• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
No, I just think that Pit in Brawl had awful specials and poorly designed aerials. Oh, and his voice actor was terrible.

At least in Smash WiiU and Smash 3DS they fixed him up.
I thought his voice fine.

Hated his S and D specials though, and I agree the aerials were rather poorly designed. (and the specials were donwright annoying)

I'm glad theres so much from Uprising that has replaced some of his ones from Brawl.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Pit already had a shield that blocked EVERYTHING that wasn't behind him, his Side B never should've had reflective properties.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I only found an issue with his voice actor in the US version. He seemed pretty good otherwise moveset-wise. I didn't see any issues.

Oh, you meant awful as in they were not made well overall, not "they sucked". Yeah, agreed they could use work, save his Up B and B.
Pit's US voice actor was trash, and yeah, that's what I meant. His Japanese voice actor is fairly famous.

And moveset-wise, the aerials all look awkward, which is why many of them got changed.

And the B was the only useful move, but its' function in conjecture with the rest of the moveset was bad. That move could easily be made good (see: Project M).

The Up B was freaking stupid, which is why it appears to be gone.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Pit's D-special was enough, the S-special shouldn't have had the reflective properties, and the fact at how it can build up damage and somewhat easy to spam (in my experience) all made it downright annoying.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Pit's D-special was enough, the S-special shouldn't have had the reflective properties, and the fact at how it can build up damage and somewhat easy to spam (in my experience) all made it downright annoying.
ESPECIALLY when CPUs do it. It's also INCREDIBLY frustrating in free-for-alls.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
There is no debate that Pit was trash and poorly made in Brawl, except by fools, fanboys, and freaking ignorant people. Still, Pit's moveset, skillset, and playstyle has tons of potential, which I think will be mostly discovered and realized in Smash WiiU and/or Smash 3DS.
What happens when belligerent elitists ARE skilled regular tournament goers?
There are very few of them, and they usually aren't that good.

And t0mmy isn't elitist, he and his twin brother are nice as hell, and yes, I have played with them and talked with them before.

The difference with you and him in terms of his opinion is that he hates the camping gameplay, and he is dedicated to stopping it. Really, a lot of things right with the community are thinks to t!mmy and t0mmy. He is right in his eyes because he has tons of experience, and has dealt with campy as heck players and tournaments on a large scale, where you probably haven't.

Your views of stages really don't match Brawl's gameplay on a national level, even with Meta Knight banned, especially in which the way the game is played. At a small scale level, eh, what's popular survives above all else.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
@Johnknight: When you quoted my post where I mentioned elitists, I was referring to that minority you mentioned. I am well aware that not all tournament players are like that.

Making generalizations like that is something I avoid and would make me lose the credibility of my posts.

Anyhow, regarding SSB4, I think the veterans I'm mostly looking forward to play as are Pit and Bowser. I would like to try their new moves and all that.

Of the newcomers, all three look unique and fun to play as. Reminds me how the first character I played in Brawl was Wario, since he was one of my most wanted characters for Brawl and wanted to try out a new character, instead of playing as a veteran.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
@Johnknight: When you quoted my post where I mentioned elitists, I was referring to that minority you mentioned. I am well aware that not all tournament players are like that.

Making generalizations like that is something I avoid and would make me lose the credibility of my posts.
Well it sounded like you were charging that was a majority. Either I misread it or you weren't careful with your words, but I will side with the former.
Anyhow, regarding SSB4, I think the veterans I'm mostly looking forward to play as are Pit and Bowser. I would like to try their new moves and all that.
They definitely look the most changed.
Of the newcomers, all three look unique and fun to play as.
Much like the first 5 Brawl newcomer reveals.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
why couldn't the Smashbros site be as detailed and as robust as the brawl site?
you only get pics... ever! and maybe you get a trailer but we have yet to see that, olimar and pikmin didn't get a trailer!

music isn't available to sample, we can't see the moves all set up.
I think without words it is better, because it took too much of Sakurai's time. He really ought to have someone else write the words, sans the Miiverse updates.

And yeah, I would love some tabs for stages, music, and other stuff, but that will likely come in due time.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~

We never got to discussing stages. He wrapped himself in a cocoon of fallacy, especially question dodging, and gave out as little information as physically possible to hide whatever his actual opinion might be. I couldn't even get to the discussing part.

I figured we don't agree on things, not surprised at all. Both philosophies are different and wish to test different skills, it's the problem of insulting one side and doing whatever you can to hide you did behind fallacy that bugs me. We can't even get to the point of talking about ideas. Also bothers me.

Maybe he treats others differently, dunno. I hope he isn't the same as he was way back, going through tons of stage discussions the answers "it's ********" and the like came up OFTEN and he frequently showed he lacked knowledge on certain subjects he discussed. But you know him better than I, so if you say he's good I respect your opinion as I respect you.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I think stage, music, item and other sections will come out later. Think of what happened with Brawl. The Dojo had a major overhaul when Sakurai started updating it every weekday.

Sakurai has already stated that he won't be as detailed as he was in Brawl, so he could focus on the development of the game. That means we shouldn't expect anything like the Dojo.

augustoflores

Smash Hero
NNID
augustoflores
3DS FC
4828-5782-2252
Switch FC
SW-2867-0942-2202
at least provide the B moves; it's text, how much time is it going to take?

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
It's the year of Luigi, I wanna see a reworked Luigi already! Even less clone than before! With his vacuum!

But mostly I screwed around with him in Melee the other day and suddenly enjoyed him so I wanna see him good in sm4sh

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
What happens when belligerent elitists ARE skilled regular tournament goers?
And what's the ratio for assholes to non-assholes? Anybody got a number?

You need to shift your focus away from the assholes and start working over the people that are actually warm to the idea to start with. You're not going to win against the people that have been doing what they've been doing for God knows how long. You're not going to change their minds.

Your point shouldn't be about winning the argument, anyway. You don't win arguments; you simply compromise.

And then they get in the BRoom?

This has happened before and will happen again.

Speaking of interesting names, anyone here ever talked with T0MMY? If you haven't, DON'T. When you points out he uses fallacies, he uses fallacies to "prove" your accusation is wrong. Then when you point out THOSE fallacies are wrong, he does so again. The cycle NEVER end. And the fallacies he uses are numerous, and he doesn't know the full definitions of some of them when saying he didn't use them.

And BOY is he elitist. Then tries to act as though he isn't. Instead of talking about points in discussion or debate, he finds any way he can to get around doing so and presenting as little as possible while ignoring any points he can.

I tried discussing with him, and I just had to quit. He'll decide his side was "victorious" his like minded friends will agree, and they'll say I'm an idiot regardless, might as well save stress.
I'd be careful about slinging mud, Capps. t0MMY has been around for years and has contributed quite a bit to the Brawl scene (along with his twin brother, t1mmy). Beyond that, feel free to give out examples of his fallacious thinking.

Smooth Criminal

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
"Clones" are overrated in terms of how much of a copy they are. Sure, most of them use more borrowed moves than most characters (sans Lucas; there's a lot more characters that aren't seen as clones that use more moves than him), but their playstyles are different.

But hey, people like to complain, especially when the clones have less borrowed moves, frames, and data each smash bros game.

BTW, I still do laugh when people call Lucas a clone yet they don't call half of the Smash 64 roster than (when most of the Smash 64 roster had more borrowed moves than him, and had more similar playstyles).

@ Aylus
Stop trying to win by beating everyone and start trying to win by living up to your expectations. Just because you have evidence to support one thing doesn't mean you are right. Your "evidence" on Pokémon Stadium 2, for an example, is seriously not evidence at all, and is extremely flawed.

Metal Overlord

Smash Hero
I hope that he keeps his Luigi Cyclone in some form like Mario did, but yeah

He needs that vacuum

And I'm just now hearing about a stereotype that black people always choose Luigi in games lol that makes me feel some type of way

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
Pit's US voice actor was trash, and yeah, that's what I meant. His Japanese voice actor is fairly famous.

And moveset-wise, the aerials all look awkward, which is why many of them got changed.

And the B was the only useful move, but its' function in conjecture with the rest of the moveset was bad. That move could easily be made good (see: Project M).

The Up B was freaking stupid, which is why it appears to be gone.
What's wrong with his UP B? It's one of the most unique Up B's in the game, it suits his character well, it's not useless but not overpowered, and it's fun to just mess around with sometimes.

Also I'm not sure if it's gone or it just has a lift off from the ground now. I really hope they didn't replace it with a generic diagonal raising recovery.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
\
I'd be careful about slinging mud, Capps. t0MMY has been around for years and has contributed quite a bit to the Brawl scene (along with his twin brother, t1mmy). Beyond that, feel free to give out examples of his fallacious thinking.

Smooth Criminal
There's probably not a point in discussing it further. You are right, I might as well not bother discussing things with people it will fall on def ears to anyway. But as mentioned, I tried to point things out and it seemed as though he wanted to just use another and another forever so the discussion could never go anywhere nor end. Maybe it's just a quirky debate style of some sort, it just irks me as a person who prefers straight forward discussion. And yes, I do know what the two of em have done for brawl, and it has been a lot. I just read and see things from waaaay back. Maybe it's because of that he's changed the way he discusses things to avoid such problems.

Stop quoting my posts, whenever you do you make me think and grow and stuff. STOP IT!!! I WANT TO REMAIN STUPID AND IGNORANT DARN IT!!!

Hm, I shall sling no more mud. Spose I just gotta see what happens with him in sm4sh. But I will probably avoid debating him for my health. Can't blame me there.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Capps, bro, you can discuss things to your heart's content. That's the whole point of a forum! You just have to pick and choose your battles, that's all. There's no use in doing what is more or less the equivalent of slamming your face into your desk a million-million times (in this case, talking the increasingly veteran Smash community into diffusing their methodology of competitive play). Don't get your jimmies rustled when somebody has a dissenting opinion; if you can form a counterargument and whatnot to that contrasting viewpoint, go ahead, but don't do it with the absolute certainty that you're right and they're wrong. And if they're coming off with a mountain of hubris and conceit? **** 'em. You don't need to continue on. You have nothing to prove. You've already said what you needed to say.

Keep in mind, bro, somebody is eventually going to read what you're saying and like it. That's another beautiful thing about forums: Unless moderators/admins decides to cleave whole swathes of thread into deletion, you've left your mark for the future. Who knows? Maybe you're going to have a person or three coming to you about future 3DS tourneys online or offline, or even the attention of a localized T.O. for the console version of the game. Online tourneys are surprisingly popular on Smashboards, and most importantly, they're a helluva lot more liberal in how they run. You'll get your time in the sun, bro. It just takes time.

Edit: @ Kamikazek:

Better question: Why the **** is a duck with knives sheathed underneath of its pinfeathers coming after you?

Smooth Criminal

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Smooth Criminal
Oh trust me, I come from an insane world were BOTH sides are right, but I choose to argue for my own side because it's the side I like more, just like others do. No shame in playing what you love, there is shame is others saying that's bad. I'll fight those people to the death.

And that is exactly what I intend to do with the discussion. A discussion can't go anywhere, so continuing it is pointless. Hopefully he'll understand. (Though people never seem to.)

And I got serious hopes for the future. I just would like one where everyone is informed when making decisions. I KNOW that didn't always happen in Brawl. (It's part of why I'm slaving away at making the huge data collection center. I want to make sure no one from smash can be ignorant unless they actively try to.) If someone wants to have conservative play they are good with me, it's the skills they want to test. They just need to avoid double standards, and be able to at times admit they may not have data or got rid of a non-random stage because they didn't like it and felt it didn't fit in. People need to admit sometimes rule making IS subjective. It HAS to be. It's not good reasoning, but pure honesty would turn on many players to understanding why people play that way. And definitely getting people to stop saying one side is competitive and the other isn't. The truth is they BOTH are, and I think that fact scares people so used to only being able to think they are right, and what makes many smash related debates that are similar the same ol' same ol' every time. (Melee v brawl COUGHCOUGH)

But oh yeah... Smash 3DS watch out. I have a strange feeling about this wave of the game. We have Smash on TWO consoles. We can actually afford to play BOTH ways reasonably, even if one console is dedicated to one way, and the other the other. There's no excuses this time, and as long as I'm around I wont let the stupidity happen to another game on BOTH sides.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Why must you hurt me in this way.
View attachment 1894
----
Being racist is completely ****ed up. Sorry bro, your mentality just isn't the right one. And as a upcoming father (3 months) of a half black baby boy, I will not tollerate any comments of racism. Hope you'll see the light soon. We're all equals as human beings.

Pro tip: get a black friend or two.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
While we're on the topic of voice clips, I hope Mewtwo's (assuming he returns) change, or at least some of them.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Being racist is completely ****ed up. Sorry bro, your mentality just isn't the right one. And as a upcoming father (3 months) of a half black baby boy, I will not tollerate any comments of racism. Hope you'll see the light soon. We're all equals as human beings.

Pro tip: get a black friend or two.

Why must you hurt me in this way.

----

Yeah, you're kinda taking my comment a little too seriously, bro.

I wasn't always like this. I grew up anti-racist like most people, except I didn't know much about politics back then so I didn't know anything about left-wing or right-wing stuff.

I'm a "nice racist", though; I'm thinking of uploading something to my dA that states my views on race, abortion, etc, in order to clear up some confusion, but I'm too lazy at the moment.

I grew up with some Africans and many Mestizos in grade school and I'm on good terms with most of my peers in general, but I don't like saying that, though, cause it sounds like the "I'm not racist, but..." excuse. :rolleyes:

...sorry for going off topic.
----

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
How do you think that Sm4sh will compare to all the other ones?
I don't think we know enough about the game to compare it to the past games yet.

But hey, what do I know? I haven't been here very long and I'm not the most insightful person.

I think it all depends on the physics and content, we don't know much about it yet.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Well, you're definitely from deviantArt.
If you're referring to what I think you're referring to, then I got a good laugh out of that.

...What were you referring to?
Whiny journals, the types of art, my views, etc?

Sorry for going off topic again guys, but I want to know.

How do you think that Sm4sh will compare to all the other ones?
Well, for now I'm assuming that it will be about as good as Brawl, possibly between Brawl and Melee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom