• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Awakening from the hour or so I've played on a friend's 3DS that I've played, has the best gameplay system of any Fire Emblem game to date, bar none.

That automatically should make it the most popular game in the franchise...

...along with that masterpiece of a soundtrack. Dear Saint Mario that are like 20 songs from that soundtrack I have considered adding to my Project M mod, and about 5 of which I have on my Project M currently.
Agreed 100%. The gameplay is much more simplified than Radiant Dawn, but still manages to be complex.

The addition of Newcomer Mode (or Casual Mode as it's called in the US) is good for series and SRPG beginners and welcomes players that would have walked away from the game due to the permanent death feature. Yet, it doesn't alienate FE veterans by keeping Classic Mode which is just like the other FE games. A win-win situation without a doubt.

The soundtrack is simply fantastic. Many memorable tunes that help set the mood in the varied moments of the story. Being orchestrated is also a big plus.
The DLC maps including music from previous FE games gives a good dose of nostalgia for FE veterans as well.

I agree with everything you said about Tharja.
As for Fire Emblem: Awakening on a whole, I found the game to be too kind for the player. The shimmering spots on the stage and the barracks (Especially when it comes to characters and their birthdays) made powering up your army a bit too easy. (the highest I've played was Lunatic)

I wish for the next FE to do away with such hand-outs (or at least leave them to the lover difficulties or make it casual mode exclusive), and not give players free stat increases an clutch weapons so freely.
Given that the game has more grinding options, such as the side stories, Risen skirmishes, SpotPass teams or DLC maps, this was inevitable, but if you don't grind, the game can still be a challenge. The events on the barracks and the event tiles could be nerfed for higher difficulties, by giving less useful items more often and not giving as much exp. Barrack events could occur in bigger time intervals in higher difficulties too.

About Tharja, I'm actually kind of glad that I wasn't the only one who felt disturbed with her characterization. :laugh:
Really, there's nothing likeable about her. Even Henry manages to be a likeable character and actually has character development through his support conversations. Tharja doesn't have that. She's creepy in the beginning and still creepy in the end.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Tharja was fine with me because she at least had characterization, nine times out of ten if someone does I'll find something I like about them. It's those that don't leave an impression I hope never to return.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
And that was the last of the 5 songs I added, because the other 4 were better IMO.

Where are your favorites then? That was mine. I had chills when that played during the Mustafa chapter, and it surprised me at first because it played in a battle. But it captured the mood so perfectly, and three minutes in there is this part that really hits me. I'm not sure if there was another piece that did anything like that with me in this game, although there was a lot of good music.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Where are your favorites then? That was mine. I had chills when that played during the Mustafa chapter, and it surprised me at first because it played in a battle. But it captured the mood so perfectly, and three minutes in there is this part that really hits me. I'm not sure if there was another piece that did anything like that with me in this game, although there was a lot of good music.
Poor Mustafa. I actually felt for the guy, you know? I wish he could have been recruited, since the only other Berserkers are only available through reclassing.

[Collapse=Awakening Spoilers]I wish you could have gotten him as a Spotpass character along with the other characters in the story who "died."[/Collapse]

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
What's so bad about "creepy" characters?

Smooth Criminal
It's not so much on the creepy part, but more on how disturbing the character is. Henry is also a very creepy character, but he's one of my favorite characters of FE:A.
I'm not denying that Tharja has characterization, but she's pretty much a disturbing character and that's why I don't like her.

Anyway, I was just stating my opinion. Anyone who likes her may have their own reasons, even if I don't agree with them.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Given that the game has more grinding options, such as the side stories, Risen skirmishes, SpotPass teams or DLC maps, this was inevitable, but if you don't grind, the game can still be a challenge. The events on the barracks and the event tiles could be nerfed for higher difficulties, by giving less useful items more often and not giving as much exp. Barrack events could occur in bigger time intervals in higher difficulties too.

About Tharja, I'm actually kind of glad that I wasn't the only one who felt disturbed with her characterization. :laugh:
Really, there's nothing likeable about her. Even Henry manages to be a likeable character and actually has character development through his support conversations. Tharja doesn't have that. She's creepy in the beginning and still creepy in the end.
The random skirmishes I don't mind and I actually enjoy them! It wasn't as abuseable like Sacred Stones' Tower.
I hope they do something about the second seal too, i found out once you reclass your units to pick up to get skills the game becomes considerably easier (You still must be smart to some degree, you can't be reckless, but easier none the less).

My Chrom for example, I quickly reclassed him to a Cavalier → Paladin to grab all of the skills and as soon as he hit 15 as a Paladin and then I reclassed him to finally a Great Lord where he became so clutch that nearly every enemy I encountered had a hit percent of like 34% or lower. I did this to several other characters and mid way through the Valm part of the game I had a team that was untouchable to some degree. So if the can find a way to tone that down i'll be good. Overall Awakening is am amazing game! have you finished it yet?

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
The random skirmishes I don't mind and I actually enjoy them! It wasn't as abuseable like Sacred Stones' Tower.
I hope they do something about the second seal too, i found out once you reclass your units to pick up to get skills the game becomes considerably easier (You still must be smart to some degree, you can't be reckless, but easier none the less).

My Chrom for example, I quickly reclassed him to a Cavalier → Paladin to grab all of the skills and as soon as he hit 15 as a Paladin and then I reclassed him to finally a Great Lord where he became so clutch that nearly every enemy I encountered had a hit percent of like 34% or lower. I did this to several other characters and mid way through the Valm part of the game I had a team that was untouchable to some degree. So if the can find a way to tone that down i'll be good. Overall Awakening is am amazing game! have you finished it yet?
When you reclass, you keep most of the stats you had with slight changes done depending on the class. That allows you to keep leveling up until you have maxed stats which are much higher than previous Fire Emblem games.

I have finished the story mode and cleared all side stories, but I haven't cleared all DLC maps yet. (Some of them haven't been released in Europe yet.)

FE: Awakening is a very good game and had some amazing moments during the storyline. I missed some elements from Radiant Dawn such as the Halberdier class and Light magic (there is one Light tome, Book of Naga, though...), but overall, I can't really complain! :laugh:

I think one of the flaws of the game is that the characters from previous FE games were lazily done. Their battle models are actually Avatars with an appearance to match the character as closely as possible, which becomes painfully obvious with some characters, causing them to barely look like their original appearances. (Oliver is one notable example as his battle model looks nothing like him due to the lack of facial hair options for the Avatar. Another jarring example is the Black Knight, since their outfits are colored like the team they're on, meaning he never has black armor.)

I wasn't challenging your opinion. I was just curious.

Smooth Criminal
Well, you asked a question and I merely gave my opinion... You are free to disagree with it.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Black Knight would've been better if named Zelgius. His battle animation looks most like Zelgius anyway. It's kinda weird seeing Roy and Ike carrying big shields as well. I hope if they ever do this feature again with previous characters, they indeed do put more effort in them. Black Knight and Zephiel should've used swords instead of lances and axes, despite Generals not being able to use swords in Awakening. These sort of characters need special classes, like Marth got.

With a new Fire Emblem I hope they do this again, but if they have to: limit the characters. Keep just iconic ones as most Lord characters with special classes and animations (yet based on actual classes). If they'd only use Lords that'd be fine to. Heck, I'd take only cameos of Ike and Marth to, as long as they're done well, have Ragnell and Falchion and all.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
It could have been cool if he'd had Zelgius as his name, and have his class be "Black Knight." That way they could even give him black armor, since certain classes, like the Dread Fighter or Assassin, wore a lot of Black, as opposed to the color of the team they were on.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Not a matter of agreeing or disagreeing, Frosty. You gave a good enough impression, and I respect that.

