• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sunrise, Sunset - Isaac for Smash Ultimate #GoldenSunday

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
It could actually almost certainly be a case of "exact words". Meaning that, the number of newcomers pales compared to the huge pile of veterans that are in here.
What I was actually saying was that echos don't count and its only the uniques that are the newcomers. If Incineroar and Geno are indeed the final ones then that makes 9 newcomers. Ken would obviously be an echo of Ryu so he wouldn't count.

Mehdow

Smash Journeyman
It's weird the amount of hype created around this game, even more now that looks like there's a new "leak"/"theory" everyday. With the next direct we will have:
- An answer for the "room set up" aka the "chairs" theory (hopefully), we will see if it's true or if the K.Rool - Ropes was just a coincidence.
- An answer for the "box slots" theory
- An answer for the "108 stages" theory
- A final conclusion (not sure) for the Vergeben character leaks
- If Isaac is in the next Direct we could confirm that was the main reason why this last direct was delayed in that weird way and why it felt out paced.

I'm missing something?

Last edited:

Flynn.Scifo

Smash Ace
It's weird the amount of hype created around this game, even more now that looks like there's a new "leak"/"theory" everyday. With the next direct there will be:
- An answer for the "room set up" aka the "chairs" theory (hopefully), we will see if it's true or if the K.Rool - Ropes was just a coincidence.
- An answer for the "box slots" theory
- An answer for the "108 stages" theory
- A final conclusion (not sure) for the Vergeben character leaks
- If Isaac is in the next Direct we could confirm that was the main reason why this last direct was delayed in that weird way and why it felt out paced.

I'm missing something?
If the next character reveal shows Isaac earth bending like crazy we can be 99% certain it was meant to be in last direct.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

WOW people are unrionically pushing that 108 is a typo. That's pathetic. The Boxists are still obnoxious. Hopefully we'll get info soon enough to bury that too
I don't think CoroCoro would make a mistake that flagrant. If they did, they would report the typo on social media if it's a game that has a lot of anticipation.

I just feel like Push is being a ******** because he's part of the Fun Police.

Dionaea_floridensis

Smash Journeyman
Its actually really selling Sakurai short. Every smash game has only increased in the amount of newcomers and Smash 4 had the largest amount yet. I think all Sakurai was saying was to not expect as much as Smash 4. Even something like 12 newcomers 64's roster is about less than half of 4's roster.

Let's get this straight, so working on two games Sakurai can pump out 21 newcomers, but having only to focus on one, somehow it's expected that all he can muster up is the lowest amount of newcomers since the first smash game, only four new stages, one new first party franchise addition, and no other clear ballot favorites other than two of seven newcomers, despite Sakurai saying the ballot was used as a point of reference. As Xeno pointed out, this is beyond being pessimistic, it's such a negative outlook of low expectations that it's almost more of an insult to think Sakurai would churn out the bare minimum of content as if it's simply to get a quick smash game on the Switch when we know he always puts his all in every game as if it's his last.
Hasn't he had just a little under smash 4's dev time with this? He's also not building it from scratch

Dionaea_floridensis

Smash Journeyman
I don't think CoroCoro would make a mistake that flagrant. If they did, they would report the typo on social media if it's a game that has a lot of anticipation.

I just feel like Push is being a ******** because he's part of the Fun Police.
I understand where he's coming from but after a while it comes off as fun policing yeah

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
Apparently a lot has happened since I last posted, but at least one thing sticks out to me: if 108 is a guess, why would they not have gone for 109 since there were 6 empty slots? Further, if 108 was a typo, why is it not one of the digits adjacent to 3 (2, 4, or 6 on a numpad)? Seems to me Corocoro is likely legit information, and 5 would be a great final batch of stages to reveal.

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528
I don't mean to be that odd one out, but I never felt the last Direct was badly paced. I think it all made complete sense from the perspective of a casual viewer. Rewatching it, Isabelle's sequence makes sense and works for what it was made to do. I just feel like popping on the tin foil hat for Isaac because he wasn't shown at the Direct might be a little extreme.

I still 100% think Isaac will be happening because I want to distance myself from any speculation that severely inhibits newcomers like the 103rs and the Boxists, but tin foil hatting the last Direct when it's come and gone, feels like a slight to Isabelle.

Dionaea_floridensis

Smash Journeyman
Apparently a lot has happened since I last posted, but at least one thing sticks out to me: if 108 is a guess, why would they not have gone for 109 since there were 6 empty slots? Further, if 108 was a typo, why is it not one of the digits adjacent to 3 (2, 4, or 6 on a numpad)? Seems to me Corocoro is likely legit information, and 5 would be a great final batch of stages to reveal.
The last spot being open would be for the DLC stage button, like Smash 4 had

D

Deleted member

The idea is that the 109th slot will be for DLC stages, be them returning stages or new stages for DLC fighters.

Dionaea_floridensis

Smash Journeyman
I don't mean to be that odd one out, but I never felt the last Direct was badly paced. I think it all made complete sense from the perspective of a casual viewer. Rewatching it, Isabelle's sequence makes sense and works for what it was made to do. I just feel like popping on the tin foil hat for Isaac because he wasn't shown at the Direct might be a little extreme.

I still 100% think Isaac will be happening because I want to distance myself from any speculation that severely inhibits newcomers like the 103rs and the Boxists, but tin foil hatting the last Direct when it's come and gone, feels like a slight to Isabelle.
Yeah I honestly think the direct wasn't altered very much. I'd gladly eat those words if we get an Isaac reveal with him earthbending like Toph, though.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289

Do you feel Isaac will be in base because from what verg saying of only knowing about two characters I'm not to sure anymore still got hope but I'm thinking early dlc

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion

Sorry Billy. But I STILL think the direct was badly paced. Mostly because Luigi's mansion didn't feel like an opening reveal, and Animal Crossing didn't feel like a ending reveal.

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
The idea is that the 109th slot will be for DLC stages, be them returning stages or new stages for DLC fighters.
So then Corocoro is not only assuming that every slot will be used, but that the last one is reserved for DLC when the stage select already appears to have tabs up top that could also switch to DLC? That's a heck of a stretch; much easier for them to simply give the 103 number previously stated than go out on a limb like that for no reason.

(For the record, I agree that is likely the case judging by SSB4's precedent, but that isn't really the point.)

D

Deleted member

So then Corocoro is not only assuming that every slot will be used, but that the last one is reserved for DLC when the stage select already appears to have tabs up top that could also switch to DLC? That's a heck of a stretch; much easier for them to simply give the 103 number previously stated than go out on a limb like that for no reason.

(For the record, I agree that is likely the case judging by SSB4's precedent, but that isn't really the point.)
It may be a stretch, but it's not unrealistic. Likely, it's a safe bet that DLC is planned, and this time (HOPEFULLY), Sakurai is willing to outsource ideas to other studios to help implement the fighters or stages to ease the load. We'll likely see more than 7 fighters this time around, but I do expect the uploads to be more sporadic than the traditional dumping of packs we see in games, much like was the case in the last installment.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It may be a stretch, but it's not unrealistic. Likely, it's a safe bet that DLC is planned, and this time (HOPEFULLY), Sakurai is willing to outsource ideas to other studios to help implement the fighters or stages to ease the load. We'll likely see more than 7 fighters this time around, but I do expect the uploads to be more sporadic than the traditional dumping of packs we see in games, much like was the case in the last installment.
That would make sense. Though I imagine he wouldn't act out on said plans until right after the game is out, at any rate.

I mean, even Star Allies has sporadic Dream Friends DLC, so it could happen.

Last edited:

Confirmation

Smash Ace
Sakurai confirmed that already didnt he?

New fzero mixes pls

Also looking at melee to brawl and smash 4 to ultimate, smash 4 kinda feels rushed, maybe it's just me
Sakurai said 800 battle tracks 900 total (like title screen and menu music)

900 battle tracks is indeed new information

Q-Long

Smash Lord

I hope this means the following

Golden sun stage
Final Fantasy music
Megaman music that isnt just the NES games
Street Fighter music that isnt just SFII
Real MGS theme back
Warioland music
New Fzero remixes cause fzero got stiffed in smash 4
Advance wars and custom robo at least get a song each

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
Cool, 5 more stages! Sounds good to me! Like everyone else, while I’m not 100% convinced that this info will be completely true and accurate, I still want to throw out my current idea of what I would expect:

1. Rhythm Heaven
This is one I’m actually the most confident in. I think we’re definitely getting more content from this series, and it would make for solid, silly WarioWare, or PictoChat-esque stage which we haven’t had this game yet.
2. Forest Maze
If Geno is in I fully expect him to come with a stage. I’ve never played Super Mario RPG, but from what I understand, this is one of the more famous locations in the game, that is particularly tied to Geno as a character.
3. Venus Lighthouse
If Isaac’s in, he gets a stage. And most of us can agree that Venus Lighthouse would be ideal.
4. Some Alolan Stage
My Sun & Moon knowledge is very limited, but since we got a new Zelda and Mario stage, I fully expect a new Pokémon stage.
5. Something Retro
While I’m not as confident that we’re getting a new retro character this game, I would imagine we’d be getting a stage still. There’s a lot of options so take your pick. Personally, I think a Tetris stage is begging to happen. I think it’s more likely we get a Nintendo stage, but that’s just what I’d like to see.

