• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

ZelDan

Smash Master
You know, even if Isaac didn't have much dialogue due to being mute in the first game, not appearing until more than halfway through The Lost Age, and being shoved aside past the intro of DD, Isaac still managed to be cool in my books thanks to that one line of his after the final battle of GS2. You know, when he's like "I knew what I was doing the moment I drew my blade." Considering the context behind that moment, that was a pretty huge and ballsy thing of Isaac.

Gurein

Smash Apprentice
Just noticed that I made the wise one's left psyenergy hand have 6 fingers, how the hell did I make this mistake??

Anyways, has there been a newcomer with a stage not featured on his CGI trailer? I'm thinking if Isaac comes with a stage we might instantly recognize what's going on like with Shulk.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm going to guess that one of your arguments is "If Sora, then Mickey; if Mickey, then Shrek and Goku".
That was my main one, the so-called "Trojan Horse argument". I also don't care much for the Kingdom Hearts games because I've also mentioned how I don't like Tetsuya Nomura as a game developer, which is another silly argument against the character, but then again; it was Kingdom Hearts itself that made Nomura such a key figure for the Final Fantasy teams in SquareEnix, which gave us the long and convoluted story of how Versus-XIII went through 12 years of developmental hell, countless idea changes, and elimination of interesting themes independent of Final Fantasy that would have been an interesting "What If/Elseworld" game, and while XV was a very good game, it took them canning Nomura from the project and having to scrap together whatever assets they had left over to make something resembling a Final Fantasy game because of how many mistakes they made in over a decade.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Just noticed that I made the wise one's left psyenergy hand have 6 fingers, how the hell did I make this mistake??

Anyways, has there been a newcomer with a stage not featured on his CGI trailer? I'm thinking if Isaac comes with a stage we might instantly recognize what's going on like with Shulk.
Mega Man and Greninja's CGI were featuring that cliffside area rather than the stages associated with them. The former definitely was to avoid spoiling the big hype reveal but I don't think Isaac would follow suit. I think we'll either see Venus Lighthouse right away like with Shulk or we'll see its profile as the CGI plays out like with Simon/Richter.

Q-Long

Smash Lord
What composer would you like to see try their hand at a Golden Sun remix?

For me, it would be nice to hear Hidenori Shoji. He did work on the Yakuza and Super Monkey Ball series as well as F-Zero GX! So he's a pretty "SEGA" composer. It'll be a nice way connecting Golden Sun to its indirect SEGA roots (Shining Force) while giving it the rhythmic tech rock remix in the style Hidenori Shoji is known for. It would actually be cool composers famous for their SEGA works each doing a remix of a lighthouse theme for this reason lol.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
That was my main one, the so-called "Trojan Horse argument". I also don't care much for the Kingdom Hearts games because I've also mentioned how I don't like Tetsuya Nomura as a game developer, which is another silly argument against the character, but then again; it was Kingdom Hearts itself that made Nomura such a key figure for the Final Fantasy teams in SquareEnix, which gave us the long and convoluted story of how Versus-XIII went through 12 years of developmental hell, countless idea changes, and elimination of interesting themes independent of Final Fantasy that would have been an interesting "What If/Elseworld" game, and while XV was a very good game, it took them canning Nomura from the project and having to scrap together whatever assets they had left over to make something resembling a Final Fantasy game because of how many mistakes they made in over a decade.
Yeah, I've heard not-so-great things about Nomura. More so about how much of a drama-queen he is behind the scenes. The rumors ive heard about nomura reminds me a lot of what I've heard about yuji naka.

MeatOfJustice

Smash Journeyman

Inklings were on a white space on the teaser, Ridley was on a bridge (from Subspace?), K. Rool was on the jungle at DK's house (the other side of Jungle Japes?) and Isabelle was insided the Town Hall.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

We haven't seen anyone on a new stage to date. Isaac could be the exception, but tbh I think he's more likely to show up in a Colosseum style of trailer (Colosso) no matter what his stage is, but it probably won't be easily recognized as Colosso. Still, if I see a Colosseum I'm totally calling its Isaac's trailer.

blueneuronDOTnet

Smash Journeyman
Just saw the results of the /r/smashbros poll, and suffice to say that I'm overjoyed given how Isaac and Lloyd performed. They both had to pull off some insane wins, and I'm glad we could count on each other. Here's to hoping we'll get to fight side by side in the game as well!

Last edited:

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
We haven't seen anyone on a new stage to date. Isaac could be the exception, but tbh I think he's more likely to show up in a Colosseum style of trailer (Colosso) no matter what his stage is, but it probably won't be easily recognized as Colosso. Still, if I see a Colosseum I'm totally calling its Isaac's trailer.
Well, there was Simon/Richter being revealed with Dracula's Castle, although even if you didn't recognize the area it was very easy to guess thanks to the song title leak, never mind Vergeben. That one was a real shame because I would have been ecstatic as a Castlevania fan, but since I already knew to expect it going in the surprise was minimal.

Quick comment on the Reddit poll: while the result isn't surprising, it's fascinating to see Isaac got 10k more votes over the course of the tournament. While that number is slightly skewed by his loser bracket run since he had to go through two more rounds than Banjo, he still got the most votes of any character by far, which speaks volume to the dedication of his fans over the course of the tournament. Well done y'all!

Last edited:

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
Well, there was Simon/Richter being revealed with Dracula's Castle, although even if you didn't recognize the area it was very easy to guess thanks to the song title leak, never mind Vergeben. That one was a real shame because I would have been ecstatic as a Castlevania fan, but since I already knew to expect it going in the surprise was minimal.
Yeah, that leak was really unfortunate, but at least it was a Nintendo mistake and not some idiot trying to get his 15 minutes of fame like Roy and Ryu. Man, the hype we missed out on because Ryu was leaked kills me every so often.

FantastiqueFran

Smash Cadet
NNID
Haruki-KunST
I was heartbroken that Golden Boi didn't win, but all the same, the Banjo Squad came in full force and I congratulate them. The bear/bird duo bested us, but it was a wonderful tournament all the same. Also, the tournament brought to light a lot of things:

- Isaac truly is the number one first-party pick. Out of Nintendo's massive catalogue, an overwhelming majority would pick him. He really is a fan favorite among Nintendo's list of characters, especially in Europe. Thank you, my European supporters!

- Looks like Geno really is a niche character in the US. The road to get him in Smash might be a bit tougher than expected.

- The swordfighter hate boner is real, unfortunately, but that didn't stop Isaac from securing second place. The persistence from the Golden Sun fanbase and the support from others was unreal.

- Hot damn, Banjo got botted to hell; meanwhile, Isaac's votes and Lloyd's votes were barely botted. That's some true integrity right there.

- The Sora Supporters were quite upset once Isaac won. I'm not surprise, considering that the Kingdom Hearts fandom has its fair share of toxicity (and trust me as a fellow KH fan, I've been there). I guess they were thinking it was an easy win, but once Isaac blew them out of the water, they couldn't take the loss, so they had to get revenge. Meanwhile, Lloyd supporters and Phoenix Wright supporters took their loss like men. They are perhaps the kindest fans I've ever had the pleasure of knowing and I salute them.

- The Lloyd fans and Isaac fans are best bros and that just warms my heart seeing this kind of kinship. I'm actually surprised that Lloyd finished fourth, even more so ahead of Sora who finished in fifth. Looks like fan demand is on the rise for Lloyd as well. Because of that, I wholeheartedly support Lloyd's possible inclusion in Smash. After all, Namco owns the Tales series and since they're co-working on Smash Ultimate, I'd gladly welcome Lloyd Irving as the second rep for Namco alongside Pac-Man.

Overall, it was intense but I'm glad Isaac came in second. Not bad for a "niche anime swordsman."

Last edited:

jweb23

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, that leak was really unfortunate, but at least it was a Nintendo mistake and not some idiot trying to get his 15 minutes of fame like Roy and Ryu. Man, the hype we missed out on because Ryu was leaked kills me every so often.
The Ryu reveal would have been crazy levels of hype if it never got leaked. I was saddened by that too. The one time I wished I never paid attention to Smash news.

Isaac for Smash Pls

Smash Journeyman
I think once the base roster is revealed and the base game is out I can stop obsessing over Smash news, so it'll be pretty easy for me to avoid future DLC leaks. At this point though I just want to KNOWWWW

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

All these composers have done amazing work. Can't wait to see what other gnarly tracks we get.

Hopefully something for Golden Sun if and when Isaac gets in.

Ledfarmer

Smash Rookie
Just saw the results of the /r/smashbros poll, and suffice to say that I'm overjoyed given how Isaac and Lloyd performed. They both had to pull off some insane wins, and I'm glad we could count on each other. Here's to hoping we'll get to fight side by side in the game as well!
I’m sure this is true for a lot of people, but Golden Sun and Tales of Symphonia introduced me to JRPGs when I was a kid and got me to play a bunch of other classic series like FF, Chrono Trigger, Dragon Quest, Xenosaga, etc.
GS: TLA and ToS are still my favorite games in the genre (although FF9 is a close third), and Isaac and Lloyd both have a special place in my heart. May Isaacbros and Lloydbros stand together until both our characters can duke it out in Smash!

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

Quick comment on the Reddit poll: while the result isn't surprising, it's fascinating to see Isaac got 10k more votes over the course of the tournament. While that number is slightly skewed by his loser bracket run since he had to go through two more rounds than Banjo, he still got the most votes of any character by far, which speaks volume to the dedication of his fans over the course of the tournament. Well done y'all!
Oh, right, Dracula's Castle. Yeah that was dumb on me.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
So it seems that Isaac is heavily supported and my suspicions seem to be true. Many Nintendo fans of the lesser known side of Nintendo games want their franchises to be revived:
  • Custom Robo
  • Chibi Robo
  • Sin and Punishment
  • Hotel Dusk
  • Trace Memory
  • Magical Starsign
  • Advance Wars
  • Doshin the Giant
  • Panel De Pon
And the fans of these franchises voted for Isaac and are pushing for Golden Sun to be revived so their franchises may be revived as well. Isaac comes from the same cloth as the other lesser known Nintendo franchises and by supporting Isaac they hope that their franchises will be revived alongside Golden Sun.

Do you guys believe this to be true?

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I feel that if Isaac gets in Smash because of their fans, it would be like sending a love letter to the Takahashi brothers.

It seemed that they really wanted to make this it an expansive series for people of all ages to get into, but Camelot wasn’t able to fufill that, and since then they may have enthusiasm for continuing the series.

But if Sakurai ends up going to them to ask for Isaac to join Nintendo’s biggest brawler and get insight on them, they would explode with excitement about something they would’ve cut their leg off for and re-excite then to want to work on the series and being able to now that Isaac, GS, (and hopefully Felix) will be in a much larger spotlight shown to many due to fan demand and more outreach by Smash’s power.

They probably would’ve worked every step of the way to help Isaac come to life. Extra points if Felix joins for the ride. And to help satisfy the fans that have been longing him for so long.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
So it seems that Isaac is heavily supported and my suspicions seem to be true. Many Nintendo fans of the lesser known side of Nintendo games want their franchises to be revived:
  • Custom Robo
  • Chibi Robo
  • Sin and Punishment
  • Hotel Dusk
  • Trace Memory
  • Magical Starsign
  • Advance Wars
  • Doshin the Giant
And the fans of these franchises voted for Isaac and are pushing for Golden Sun to be revived so their franchises may be revived as well. Isaac comes from the same cloth as the other lesser known Nintendo franchises and by supporting Isaac they hope that their franchises will be revived alongside Golden Sun.

You forgot Panel de Pon. N N. Onymous will be furious.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
- The swordfighter hate boner is real, unfortunately, but that didn't stop Isaac from securing second place. The persistence from the Golden Sun fanbase and the support from others was unreal.
I would guess that Isaac was one of these swordfighters- while it's not his primary descriptor, he is one and I'm sure it'd appear in his moveset for at least some neutrals/tilts, kinda like how Corrin holds a sword, but it's mostly just for show.

I'm personally a big fan of swordfighters, since I find them a little more fun, and this poll was flooded by great choices- Isaac, Sora, Lloyd, Elma, Rex and Pyra, just to name a few. Swordfighter fans weren't at a loss for options.

Q-Long

Smash Lord
  • Custom Robo
  • Chibi Robo
  • Sin and Punishment
  • Hotel Dusk
  • Trace Memory
  • Magical Starsign
  • Advance Wars
  • Doshin the Giant

Pretty much, people who love dead series just have a certain sense of empathy for each other.

Dionaea_floridensis

Smash Journeyman
I loathe Disney as it is today. Disney has a mixed reputation amongst Floridians since they bring us stupid amounts of money but they also throw their weight around pretty brazenly. This public school in Orlando painted a mural with Disney characters on it for the kids, and Disney made them tear it down. There's loads of stories like this, and don't even get me started about how they treat the park employees good lord.

Last edited:

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
I'm sorry for this everyone but, AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANHHMDFJFHBFDHVUB!!!
I just realized something!!! On October 10, 2007, Sonic was revealed to be in Brawl and was THE most hyped reveal ever! I know I was at that time. My most wanted got in finally. And I have yet to have that kind of hype happen to me again. BUT, if the rumor of a Smash Direct happens on October 10th, then Isaac has to be the one revealed! He's the only one that will give me that hype again. Plus, Shadow would make a lot of sense to be revealed too as it would be exactly 11 years since Sonic's reveal.

I don't know about you guys, but if I get Isaac (and Felix) AND Shadow in the same direct after 11 years, then I might just die from excitement.

Anyway, rambling over. Lol

Edit: Also, we're on page 555! 5 is my favorite number. And there are three 5s in this page when I had my realization and I mentioned 3 fighters I want to see. ITS A SIGN GUYS!!! lol

Last edited:

Gioka

Smash Journeyman
Hi guys, finally returning to be more active! Congrats on the second place on the poll we showed Isaac is indeed the number one most wanted first party! Have we have any news in the time I was gone?

D

Deleted member

• Custom Robo
  • Chibi Robo
  • Sin and Punishment
  • Hotel Dusk
  • Trace Memory
  • Magical Starsign
  • Advance Wars
  • Doshin the Giant
  • Panel De Pon

I honestly doubt all of those will be revived, but I am hoping that Golden Sun represents all of them by allowing music tracks to be played in the Lighthouse stage. Would they fit? Probably not, but it'd be nicer than being stuck in Hanenbow or Tomodachi Life, IMHO.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
I honestly doubt all of those will be revived, but I am hoping that Golden Sun represents all of them by allowing music tracks to be played in the Lighthouse stage. Would they fit? Probably not, but it'd be nicer than being stuck in Hanenbow or Tomodachi Life, IMHO.
Advanced Wars has the most chance to be revived. Since IS is still somewhat intact. (Unlike treasure. :<)

Last edited:

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
So Isaac got 2nd on the reddit poll, Banjo-Kazooie got 1st etc...

Dixie didn't even make top 20. Was she even included in the poll at all? I find it hard to believe she'd lose to characters like Sceptile at this point. Must be the whole "she's just gonna be an Echo" argument.

DogManStar

Smash Ace
I loathe Disney as it is today. Disney has a mixed reputation amongst Floridians since they bring us stupid amounts of money but they also throw their weight around pretty brazenly. This public school in Orlando painted a mural with Disney characters on it for the kids, and Disney made them tear it down. There's loads of stories like this, and don't even get me started about how they treat the park employees good lord.
WDW is like its own little city with the Reedy Creek Improvement District and all that stuff. I do like Disney and the parks, but they're not perfect, some stuff they do is pretty questionable yeah.

That being said, I do think Sora is possible. I don't think Disney has any reason to keep him out of Smash, unless they try to do something weird like force Mickey in alongside Sora, which I don't think they would do.

edit: Dixie was an echo on the reddit poll yes Ultinarok Ultinarok

Last edited:

Saer2k

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Justin2k
3DS FC
1135-3138-2130
Switch FC
SW-1055-8581-7038
Does anybody want a Dragon Quest rep here? I know I would want one. I honestly could see that Square Enix rep being a Dragon Quest rep if it isn't Geno.

That impact that the Dragon Quest series/franchise has given to RPGs is great. And Sakurai has a history in wanting franchises that has an impact in the gaming history with like Street Fighter and such.
I think a Dragon Quest Rep would be cool, but I like someone said on here, There's not a lot of recognizable Heroes from the series besides maybe 3 or 8. I could see them adding a Dragon Quest boss in the game, maybe the dragonlord from the first game. I wouldn't be complaining though, it does have history with Nintendo.

Although if there's another Square-Enix rep that's not Geno, I might go with Crono. He's from one of the best selling rpg on the Super Nintendo "Chrono Trigger"; I think he does deserve a special place in this roster, just like a Dragon Quest Hero would. This is me just wishful thinking, but if Crono does get in. I would love to have Serge from "Chrono Cross" in as well. It would be cool to see both the main protagonists from the same series side by side.

Last edited:

FantastiqueFran

Smash Cadet
NNID
Haruki-KunST
Whelp, like always, the Smash GameFAQs is raging over the recent Reddit poll. I swear, that place is just one big pessimistic echo chamber.

Yet, that's the place where Vergeben's word is taken as gospel and that's where all the so-called leaks originate from. Brainlets, all of them.

Though, it's quite fun to see those users come up with excuses. I'll just be over here, drinking my tea and watching the circus unfold.

Last edited:

Dionaea_floridensis

Smash Journeyman
WDW is like its own little city with the Reedy Creek Improvement District and all that stuff. I do like Disney and the parks, but they're not perfect, some stuff they do is pretty questionable yeah.

That being said, I do think Sora is possible. I don't think Disney has any reason to keep him out of Smash, unless they try to do something weird like force Mickey in alongside Sora, which I don't think they would do.

edit: Dixie was an echo on the reddit poll yes Ultinarok Ultinarok
Disney has done more good than bad for Florida, that much is certain. Orlando pretty much wouldn't exist were it not for Disney.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
So Isaac got 2nd on the reddit poll, Banjo-Kazooie got 1st etc...

Dixie didn't even make top 20. Was she even included in the poll at all? I find it hard to believe she'd lose to characters like Sceptile at this point. Must be the whole "she's just gonna be an Echo" argument.
They split polls between unique and Echo fighters. Dixie was probably in the latter.

Top Bottom