• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

FlintIke

Smash Journeyman
Well after seeing that Robin's Final Smash is still Chrom, I am hoping that there will be more surprises like these.
I don't 100% put my faith into something like an AT promotion, but here is hoping that in the first time of smash history there will be something like that.

Let's just wait and see in what direction the DLC will go.

SPEN18

Smash Champion
Also, where'd you hear about the Saki costume? I thought he wasn't anywhere right now.
Not sure where it came from exactly, but there's a picture of his mii costume on the Saki thread.

I'll tell you one thing, with Vergeben and Hitagi talking about Steve from Minecraft seeing how they got Kencineroar right, I am definitely not buying that fighter pack. Even the mere chance of Steve being one of those fighters is really detracting me from that offer. I'm sorry, I just don't think I'd be able to cope with him in especially if nothing Golden Sun is ever playable in those DLCs. I'll just buy them individually even if it means they're more expensive that way.

Other than that... yeah let's hope they make their DLC selections wisely. Honestly, the DLC could fix the entire game with its amendments to the roster if they're smart enough about it. Or it could be even more detrimental if they screw up somewhere because ultimately years after everything in this game is released whatever DLC they pick will also be considered just as much a part of the game as the base is now. As of now, these newcomers just aren't a grand slam to me all things considered.
Yeah, I am really not excited for DLC at all right now. Based on what we've gotten recently, it makes me feel like it's gonna be pretty bland marketing choices again, similar to last time. A few third parties (which rarely excite me, esp since there are a good number of Nintendo series without playables) and PKMN/FE characters. Maybe there'll be something at least decent with Dixie or Lloyd (these two I would actually like but they're not super high up on my list). But I agree that I don't want to buy the fighter pack unless I see what I am getting. Just like Grinch vs. Verge, it seems like an all-or-nothing. Either we get something like I described above and it makes me even less in love with the roster, or, by some miracle, they give us something like Isaac/Geno/Banjo/Skull Kid and maybe one great character nobody saw coming, like Andy or Saki. That's not my personal wishlist (except for Isaac/Andy), but something like this would make a lot of people happy and "fix" the roster. But yeah, with Isaac, Waluigi, Lyn, Ashley, Shadow, Skull Kid, and others all being Assists, if they DON'T promote any of them through DLC there will be a TON of wasted potential with this roster.

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
So, you still want Isaac to be in? We can do this. Show our outright support in one single day.

What I propose is a campaign of showing positive support for Golden Sun. On November 11th, Golden Sun will be 17 years old in the US. The perfect excuse to promote our love for Isaac! What I recommend is doing any (or all) of the following

• On the day, post to your respective Nintendo Twitter/Facebook/Social Media's country accounts (Nintendo UK, of America et). Celebrate your love for Golden Sun and add the tag #Isaac4Smash and #BringBackGoldenSun
  • On that day, buy the Golden Sun ports on the Wii U and post that to the Nintendo's social media accounts. Buy the old games too (if you can find it) and post a photo of it!
  • Gather the troops! Talk about Golden Sun all day and how it should be revived. The more who know about it, the more likely they will join our cause
  • Convince others to play Golden Sun! Remember, the only reason Golden Sun isn't active right now is they believe there is no future sales. We can prove them wrong!
  • Spread the word on this plan! If you don't, the plan will never work. We need to find as many Golden Sun fans as possible.
  • Basically, on November 11th, prove with all you can that Golden Sun should be a revived series and Isaac matters
The truth is, WE are the people responsible for Isaac's inclusion in Smash and Golden Sun's revival. If we want to do it, we need to share it as far as we can and gather as many people who love the series as possible to get as many of the fans posting about it on that one day. If we don't, we might say goodbye to Golden Sun forever. Even if we don't succeed. Even if November 11th goes off well and they still don't give him recognition, at least we can let the sun set knowing we did all we could to save him and his series.

I will be doing all I can on November 11th. Let us show that no matter the outcome for Golden Sun, its fans never left and want the series back

I believe in our Golden Boy! Do you?
This is such a great post. I followed this thread for a long time even though I haven't played Golden Sun myself yet. But every day I felt a stronger connection to your community and I really, really wanted Isaac to be in Smash. The moment he was shown as an AT, I felt so sad for the whole community. I am looking forward to playing Golden Sun for the first time and (granted I like the game,) I will recommend the series to my friends as well.
On November 11th I will buy the Golden Sun games on the Eshop and I will help you campaigning for Isaac/Golden Sun, you can count on me!

?!?!?!

Smash Ace
Also with the DLC, it turns out the 108 stages theory turns out to be true. It happened to be true at the same time as the box and card theory.
Apparently the piranha plant is getting its own stage and music as well, which means 109 stages total lol

TappyBat

Smash Ace
This is such a great post. I followed this thread for a long time even though I haven't played Golden Sun myself yet. But every day I felt a stronger connection to your community and I really, really wanted Isaac to be in Smash. The moment he was shown as an AT, I felt so sad for the whole community. I am looking forward to playing Golden Sun for the first time and (granted I like the game,) I will recommend the series to my friends as well.
On November 11th I will buy the Golden Sun games on the Eshop and I will help you campaigning for Isaac/Golden Sun, you can count on me!
yay! don't forget to show it on twitter if you have one too!

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
After having time to soak up the Direct, yeah. Piranha Plant is disappointing in terms of character. But the thing looks admittedly fun to play, which is fine.

What has my hype leveled out at the moment is the DLC. And I sincerely hope Isaac will be considered among the 5. I got a bit glum seeing him, Shadow, Spring Man and Bomberman basically get shafted. But DLC also leaves open even more possibilities. Since its now confirmed I'm willing to talk about it.

Y'all already know who I want. ... 2B
Well, im not stopping with this. I'm voting for Isaac no matter what.

Screw the other characters, GS deserves a revival.

Drakonix

Smash Cadet
I don't think the Issac dream is dead. There isn't just ONE Issac. Dark Dawn does have an older version of him if the whole "It would be confusing to have an AT and fighter have the same model". I guess Matthew could also be an alternative. I'd like to trust Sakurai's decisions and overall vision for Smash. Here is to hoping that he fulfills your wish in the future! Good luck Issac fans! :)

Frosty Pops

Smash Journeyman
I don't think the Issac dream is dead. There isn't just ONE Issac. Dark Dawn does have an older version of him if the whole "It would be confusing to have an AT and fighter have the same model". I guess Matthew could also be an alternative. I'd like to trust Sakurai's decisions and overall vision for Smash. Here is to hoping that he fulfills your wish in the future! Good luck Issac fans! :)
While not as popular as the first 2, DD did have some nice character designs.

Q-Long

Smash Lord
There are generic Yoshis and -the- Yoshi. Same for ROB and the Pokemon. Heck, same for the Piranha Plant, I'm assuming this would be the one that grew up to terrorize Kirby and Mario at the beginning of Subspace.

So Adult Isaac still could be in. But you could argue against that with PoR Ike and RD Ike being the same character.

But how do you counter the above argument?

Well, Mario with Dr's clothes can be a completely new character. Why can't Adult Isaac?

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
I wish I could draw. I have so many awesome images in my head of what I would like to see on paper, but I suck at drawing. Even if I could, I don't have the time, unfortunately.

Last edited:

Frosty Pops

Smash Journeyman
Bro Isaac is dead and Nintendo doesn't care about Golden Sun.
Must mean nobody likes Black Knight, Shadow, Bomberman, Waluigi, Zero, Crystal, Knuckles, or Shovel Knight either since they got the same treatment. (Note sarcasm in case you can't pick that up)

D

Deleted member

So Matthew and Felix too huh? Oye.

Oh well glad sone Golden Sun content got in some way.
It took them three games, but it means Golden Sun finally will have stuff in Smash Bros. besides a song and an AT. Here's hoping for some additional content, like maybe at least two more songs remixed by Motoi.

I also noted on the official thread that Assist Trophies actually will play a role this time in the Story Mode of the game, given that I noticed Kapp'n's bus was parked in front of a bus stop, meaning you could probably use his services to get from one part of the world to another quickly, and Rathalos was used to reach a treasure chest. Now, Rathalos IS a boss in the World of Light, and that is a certainty, but the fact that Rathalos and Dr. Wily are both ATs (and the decision to pick the infamous Wily Capsule 7 wasn't just to be cute) means they are bosses in the game that must be overcome, and once they are, their services can be acquired. I dunno what Wily's services will be, but for most of the ATs, I could hazard a guess...

• Dillon: Break down boulders
  • Chef Kawasaki: Provide Rations for the Fighters
  • Gray Fox: Reconnaissance
  • Rodin: Sell items
  • Shovel Knight: Dig for things
  • Skull Kid: Summon the Moon
  • Akira, Takamaru, Guile, Zero, Waluigi, Alucard: Battle in Fights
  • Yuri Kozukawa: See what Spirits are in what Puppets
  • Sable Prince: Reach small places
I may be thinking too hard, but these sound plausible.

Arsenal234

Smash Apprentice
True there is that, similar to Wii Fit Trainer and Duck Hunt, Sakurai imagined creative movesets for them. Of course then it just goes back to whether he has interest in the character Isaac himself, to want to make him playable. We've all been envisioning Isaac with Djinns/summons/earth magic/all these other various elementals, but Sakurai brings him back doing the same psynergy hands as he did in Brawl. If I never played Golden Sun myself, I'd think that's all Isaac is known for. I just want to know if the concept of something like earth magic is realizable to Sakurai to bother.
Makes me think we might be going about this wrong. Maybe we should have some of our artists send pictures of how Isaac would work in smash. A complete moveset for Isaac.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
that's a good point. sakurai probably doesn't like golden sun at all...
If that was the case he never would've gotten an Assist Trophy in Brawl to begin with. This is just dumb.

https://youtu.be/-QyQWFVRDQE

At 3:15:40 you can see Isaac in action...he mixes up his attacks a bit and can teleport . they say something about him " robin ... " but i cant understand japanese
Robin is Isaac's name in Japan.

It feels like the universe is desperate to get my hopes up so it can shatter them again.

I doubt these words had any thought put into them, they were most likely just slapped onto characters randomly.

Do we know if these words are even set? Maybe it's random each time you get them.
"Hope" is just the name for 2 star Spirits in Japan.

I think you brought up a lot of good points and what have you but this whole idea of diminishing sales being a reason for Golden Sun's absence is kinda laughable when you consider all of Nintendo's other franchises that dwindle with every other installment. Fire Emblem, for instance continued to sell less and less from FE7 going onwards through FE12. Why would the series have it's projects greenlighted when they performed even more mediocre than Golden Sun? And FE is just one of the many. It's amazing to think that Nintendo is still trying to push the Star Fox brand after Command was a failure and then a decade later, Zero. And yet the rumor mill is lending credence to the idea that there's another Star Fox game albeit a racing one coming out. Where do we draw the line here exactly?

And I don't think you're approaching all angles when it comes to Dark Dawn's commercial performance. This was coming at a time late in the DS era where Nintendo already announced the 3DS and all attention was on that platform. We see that a lot with games coming out late in a system's life cycle where they just do abysmal numbers like Metroid Returns on the 3DS. Piracy for DS games was at an all time high as well which likely lead to Dark Dawn having a sharp decrease in it's sales. Then you factor that their marketing for the game was subpar at best (as is the tale with just about all of their franchises that they don't care about) and it only reinforces the numbers the game did. And well, Dark Dawn wasn't the strongest entry to put it nicely which lead to the game getting flak critically.

I do agree that a remake is the way to go. Out of all the dormant Nintendo franchises, i'd argue Golden Sun and Advance Wars are the ones with the best chances of returning. Of course that depends on certain things happening. The Switch is an entirely new ball game compared to the Wii U/3DS generation where Nintendo only focused on their successful franchises or taking chances on new ones they thought would succeed.
The main reasoning comes from dev studios themselves. Camelot lost a lot of employees (I think it was because of the burnout after TLA and they went back to Mario Sports) and were literally afraid to put out new GS games after Dark Dawn's performance.

On the other hand, Intelligent Systems kept pushing for Fire Emblem, maybe because they really liked it, maybe because it was their best selling franchise despite diminishing returns until Awakening.

I do think both GS and Wars will return on Switch, personally.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I was thinking it over and I came up with an idea on how Isaac could get promoted to playable.

Matthew is already basically a clone of Isaac. If they create a model for Matthew and swap it in for Isaacs assist trophy then Isaac could be playable.

Things is this is just a pie in the sky thing, I doubt there's any hope of it happening..but it's a thought at least.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
I voted for Matthew DLC (although I'll still go with the majority of Isaac). I just feel like there's a very fine line when it comes to wanting Isaac promoted from his assist status given the circumstances.

Isaac was absent in 4 and aside from Gray Fox, is technically the only Brawl assist Sakurai brought back and even made him feel less as if he were returning but gave him extra attack animations and knock back physics as of he were any new assist.

Seeing how Saki got cut completely, despite him making the jump to 4 over Isaac before, and Infantry and Tanks staying a done deal in Brawl. It's of course clear that Sakurai brought Isaac back for us.

After Brawl, the fandom views assist differently, it's more like a death sentence to playability since you can count on one finger the amount of assists that have gotten upgraded to playable over the course of two games since the assist implemention. But I feel as if Sakurai views assists as more of an honorary position. Isaac was even the first one to highlight that segment (of course at the time it felt more like a stab to the heart to see him show up immediately).

I just would hate to think that Sakurai will take this persistence as the fans wanting more despite bringing Isaac back in some fashion, of course it's also be nice if this same persistence makes history of where Isaac is the first AT to be upgraded to playable in the same game. Just really hope in the meantime we don't get Reggie on our case who sees it similar to what happened to Waluigi and Sakurai laughs wondering what's with the fans of Camelot characters but yeah actually this thought is getting away from me lol.

Last edited:

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
So I heard that some of Reddit is saying that DogManStar DogManStar 's tweet to Sakurai was "cancerous".

That's an attack on what is, esstionally, a harmless wish of a character being in smash. He wasn't even being insulting.

I wish I could find the thread, because I was quite angered by this attitude towards one of our supporters.

I voted for Matthew DLC (although I'll still go with the majority of Isaac). I just feel like there's a very fine line when it comes to wanting Isaac promoted from his assist status given the circumstances.

Isaac was absent in 4 and aside from Gray Fox, is technically the only Brawl assist Sakurai brought back and even made him feel less as if he were returning but gave him extra attack animations and knock back physics as of he were any new assist.

Seeing how Saki got cut completely, despite him making the jump to 4 over Isaac before, and Infantry and Tanks staying a done deal in Brawl. It's of course clear that Sakurai brought Isaac back for us.

After Brawl, the fandom views assist differently, it's more like a death sentence to playability since you can count on one finger the amount of assists that have gotten upgraded to playable over the course of two games since the assist implemention. But I feel as if Sakurai views assists as more of an honary position. Isaac was even the first one to highlight that segment (of course at the time it felt more like a stand to the heart to see him show up immediately).

I just would hate to think that Sakurai will take this persistence as the fans wanting more despite bringing Isaac back in some fashion, of course it's also be nice if this same persistence makes history of where Isaac is the first AT to be upgraded to playable in the same game. Just really hope in the meantime we don't get Reggie on our case who sees it similar to what happened to Waluigi and Sakurai laughs wondering what's with the fans of Camelot characters but yeah actually this thought is getting away from me lol.
I'm sorry, but Matthew isn't the face of the franchise. Isaac is.

Once you start asking for Matthew, the support is not gonna have a far-reaching impact as Isaac's would.

We're pushing for isaac. Because if the face of the franchise isn't getting in, no character from GS will.

We have to keep being positive. We have to be persistent.

Last edited:

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
So I heard that some of Reddit is saying that DogManStar DogManStar 's tweet to Sakurai was "cancerous".

That's an attack on what is, esstionally, a harmless wish of a character being in smash. He wasn't even being insulting.

I wish I could find the thread, because I was quite angered by this attitude towards one of our supporters.
What did the tweet say?

Huanchi

Smash Apprentice
Saki is a Mii Costume in Smash Ultimate

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Why does everyone keep ****ting on Isaac/Isaac fans? I seriously can't stand it, this wouldn't have happened if Sakurai just listened!

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I feel like it would put us in a far weaker position to start supporting Matthew or Felix.

(not to mention I really don't have as much of a connection to Matthew and Felix seems like a strange choice since he isn't the "Marth" of Golden Sun.

Either way I'm not worried about hope or being reasonable. (though of course I want to remain respectful) I just want to support Isaac for Smash.

TappyBat

Smash Ace

"you can't message sakurai stop being cancer!" just wut?

Onassi2

Smash Cadet
I was thinking it over and I came up with an idea on how Isaac could get promoted to playable.

Matthew is already basically a clone of Isaac. If they create a model for Matthew and swap it in for Isaacs assist trophy then Isaac could be playable.

Things is this is just a pie in the sky thing, I doubt there's any hope of it happening..but it's a thought at least.
I thought about this too. It's not going to happen, but I really hope that it's possible.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
Why does everyone keep ****ting on Isaac/Isaac fans? I seriously can't stand it, this wouldn't have happened if Sakurai just listened!
Because this is the internet and people like being anonymous assholes. It makes them feel better about their sad lives.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
Saki is a Mii Costume in Smash Ultimate
Yeah but I'm going to miss his assist trophy representation. I've basically been watching my bro replay the Wii version from start to finish with him hoping that he'd make the jump to playable. And now seems like it's Saki's turn to get Isaac'd. And with Infantry and Tanks not making it back either, it makes you worry whether dormancy of a series is a bigger deal even in the case of assists and whether Isaac could get stuck in a cycle where he's cut again and we have to rally to get him back. Of course that's thinking more farther into the future.

Last edited:

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
So guys... shall we press on and hope Isaac gets in as DLC?
Yes. Press on for "a better future for GS."

Support Isaac for smash. Support GS4 for Switch. Support the GS franchise a series a whole.

Nov. 11th is where we put our passion to the test.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
If anything, I'd like to ask Vergeben if he's heard of anything about AT"s being upgraded or Isaac having another chance, but I honestly don't even know if that's a good idea in itself.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
If anything, I'd like to ask Vergeben if he's heard of anything about AT"s being upgraded or Isaac having another chance, but I honestly don't even know if that's a good idea in itself.
If you wanna talk to him; you are a more tolerant person than I xD. If you do this; make sure not to specifically bring up Isaac, cause Veggie seems to hate him for some immature reason.

TheSpaceKing12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IsaacForSSB4
3DS FC
2105-8706-4581
Vergeben comments on gamefaqs after the direct that he honestly didn't like Isaac as an AT, that he should have been playable. We all thought he was trolling but he was just trying to warn us............

When I saw that I felt so bad for what I said about him in private.....

Top Bottom