• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Battle Opera - West Lafayette, IN, USA

WarHippy

Smash Journeyman
*grumble grumble*

If pirating were only illegal and didn't actually hurt companies and therefore hurt individuals trying to make a living and support their families, I might not care as much. I know I wouldn't like to hear my pay had been docked or I was being laid off because too many people were stealing my company's product.

Do unto others.....

... anyway, moral and emotional appeal aside...

*grumble grumble* ... That still doesn't help me.
You know, if companies charged something fiscally responsible, I wouldn't mind paying for it.

But when FL Studio is 300 dollars, and then you have to pay hundreds of dollars for each plugin, synth and sample pack, f that noise I'm pirating it.
The solution to this problem is fairly simple. BunBun can just share it via mega-upload and send Faithkeeper the link. It's still illegal, but it's safe.

goosefactor

Smash Lord

also, thanks to anthony i've been spamming the **** out of "rofl"

like seriously wtf
Dude, I know! I say it like nonstop too. It's so dumb. When I first saw him using it I was like, "why the F would I ever choose that option over 'lol'? It's just one extra letter I have to type." But, here we are....I swear, I picked up so much gay crap from you two over the years, rofl.

BunBun

Smash Master
Companies don't charge stupid high prices because of piracy. Adobe and macromedia have been fscking people up the fiscal rectum for years before piracy was anything more than 'knowing a guy' who could give you flash 4 on 14 floppy drives, but you had to edit the registry yourself.

Lol argument is lol. I buy software that I can afford after I've pirated it. A good example would be finale.

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
What makes software different than music? Illegal downloading has hurt the music industry, I guess I don't get it.

And I wouldn't want an illegal copy of any of that, otherwise that could work hippy.

George's example is like saying someone copyrighted the concept of the DAW, whereas a more apt example would be an architect made a blueprint for this cabin and instead of being able to sell it, some people just took it. I can see the architect still making some money, but from my own personal views, I can't justify taking his blueprint simply because I want it. If I made the blueprint, I'd want paid for it. I did the work, I designed everything, is there anything wrong with my wanting compensation? If I overcharge, Bob over here can make his own blueprint and sell it for less. Maybe Bob's log cabins aren't as good as mine, then the buyer should have to decide if they want lower price or higher quality. Or in this case, they just steal my blueprint and tell themselves it's ok because I can sell other blueprints and I overcharged. And the paper it was on wasn't worth much, so sense I only lost potential profit rather than actual profit, I didn't really lose anything... right?

It seems more of a moral issue than anything, and I can't sit here and say my morals are right and yours are wrong, (nor vice versa in anyone else's situation) so while I think you are wrong (and you might think I'm wrong) neither one of us can really prove the other right or wrong. We can explain our viewpoints, and hey, maybe someone will change their minds, but my experience with the illegal downloading discussion is that it rarely gets anywhere. And personally, I don't see much point in arguing for the sake of arguing, so......

How'd you like China DEX? What are peoples' summer plans?

goosefactor

Smash Lord
All for the better, my dear branta
OMG, I had to look this up on Wiki, and I laughed so hard when I saw it was a black goose! LOLOL

Sadly though, this is getting to be more accurate, because lately, I've been doing so much yardwork at my dad's place that I'm beginning to look more and more like Carl.:( Maybe the sun isn't my friend afterall.:mad:

I <3 you, Carl.

iamthemicrowave

Smash Master
i just typed up a huge post and lost it...It went into lengths about how i don't think music pirating is wrong due to cloud computing(everyone shares storage space, and blurs the line on what is digitally "mine" and "yours"), and other stuff about how record labels are outdated.

Corey your example isn't really related to mine. Let me try and explain.

My example:

Bob builds the first log cabin. He copyrights this(so called intellectual property), and says no one else can make a log cabin without paying him a fee, because he copyrighted it. If they do, he will sue them and take their money(which would be legal). In these less modern times, he would prolly just beat them up/burn their house down/whatever they did before lawsuits.

Your example:

Bob is selling a design for a building. He doesn't want people to steal that design because he worked hard on it. Fair enough. The difference here is that Bob isn't preventing people from building houses because he invented the idea of a house(aka "has intellectual property rights on a house"). It shows how primitive the concept of IP is.

ShineDEX

Smash Journeyman
Illegal downloading has hurt the music industry
Illegal downloading hurt the music industry because they were ********. Rather than face the fact that they couldn't stop people from sharing music, they tried to get all bad@$$ on everyone and sue people for doing it. Problem was, there was no way they could ever sue everyone who downloaded, so all they really ended up doing was spending a bunch of resources essentially advertising to everyone that there was now a cool new way to get music for free.

Contrast this to the way television has handled the downloading phenomenon. Rather than try to sue everyone, they admit that there's no way they can stop that many people from doing what they want, so they're trying to take as much advantage of the new system as they can. Many popular shows are now encouraging people to watch them online by making them available free on their websites. What's more, they found a way to actually make money off of people doing this by putting commercials on them. No legal fees, no looking like a money-hungry bad guy, and increased awareness and viewership of their shows.

In response to your other thing, China was really great. Let me tell you guys that you haven't played magic unless you've gone to a prerelease in a foreign language. I also discovered a profound appreciation for Asian music along the way.

Summer plans: work at my internship, watch Prince of Persia, buy starcraft II.

WarHippy

Smash Journeyman
And I wouldn't want an illegal copy of any of that, otherwise that could work hippy.
Well, if you're really that dedicated to spending $300 then I won't stop you. If it's purely about being caught, then that's just a lack of knowledge about teh compooters. You could also use it for making one song, see how you like it, uninstall it, and then buy it.

Pirates Forever!

Rin10-10

Smash Ace
Rofl ... music is the single most pirated thing ... evar.

Also ... George ... you're arguing semantics. People can still build log cabins in your example, too ... they just have to be different than the one Bob built - because what your guy has copyrighted is also a design. If you're trying to say that he's copyrighted the house itself, then others can build a house without changing anything because - clearly - their house is not the same physical object as Bob's house. Actually, the whole thing is a really terrible (and impressively biased) example of intellectual property, but that's Wikipedia for you ...

Dex has the idea of it, though. Make a version of photoshop (or whatever) with garish advertisement slots, and make a killing off the ad placement royalties. Make it readily available, and people will stop pirating your software. Optionally, offer a version without the annoying advertisements for a (seemingly) reasonable premium. A few will buy it so they don't have to see Taco Bell ads every time they want to use the software, but most will just wonder why they suddenly want Mexican food.

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
I used my example because it more accurately described the scenario, not necessarily the Intellectual Property.

And getting caught isn't the concern, I just have trouble morally just taking something that was supposed to be paid for. Especially when I'd be taking it for selfish reasons and it's not a necessity. If I was starving, I might steal bread.

I liked the pirate song. I understood most of the Spanish, but it also reminded me how much I've forgotten. Did you learn Spanish from just living in FL?

goosefactor

Smash Lord
So ya, you guys should really get Mario Galaxy 2. It's a ****load of fun. I gotta collect my star bits and comet coins! :bee:

DracoFox

Smash Ace
So, the unemployment office has ever so failed me with johns up the ***.

Woman: "I'm sorry, but you didn't make enough money last year to qualify for benefits."

Me: "How's that supposed to even remotely help me when I just started working this year, AND my job just closed two weeks ago. What do I even qualify for?"

Woman: *silence for 1min* "I'm sorry."

Seriously... I'm ****ing screwed guys.

goosefactor

Smash Lord
Heh, Kirk, this is particularly funny to me because, sadly, my friend Matt and I took the time to finish this game just the other week for the first time. I laughed hardcore at the equipment shop and Matoya's cave scenes (the black and white mage can't equip ****!). Heh, but the Warrior CAN learn magic after he gets "upgraded" by Bahamut. In conclusion, I'm pretty pathetic, rofl.

Sorry to hear about these misfortunes, Adam. Hopefully everything works out for you. :(

ShineDEX

Smash Journeyman
George, i'm not on mws yet, so i'll have to spend some time getting it to work. I'll let you know when i get it up and running.

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
Sorry to hear that Adam, can I pray for you?

I liked the musical aspects of the FF1 rap, some of it brought back fond memories as well.

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
I'll be coming on campus this afternoon, can anyone smash for an hour or two after I take care of my business? (you don't have to be on campus to accept the offer, it was just convenient that I would be on campus anyway)

EDIT: Actually, maybe I won't be, depends... If you are available say so and we'll see.

Rin10-10

Smash Ace
Marth movement looks so pretty when you never jump ...
I want a fast-falling Marth. I don't care if it hurts his recovery, I want one.

Also, sorry Corey. Maymester's runnin' me in circles this week, or I'd play with ya.

Top Bottom