• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

SebasSancy

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6766 2698 9475
Basically, Isaac can count on most of Europe and Latin America for support, even if he can't strictly count on the USA, the UK or Japan.

Speaking of Latin American support, doesn't Latin America really love Digimon? It's something I've always heard, I was wondering if Agumon would be the "Latin American pick",
Personally, I don't know about Agumon, but I do know that Digimon is pretty popular around here. Not just the anime, but the games too.

Most people love the digimon games and I think it's because they are mostly in sony consoles. Nintendo's games and consoles are more expensives here, and Sony is more accessible and, therefore, most popular.

Last edited:

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
I would welcome a gen 7 Pokemon. I personally want Decidueye just because an Archer fighter is uncommon in Smash Bros and would be fun to play as
I think Verge said Decidueye wasn't going to be in the game, but another Gen 7 rep.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Personally, I don't know about Agumon, but I do know that Digimon is pretty popular around here. Not just the anime, but the games too.

Most people love the digimon games and I think it's because they are mostly in sony consoles. Nintendo's games and consoles are more expensives here, and Sony is more accessible and, therefore, most popular.
I think it'd be really neat if someone were to make a "Regional Rep" map after the full roster is revealed (or even one for predictions).

Naturally, Ridley would be America's pick; and so on...

StormC

Smash Hero
I would welcome a gen 7 Pokemon. I personally want Decidueye just because an Archer fighter is uncommon in Smash Bros and would be fun to play as
I'd want Decidueye, he's my favorite SM starter and Grass starter in general, but I've come around to Incineroar. Either would be great.

bassem6

Smash Lord
How would you guys feel if Isaac was in the game but he was considered the equivalent of smash 4 Bayonetta or Brawl Meta-knight? (IE overpowered with people hating on him as a character and trying to ban him from tournies)

Conversely, how would you feel if he was the worst character in the game (but lets assume ultimate will be the best balanced smash to-date so the discrepancy between best and worst character isn't impossible but is still fairly difficult) ? Which of the two scenarios would you prefer?

Tetiro

Smash Ace
I think Verge said Decidueye wasn't going to be in the game, but another Gen 7 rep.
I don't tend to believe leakers until proven otherwise as I've had my fill of fake-leaks to last me a lifetime.

Heck I didn't even believe Shulk until I saw the leaked images myself. Even then I was skeptical.

Edit: Also where's the fun in speculation if you listen to the leakers? ;)

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I'd want Decidueye, he's my favorite SM starter and Grass starter in general, but I've come around to Incineroar. Either would be great.
I mean if we're talking favourite gen 7 Pokemon......I want Drampa....but since that isn't happening...

Ideally I'd like to see Buzzwole or Tapu Koko playable but I'm kind of resigned to it being Incineroar at this point.

Really I'm just looking forward to getting a 7th gen Pokemon rep so I can see if they bring a new stage along with them.

Last edited:

pholtos

Smash Journeyman
How would you guys feel if Isaac was in the game but he was considered the equivalent of smash 4 Bayonetta or Brawl Meta-knight? (IE overpowered with people hating on him as a character and trying to ban him from tournies)

Conversely, how would you feel if he was the worst character in the game (but lets assume ultimate will be the best balanced smash to-date so the discrepancy between best and worst character isn't impossible but is still fairly difficult) ? Which of the two scenarios would you prefer?
If he was overpowered something tells me there'd be a balance patch in the future to tone him down, but I'd still play him. I'm not super competitive or whatnot so it wouldn't matter too much.

As I played mostly Old Manondorf in Brawl. So yeah.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend

I think the response to both questions would be this:
Ace Attorney fans will get what I mean by this.

Last edited:

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion

1. I don't know. Do we really think sakurai would piss off the competitive community again?

2. I wouldn't care.

SebasSancy

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6766 2698 9475

Of the two scenarios, I think the first is great for a newcomer. People will talk more a about Isaac and maybe that could leads us to a new golden sun game. Obviusly if he ends up being in the bottom people will talk in a bad way.

Bayo is OP in smash, People talks a lot about her but I don't think her popularity was hurt. Lots of us are waiting for Bayonetta 3.

Last edited:

jweb23

Smash Journeyman

With the exception of Smash 4 Bayo, the gap between worst and best characters has shrunk considerably. The only reason patches for Smash 4 stopped is because we now know Sakurai and his team began work on Ultimate so I doubt that will be a major issue.

Anyways assuming any of those things you asked do happen...I'm maining Isaac regardless! Honestly if he turned out to be the best, I doubt he would be as hated as Bayo since Isaac has been fan requested for so long while Bayo is rather new compared to Isaac and was never considered a likely character in Smash before her inclusion. If King K Rool somehow turned out to be the best, I doubt people would hate him because he's a beloved character. BUT, who knows, the competitive scene can be quite toxic sometimes.

If Isaac was the worst...well I guess I'm maining the worst character in the game lol!

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
This ballot news is great news, this is the biggest shot Isaac has had since Brawl. In the possible unfortunate situation that we don't make it in base game we were amongst the top contenders in the ballot. We just need to keep fighting the good fight until our boy is a playable character

blueneuronDOTnet

Smash Journeyman
Isaac is one of my most wanted characters alongside Lloyd Irving, Geno, and Skull Kid. Consider me a supporter.

Pwnapplez

Smash Ace
Do you think Isaac's chances have increased after Sakurai's statement?
I feel like it both increased and decreased his chances.
It’s weird but going by the Smash Ballot Isaac did amazing in NA/EU. My fear is that, Sakurai just picked K Rule and called it a day for ballot choices.

I don’t know maybe Gamefaqs and 4chan negativity has changed my mindset.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
The ballot is being used as a reference for potential Smash characters. While it's hard to paint a perfect picture of the ballot results, to the best of our knowledge it seems like Isaac did fairly well.

So I would say his chances are higher now.

On an unrelated note, I'm of the mindset that if Isaac gets in, there's a very good chance we'll get a Felix echo of him. Thoughts on that?

KMDP

Smash Legend
Well... Isaac's chances are the same as they've always been, if you want to get super literal about it.

Do I think Isaac is more likely after Sakurai's statement? Yeah, a little.
It’s weird but going by the Smash Ballot Isaac did amazing in NA/EU. My fear is that, Sakurai just picked K Rule and called it a day for ballot choices.

Sakurai said he used the ballot when planning Smash Ultimate, this means that picking K. Rool from it and nobody else is pretty much impossible.

Last edited:

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Well... Isaac's chances are the same as they've always been, if you want to get super literal about it.

Do I think Isaac is more likely after Sakurai's statement? Yeah, a little.
The ballot is being used as a reference for potential Smash characters. While it's hard to paint a perfect picture of the ballot results, to the best of our knowledge it seems like Isaac did fairly well.

So I would say his chances are higher now.

On an unrelated note, I'm of the mindset that if Isaac gets in, there's a very good chance we'll get a Felix echo of him. Thoughts on that?

Interesting...Different responses.

To me, i think that while his chances have increased, there's nothing that can be done against sakurai himself. He makes the decisions with smash.

I have a bit of a theory on how this will turn out, but i'll save it for later.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It did confirm what some already thought, so it should raise his chances at least a little bit. It did for me .. though I had somewhat low expectations for him. (and it's like 30% now, for me)

SebasSancy

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6766 2698 9475
Honestly? 50/50. After today Sakurai's column, I'm pretty sure he will be in the game, but I'm not so sure if he's gonna be playable or AT. Well, since Brawl I feel now is all or nothing with Isaac, I hope he makes the jump.

User Name String

Smash Apprentice
It depends.
While Issac was a contender in the Ballot his support in Japan is nowhere as great as in Europe and N America.

He could be passed up for other entries that had notable support in the west aswell.
However, he still could have the advantage of a new first party series in smash and now retro.

I would bet on him solely for the advantage of a Nintendo protagonist, but...

QcSlayer

Smash Journeyman
And yet Sakurai teased him and he was high in the ballot + he belongs to Nintendo, he is a character on which developpment could start very early.

Edit: + what we see in the fan ballots should be accurate, casuals won't go voting more then once, and all the troll pick like Goku and Shreik don't count.

Last edited:

SebasSancy

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6766 2698 9475
Do you think Alex as an echo of Isaac would work? Both are adepts sooo I would rather get Felix and Mathew as skin, and Alex as an echo, he's sooo cool. (though, I won't mind see him as a boss either)

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
Do you think Alex as an echo of Isaac would work? Both are adepts sooo I would rather get Felix and Mathew as skin, and Alex as an echo, he's sooo cool. (though, I won't mind see him as a boss either)
Alex doesn't do a whole lot as an enemy, he's more enigmatic than anything. So I don't see him being a boss or an echo. Felix makes the most sense, due to his Venus affiliation, and also being the protagonist of arguably the best game in the series

Last edited:

SebasSancy

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6766 2698 9475
Alex doesn't do a whole lot as an enemy, he's more enigmatic than anything. So I don't see him being a boss or an echo. Felix makes the most sense, due to his Venus affiliation, and also being the protagonist of arguably the best game in the series
Yep, I agree. I just love Alex, I think he is a really good enemy. I know we´ve got Saturos and Menardi which are far more popular. But I think Alex is a pretty solid antagonist and got so much potencial in Dark Dawn. I was dreaming over the Isaac inclusion and the potencial echoess hahaha but you're right, if someone deserves to be an echo, is Felix

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
This news about the ballot is extremely encouraging but I do think we might still get a gen 7 Pokemon mixed in. Pokemon is just freaking huge, it makes more money than Star Wars as an IP. It's in TPC's best interest to aggressively persuade Sakurai to add one in.
Not to mention adding a Pokemon is one of the easiest ways to include a very unique newcomer.
————————————————
The thing that I like about the idea of having Isaac as a newcomer is that he would seem unique in the way that he is one of those characters that wouldn’t generally be added if it weren’t for the fan base.

Like think about it, Ridley and King K. Rool are iconic villains of their franchise (with King K. Rool scoring high on the ballot by his fans). Inkling was the very popular and new big IP. Simon and Richter’s games are classics and we’re big titles in their prime and are still going with a successful anime.

Isaac on the other hand, is debuting a new franchise that originated from the GBA which is primarily a handheld franchise, which Smash doesn’t have aside from Pokemon, which could be a series first. Not to mention, he’s from a dormant franchise that’s a JRPG. That feeling about his origin and his design is what makes him stand out among other the other newcomers and characters, he’s already unique in that sense. Having Isaac included along with representing Golden Sun, which was considered an impossibility is going to be a milestone for Smash, and can open up so many characters from other franchises that are in the same position as Golden Sun.

That’s one of the main reason why I strongly supported Isaac, there’s so many things about Isaac that can make him stand out and open so many doors, that it would be mind blowing when he ends up becoming a reality, and the fact that the fans helped push that is what makes it even better.

Last edited:

DogManStar

Smash Ace
It depends.
While Issac was a contender in the Ballot his support in Japan is nowhere as great as in Europe and N America.

He could be passed up for other entries that had notable support in the west aswell.
However, he still could have the advantage of a new first party series in smash and now retro.

I would bet on him solely for the advantage of a Nintendo protagonist, but...
Isaac's main competition at this point would come from characters that had more Japanese support than he did, like Banjo and Geno. His inability to beat those characters in Japanese popular opinion during the ballot might keep him out of Smash. I can't see why Sakurai wouldn't want to include him though. Sakurai's said he loves reviving series, and I think Golden Sun would be the perfect target. Isaac's support in Japan isn't even that small either. I think it would be weird if he wasn't playable. This just feels like such a good opportunity.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
My fear is that, Sakurai just picked K Rule and called it a day for ballot choices.
Sakurai is constantly singling out popularity. He even made a comment at E3 "we believe this is the fans want" when bringing up how he brought every character back.

Why does he believe that?

Because veterans universally were ranked high on ballot. All the polls show this, especially PushDustin's Japan poll. Inklings were rated highly as well (of course they were locks anyway).

There's no chance in hell there's only "one ballot choice". Almost everyone was likely influenced by the ballot in some way, included veterans, the Echo Fighters we got, and Ridley (though the ballot probably wasn't the determining factor for Ridley).

Sakurai himself in this interview said they fell back on the ballot as a basis. So even he said it.

Blue7113

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW650454463802
But I live on a tiny island between England and France, I'm never going to be the font of knowledge when it comes to "what England wants". :laugh:
The Channel Islands? That’s so cool! I just live in rural Ohio not much to see here

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
So, when talking about popularity, I think it's prudent as ever to bring up the aggregate exit polls we have.

And once more I'd like to note that literally everyone confirmed is on those exit polls, minus Richter and Dark Samus.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Basically, Isaac can count on most of Europe and Latin America for support, even if he can't strictly count on the USA, the UK or Japan.

Speaking of Latin American support, doesn't Latin America really love Digimon? It's something I've always heard, I was wondering if Agumon would be the "Latin American pick",
I can answer this since I live in south america, and yes… Digimon is SUPER popular, mainly because of its translated openings in spanish, they are super nostalgic and iconic around here. But pokemon doesn't stay behind of course, both of them are super beloved around here.

Last edited:

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
So, when talking about popularity, I think it's prudent as ever to bring up the aggregate exit polls we have.

And once more I'd like to note that literally everyone confirmed is on those exit polls, minus Richter and Dark Samus.

Do we know if Richer and Dark Samus were under the top 70? Cause that would mean that echo fighters might have a lower standard of votes to be a fighter in smash.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Do we know if Richer and Dark Samus were under the top 70? Cause that would mean that echo fighters might have a lower standard of votes to be a fighter in smash?
I'm sure they already do in general. Most of the Echo Fighters around are lower ranked than the full-fledged newcomers. As Echo Fighters are easier to make they can just throw in a character who they know has been highly requested in the past as one. Dark Samus probably ranked lower because more people wanted Ridley and Dark Samus was already an AT anyway.

tveye

Smash Journeyman

Obviously K Rool wasn’t the only one. Ridley has been highly requested since he was seen in Melee’s opening. Inklings were also really popular and so was Simon after Mega Man was shown. Finally, in the very same article, Sakurai mentions Dark Samus and Chrom being really popular too.

I guarantee all remaining unique fighters were at the top of the ballot.

Last edited:

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Top Bottom