• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Bros 4 (Wii U/3DS) Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I like finding out who all the hidden characters(third parties excluded) by playing the game myself. So I'll just go with that instead. I find it more fun to discover it for yourself.

As for the Cutscene thing, it's not just because they put them online. Sakurai felt that they're a reward for actually playing the game. People who watch them online didn't earn it. So it goes against his views. It's an overreaction, but in his case, it does make quite a bit of sense, especially after Brawl had a giant reward-based system.
Viewing it as a reward is good, but he certainly overreacted to it. It's like saying that people who watch them without earning them means that those who did earn them should no longerr have
them.

Also, I agree. I'll probably try and discover them all myself.

Namine X Kairi
(shoots a cannonball at your house)

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I felt just as good viewing the cut scenes in game as I did watching them online first

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
He should've done what ZUN does, then. Next to nobody posts endings to Touhou games because of one guy's personal wishes (ZUN himself).

What ZUN did to make it so that people are still doing that is a mystery to me, but it worked. :chuckle:
I doubt that would work for Sakurai. XD

Viewing it as a reward is good, but he certainly overreacted to it. It's like saying that people who watch them without earning them means that those who did earn them should no longerr have
them.

Also, I agree. I'll probably try and discover them all myself.
...Sakurai may actually think that too. That you should only watch them during story mode. I'm sure the reason we can watch them outside of it(on the game disc) is that it would piss people off if you could only do it once. Or had to go through everything every single time. A compromise to his views and keeping players happy, if you will.

All the cutscenes for For are going to be online, anyway.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Oh god that gamefaqs article... Even PSAS has crossplay! The crossplay was horrible and one of the largest reasons the netcode is worse then Brawl...
The online is even worse than Brawl's? Good lord. :facepalm:

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
The online is even worse than Brawl's? Good lord. :facepalm:

Dude... It's the worst netcode I've ever seen... SO many online only glitches too. It's bad enough it crashes and sometimes ruins (very rarely) your PS3.

And the only tournaments for t still going are online only! XD

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
One thing the idiots at GameFAQs need to realize is that you can be a fan of a character in Smash Bros. without having played their game or series, and that does not make you any less a legitimate fan of that character.

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
I think it's also because the SSE was 60% of the developement,maybe the cutscenes needed a lot of time too and Sakurai might think it's all wasted.

EDIT : ??? , I'm having much less problems with my PSASBR than people are complaining about,I rarely have any problem online...

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Also, I have been reading some Japanese fan reviews for FE13, and there has interestingly been complaints about the animu direction that game went in. Gives me a little hope that FE14 does not continue to go down that path, but I'm not holding my breath on it.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I think it's also because the SSE was 60% of the developement,maybe the cutscenes needed a lot of time too and Sakurai might think it's all wasted.
it's exactly how I view it I think that Sakurai that the ratio effort:result wouldn't be as good as it would if there's was no uploads (btw, notice how he said in the articles that talks about it that he and his team "worked hard" to make those cs)

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Hey, you never know until you try. :p
Zun also allows them to sell Mangas of his work without paying him. So... not so sure it's as easy.

70%, and different branches probably worked upon the cutscenes, but Sakurai still had to make sure to exact character choices were equivalent to each cutscene at the start of each level, and make sure each level caters to the base starting characters as best as possible. Balance and all. It's very time-consuming. Remove the cutscenes? A lot less work in that regard. You can go all out with your character choices and bosses, and not base them upon cutscenes or anything like that.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Dude... It's the worst netcode I've ever seen... SO many online only glitches too. It's bad enough it crashes and sometimes ruins (very rarely) your PS3.

And the only tournaments for t still going are online only! XD
Oh wow, now I know why thats one of the reasons the community died so quickly.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
One thing the idiots at GameFAQs need to realize is that you can be a fan of a character in Smash Bros. without having played their game or series, and that does not make you any less a legitimate fan of that character.
Well, being a fan of the character from Super Smash Bros. and the fan of the character from the series of origin are kind of two different things. There is such a discrepancy that at times characters tend to even be entirely different. For example, the Captain Falcon in Super Smash Bros. and the Captain Falcon in F-Zero behave and function differently.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Oh wow, now I know why thats one of the reasons the community died so quickly.

No kidding, the game having horrendous balance (they nerfed low tiers and buffed high tiers in a balance patch I kid you not, last patch we got/will ever get too) doesn't help either. OH and you know how games can have host advantage? PSAS is so bad it actually buffs characters to the point of you host or you lose.

As much as the game was unique and had potential, it needs to finally die.

Pékaßlu

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0147-0376-7641
Although im disappointed i feel that SSE being gone is a good thing. They can focus more on characters and stages we might even get an earlier release.

Mypantisgone

Smash Lord
I liked the game (PSASBR) a lot but it lacks so many features,I've literally only enjoyed story mode with each character,online and multiplayer...there ARE others modes but these aren't given any importance.I haven't played the game in a while.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
GameFAQs has very distorted views of character popularity. There is one side who will deem any character who gets a few requests concentrated among a handful of people "popular," such as Tharja/Owain. The other side claims that no one can be called popular and that Sakurai doesn't care about anything we say, just because we represent a small portion of the game's audience. As someone who believes character popularity is key, but not all-powerful, it's tough to reason with any of these people, because they're either incredibly insulated or ignorant of how our input has mattered in the past. This is why I rarely ever post seriously there, and instead just criticize the stupidity that stirs my attention the most.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
I liked the game (PSASBR) a lot but it lacks so many features,I've literally only enjoyed story mode with each character,online and multiplayer...there ARE others modes but these aren't given any importance.I haven't played the game in a while.

Dude, you are about to post your 1000th message, make it count bro.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Well, being a fan of the character from Super Smash Bros. and the fan of the character from the series of origin are kind of two different things. There is such a discrepancy that at times characters tend to even be entirely different. For example, the Captain Falcon in Super Smash Bros. and the Captain Falcon in F-Zero behave and function differently.

Wait, so F-Zero isn't about kneeing people in the face?

... I think we can all agree F-Zero would have been a much better series if the gameplay was mostly getting in your car, speeding towards a bounty target, and ejecting into them while falcon punching.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
They have to make a Final Fantasy with a secret character again. And many sidequests. That what was great about the games.

Final Fantasy 3 and 7 were very good. FF2 was as well, but did not have secret characters.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
GameFAQs has very distorted views of character popularity. There is one side who will deem any character who gets a few requests concentrated among a handful of people "popular," such as Tharja/Owain. The other side claims that no one can be called popular and that Sakurai doesn't care about anything we say, just because we represent a small portion of the game's audience. As someone who believes character popularity is key, but not all-powerful, it's tough to reason with any of these people, because they're either incredibly insulated or ignorant of how our input has mattered in the past. This is why I rarely ever post seriously there, and instead just criticize the stupidity that stirs my attention the most.
You pretty much summed it up better than I could.

Their obsession with minor FE13 characters still perplexes me though.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Wait, so F-Zero isn't about kneeing people in the face?
It's about racing at incredibly high velocities in a futuristic setting. Plus, you explode all day everyday!

Their obsession with minor FE13 characters still perplexes me though.
After seeing Chrom and Lucina, I could understand why people would want something else.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
They have to make a Final Fantasy with a secret character again. And many sidequests. That what was great about the games.

Final Fantasy 3 and 7 were very good. FF2 was as well, but did not have secret characters.

I'm kinda waiting for an HD, 3D remake of FF6 (FF3 US). It is, by far, my favorite FF game. FF4 was great too. I didn't think nearly as highly of FF7, but that might just be due to rabid fans turning me off from it all. I do think that the character arcs were a lot stronger in 6 and 4 than they were in 7, though.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Well, coming from a lurker's perspective, I have no idea where the Owain obsession came from. Tharja, however, began receiving requests after one false leak claimed she would be revealed in the E3 trailer alongside Marth in the game's opening sequence. People took that seriously, then never stopped supporting her once it was disconfirmed.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Well, coming from a lurker's perspective, I have no idea where the Owain obsession came from.
I have no idea either, it's like that guy just suddenly popped up out of no where. I would of at least expected Henry considering he's arguably the biggest dark horse in Fire Emblem: Awakening, but Owain seems to be a bit more random.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Hey, any Melee players in here? Need some help!

I've exhaustively studied how the stagelist for Brawl came to be, and now it's time for me to study Melee.

So, I'm curious as to anyone's personal experiences with stagelists from your area, as well as if someone knows a link to major discussion here (I've tried SO much and can't find anything) I'd love to hear it.

(inb4 go to melee boards, I want to ask the people I know here about this, I may go bug them later.)

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I've talked about Melee stage lists Aylas, and it is a lot more liberal than Brawl's because the gameplay is more offensive-centered (and generally the stages are smaller).
I'll take ten please.
Billy Mayes wants his 4 payments of $19.99 plus tax for each then please.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
What's legal right now then where you are from, vs what USED to be legal?
Neutral 5:
Fountain of Dreams
Battlefield
Fountain of Dreams (not in teams due to size and lag issues)
Yoshi's Story
Dreamland 64

Counter-pick:
Pokémon Stadium

Counter Pick Optional Tier 1:
Rainbow Cruise
Congo Jungle 64 (note: this is a neutral stage in teams, replacing Fountain of Dreams)
Corneria
Mute City

Other frequently used Counter-Picks:
Princess Peach's Castle
Jungle Japes
Kongo Jungle (Melee)
Mushroom Kingdom II

Ocassionally used Counter-Picks:
Termania: Great Bay (stage has too many issues and a bad layout)
Brinstar (lava creates camping and cheap kills)
Yoshi's Island (Melee) (the stage has a terrible layout)
Onett (same as Brinstar)
Flat Zone (the layout is fine until it changes; the dropping items interfere to much, and create too much stalling)

Super Banned:
Mushroom Kingdom (Melee) (no room to move)
Hyrule Temple (too big)
Brinstar Depths (worst design ever)
Yoshi's Island 64 (I take that back; this stage has a worst design)
Green Greens (promotes camping thanks to the stupid sides)
Venom (awful design)
Poké Floats (eh, this one gets hit a little hard, but it is not a very tournament friendly stage)
Big Blue (has lag issues, causes camping, and just doesn't function as a tournament stage)
Fourside (camping, too big)
Infinite Glacier (just... no)

Personally, I rather like the stage list, and it is pretty accurate to how useful the stages are. Still, it would be nice to see Poké Floats maybe used in a select few tournaments rather than basically none.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Say what you will about FE: Awakening's character cast, but I found the gameplay to be better (in my opinion, obviously) than Radiant Dawn's (the only other FE I've played). Some mechanics like branched promotions, reclassing, world map, side stories and skirmishes improve the quality of the game and offer the player more freedom instead of relying on too linear gameplay. (I know some of those were done in previous FE games, but I think they should stay for the next titles.)

I don't wish for any FE:A character in Smash, but I certainly wouldn't mind their presence in SSB4. I found the character cast to be more diverse than Radiant Dawn, mainly because of the Support Conversations that were absent in RD, which unfortunately left many characters uninteresting and lacking development.

The only character I really didn't like in Awakening was Tharja. She was just too creepy and disturbing to be likeable as a character.
You know most people have bad taste in characters when she manages to be one of the most popular characters of the game. (Why she is shouldn't be too hard to find out... :rolleyes:)

For the next FE game, I really wish they don't include a character like Tharja.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Awakening from the hour or so I've played on a friend's 3DS that I've played, has the best gameplay system of any Fire Emblem game to date, bar none.

That automatically should make it the most popular game in the franchise...

...along with that masterpiece of a soundtrack. Dear Saint Mario that are like 20 songs from that soundtrack I have considered adding to my Project M mod, and about 5 of which I have on my Project M currently.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Say what you will about FE: Awakening's character cast, but I found the gameplay to be better (in my opinion, obviously) than Radiant Dawn's (the only other FE I've played). Some mechanics like branched promotions, reclassing, world map, side stories and skirmishes improve the quality of the game and offer the player more freedom instead of relying on too linear gameplay. (I know some of those were done in previous FE games, but I think they should stay for the next titles.)

I don't wish for any FE:A character in Smash, but I certainly wouldn't mind their presence in SSB4. I found the character cast to be more diverse than Radiant Dawn, mainly because of the Support Conversations that were absent in RD, which unfortunately left many characters uninteresting and lacking development.

The only character I really didn't like in Awakening was Tharja. She was just too creepy and disturbing to be likeable as a character.
You know most people have bad taste in characters when she manages to be one of the most popular characters of the game. (Why she is shouldn't be too hard to find out... :rolleyes:)

For the next FE game, I really wish they don't include a character like Tharja.
I agree with everything you said about Tharja.
As for Fire Emblem: Awakening on a whole, I found the game to be too kind for the player. The shimmering spots on the stage and the barracks (Especially when it comes to characters and their birthdays) made powering up your army a bit too easy. (the highest I've played was Lunatic)

I wish for the next FE to do away with such hand-outs (or at least leave them to the lover difficulties or make it casual mode exclusive), and not give players free stat increases an clutch weapons so freely.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
...along with that masterpiece of a soundtrack. Dear Saint Mario that are like 20 songs from that soundtrack I have considered adding to my Project M mod, and about 5 of which I have on my Project M currently.

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
FE13 has the best gameplay of any FE game, but to be honest I didn't really care for the soundtrack, and everyone already knows my opinion on the characters/story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom