes of Mario and Samus, then Fire Emblem may truly no be as important as people may think it is.
i guess pokemon isn't important guys

SirGalvan

Smash Journeyman
On a Smash topic(don't get me wrong Devine is keeping me entertained)

I'm hoping Roll makes it in as Megamans assist trophy I also wouldn't mind Dr Wily

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Well, Divine is using a lot of words and paragraphs, so he's already a better debater than I assumed he would be.

You know what... fine. We'll do this here. Right here, right now. The most epic battle in Smashboards history - gods battling against gods. :shades:
Divine is the Smashboards god of....what?
Swampasaur is the Smashboards god of....what?

All I know is that I'm the Smashboards god of Racism and I'm just watching this while eating my dinner stew at my computer desk.

Also, question to the mods:
The Mother/Fire Emblem debate is relevant to the thread, because it's about if they're important enough to be in Smash...right?

-----

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
i guess pokemon isn't important guys
Or Kirby, for that matter.

Also, just real quick, Deity, by that logic, Star Fox matters even less. At least they're not just re-hashing FE7 over and over.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Back to mah Hidden Village music.

Even the Bulblins from it decided to come around the boards to see this.

(yeah, I've been playing Twilight Princess a lot lately)

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Here we go.....

THE DEBATE TOPIC

*****Is the Fire Emblem Series Important to Nintendo History?*****

My position: Not only is it NOT important to Nintendo history, it is in fact irrelevant and useless.

Argument: Fire Emblem is not very marketable for Nintendo.

Let's start with this.
It starts....

Position: Both Fire Emblem AND Mother are beloved and popular franchises in Japan and in the west (mostly Japan) and they are important parts of Nintendo history.

Argument :Fire Emblem is a marketable.

You serious? Awakening just came out and it was a major release in the west! It sold a ton of copies! Not to mention FE7 which sold lots of copies as well with FE8, FE9, FE10 selling decently in the west as well. FE11 sold badly, but hey one fluke is fine. Every series has its flukes. Even great ones like Mairo, Zelda and Smash Bros. And that is just talking about the west. In Japan, it's HUGE!!! More popular than Metroid, Starfox and F-Zero there. Sales wise, it is certainly a success. If it's not marketable, why do they sell well, and why does Nintendo still make them? It's because they are successful. It's no mega money producer like Mario or Pokemon but it is certainly profitable.

Marth got into Melee because of popularity and requests. He was included with the likes of Bowser, Peach and Mewtwo because he was a popular character that topped polls that Sakurai used to pick characters.When Sakurai chose newcomers in Melee, he had three methods.
A. Popular requests, AKA the poll ( :bowsermelee: :marthmelee: :mewtwomelee: :peachmelee:)
B. Characters he thought would be a good surprise ( :icsmelee: :gawmelee: :sheikmelee: :zeldamelee:)
C. Last minute clones. (:drmario: :falcomelee: :ganondorfmelee: :younglinkmelee: :roymelee: :pichumelee:)

Marth was a popular character. Popular enough to rank with Bowser, Peach and Mewtwo. How can a character from an unpopular series rank that high?

And mind you, this is before he got into Smash so his popularity wasn't boosted that way. The series and it's characters has a great amount of star power. On par with other Nintendo greats such as Samus, Fox and Captain Falcon, if not surpassing some of them. The series is certainly well liked by a lot of people. And why is it well liked by a lot of people? Because people enjoyed the games.

Fire Emblem is a popular and successful series. It's a money maker and a popular one at that. To say it isn't marketable is foolish. To clear something up...
mar·ket·a·ble
ˈmärkitəbəl
adjective

1. 1.
    able or fit to be sold or marketed.

"the fish are perfectly marketable"
Here is the definition of marketable. Fire Emblem certainly fits this.It sells quite a bit and makes money too.

How is it not marketable?

Well there's my rebuttal.
This is gonna be interesting.

EDIT: Aw darn. He already wrote something? I though I was supposed to reply.

Ah well. I'll get to his reply....

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Swamp be prepared for more false sales numbers and that the "Japanese audience doesn't count" or some rubbish like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom