• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
http://www.siliconera.com/2018/09/2...cho-fighter-and-the-chaos-that-is-smash-bros/

“Because of the Hokkaido Eastern Iburi earthquake, the Nintendo Direct was delayed, meaning that the prepared scripts couldn’t be used. This also led to a week’s delay in his column as well.”

Probably is nothing but at least it gives me hope.
Wasn't there another more recent translation that didn't have that though?

I think Sakurai was talking about pushing back the interview with Famitsu not about being unable to use a direct script.

Wasn't it Pushdustin who said it didn't say that?

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Wasn't there another more recent translation that didn't have that though?

I think Sakurai was talking about pushing back the interview with Famitsu not about being unable to use a direct script.

Wasn't it Pushdustin who said it didn't say that?
Yes, but it still feels strange that Siliconera would be reporting the same thing. Unless they had the exact same translation or something...

Confirmation

Smash Ace
Yes, but it still feels strange that Siliconera would be reporting the same thing. Unless they had the exact same translation or something...
We're definitely in questionable territory when it comes to the translation. Either several sites are piggybacking off the same wrong source or they're the ones that are correct.

Until we ourselves can get our hands on the Japanese text, I'm not sure if we can draw any conclusions about it.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Does that mean Pushdustin was wrong?

It seems unlikely that Siliconera wouldn't fact check these things....but it's not like they can't make mistakes either. Maybe they were careless this time and posted incorrect information?

How hard is it to contact someone who knows Japanese and ask them? :p

Last edited:

I_DON'T_KNOW_YOU!

Smash Journeyman
D

Deleted member

The fact we eliminated Phoenix Wright makes me super happy. God, I find Ace Attorney lame.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
We beat Phoenix?!?!? WHAT!?!? NO WAY?!?! WOW!!!
But now we're facing Sora? Oh no...
Well it's not really going to get any easier from here on out. You know there's only 6 characters left in the competition right?

None of the remaining five characters (Sora, Lloyd, Geno, Banjo & Kazooie or Skull Kid) should be underestimated.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
gotta stick with Lloyd and Isaac Sword Bros gotta stick together
If they both get through it'll be interesting to seem them facing off against each other.

While I'm personally not a massive Lloyd fan (though I do like him since I played Symphonia) I get the impression there's a fair bit of overlap between Isaac and Lloyds fanbases.

TheSpaceKing12

Banned via Warnings
NNID
IsaacForSSB4
3DS FC
2105-8706-4581
Sora's highest pull at 3.4K, Isaac's was 3.5K. Assuming there isn't a significant overlap in support, it's suffice to say Isaac has decent potential to win, though it's not a sure bet.

Still making it to top 6 is one heck of a feat. Regardless of if he progresses or not.

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
I think we can beat Sora, but if someone like Zero shares the reddit poll, we're probably screwed. He's a big Sora supporter and his fanbase would kill ours, sadly. Hopefully that doesn't happen though! Let's go Isaac!

osby

Smash Obsessed
Does this voting matter that much? It's just a fan pool. Isaac is either in the game or not at this point.

tbuster766

Smash Journeyman
I think we can beat Sora, but if someone like Zero shares the reddit poll, we're probably screwed. He's a big Sora supporter and his fanbase would kill ours, sadly. Hopefully that doesn't happen though! Let's go Isaac!
Does Zero usually share these kinds of polls on twitter or some other social media?

FlawedAI

Smash Ace
Does Zero usually share these kinds of polls on twitter or some other social media?
I don't think so, but if someone tweeted this at him he might mention it and get people going. That said, it could also bring Isaac supporters who follow Zero, but it's more likely a Sora army appears.

Confirmation

Smash Ace
So because I have some down time, I decided to do a bit of digging on Senjougahara__Hitagi, or how everyone knows him: the Vergeben friend who leaked Steve and a supposed Granblue character. He's also disconfirmed Paper Mario.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SamuraiSho...shiki_and_rimururu_leaked_by_vergeben/e6mh4fc

Comment made on Steve appearing to be DLC. Also states that DLC isn’t done yet, which is interesting considering comments I’ve seen stating that the DLC roster is already finalized.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Kappa/comm...its_new_game_by_snk_just_announced_in/e6cwn9u

Comment made on him not knowing anything about DLC??? Not interested in Smash???

https://www.reddit.com/r/Kappa/comments/9g065x/shoutouts_to_rkappa_but_****_maikky/e64g33b

Backpedaling on Granblue character, though to be fair he edited the original comment.

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/9j09no/daily_discussion_thread_092618/e6p6yio

Shares sources but cannot confirm Kencineroar?

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Does this voting matter that much? It's just a fan pool. Isaac is either in the game or not at this point.
Anything that the community pays attention to that shows Isaac is in demand is a positive thing. We'll be glad to have polls like this if it turns out Isaac isn't on the base roster. If we're pushing for Isaac as dlc we're going to need more recent indicators that Isaac is still in demand. (the ballot exit poll is promising but it is from three years ago)

Not that I think this one poll would make as much of an impact as the ballot, but we know that Treehouse members do frequent Reddit so it's likely they see information like this and pass it along. (I don't know the source unfortunately but I did hear there was an interview where this was stated)

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
So because I have some down time, I decided to do a bit of digging on Senjougahara__Hitagi, or how everyone knows him: the Vergeben friend who leaked Steve and a supposed Granblue character. He's also disconfirmed Paper Mario.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SamuraiSho...shiki_and_rimururu_leaked_by_vergeben/e6mh4fc

Comment made on Steve appearing to be DLC. Also states that DLC isn’t done yet, which is interesting considering comments I’ve seen stating that the DLC roster is already finalized.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Kappa/comm...its_new_game_by_snk_just_announced_in/e6cwn9u

Comment made on him not knowing anything about DLC??? Not interested in Smash???

https://www.reddit.com/r/Kappa/comments/9g065x/shoutouts_to_rkappa_but_****_maikky/e64g33b

Backpedaling on Granblue character, though to be fair he edited the original comment.

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/9j09no/daily_discussion_thread_092618/e6p6yio

Man, these leakers can’t even get their stories straight.

When people say there's too many sword fighters
View attachment 167347
I find it funny that Kirby is smack dab in the center of that Venn diagram.

I_DON'T_KNOW_YOU!

Smash Journeyman

That's why you use leakers as a gauge to the final roster, not a guarantee.

Anyway, I felt like sharing this-

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Ok, I guess I will chime in a bit on the DLC thing. I won't be addressing anyone directly, but more so trying to bring light to a bit of things.

In game development there are processes and phases, most of the planning of how and when the game is going to be developed is done by the designers (or sometimes specific roles that are informed by the designer what needs to be done then they plan it out). In the early stages of a game, designers must work really hard to get everything in full gear because all other people depend on them to start their own work, I.E: Artists cannot start on character models until they are given a list of characters that have been chosen by the designers; Programmers cannot start making a character if the character's moveset hasn't been thought out yet.

Game's are iterative processes so as the development keeps going, design is going to change and adapt a lot of things, trying to make the game the best possible. Sometimes these things are very apparent decisions (like say switching Chrom for Robin) while a lot of times it's very subtle decisions that actually matter a lot and change a lot of things (like say, changing jump squat to 3 frames universally which then puts a lot of burden of artists into redoing jump squat animations and into designers into balancing the rest of the game).

It seems most of the thread now understand what "going Gold" means, so I won't explain it. But before you go Gold, the game must go through a phase of "Debugging". This is a phase where art and programming are just focused on fixing what's wrong. Nothing new is added to the game unless it's something incredibly critical (and normally that leads to delays). This phase could last anywhere from 1-2 months on a AAA game. But even way before debugging, there's point in a game's development where Designers must stop developing new ideas, this is when a game is called to be "feature complete". Basically designers have to decide that "enough is enough" and what the game currently has is what it's going to have and that's it.

This is done to give designers time to be able to fine tune/balance all the features currently in the game so they feel the best as possible. Basically you want to make those features as highest quality as possible instead of having a bunch more features that are just crappy. This can be anywhere from 1-2 months before going into debugging.

Basically you have 2-4 months of designers just doing fine tuning and balancing and not thinking of new ideas. While balancing is not an easy job, there are specific people who do each job, and there will definitely be designers who do not do balancing/fine tuning and will be moved onto other projects in these last months. The exception is when a company says: "Well, let's make DLC", at that point, those designers are left on the project and they keep developing ideas just like they have been on the game, except those ideas are sectioned off specifically for DLC.

So yes, planning MUST start before the game goes Gold, otherwise you have people just wasting time not doing anything. The other thing you have to think about is that if you were to wait until after the game goes Gold, then you would have programmers and artists waiting on designers again, as opposed to having programmers and artists immediately start on DLC when the game goes Gold because the designers were already planning ahead.

Also good to note, games have a vast majority of their features planned from the very beginning (with a few coming up during development). This isn't unique to Sakurai (planning the roster ahead of time). Also, note that 99% of games are over scoped and have features cut.

So basically in every single game, the process probably goes:
1-) Make a list of characters in an order.
2-) During development the list gets reordered slightly, also very few characters might get added onto it.
3-) Once is nearing it's release date, at some point the game will be feature locked and the list will be left incomplete, some characters just didn't make it.

These characters that were originally planned and didn't make it because the game was decided to be "feature complete" are prime material for DLC, but it doesn't mean they were "left out for DLC". That said, characters like Banjo or Sora could be purposely left out for DLC just because it's easier to negotiate that way (giving Microsoft/Disney a good chunk of the DLC sales of their character, as opposed to Microsoft/Disney having to share some miniscule % of the total game sales with 20 other companies).

Also if anyone was really a leaker of the very early list of characters that were going to be made, it doesn't mean that 1-2 more characters couldn't be added, or that all of the ones on the list will make it in.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Man, these leakers can’t even get their stories straight.
Exactly why I think that they are full of BS at some extend. They've been feeding from whatever short leaks we've gotten from each other or some other people, and then making up stuff cause they clearly haven't heard the same thing if they share the same source. This is why I'm not paying attention to leakers anymore in this Smash Ultimate cycle, I think they already covered what they managed to know and everything else is just bs. Which is good in the end if true, cause then we can expect surprises without being spoiled really.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Also, can we get some movement going for the voting polls? I know it doesn't mean ****, but while I ****ing LOVE Skull Kid, I really wanted Isaac to be the "most requested Nintendo first party" in the poll. If we lose to Sora, Skull Kid will steal that title.

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
Also, can we get some movement going for the voting polls? I know it doesn't mean ****, but while I ****ing LOVE Skull Kid, I really wanted Isaac to be the "most requested Nintendo first party" in the poll. If we lose to Sora, Skull Kid will steal that title.
Which is a shame because I’m sure Isaac would kick Skull Kid’s ass (and possibly Lloyd’s). While I’m a little less confident in Isaac vs. Sora. Either way, top 6 is wonderful.

Last edited:

SonicLink125

Smash Lord
NNID
SonicLink
While this poll is mostly just for fun, it helps get Isaac's name out there and make people who haven't heard of him do research on Golden Sun. And also realize that his sword is an accessory at best with elemental magic fused in it. Because let's be honest, we only use the basis attack for the chance to unleash the weapon's power on our foes. Sol Blade's Meddigo and Excalibur's Unleash are just some of my favorites for that reason.

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
While I supported Golden Sun by purchasing it on Wii U VC, I never got far into it. I was admittedly disappointed with the first few hours of the game and it's just sat there untouched ever since.

Now wait: when I look at Isaac, I see an appealing character that I might actually use despite having no attachment to his game. I would love to see his moveset stuffed with these psynergy powers and the sword used sparingly, to help really set him apart. The Djinn are also interesting to throw into the mix.

I don't know how the true fans would feel about this, but I'd love to see him redesigned with a taller build and more mature facial features. He looks okay as a boy hero, but I'd rather see him more similar in age to Marth or Shulk. Regardless, if he gets in I'll have to check him out and would love to add someone as diverse as Isaac to my list of mains. Best of luck Isaac fans.

TappyBat

Smash Ace
While I supported Golden Sun by purchasing it on Wii U VC, I never got far into it. I was admittedly disappointed with the first few hours of the game and it's just sat there untouched ever since.

Now wait: when I look at Isaac, I see an appealing character that I might actually use despite having no attachment to his game. I would love to see his moveset stuffed with these psynergy powers and the sword used sparingly, to help really set him apart. The Djinn are also interesting to throw into the mix.

I don't know how the true fans would feel about this, but I'd love to see him redesigned with a taller build and more mature facial features. He looks okay as a boy hero, but I'd rather see him more similar in age to Marth or Shulk. Regardless, if he gets in I'll have to check him out and would love to add someone as diverse as Isaac to my list of mains. Best of luck Isaac fans.
but he's already 17. he's just short.

Top Bottom