Sheesh, what do ya'll take me for? Some internet dumb-dumb who can't understand any viewpoints but his own? :troll:

Smooth Criminal

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
We talking about Awakening now? It's my least favorite of the Fire Emblem games(I've played all the ones released in English, but none of the Japanese only ones), by a very long shot. I really liked the sheer amount of support conversations since that's one of my favorite things about the series, the plot had a few shinning moments, and I like the characters for the most part(except Chrom and Robin), but my God did I hate the game play. HATED IT. Maybe I'm just too stupid (very likely) but I couldn't find any stagey in the game. Almost every map was a rout map with tons of enemies, the enemy almost always rushed you, most maps weren't very interesting, with several basically being open fields. The game had grinding which I never like and especially not in fire emblem, and unlike sacred stones which I (despite admittedly being very bad at strategy games) could make it clear through with no grinding, I couldn't make it through some of the levels in awakening where enemies just run down your throat without grinding...and then everything after that was too easy. And in terms of money/items I was drowning in money and weapons even though I stopped trying to conserve about halfway through, to say nothing of getting fantastic items for free through the bonus box. I also didn't like the way the class system works but that's strictly personal preference. Also I found most of the music boring. The game quickly became an agonizing obstacle for me to go through to get the support conversations and to see the rest of the plot. Rant rant rant

Rant aside I am surprised and glad other people liked it so much, though I am worried that with the popularity of the game the developers will go a similar direction with their next game.

Oddyesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Oddyesy
We talking about Awakening now? It's my least favorite of the Fire Emblem games(I've played all the ones released in English, but none of the Japanese only ones), by a very long shot. I really liked the sheer amount of support conversations since that's one of my favorite things about the series, the plot had a few shinning moments, and I like the characters for the most part(except Chrom and Robin), but my God did I hate the game play. HATED IT. Maybe I'm just too stupid (very likely) but I couldn't find any stagey in the game. Almost every map was a rout map with tons of enemies, the enemy almost always rushed you, most maps weren't very interesting, with several basically being open fields. The game had grinding which I never like and especially not in fire emblem, and unlike sacred stones which I (despite admittedly being very bad at strategy games) could make it clear through with no grinding, I couldn't make it through some of the levels in awakening where enemies just run down your throat without grinding...and then everything after that was too easy. And in terms of money/items I was drowning in money and weapons even though I stopped trying to conserve about halfway through, to say nothing of getting fantastic items for free through the bonus box. I also didn't like the way the class system works but that's strictly personal preference. Also I found most of the music boring. The game quickly became an agonizing obstacle for me to go through to get the support conversations and to see the rest of the plot. Rant rant rant

Rant aside I am surprised and glad other people liked it so much, though I am worried that with the popularity of the game the developers will go a similar direction with their next game.
Shinning? Dude, you've just reminded me of Circle of the Moon.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
I need a Henry Assist Trophy. I DEMAND IT.
Will he use Fiddlesticks' ult like he introduced him- CAW CAW CAW CAW CAW CAW!

Tharja gives me the vibe of a Satanist by archetype. Sometimes I try to imagine what it would like being around her with the stalking, nuanced lustful feelings, cynicism, attitude, not to mention what she did to Niore. :sadeyes: On a side note, I think Owain's "My sword arm twitches." is most notable about him.

Anyways, Awakening was probably the best FE game for me to start on (though I do hear things about Sacred Stones.) The gameplay system is certainly the best in the series. The story is executed neatly and the characters are diverse and come from all walks of life. Though there's one thing that bothers me; oversaturation. Since there's so much to do with reclassing, maps, DLC, etc. I get to a point where I cannot manage things from my units to my inventory. The Risen and avatar encounters are good for grinding, but it feels like I have to clear some of them off after a while despite unspawning at random every time I play. I also felt like certain items I get later on have to be conserved (e.g., Book of Naga) for their value in battle, especially for holding onto essential characters. The presentation of the DLC/SpotPass characters is also a hackjob. They're just character heads on models for classes with static (but beautiful) fanart as their icons as well as sharing the same dialogue for most events.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Late for the discussion I was trying to contribute to again. I outta make a new mandate for forum posts.

Also, clock slowly ticks away to the day I have to do my college placement test.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Happy August, everyone! You know what that means? New character reveal expected sometime within this moth! Oh, and I'll change my Town Tune in New Leaf to another video game OST bit. Suggestions on both?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom