• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
In case some of you don't know Billybo10k, one of the most vocal Isaac/Golden Sun supporters on YouTube has quit making videos. Let's all shower him with support and appreciation for his contributions

This is more sad than an anime death. :(

Gioka

Smash Journeyman
So we finally have a date for the direct. What do you expect to see tomorrow? I'd love if they did a teaser for Golden Sun kinda like the Metroid one, however I am trying to keep every expectation in check. Regarding Smash, if we get an SNK rep as it is rumored/leaked to be, I would be very happy, as a Latin SNK games are super important to me and my own story as a gamer so, there is that

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
So we finally have a date for the direct. What do you expect to see tomorrow? I'd love if they did a teaser for Golden Sun kinda like the Metroid one, however I am trying to keep every expectation in check. Regarding Smash, if we get an SNK rep as it is rumored/leaked to be, I would be very happy, as a Latin SNK games are super important to me and my own story as a gamer so, there is that
I don’t expect it, but I’m still hopeful that something Golden Sun will be announced tomorrow. It would be great if it got the Rune Factory treatment where it gets a remake and then announce a 4th game in development.
For Smash, I am more than convinced the 4th Fighter is Terry Bogard. I never played any of the games SNK made, but living in Mexico introduced me to them (Fatal Fury, KoF, Metal Slug, etc.). Especially Terry and I have seen his OVAs too so I actually know who he is. But of course, we could be completely surprised. So, tomorrow will tell.

TheSpaceKing12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IsaacForSSB4
3DS FC
2105-8706-4581
If the Terry rumours turn out true, which they most likely are, I feel confident for whatever reason that the next batch of DLC will be personalized for fans. I'm operating under the assumption that a season 2 is gonna happen. Joker, Hero, and Terry give off the feeling of picks Sakurai himself wanted. So I feel that next wave would be primarily composed of fan requests.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Personally I have next to no experience with SNK games, so the prospect of Terry does nothing for me....though I guess it's easier to take when we just got Banjo & Kazooie.

If the Terry rumours turn out true, which they most likely are, I feel confident for whatever reason that the next batch of DLC will be personalized for fans. I'm operating under the assumption that a season 2 is gonna happen. Joker, Hero, and Terry give off the feeling of picks Sakurai himself wanted. So I feel that next wave would be primarily composed of fan requests.
It kinda feels like a stretch to say that. We don't even know if there will be another wave after this one. Even if we do get more waves of dlc we don't have any certainty that his focus will change. For all we know the second and third waves of dlc could also be unexpected third party characters. (I guess it's my turn to be a debbie downer, but I also don't want to get carried away with myself)

Also I don't think Hero really counts because even though Sakurai is a big fan, Dragon Quest is also a huge franchise. It makes sense for it to make it's debut in Smash regardless of what Sakurai thinks of it. (arguably Joker too because Persona has a devoted cult following)

Honestly Terry Bogard suddenly becoming the hot favourite to be the next character makes me unwilling to guess how character selection is going to go down in future. He just seemed to come out of nowhere.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Not trying to be a negative Nelly here, but if Assist Trophies are going to be upgraded as fighters later, Shovel Knight is the most deserving.
He is THE face of the indie scene. You could say Steve, but he's Microsoft now.
Waluigi is the most popular among the Assist Trophy characters... But honestly out of all of them, Bomberman is the most deserving of a slot as he was literally Hudson Soft's matscot.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
For all we know the second and third waves of dlc could also be unexpected third party characters.
It could, if Nintendo wants to pay way too much money.

Also, keep in mind that Smash is inspired by King of Fighters, and the game has a bunch of fans in Latin America and China.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Waluigi is the most popular among the Assist Trophy characters... But honestly out of all of them, Bomberman is the most deserving of a slot as he was literally Hudson Soft's matscot.
It's strange to see Bomberman sidelined when a lot of the DLC isn't that much more notable than he is.

Plus unlike a few of them, he actually had a fair amount of requests prior to his deconfirmation.

Sakurai works in mysterious ways.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It's strange to see Bomberman sidelined when a lot of the DLC isn't that much more notable than he is.

Plus unlike a few of them, he actually had a fair amount of requests prior to his deconfirmation.

Sakurai works in mysterious ways.
That he does.

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
Honestly, I have to disagree here. While Bomberman is in the upper portion of Assists, I feel like either Waluigi or (biased) Isaac would be number one. Waluigi is the mascot of Assists, while Isaac represents an underlined era of Nintendo: the GBA era. That said, we could argue for days over who's the most "deserving" but the truth is Sakurai doesn't care, he picks who he picks and we have to deal with it.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Honestly, I have to disagree here. While Bomberman is in the upper portion of Assists, I feel like either Waluigi or (biased) Isaac would be number one. Waluigi is the mascot of Assists, while Isaac represents an underlined era of Nintendo: the GBA era. That said, we could argue for days over who's the most "deserving" but the truth is Sakurai doesn't care, he picks who he picks and we have to deal with it.
Your right in that regard in terms of Waluigi and Isaac being the most popular, but neither of them were the matscot of freaking Hudson Soft who was a pretty well known name in the gaming industry in the 90s and 00s.

Last edited:

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
It kinda feels like a stretch to say that. We don't even know if there will be another wave after this one. Even if we do get more waves of dlc we don't have any certainty that his focus will change. For all we know the second and third waves of dlc could also be unexpected third party characters. (I guess it's my turn to be a debbie downer, but I also don't want to get carried away with myself)
I'm not understanding why so many here have so much faith in not only a second wave of DLC but also that it will include Assist Trophy characters being upgraded. So many stretches there. Not the first time I've seen stretches made in the Isaac for Smash community, and as we all know, those stretches have never turned out well for us.

loz18

Smash Cadet
I don’t think Isaac will become playable.

Smash Ultimate is the stepping stone into other game series and Nintendo is using it to market to their audience.

Which is very interesting considering Banjo-Kazooie made it in. Either it was an extreme fan service or some type of game is in the works.

Last edited:

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Add me to support list. I liked the first two Golden Sun games and I really like Isaac, I was hoping he would make it to the base roster with a bit of luck.

I think it's complicated but if there's a second fighter pass I believe he has good chances for joining the roster.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
I'm not understanding why so many here have so much faith in not only a second wave of DLC but also that it will include Assist Trophy characters being upgraded. So many stretches there. Not the first time I've seen stretches made in the Isaac for Smash community, and as we all know, those stretches have never turned out well for us.
Because there's a lot in favor of a second pass or at least more DLC, and people want to believe that fan favorites will be among that second DLC and break some of those fan rules while it's at it.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
Add me to support list. I liked the first two Golden Sun games and I really like Isaac, I was hoping he would make it to the base roster with a bit of luck.

I think it's complicated but if there's a second fighter pass I believe he has good chances for joining the roster.
Welcome, fellow Adept! I don’t know if True Blue Warrior True Blue Warrior still lurks here, but TBW keeps the support list updated. Go ask TBW to be added.

I personally still believe Isaac still has a chance to be added to the roster. Whether by DLC or next game. It’s more a matter of when than if at this point and probably how much demand there is for Isaac (which is a lot fortunately). We just got to keep pushing forward for him and not go in hiding like we had done before.

Gioka

Smash Journeyman
I want to believe that Nintendo will not cut Smash's support so soon if they plan the Switch to have an extended life span (kinda like Wii) and considering how it is selling, however it is still too early to assume we are getting another pass or even more DLC at all. Until we have some sort of hint or confirmation of that happening, then we will know if there is a chance for Isaac and in general fan requested characters making it in, that said, of course I think if they take a second fighter pass or more DLC route they will have to upgrade either spirits or Assist Trophies if they decide to return the focus back to Nintendo's IPs (which I do hope)

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Because there's a lot in favor of a second pass or at least more DLC, and people want to believe that fan favorites will be among that second DLC and break some of those fan rules while it's at it.
What exactly is in favor of a second pass? Also, what precedent do we have for this? A lot of people were thinking it was likely we'd get a round or so of DLC for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe on the Switch, but two and a half years later that hasn't happened. I know, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is not a perfect comparison.

Sakurai and his team have been relentlessly working on Super Smash Bros for years on end now (was there even a break between the completion of SSB4 DLC and the beginning of SSBU development? I forget). I suspect they will earn a much-needed break by the end of this wave of DLC.

EDIT: Well, this post didn't age well. Congratulations to those who held on to optimism.

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
What exactly is in favor of a second pass? Also, what precedent do we have for this? A lot of people were thinking it was likely we'd get a round or so of DLC for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe on the Switch, but two and a half years later that hasn't happened. I know, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is not a perfect comparison.

Sakurai and his team have been relentlessly working on Super Smash Bros for years on end now (was there even a break between the completion of SSB4 DLC and the beginning of SSBU development? I forget). I suspect they will earn a much-needed break by the end of this wave of DLC.

EDIT: Well, this post didn't age well. Congratulations to those who held on to optimism.
Well now that the direct has happened I don't need to explain but I'll share why this was obvious to me anyway. Basically, Mario Kart was a bad comparison because it was just a quick flip not meant to be supported but one look at Breath of the Wild shows how much more Nintendo is focusing on DLC. In fact, 2 is happening due to the DLC ballooning to a size befitting of a new game. I have a hunch Odyssey will as well. Lucky for us, more characters doesn't really equate to a new game so instead, they will go a long support method. That combined with them already having the game prepped for more DLC despite a rigid plan for a specific amount of fighters and execs choosing to more DLC obviously pointed to this outcome.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Things aren't as grim anymore eh?
Still grim for Isaac unless the first post-Fighter's Pass character revealed is an Assist Trophy-upgrade.

I know "the rules" can be broken and all, but that doesn't mean that a particular rule will be broken. And honestly, the post-Fighter's Pass characters could all just be a collection of mostly random third party characters like the Fighter's Pass.

Not enough to go on to be optimistic at this point.

Gurein

Smash Apprentice
SAKURAI WANTS TO SATISFY MORE FANS
THIS IS NOT A DRILL FELLOW ADEPTS, GET THE WHOLE GANG BACK

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Still grim for Isaac unless the first post-Fighter's Pass character revealed is an Assist Trophy-upgrade.

I know "the rules" can be broken and all, but that doesn't mean that a particular rule will be broken. And honestly, the post-Fighter's Pass characters could all just be a collection of mostly random third party characters like the Fighter's Pass.

True but for what it's worth I'm slightly more optimistic than I was yesterday.

I'll consider it a small victory at the very least.

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
This is our next big shot, let's let Sakurai know that this is what we want. I'm getting the #isaacforsmash campaign back into high gear fellas!

Pwnapplez

Smash Ace
I want to give all of you Isaac fans a piece of advice.
If you really want to see Isaac do not just push for him in Smash. As much as we want to see him in our favorite Nintendo fighting game we also need to see him be remade for an HD game.

You want him?
Get Isaac fans back in here, talk on social media and push for him in smash and for a new game.

NoA is watching, NoA sees fan demands. Trust me and believe me. I am on your side. If we don't get him as DLC we can at least get a remake or new game. Push for BOTH!

Organization XIII

Smash Champion

There's only ever been one round of DLC before and last time no ATs were vets so we already have a much higher chance to get our character. There has never been a rule against this. AT promotions have already happened before and there's nothing saying they can't happen now. If you got time to be pessimistic go show Sakurai and Nintendo we want Isaac, we want AT promotions, and we want this to keep happening. We've already lost so much campaign time by people giving up with the pass and seeing Isaac as an AT. We need to make up ground ASAP.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
It's worth keeping in mind that any dlc character we get after this wave was probably decided (or is in the process of being decided) after the games launch. So if the outcry for characters like Isaac and Waluigi after they became assist trophies meant anything at all this is where it would be most likely to come to fruition.

Last edited:

clearandsweet

Smash Journeyman
  • No Mario Golf
  • Sans from Undertale costume and music from Undertale added due to popular fan request
  • Additional DLC for "more opportunities to delight the fans... and bring additional worlds together... want to keep improving on this record as long as possible"
  • No wording like "unable to keep the team together for long"
  • Smiles and says "VERY pleased with sales"
  • No Mario Golf

Ladies, that's about as rosy as the outlook can possibly get.

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
Suddenly I feel a sense of renewal. Man seeing you guys here, it's just like old times again prerelease.

Also, it means Verge was right. Again.

Gioka

Smash Journeyman

He literally said one of the things that makes him happy about this outcome is he can please more fans. The AT/Spirits rule is fan made, he has never actually come out and said it is impossible, that being said and as I pointed above, if they wish to put Nintendo franchises they will need to pick from that pool since most of their IPs are already repped as spirits or assist

Top Bottom