• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Super Smash Battle Opera - West Lafayette, IN, USA

kirkq

Smash Ace
Yo I'm 3 pages behind, but I just wanted to comment.

East Los Angeles Community College with a
Associate Arts degree
in Liberal Studies

I probably could have gone through two years of middle school at age 11, and I know Bun
. . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Bun could have.

WarHippy

Smash Journeyman
Okay, people have hit an all time low...
http://www.facebook.com/ext/share.php?sid=90004056876&h=vBlMd&u=WgqIm&ref=nf
Excuse me while I go kill some friends of mine for still obsessing over this stupid phase that is old.
So, i'm not sure if you're talking about the original Yu-gi-oh that's old, or the abridged series. I don't know if you've heard of/seen it or not, but several of my friends and I found Yu-gi-oh: The Abridged Series to be absolutely hilarious. All Hail Little Kuribo! So yah, I was quite sad indeed to see that someone ripped off his work to make a rather mediocre clip.

-EDIT- Lol, Goose. You did it wrong.

Jayford

Smash Lord
Vorhese: Sorry about your grandma =/. I'll keep you in my prayers.

So they left me alone to run the store I work at with only like 6 hours work experience and 1 hour of training. I had no clue what I was doing and I think I screwed up pretty bad. This job blows , I wonder how long untill I get fired? LOLOOLOLOL

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
So when's the next one? The earlier I know about it, the better chance of me going.

Also, since many frequent posters here are Purdue students, I'll ask some questions:

About how many hours daily do you spend out of class doing school work?

How much harder are honors classes than otherwise? Do you really learn more or is it just more work?

Is working part-time and keeping a 3.0+ GPA feasible as a full-time student?

Any other college stuff they don't tell you about?

Thank you for your time.

voorhese

Smash Master
good news, they where gonna let my grandma die, so took her of life support, but she woke up like wtf, im starving, and now is fully awake and wants to get out of bed, and remembers all of us now lol.

edit: oh and i live back in johnsonville again (Monticello).

lol at an open house we held a smashfest, with a whole 5 people there!!!!!!!

we did me and shadow fox vs undecided and limitz
we killed undecided, and limitz had 1 life, i had 1 and shadow had 2, he killed shadow, them me and then shadow again, basically we got destroyed

then we did crews, me and limitz vs those two, and ricky
limitz almost took out the whole crew, he took 10 stock lol

he is gonna start playing now, he can beat my fox even when i dont sd now :(

HoChiMinhTrail

Smash Master
So when's the next one? The earlier I know about it, the better chance of me going.

Also, since many frequent posters here are Purdue students, I'll ask some questions:

How much harder are honors classes than otherwise? Do you really learn more or is it just more work?

Thank you for your time.
...... College is full of johns

A lot would depend on what major you decide to go for.

I attend Michigan State (another big ten school) and am double majoring in Accounting/Criminal Justice taking 17-20 credits a semester. I work part-time and spend about 2-4 hours on hw each week day. I maintain a 3.6 fairly easily. It all depends on how much dedication you put toward your work.
****ing Cunning is a pharm major at Purdue and has a 4.0. Im sure that ***** studies 5-6 hours daily... so no johns son.
****ing Kirkq is some sort of engineer and prob has a high *** gpa as well.. so once again no johns.

Like smash, having a successful college career all depends on how much you put into it. You always have to leave some time for females tho, don't be a ****ing nub. Also, invest in learning social skills while in college. Probably one of the most important things to pick up while in school. Don't be a ****ing nerd unless you are playing smash with me. Then it is acceptable to be a nerd. Go out... try new things.... live a little.

_kSo_

Smash Master
Vorhese: Sorry about your grandma =/. I'll keep you in my prayers.

So they left me alone to run the store I work at with only like 6 hours work experience and 1 hour of training. I had no clue what I was doing and I think I screwed up pretty bad. This job blows , I wonder how long untill I get fired? LOLOOLOLOL

omfg you jay hartford

Okay, people have hit an all time low...
http://www.facebook.com/ext/share.php?sid=90004056876&h=vBlMd&u=WgqIm&ref=nf
Excuse me while I go kill some friends of mine for still obsessing over this stupid phase that is old.

HEH

i laft at this.

Thank you for your time.

The next SSBO should be in 2 weeks (Joonz 20th). However that may change because I actually have 6am shifts on both saturday and sunday of that weekend so I may have to call sleeping johns after my early morning work shifts

as far as the balance between schoolwork and a job, trail said pretty much everything. I had a 3.25 this last semester and I was working 24-30 hrs every week. The reason I was able to put in so many hours was mainly because I am a liberal arts major (go figure) so I don't really need to put a lot of time into my schoolwork to do okay lol.

Basically, you need to find the right balance for yourself so that you don't get stressed out. If you need more time for schoolwork, cut back your work hours, don't let it cut into your social time because as Trail said, college is about going out and getting as much experience as you can in every aspect of the world, not just schoolwork.

IMO, priorities go - Schoolwork, social life, work. Then again, if you desperately need the money, then obviously you will need to adjust accordingly. Like I said before, you just need to find the right balance for yourself. It is totally doable. Just don't do it wrong and double major in like pharm and EE. That would be major fail.

HoChiMinhTrail

Smash Master
Yo I'm 3 pages behind, but I just wanted to comment.

East Los Angeles Community College with a
Associate Arts degree
in Liberal Studies

I probably could have gone through two years of middle school at age 11, and I know Bun
. . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Bun could have.
I never really understood why chubbeliaths feel the need to john on other people's fields of study. Certain people in certain fields study more than others... great? Do you want a cookie now?

For many people college isn't simply a trade school, but rather a means by which to expand one's mind. Many white-collar jobs generally take any college degree which is why many people simply choose to study subjects that interest them (history/philosophy/english.) I have never had any problem with liberal arts people. Many of these students are very bright and would most likely excell in any field of study if they had the passion/drive to do so. The fact is that most well-educated individuals can excell in any field, they would simply have varying levels of success. I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed yet i managed to get 3 and 3.5s in my calc 1-3 classes; this would lead me to believe i would prob be an avg everyday engineer (were i to go into that field.) I always remember my biggest problem in taking these classes (problem being not getting a 4.0) wasn't that the material was too hard for me to grasp, but rather i just had no passion for the subject and therefore didn't approach these subjects with much dedication/zeal. I imagine many students are like this and to criticize someone for pursuing a collegiate career in something other than what the robots consider a "real career" is just ****ing frolicious.

I often wonder how many of these 19-21 year old scholastic elitists would match up in an IQ test against their hated liberal arts counterparts. All and all... ill **** any engineer smashers face... with superior mindgames... and superior intellect :).

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
...... College is full of johns

A lot would depend on what major you decide to go for.

I attend Michigan State (another big ten school) and am double majoring in Accounting/Criminal Justice taking 17-20 credits a semester. I work part-time and spend about 2-4 hours on hw each week day. I maintain a 3.6 fairly easily. It all depends on how much dedication you put toward your work.
****ing Cunning is a pharm major at Purdue and has a 4.0. Im sure that ***** studies 5-6 hours daily... so no johns son.
****ing Kirkq is some sort of engineer and prob has a high *** gpa as well.. so once again no johns.

Like smash, having a successful college career all depends on how much you put into it. You always have to leave some time for females tho, don't be a ****ing nub. Also, invest in learning social skills while in college. Probably one of the most important things to pick up while in school. Don't be a ****ing nerd unless you are playing smash with me. Then it is acceptable to be a nerd. Go out... try new things.... live a little.
I'm going into psychology. Not because it's easy or anything, but that's what interests me. 2-4 hours I can handle.... 5-6 + job is probably a no. With all of my AP and test out credits I plan to have, I was looking at a 12-14 hours a semester. (If I remember correctly... Not to mention a Psychology major only requires 33 credit hours.... ) With the extra time, I might just try to get into an honors program if I'll learn more.

The next SSBO should be in 2 weeks (Joonz 20th). However that may change because I actually have 6am shifts on both saturday and sunday of that weekend so I may have to call sleeping johns after my early morning work shifts

No johns, I should be able to make this one.

as far as the balance between schoolwork and a job, trail said pretty much everything. I had a 3.25 this last semester and I was working 24-30 hrs every week. The reason I was able to put in so many hours was mainly because I am a liberal arts major (go figure) so I don't really need to put a lot of time into my schoolwork to do okay lol.

Basically, you need to find the right balance for yourself so that you don't get stressed out. If you need more time for schoolwork, cut back your work hours, don't let it cut into your social time because as Trail said, college is about going out and getting as much experience as you can in every aspect of the world, not just schoolwork.

IMO, priorities go - Schoolwork, social life, work. Then again, if you desperately need the money, then obviously you will need to adjust accordingly. Like I said before, you just need to find the right balance for yourself. It is totally doable. Just don't do it wrong and double major in like pharm and EE. That would be major fail.

Thank you and trail for your comments, they've been helpful.

I never really understood why chubbeliaths feel the need to john on other people's fields of study. Certain people in certain fields study more than others... great? Do you want a cookie now?

For many people college isn't simply a trade school, but rather a means by which to expand one's mind. Many white-collar jobs generally take any college degree which is why many people simply choose to study subjects that interest them (history/philosophy/english.) I have never had any problem with liberal arts people. Many of these students are very bright and would most likely excell in any field of study if they had the passion/drive to do so. The fact is that most well-educated individuals can excell in any field, they would simply have varying levels of success. I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed yet i managed to get 3 and 3.5s in my calc 1-3 classes; this would lead me to believe i would prob be an avg everyday engineer (were i to go into that field.) I always remember my biggest problem in taking these classes (problem being not getting a 4.0) wasn't that the material was too hard for me to grasp, but rather i just had no passion for the subject and therefore didn't approach these subjects with much dedication/zeal. I imagine many students are like this and to criticize someone for pursuing a collegiate career in something other than what the robots consider a "real career" is just ****ing frolicious.

I often wonder how many of these 19-21 year old scholastic elitists would match up in an IQ test against their hated liberal arts counterparts. All and all... ill **** any engineer smashers face... with superior mindgames... and superior intellect :).
While I agree, I also agree that there are those who take liberal arts just because it's easier.

kirkq

Smash Ace
With a few exceptions the concept of "Honors Classes" at Purdue is pretty jokeworthy. You can request honors credit from a professor and they will generally assign you some upper level material to do on your own time. Sometimes this translates to as little as writing a paper or two. There are a few good honors classes, but I wouldn't know where to direct you.

Easily if you do your homework and study appropriately unless you go into a difficult major.

I attend Michigan State (another big ten school) and am double majoring in Accounting/Criminal Justice taking 17-20 credits a semester. I work part-time and spend about 2-4 hours on hw each week day.

The reason I was able to put in so many hours was mainly because I am a liberal arts major (go figure) so I don't really need to put a lot of time into my schoolwork to do okay lol.
It sounds like both of you are putting in a good amount of time towards work and school. I won't john over which proportion is spent where, because work experience is also important. Last semester I spent about 20 hours in class and around 25 hours out of class on schoolwork. I try to put forth enough effort to learn the material, and I like to think I work pretty efficiently.

My larger john is regarding individuals taking 12 credit hours with little to no effort required. It's just ridiculous to me that kids can skip half the classes, study for half an hour and still do well on exams. I will back this up by citing my psych class I took. I skipped half the classes, memorized all the vocabulary words, and easily aced the exams. It's just a bit ridiculous to me that some kids put in like 15 hours of effort a week for college (including work).

Many of these students are very bright and would most likely excell in any field of study if they had the passion/drive to do so.
I would hastily replace "Many" with "Some." You can learn good things in a psychology major, or you can be lazy and get by extremely easily. It's up to the student. It's just unfortunate that many of the students choose the latter, and this is where my opinions stem from.

If someone told me he got a psych degree in college, that doesn't reflect much effort. If someone told me he did research under a professor, double majored, interned, or anything of that nature, I would respect it more. Again, there is a lot of the former, and not much of the latter.

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
With a few exceptions the concept of "Honors Classes" at Purdue is pretty jokeworthy. You can request honors credit from a professor and they will generally assign you some upper level material to do on your own time. Sometimes this translates to as little as writing a paper or two. There are a few good honors classes, but I wouldn't know where to direct you.
Thank you for this.

I would hastily replace "Many" with "Some." You can learn good things in a psychology major, or you can be lazy and get by extremely easily. It's up to the student. It's just unfortunate that many of the students choose the latter, and this is where my opinions stem from.

If someone told me he got a psych degree in college that doesn't reflect much effort. If someone told me he did research under a professor, double majored, interned, or anything of that nature, I would respect it more. Again, there is a lot of the former, and not much of the latter.
:ohwell: It's upsetting that Psychology has this reputation. (And with good reason) I intend to learn. What is the point of a college education if you learn so little? Since I actually care about helping people, I want to learn as much as I can. I'm still iffy about the honors classes. If they'll help me learn more, I'd love to take them. But if it's just some more busy work I'll pass.

Which leads me to my next question:

Does busy work still exist in college?

It has been one of the most frustrating things in my high school career, knowing I am completely wasting my time so the teacher has another grade to add to the grade book. So they can look like they are teaching us something. Almost all of the courses required for graduation (aka all of the history classes and many others) in my high school are full of that stuff, and even some honors classes. I hate to go into a class and get that. I would much rather A) learn B) not do anything. Preferably A, but doing nothing is better than wasting my own time out of class...
[/rant]

Jayford

Smash Lord
In some classes you still get busy work, but its rare. In my Philosophy class we had to do 2 page reading summaries that were based on completion. So you could just write about anything and you would get credit. It was pretty lame.

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
In some classes you still get busy work, but its rare. In my Philosophy class we had to do 2 page reading summaries that were based on completion. So you could just write about anything and you would get credit. It was pretty lame.
Bah. But it's rarity is encouraging.

I think some of you guys might enjoy this, since we are on the topic of education:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG9CE55wbtY

iamthemicrowave

Smash Master
Think for yourself.
Question authority.

Throughout human history, as our species has faced the frightening, terrorizing fact that we do not know who we are, or where we are going in this ocean of chaos, it has been the authorities — the political, the religious, the educational authorities — who attempted to comfort us by giving us order, rules, regulations, informing — forming in our minds — their view of reality. To think for yourself you must question authority and learn how to put yourself in a state of vulnerable open-mindedness, chaotic, confused vulnerability to inform yourself.

Think for yourself.
Question authority.

-- Timothy Leary.

ShineDEX

Smash Journeyman
@kirk/trail topic: It's an unfortunate fact for all the liberal arts students out there that the engineers will probably always judge them by their major. The simple fact is that engineering coursework is just more demanding than liberal arts coursework in general. Case in point: At Purdue, a student is expected to spend THREE TIMES the amount of time outside class for an engineering course as for a liberal arts course if the courses count for the same number of credit hours.

Fun, illustrative quote from my ECE 201 prof:
"I'm not paying four years of tuition for my daughter to get another high school degree" (said of Purdue's sociology program).

@ Faith
I'll preface this by saying that I myself am in Mechanical Engineering, so any firsthand experience I have to offer will be from that program. Anything I say about other majors comes from what other people have told me.

With that said, I have a pretty good GPA spending 2-5 hrs of homework per day with a part-time job (though the job is only ~10 hrs/week).

In engineering, honors classes tend to be pretty similar to nonors, and many people report that the honors classes are easier than their equivalents because the best TA's tend to be assigned to honors sections. Ironically, the biggest exception to this rule as far as I know is ENGR 126 (or whatever it's called now), the first year introductory class all freshmen engineers have to take. The honors version is massively more work than the nonors version.

As concerns busywork, that's really course- and professor-dependent. In most engineering classes, the problems are so long that you can only do a few per hour, so you really need to do all the problems to understand all the material. In contrast, for all of my liberal arts classes, the homework has been almost an afterthought. I didn't really feel like I needed to do any of it as long as I was going to lectures, but I pick stuff up pretty quickly, and I could see that the homework was actually helping, so I wouldn't really call it busywork.

Any more questions, ask me. My brother is going to Purdue next year, so I'm already thinking about this sort of thing.

HoChiMinhTrail

Smash Master
I don't think i was trying to state that liberal arts students have just as a demanding course load as an engineer. I simply never understand why people feel the need to judge others based off of their education. I've taken calc 1-3 and stats 200-300 level classes for my accounting degree. Ive never been much of a math guy but by simply studying/dowing hw, i was able to do well in all these classes. This leads me to believe that i could do continue to do well were i to pursue a field involving more advanced mathematics. I am just rather amused at times when my engineer friends back at school begin to judge some of our liberal arts friends. I feel that with a little dedication and studying everyday, most humans have the capacity to be engineers and/or pursue a career in the fields of science. I mean to simply earn an engineering degree isn't exactly out of reach of 90% of the students who come from good high-schools. To be an exceptional engineer, i feel would take much more. An exceptional anything takes more natural ability/instincts/intelligence. I know quite a few engineers whom i have always took for dumb ****s in high school and to this day take them for dumb ****s. I guess the point im trying to get to is: when you do something brilliant/magically become a genius then you can develop an ego. Until then... know that you have merely learned from other people's accomplishments out of freaking text books. It takes a lot of work and dedication... but it really doesn't set you apart from the rest of humanity.

'Fro

Smash Lord
Cory, just a couple of things for you. I'm assuming you're taking PSY 120, the intro psych class when you start here. Write down the name Carrol Donnelly. When you sign up for the class, make sure to be in her lecture. As long as you're willing to be relaxed about things that might be offensive, you will have one of the best educational experiences of your life, as well as be exposed to a lot of entertainment!

As for college in general, I'll keep it simple. College is your time to break out and become whoever you want to be. Make use of it, because it's the last true phase of "fun" in our short, human lives. You've still got another year to mull things over, but don't stress over it. Look forward to it.

EDIT: @ Trail: You should have used those math skills when asked about your age and D.O.B. at Damien's, son!

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
In engineering, honors classes tend to be pretty similar to nonors, and many people report that the honors classes are easier than their equivalents because the best TA's tend to be assigned to honors sections. Ironically, the biggest exception to this rule as far as I know is ENGR 126 (or whatever it's called now), the first year introductory class all freshmen engineers have to take. The honors version is massively more work than the nonors version.
With this massive more wore, is there massively more learning?

Cory, just a couple of things for you. I'm assuming you're taking PSY 120, the intro psych class when you start here. Write down the name Carrol Donnelly. When you sign up for the class, make sure to be in her lecture. As long as you're willing to be relaxed about things that might be offensive, you will have one of the best educational experiences of your life, as well as be exposed to a lot of entertainment!
Will do.

As for college in general, I'll keep it simple. College is your time to break out and become whoever you want to be. Make use of it, because it's the last true phase of "fun" in our short, human lives. You've still got another year to mull things over, but don't stress over it. Look forward to it.
Thanks for the advice, but I'm pretty sure I'm already who I want to be. As with all people, there are things that I find I want to rid myself of, such as bad habits and occasional laziness, but I'm on a good track to fixing those as well. But thanks for the advice about not stressing and looking forward to it.

But if you think I intend to stop having fun after college, you are sorely mistaken. I will perform my duties, and likely drop video games completely... but stop having fun? Sounds rather dreary to me.

[/QUOTE]

ShineDEX

Smash Journeyman
Your original proposition was:

Engineers john on Liberal Arts students because engineering is a more demanding program. My previous post was meant to point this out.

I'm not saying that there aren't dumb engineers or smart liberal arts students. That would be as bigoted as saying there aren't sober Irishmen or old Chinese women who can drive well. My point is that engineers judge liberal arts students (whether this is justified or not) because one program requires a lot more work than the other.

So there you have it. Engineers judge Liberal Arts students and that's why. I'm not saying it's right or wrong or anything else. If you want to change it, you might as well try to change people's stereotypes about Mexicans, Jews, or any other group while you're at it.

@ Faithkeeper: In my experience, whether you learn or not is largely a question of self-motivation. If you want to learn and you're interested in learning, you will learn, regardless of what professor you have or whether you're in an honors class or even (to an extent) what level of intelligence you have. While it is true that honors courses may cover more or different material, chances are that you will be able to compensate for this with independent study if you're really interested. Of course, if you aren't really interested, the point is kind of moot anyway.

goosefactor

Smash Lord
Your original proposition was:

Engineers john on Liberal Arts students because engineering is a more demanding program. My previous post was meant to point this out.

I'm not saying that there aren't dumb engineers or smart liberal arts students. That would be as bigoted as saying there aren't sober Irishmen or old Chinese women who can drive well. My point is that engineers judge liberal arts students (whether this is justified or not) because one program requires a lot more work than the other.

So there you have it. Engineers judge Liberal Arts students and that's why. I'm not saying it's right or wrong or anything else. If you want to change it, you might as well try to change people's stereotypes about Mexicans, Jews, or any other group while you're at it.

@ Faithkeeper: In my experience, whether you learn or not is largely a question of self-motivation. If you want to learn and you're interested in learning, you will learn, regardless of what professor you have or whether you're in an honors class or even (to an extent) what level of intelligence you have. While it is true that honors courses may cover more or different material, chances are that you will be able to compensate for this with independent study if you're really interested. Of course, if you aren't really interested, the point is kind of moot anyway.
Good post. QFT

soap

Smash Hero
EDIT: @ Trail: You should have used those math skills when asked about your age and D.O.B. at Damien's, son!
first off, get *****.

Now, I don't judge people taking relatively easier majors, but i confess I was a bit jealous when my communication major roomy last year was getting high every day, partying like 5 times a week, getting straight A's. While i was pulling all nighters and getting C's in o-chem. :( (to be fair i did the procrastinate-cram combo from time to time)

HoChiMinhTrail

Smash Master
I just don't understand why people feel the need to show others up. Its as if people are expecting others to praise them for their great sacrifice in obtaining a "real" degree. I mean... its just not going to happen, meanwhile people will just continue to think you're a tool.

ShineDEX

Smash Journeyman
Showing people up doesn't really have anything to do with it (usually). Just think of it this way: most engineers are in their major because that's what interests them, not history/art/music/english/etc. Some people are in it for the money, but among my friends, the vast majority picked engineering because that's what interested them the most. Engineers get screwed from the start because what they like to do has a more time-intensive courseload than what they don't care for. Now, imagine having a bunch of liberal arts students hanging around you all the time "getting high every day, partying like 5 times a week, getting straight A's" while you're out there busting your @$$ studying for thermo/ochem/diffeq/etc. And all the while, your liberal arts friends are johnsing out about how they deserve respect too and whining about their classes whose workloads make you want to laugh. There's bound to be some bitterness. I'm not saying it's justified, but hopefully you can see where it's coming from.

'Fro

Smash Lord
Thing is, Cory, I'm relating from people's experiences post-graduation. Fun will never completely leave your life, but the amount of responsibility you bear and self-motivation you need to fulfill it increases as you go. Working, ensuring a decent living for yourself and/or others, etc....
It just keeps mounting as you go. Some people decide to stay away from getting married so they can stay away from adding familial responsibilities, too, but just for your reference, I assume that to be part of the package.

Anyways, glad you're finding what we're telling you useful.

Faithkeeper

Smash Lord
I find the chances very good that I will get married. And I understand there will be more responsibility as I grow older. I guess my observations of my parents (and other adults) lead me to believe that one is still capable of having fun daily and being a responsible adult.

(yay @ me for starting both of the education-related debates in recent history. :bee: )

iamthemicrowave

Smash Master
italian beef

When I went to DePauw(a small liberal arts college), I went out drinking like 4 nights a week, and was high 24/7, and got a 3.3 GPA.

I transfer to Purdue and find myself with a like .3 GPA...so yeah. Schools matter alot lool.

I was majoring in Computer Science at both schools.

soap

Smash Hero
soo, i popped my first ever adderall....

still don't feel like studying for this final.

maybe i should try a couple more.:)

HoChiMinhTrail

Smash Master
Showing people up doesn't really have anything to do with it (usually). Just think of it this way: most engineers are in their major because that's what interests them, not history/art/music/english/etc. Some people are in it for the money, but among my friends, the vast majority picked engineering because that's what interested them the most. Engineers get screwed from the start because what they like to do has a more time-intensive courseload than what they don't care for. Now, imagine having a bunch of liberal arts students hanging around you all the time "getting high every day, partying like 5 times a week, getting straight A's" while you're out there busting your @$$ studying for thermo/ochem/diffeq/etc. And all the while, your liberal arts friends are johnsing out about how they deserve respect too and whining about their classes whose workloads make you want to laugh. There's bound to be some bitterness. I'm not saying it's justified, but hopefully you can see where it's coming from.
I would be impressed with any liberal arts student who can party all week and still get straight B's... let alone straight A's. Perhaps this has more to do with the quality of Purdue's liberal arts programs than with liberal arts majors as a whole. Purdue is after all, an engineering school.

I am a double major and my criminal justice degree is part of the social science college. I must say that i was unpleasantly suprised by the amount of work that this liberal arts degree has laid upon me. I have taken psychology, sociology, and 300-400 level history classes as my required electives. None of these classes have i perceived as useless. My psychology and sociology classes required a lot of reading and these were merely intro level classes. History is a passion of mine and the history classes i took here were quite challenging to say the least. The higher level history classes i have taken required me to delve into primary resources in order to write lengthy historiographical research papers (a few of which i am very proud of.) In all of these classes i have met individuals who are actually quite dedicated to the material and have opened my eyes to various subjects which at one time i considered quite "useless." When one thinks back... at one time or another all the mainstream areas of science were at one point looked down upon and seen as pointless endeavors. Now that these various fields in mathematics and the sciences are mainstream, as history has a habit of repeating itself, the students of these fields now look down upon newer/unorthodox disciplines of study. Idk... the irony is humorous to one such as myself.

Btw... ill absolutely lay waste to anyone who gets in a debate with me over the usefulness of history.

iamthemicrowave

Smash Master

soo, i popped my first ever adderall....

still don't feel like studying for this final.

maybe i should try a couple more.:)
adderall helped me get a huge programming project done in 3 days(2 days on addy), and I got an A :). Don't take too many, you can really overdo it and be up for 3 days(I know people who have done this). It is nice, but I think of it as an Oh ****! drug, and have only used it twice in my life.

Smash on adderall...that's how to be good lol. m2k does it...

DrewB008

Smash Lord
i used to think history was worthless, but then i saw the movie national treasure and realized how foolish i had been

also i disagree with judging people based on majors or really any academic measurements

iamthemicrowave

Smash Master
i used to think history was worthless, but then i saw the movie national treasure and realized how foolish i had been

also i disagree with judging people based on majors or really any academic measurements
hahhahah **** drew i wanna quote you on that first statement...but for srsliez i agree with rail, history is very important

goosefactor

Smash Lord
George, learn to check your facebook. I wanted to know if you ended up getting that job or if it's still up in the air.

Heh, also, Fro, are you getting destroyed yet by the females' enforced dress code over there? Tsk, tsk, tell King Abdullah that he's doing it wrong.

Top Bottom