• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I blame Wii Fit Trainer for all this pessimistic turn of events.
I remember when I we are the Skype call and we found out about Wii Fit Trainer... It sure was a buzz kill coming off of the reveal trailer LOL

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I wouldn't blame only her. She kind of showed how we really can't predict anything, and then AC kind of blew any solid evidence against characters (Like things Sakurai has said about specific characters) to smithereens. We looked over Villager because we were told to, and even then Sakurai was like "loljk"
Balloon Fighter, Excitebiker, Bubbles, Urban Champion, and Sukapon confirmed. :troll:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Likelihood, real or perceived, is not a valid reason to support a character, nor is it a valid excuse to disregard a character. You should know this as a Geno supporter.
Now, I understand the not using part, you have no emotional tie or foreknowledge of this character, but that is, in my opinion, a flimsy excuse to call a character 'meh'.
I would rather inform myself and invest interest into characters, if this is not done, all choices are 'meh'. I had the same feeling towards Paper Mario and Bowser Jr for the longest time, then I actually decided to go look at the potential competition, though I'd only played TTYD and almost never interacted with Bowser Jr, while I support neither and think their opportunity costs too high to be desirable, I can say with certitude that neither are 'meh' as I know the word.
While I agree most other Fire Emblem choices are 'meh', I would encourage you to seek it out to see for certain, I know that Anna is by far the least 'meh' Fire Emblem character that is possible for Smash (on possibility, she is the mascot after all).
Yes, I am attempting to gauge and am assuming what you have or have not done in regards to your knowledge of this character.
I wasn't calling Anna meh, I was calling Chrom Marth and Ike meh

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
When the Brawl reveal happened, I was incredibly hyped about the great new characters they were showing from Nintendo's history right at the starting line. The roster didn't disappoint.

Now I feel uneasy about the new Nintendo characters they are including due to the wacky nature and lack of personality of the two currently revealed. Is this the best they got?

When the guest character completely overshadows the main roster in the public's mind, that is a problem.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
Cause nothing causes more hype than people shutting up right?

Less talking about the roster means people are apathetic about it, and that isn't good for the game.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
My favorite comment was when someone said Marth and Roy would be cut since they're clones. Both of them.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Well, whether you believe it or not, Anna is a choice, I'm assuming you're going with the 'not a choice' because otherwise this statement would conflict with your earlier statement about all Fire Emblem choices being meh. :3

ThatPersonGuy

Smash Cadet
When the Brawl reveal happened, I was incredibly hyped about the great new characters they were showing from Nintendo's history right at the starting line. The roster didn't disappoint.

Now I feel uneasy about the new Nintendo characters they are including due to the wacky nature and lack of personality of the two currently revealed. Is this the best they got?

When the guest character completely overshadows the main roster in the public's mind, that is a problem.
*cough cough* SNAKE *cough cough*

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
*cough cough* SNAKE *cough cough*
From what I remember of that time period, people all over the internet were heavily debating whether Snake fit into the roster and the whole concept of guest characters and what constituted a good guest character, while also being really excited about the new characters in general.

Now it's sort of the opposite: people are really excited for the guest character without question while Wii Fit Trainer and to a lesser extent Villager are being debated as questionable additions.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
From what I remember of that time period, people all over the internet were heavily debating whether Snake fit into the roster and the whole concept of guest characters and what constituted a good guest character, while also being really excited about the new characters in general.

Now it's sort of the opposite: people are really excited for the guest character without question while Wii Fit Trainer and to a lesser extent Villager are being debated as questionable additions.
I question Wii Fit Trainer, but there is no reason why Villager should be questioned

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453

Villager isn't questionable.

He has a clever moveset using a number of items from his series, the fact at how he has never normally fought before is not enough to question him.

Wii Fit Trainer I understand though.

Conviction

Human Nature
3DS FC
1907-8951-4471
There is a standard I hold the Smash roster to uphold. While WFT disappoints me, it doesn't ruin that standard; I'm still eager on a good roster. Certain core characters that make the roster good aren't going anywhere.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

Remember what Sakurai said about the lack of character-driven (first-party) franchises after Pikmin in the All-Star Mode update in the Brawl Dojo? Well, Animal Crossing and Wii Fit aren't exactly character-driven franchises... I am guessing Sakurai decided to make do with casual (first-party) franchises that showed up after Pikmin's debut. :awesome:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Yeah, there's a lot less "obvious" additions this time around then there were for Brawl. Heck, I'd argue that everybody but ROB, Wolf, and Pokemon Trainer were super obvious from the get-go.
I'd argue the same thing, but with Snake and ZSS as not-super obvious picks instead of Wolf and Pokemon Trainer, who were requested. This is why I'm confident the popular characters we were all predicting to show up at E3 are still in the game; barring a token number of shock picks, Sakurai has always listened to what we've wanted the most.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'd argue the same thing, but with Snake and ZSS as not-super obvious picks instead of Wolf and Pokemon Trainer, who were requested. This is why I'm confident the popular characters we were all predicting to show up at E3 are still in the game; barring a token number of shock picks, Sakurai has always listened to what we've wanted the most.
They may have been requested, but they weren't expected

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
They may have been requested, but they weren't expected
I'd chalk that up to miscalculation on our end, rather than Sakurai choosing them out of left field...not so much with Pokemon Trainer, but definitely with Wolf, whose fanbase was as large as Krystal's, but much less vocal. It's a similar sort of miscalculation that happened with Villager, in that, to everyone who wasn't jaded (in this case, by an encyclopedic knowledge of Sakurai's interviews), he was an obvious choice.

Comeback Kid

Smash Champion
Villager is just an avatar you customize though, and a pretty plain one at that as depicted here.

If the Mii were a character with basically the same moveset from a series of party games, people would riot and gnash their teeth in rage.

But a blank avatar from a game with much more interesting animal villagers with great personalities is seen as 10,000 times better for some reason.

inb4Linkhasnopersonality

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
OMG KIRBY"S DREAMLAND 2 WAS FINALLY RELEASED IN THE ESHOP!!!

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
3DS

I've been waiting for it for a long while. It was one of my favorite games on the gameboy, even throughout high school

Of course we didn't have your fancy DS' when I was in high school or anything

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Villager is an avatar though, and a pretty plain one at that.

If the Mii were a character with basically the same moveset from a series of party games, people would riot and gnash their teeth in rage.

But a blank avatar from a game with much more interesting animal villagers with great personalities is seen as 10,000 times better for some reason.

inb4Linkhasnopersonality
Yes, you are right... Villager is more interesting because he is surrounded by furries... though I cannot blame Villager for having psychotic tendencies, given that his neighbors are all furries. :troll:

However, Mii can be interesting as well... Mii could fight using activities seen in Wii Sports, Wii Play, Wii Party, Wii Music, Pilotwings Resort, and even StreetPass Mii Plaza... basically anything that Villager and Wii Fit Trainer don't do.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I was extremely disappointed that coo and cutter was nerfed in Dreamland 3

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
It's a shame some villains won't be seen in any future games of their series or possibily even Smash.

Giygas will probably never show up again.

Zero and Zero Two have been referenced multiple times though.

Maybe they might appear in Smash at some point, since Smash is usually rated T for teens. (Melee wasn't that violent aside from it being a fighting game though, Brawl had Snake. And Master Hand bleeding)

Reznor

work in progress
3DS

I've been waiting for it for a long while. It was one of my favorite games on the gameboy, even throughout high school

Of course we didn't have your fancy DS' when I was in high school or anything
well I just ordered the Kirby Dream Land Collection for the Wii so i'll just play Dream Land 2 on the wii
the Kirby game I played the most as a kid was Crystal Shards mixing powers is one of the funnest things ever

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
And Roy is the opposite of "meh".

Which means Roy is "hem".

"For those whom I must hem, I will not lose!" :roymelee:

Y'know, in the beginning I've always wanted the story mode (or whatever) to be more darker in Smash 4... Um, kinda hard to explain, but with all the theories going on I kinda get vibes that Smash has some hidden layers of unintentional dark/physiological themes. But yeah, probably not going to happen now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom