• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
This is the first vote that actually had me struggling - Lloyd and Skull Kid would both be really neat. Ultimately went for Lloyd because he could use the win more. One interesting thing to note is that if Lloyd and Isaac both win their matches, they'll be up against each other tomorrow, which might be tough given that...

Still diggin' that. I think Skies of Arcadia-fans are part of this union too (I have found a Vyse-fan that's also Isaac + Lloyd-fan).

But yeah, it's gonna be pretty rather rough choice if this ends up the way it goes... :025:

DogManStar

Smash Ace
I think both Isaac and Geno are pretty unlikely but it would be super great if we could get both in one game. That would be real dedication to the fanbase right there.

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
I think both Isaac and Geno are pretty unlikely but it would be super great if we could get both in one game. That would be real dedication to the fanbase right there.
Funnily enough, I actually think these two are the most newcomers left, both being a near lock. I highly doubt Sakurai doesn't see the demand for both these characters, and decides to put in ****ing Steve before them.

Mod edit: please, let the censor do its job.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dionaea_floridensis

Smash Journeyman
I have a $50 bet with my friend that Geno is in base. I'm extremely confident of his chances because of his mii costume alone. He's a huge Geno fan but is pessimistic about his odds. Conversely, he thinks the Rathalos tweet confirmed Isaac and bet me $50 that Isaac is in base.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I don't really have much of an opinion on Lloyd since I've never really played a Tales of game, despite really wanting to get into the series for a decade now, but I do think Lloyd is a really cool character with move set potential that would work really well in Smash. Despite that, I do have an affinity with Skull Kid since he's the villain of my favorite game of all time tied with MGS4. Majora's Mask is just a really special game to me.

I've always liked the idea of both and, especially during Smash 4, Lloyd has had a cool and collected following so I do hope that he will get in eventually, but I think my vote still goes to Skull Kid this round. Sorry Lloyd fans. Hope we can still be bros.
I have a $50 bet with my friend that Geno is in base. I'm extremely confident of his chances because of his mii costume alone. He's a huge Geno fan but is pessimistic about his odds. Conversely, he thinks the Rathalos tweet confirmed Isaac and bet me $50 that Isaac is in base.
Inb4 they're both in and no money gets traded at all.

Last edited:

TappyBat

Smash Ace
Funnily enough, I actually think these two are the most newcomers left, both being a near lock. I highly doubt Sakurai doesn't see the demand for both these characters, and decides to put in f***ing Steve before them.
it's hard to tell with him really. I mean I wasn't expecting isabelle (maybe that's just my distaste for animal crossing i unno) yet here we are

Isaac for Smash Pls

Smash Journeyman
My confidence in the base game would be slipping except I still believe that the Corocoro 108 stages thing is significant. If there are indeed 5 new stages left to reveal, then at least 1-2 of those must be based on new franchises, right? Otherwise why hide them? Or if it's a stage from Super Mario RPG that would give away the fact that Geno is in the game.

But even if our boy Isaac isn't in the base game, I'm going to keep banging the drum about DLC. Mark my words, guys: Ultimate will have more DLC characters and stages than Sm4sh did. There's just no way it won't. Even when you get the obvious first party inclusions out of the way like an ARMS rep and Rex/Pyra, that still leaves lots of room for third party surprises and first party stalwarts like Isaac if he somehow slips through the net and doesn't end up in the base game.

As far as Lloyd goes, I think he's very likely as DLC if not in the base game. If Capcom, Konami, Sega, and probably Squeenix all get 2 reps and/or echoes, why wouldn't Bandai Namco? Especially when they're actually working on the game. And no other character in their stable is more popular/requested than Lloyd.

Overall I feel like people are way too pessimistic. Nintendo is DEFINITELY aware of the fan demand for Isaac, Geno, Banjo-Kazooie Lloyd, Bandana Dee, etc. The only reason they wouldn't be in the game in the 3rd party cases are because of the rights holders not willing to play ball, which I personally see as unlikely. For characters like Isaac it's literally just about how Sakurai feels, and on that front we have the Rathalos tweet.

Only 2 months to go before all is revealed, and even then we probably have 1-2 years of DLC left. Stay positive everyone.

Last edited:

DogManStar

Smash Ace
I'm confident that the DLC period for this game is going to be longer than Smash 4's. Notice how the end of Smash 4 DLC coincides with the beginning of planning for Ultimate? I think it would have gone on for longer if they hadn't known development on a new game was going to begin soon. Also, if development on a new game wasn't going to be happening around that time, we might have seen fan favorites like K. Rool make it as DLC. With the ballot ending shortly before the planning seemed to begin for Ultimate, I think they held off on including the biggest names in speculation to save as treats for the base roster of Ultimate. Also, I think "Everyone is Here!" was likely a ballot thing.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm confident that the DLC period for this game is going to be longer than Smash 4's. Notice how the end of Smash 4 DLC coincides with the beginning of planning for Ultimate? I think it would have gone on for longer if they hadn't known development on a new game was going to begin soon. Also, if development on a new game wasn't going to be happening around that time, we might have seen fan favorites like K. Rool make it as DLC. With the ballot ending shortly before the planning seemed to begin for Ultimate, I think they held off on including the biggest names in speculation to save as treats for the base roster of Ultimate. Also, I think "Everyone is Here!" was likely a ballot thing.
Not to mention that since development won't be divvied up between two different versions of one game this time, the staff can devote all their resources into making additional content.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
My confidence in the base game would be slipping except I still believe that the Corocoro 108 stages thing is significant. If there are indeed 5 new stages left to reveal, then at least 1-2 of those must be based on new franchises, right? Otherwise why hide them? Or if it's a stage from Super Mario RPG that would give away the fact that Geno is in the game.
This makes me hopeful. Sure, I think many of us are expecting one of them to be Pokefloats 2 and think that they're saving it to surprise us because the original was a fan favorite. Maybe one of them is the Monster Hunter stage, just in a form that we haven't seen (or maybe we will get it flat).

That still leaves three stages, and I feel like there aren't any new releases that really warrant adding stages to franchises that already have some. Odyssey and BoTW both got some, FE:Fates kinda missed its shot, Splatoon gets a stage already, Pokemon is probably that Pokefloats thing... honestly, what else are they going to do unless it's stuff for newcomers?

With Ken not getting a stage and Incineroar/Pokemon Rep overlapping with Pokefloats 2, that's at least three potential new stages with characters from unrepped games, a perfect spot for the likes of Isaac, Elma, Geno, or Sora to slide into.

TheSpaceKing12

Banned via Warnings
NNID
IsaacForSSB4
3DS FC
2105-8706-4581
The Isabelle reveal certainly did a number on people's hope's, huh? That in conjunction with the leaks and rumors it seem's like people's confidence have wavered a lot. I for one subscribe to blog theory which indicates there's a mixture of 5-8 characters left. (with the majority being echos if on the higher side) And within that space i'd be shocked if Isaac isn't there, even still. lol

Allow me to remind you all of the Gematsu leaker. It seemed like that guy's words were gospel. But he didn't say Bowser JR, he didn't say Duck Hunt, and he didn't say Rosalina. Now allow me to reiterate that in the smash 4 hype, this leak was gospel. Basically infallible. I had friend's who supported Robin pack up shop accepting that Chrom would be the guy who made it. But even the best leaks have cracks or are missing information. Heck, Vergeben doesn't even know who the Square character is for certain. And he didn't know that K rool was in the game(In fact at one point he thought he wasn't) anyways. What all i'm trying to say is that even when thing's seem like stone, often times they aren't.

Undella2

Smash Journeyman
What music track from Dark Dawn that isn't a remix of an earlier GS song would you like to see in Smash if Isaac makes it in?

LuminoZero

Smash Apprentice
What music track from Dark Dawn that isn't a remix of an earlier GS song would you like to see in Smash if Isaac makes it in?
Mod Edit: please don't post media only responses.

Last edited by a moderator:

jweb23

Smash Journeyman
Right now I’ve pretty much subscribed to the Blog theory and Music theory until proven otherwise. I’ll believe Incineroar as well as Steve WHEN I SEE IT!

Also as it’s been stated by others we have 5 more stages so even if Steve and Incineroar are legit that’s only 2 stages assuming Incineroar even gets one. There is a lot still going for Isaac in the base roster. I know most of us if not all are pessimistic considering how badly we got burned in Smash 4 but I truly believe he is in. Sadly I believe he will be revealed last along with Geno so we are most likely gonna suffer until the end lol.

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
Not to mention that since development won't be divvied up between two different versions of one game this time, the staff can devote all their resources into making additional content.
I think this fact right here gets extremely underestimated. People forget that it took 2 1/2 years to develop BOTH Smash games for the 3DS and the Wii U. And they had a lot of setbacks and limitations to deal with. Especially with the 3DS version. So when they say that the 2 1/2 years it took to make Ultimate, which they have said that they are using Smash 4 Wii U as their basis to make Ultimateso they can cut down dev time by a lot, and the full team is now focusing on one game (not two), means "not a lot of newcomers" is just flat out crazy.

Also, when Sakurai says the words, "Too Many" could mean anything in his statement, "so I hope you're not expecting TOO MANY new fighters". Ok, so, too many as in past the number Smash 4 had or what? Again, I feel like this is a way to lower our expectations only to over deliver us. It's one of the best sales tactics.

Edit: Spelling

Last edited:

DogManStar

Smash Ace
I feel like two unique newcomers isn't what will happen, but I'm trying to keep my expectations at two just so I don't feel disappointed when that possibly happens.

tbuster766

Smash Journeyman
The Isabelle reveal certainly did a number on people's hope's, huh? That in conjunction with the leaks and rumors it seem's like people's confidence have wavered a lot. I for one subscribe to blog theory which indicates there's a mixture of 5-8 characters left. (with the majority being echos if on the higher side) And within that space i'd be shocked if Isaac isn't there, even still. lol

Allow me to remind you all of the Gematsu leaker. It seemed like that guy's words were gospel. But he didn't say Bowser JR, he didn't say Duck Hunt, and he didn't say Rosalina. Now allow me to reiterate that in the smash 4 hype, this leak was gospel. Basically infallible. I had friend's who supported Robin pack up shop accepting that Chrom would be the guy who made it. But even the best leaks have cracks or are missing information. Heck, Vergeben doesn't even know who the Square character is for certain. And he didn't know that K rool was in the game(In fact at one point he thought he wasn't) anyways. What all i'm trying to say is that even when thing's seem like stone, often times they aren't.
Funny thing was that as soon as Gematsu got Chrom wrong, a lot of people joined a new bandwagon saying things like " RIP GEMATSU" and even went as far as saying Shulk would never be in smash (ironically enough those same haters were shut down a month or so later). In that July direct everyone thought it was Shulk, but Sakurai saved him towards the end. I feel Isaac is like in a similar boat in that regard where many expected him in the September direct only to get Isabelle instead ( btw love Isabelle as a character). There's no saying if Isaac will be in the base or not, but I feel like his chances are relatively decent. I also feel in Vergeban's case even if he gets something wrong he'll just backpedal and say " muh sources" and people will just eat that up. That's just me.

Last edited:

ZelDan

Smash Master
I'm expecting atleast 2 uniques and 3 echoes, or basically, if we only have one more smash direct, it will be about the same level as the August one. Honestly though, I wouldn't be surprised if we still have 1 or 2 characters beyond that (unique and/or echo). If we only have one more Smash direct, maybe it will be bigger than the August one to really get the hype going. Or maybe as I said, earlier, we get a final Smash direct that is about the same as the August one, BUT maybe get a "robin/Lucina style" trailer for one character (and maybe an echo along with that if the echo goes with the unique character) late October or something.

Confirmation

Smash Ace
Funny thing was that as soon as Gematsu got Chrom wrong, a lot of people joined a new bandwagon saying things like " RIP GEMATSU" and even went as far as saying Shulk would never be in smash (ironically enough those same haters were shut down a month or so later). In that July direct everyone thought it was Shulk, but Sakurai saved him towards the end. I feel Isaac is like in a similar boat in that regard where many expected him in the September direct only to get Isabelle instead ( btw love Isabelle as a character). There's no saying if Isaac will be in the base or not, but I feel like his chances are relatively decent. I also feel in Vergeban's case even if he gets something wrong he'll just backpedal and say " muh sources" and people will just eat that up. That's just me.
It is worth stating Vergeben's had bad sources at least 3 times this far:

First, in the beginning of the year where his first leak included the likes of several ATs.

Second, the Loz fiasco with the DK rep

Third, with a source stating Isabelle was an echo.

Shin F.

Smash Master
I think this fact right here gets extremely underestimated. People forget that it took 2 1/2 years to develop BOTH Smash games for the 3DS and the Wii U. And they had a lot of setbacks and limitations to deal with. Especially with the 3DS version. So when they say that the 2 1/2 years it took to make Ultimate, which they have said that they are using Smash 4 Wii U as their basis to make Ultimateso they can cut down dev time by a lot, and the full team is now focusing on one game (not two), means "not a lot of newcomers" is just flat out crazy.

Also, when Sakurai says the words, "Too Many" could mean anything in his statement, "so I hope you're not expecting TOO MANY new fighters". Ok, so, too many as in past the number Smash 4 had or what? Again, I feel like this is a way to lower our expectations only to over deliver us. It's one of the best sales tactics.

Edit: Spelling
All of these are true and are important factors, but just so we don't forget:
Sakurai said:
Adding new characters is not a simple addition – it’s really multiplication. The amount of work, adding a character is multiplied and becomes bigger and bigger as you go.
Every new character takes more resources than the last, because they have to be designed, balanced and adjusted against the entire cast. So the bigger the cast, the more work each character takes individually. It's not completely crazy to say "not too many newcomers".

Last edited:

Isaac for Smash Pls

Smash Journeyman
I was fully expecting 4-5 character reveals until that Famitsu article where Sakurai said that the pace of reveals would slow down significantly. Of course, that could just mean that we'll only have one final blowout of reveals and still get 4-5 like with the August Direct, or it could mean that there really are only 2-3 characters (including echoes) left in the base game. Either way I'm quite satisfied with the roster as it stands and any obvious gaps will definitely be plugged through DLC as far as I'm concerned.

So my major reservation now is about single-player content. I'm not huge in online multiplayer and I only get to play with people irl every so often, so the major failing of Sm4sh to me was that there just wasn't enough compelling single player stuff to hold me for more than a couple of months. I'm hoping that this Spirits mode or whatever it is will be closer to SSE than whatever Sm4sh had, and I hope all the other fan favorites like Event Matches and All-Stars Mode come back.

Undella2

Smash Journeyman
I just want to see the Halberd do space-battleship stuff in glorious HD if we do have a fully fleshed-out story mode.

jweb23

Smash Journeyman

First, in the beginning of the year where his first leak included the likes of several ATs.

What was the Assist Trophy leak you’re talking about? I’ve never heard of it.

TheSpaceKing12

Banned via Warnings
NNID
IsaacForSSB4
3DS FC
2105-8706-4581

He had one source say Isabelle was an echo, this is true. But he reported outright that he was unsure of her status. Just that she was in the game in some capacity. It was the internet hype machine that said Echo lol

Tetiro

Smash Ace
Hey peeps I'm back from my weekend. It was a very hectic one. Furniture building, room sorting and cosplay crafting.

So erm...what's been going on in the Isaac thread? I'm kind of out of the loop since Friday morning!

Nossnitro102

Smash Journeyman
^ Leak hell from what I can tell.
Yeah I've not being doing well lately. That's why I haven't been very active these past couple days. Plus I'm still going back and forth constantly.

Tetiro

Smash Ace
^ Leak hell from what I can tell.
Yeah I've not being doing well lately. That's why I haven't been very active these past couple days. Plus I'm still going back and forth constantly.
Ah the usual then!

I haven't been doing well either. I am physically exhausted from all the lack of sleep and hard work. Wednesday should recharge my batteries

LegendOfDragoon

Smash Journeyman
He had one source say Isabelle was an echo, this is true. But he reported outright that he was unsure of her status. Just that she was in the game in some capacity. It was the internet hype machine that said Echo lol
That's the thing for me, everything come with verbiage so he can backpedal or blame a bad source if he needs to.

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
A new month now begins. Do you guys think we are going to get a new Nintendo direct or possibly a mini smash trailer for a newcomer this month considering the special edition coming out in early November? It's just something that has been on my mind.

Isaac for Smash Pls

Smash Journeyman
A new month now begins. Do you guys think we are going to get a new Nintendo direct or possibly a mini smash trailer for a newcomer this month considering the special edition coming out in early November? It's just something that has been on my mind.
The optimist in me says we'll get major info in October, but maybe not until late in the month. My reason for thinking this is that they'll probably want all of November for news about the single player modes and the remaining characters to make their way around the internet. That also minimizes the chances of a leak assuming review copies go out in November. The other option is that we get a small bit of info in early October or nothing at all and then it's all dumped in November. Either way I'm fairly happy because realistically we'll know everything that's in the base game in the next 45 days or so.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
Right now I’ve pretty much subscribed to the Blog theory and Music theory until proven otherwise. I’ll believe Incineroar as well as Steve WHEN I SEE IT!

Also as it’s been stated by others we have 5 more stages so even if Steve and Incineroar are legit that’s only 2 stages assuming Incineroar even gets one. There is a lot still going for Isaac in the base roster. I know most of us if not all are pessimistic considering how badly we got burned in Smash 4 but I truly believe he is in. Sadly I believe he will be revealed last along with Geno so we are most likely gonna suffer until the end lol.
Even if Pokemon ends up being the exception with the music theory, it still makes logical sense to expect that a Golden Sun song randomly going up without Isaac would question his playability status for a character who's music has been features in other characters stages (and the music now being separated by series).

Though I was hoping Isaacs reveal wouldn't drag out till the final direct just so we could have a moment to chill and sit back. And I fully expect next reveal to be Incineroar or something and thus for the box theory and Verge gospel to be full force along with the ensuing pessimism.

It's at a point where we've reiterated hints and evidence pointing to Isaac so many times that if I was still taking classes for college I'd choose Isaac's chances for Smash Ult as my research topic and turn it in for extra credit. I'm just ready to fast forward to November and sit down and get hype for more single player info and Isaac's potential reveal.

Last edited:

Tetiro

Smash Ace
October is quite an important month.

There are several possible combinations that will occur in October and November

• October gets a Smash Direct, November gets nothing
  • October gets nothing, November gets a Smash Direct
  • October gets a General Direct, November gets nothing
  • October gets nothing, November gets a General Direct
  • October gets a Smash Direct, November gets a General Direct
  • October gets a General Direct, November gets a Smash Direct
  • October and November both get a General Direct
  • October and November both get a Smash Direct (very unlikely!)
  • October and November get nothing (very unlikely!)

A good number of outcomes are hinged on what October has to offer. A November Direct is a lock so no need to worry about it.
But October is flakey in its likelihood.

If we get a Smash or General Direct, 6+ outcomes disappear straight away. If no Direct occurs, only 3 outcomes remain. It's a scary month as it will also determine what sort of Direct we will get next month.

-If there is no General or Smash Direct in October, a Smash Direct is a lock in November
-If there is a Smash Direct in October, that is likely our final Smash Direct

Regardless of whether or not October has a Direct, this month is the one to watch! And from my own research, an October direct is typically on a Tuesday/Thursday which means it is likely the 2nd*, 4th, 9th*, 11th, 16th*, 18th or 23rd* with the * ones being the most likely.

This month is going to be one to watch!

Last edited:

Mehdow

Smash Journeyman

A good number of outcomes are hinged on what October has to offer. A November Direct is a lock so no need to worry about it.

If we get a Smash or General Direct, 6+ outcomes disappear straight away. If no Direct occurs, only 3 outcomes remain. It's a scary month as it will also determine what sort of Direct we will get next month.

-If there is no General or Smash Direct in October, a Smash Direct is a lock in November

Regardless of whether or not October has a Direct, this month is the one to watch! And from my own research, an October direct is typically on a Tuesday/Thursday which means it is likely the 2nd*, 4th, 9th*, 11th, 16th*, 18th or 23rd* with the * ones being the most likely.

I would say 16th or 18th. The August direct was announced 3 days before it (5th, Wednesday), so maybe we get a 10/10 (also Wednesday).

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

I think the outcomes you're ignoring are getting a short one-off reveal in one of the two months. IMO that's more likely than almost every outcome listed.

* October gets a one-off fighter reveal (similar to Robin/Lucina), November gets a Smash Direct
* October gets a Smash Direct, October gets a one-off fighter reveal (similar to Robin/Lucina)

Top Bottom