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528
Do you feel Isaac will be in base because from what verg saying of only knowing about two characters I'm not to sure anymore still got hope but I'm thinking early dlc
I'm still gunning on Isaac for base. In all honesty, if he's not in the base-game or shown off in any capacity, I'd hope early DLC. But honestly, if he isn't shown off at all by the time Ultimate launches and we hear nothing, I won't know what to think given the support Isaac's had for so long.

Sorry Billy. But I STILL think the direct was badly paced. Mostly because Luigi's mansion didn't feel like an opening reveal, and Animal Crossing didn't feel like a ending reveal.
I've watched enough Direct reactions to disagree there. Luigi's Mansion 3 made sense as a starting game as it tied into the Luigi's Mansion 3DS that everyone was expecting - And we knew 3DS content would be focused on at the start of the Direct, as it's always been. Animal Crossing was a massive reveal for the general consumer and from the reactions I've seen, most people were praising it as an end-of-Direct reveal.

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
Again, not the point: I'm simply commenting on the "Is 108 a typo/guess by Corocoro?" speculation and I'm saying it likely is real information. I absolutely agree we'll see DLC and hope they've planned ahead for it so we can see more than we did in SSB4.

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
I'm still gunning on Isaac for base. In all honesty, if he's not in the base-game or shown off in any capacity, I'd hope early DLC. But honestly, if he isn't shown off at all by the time Ultimate launches and we hear nothing, I won't know what to think given the support Isaac's had for so long.

I've watched enough Direct reactions to disagree there. Luigi's Mansion 3 made sense as a starting game as it tied into the Luigi's Mansion 3DS that everyone was expecting - And we knew 3DS content would be focused on at the start of the Direct, as it's always been. Animal Crossing was a massive reveal for the general consumer and from the reactions I've seen, most people were praising it as an end-of-Direct reveal.
Well, Luigi's mansion could've been shown at the Switch showcase. (And really, you're telling me that this unpolished mess looked good enough to open the direct with?)
Also, animal crossing with a date is barely a good announcement to end off the direct with.

No gameplay. No actual date. Just a logo and a year. Basically confirming it's existence and the year. (Which we all know was gonna happen eventually.)

If this is a big announcement to end a direct off, then its lazy as ****.

link2702

Smash Champion
Hey go ahead and put me up on the Isaac supporters list. I might not have played gs before, but y’all been supportive of us on the geno boards so why not? Besides I can’t very well be pushing for a geno vs isaac tournament if I’m not supporting both can i?

Billybae10K

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4311-5852-0528
Well, Luigi's mansion could've been shown at the Switch showcase. (And really, you're telling me that this unpolished mess looked good enough to open the direct with?)
Also, animal crossing with a date is barely a good announcement to end off the direct with.

No gameplay. No actual date. Just a logo and a year. Basically confirming it's existence and the year. (Which we all know was gonna happen eventually.)

If this is a big announcement to end a direct off, then its lazy as ****.
Luigi's Mansion has never been the most graphically pleasing series. But given it's not coming out until 2019 and they clearly just wanted to make sure we knew it was coming, I think it's fine for the point in development it's at. The ghosts especially looked incredibly good.

As for Animal Crossing, you underestimate how much people WANTED that date. Every Animal Crossing fan I know has touted that as a brilliant ending to the Direct as they got confirmation that their favourite franchise was coming to the Switch. That's all they wanted, and most of the games in this Direct were for 2019 to be fair.

Not every Direct needs to end in a bang or with a massive sudden shocking groundbreaking reveal - As with Smash Bros, the last reveal isn't always the most earth-shattering.

Flynn.Scifo

Smash Ace
As for Animal Crossing, you underestimate how much people WANTED that date. Every Animal Crossing fan I know has touted that as a brilliant ending to the Direct as they got confirmation that their favourite franchise was coming to the Switch. That's all they wanted, and most of the games in this Direct were for 2019 to be fair.
Being an Animal Crossing maniac myself I confirm we've been waiting for info about AC on switch desperately.

Last edited:

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
Luigi's Mansion has never been the most graphically pleasing series. But given it's not coming out until 2019 and they clearly just wanted to make sure we knew it was coming, I think it's fine for the point in development it's at. The ghosts especially looked incredibly good.

Not every Direct needs to end in a bang or with a massive sudden shocking groundbreaking reveal - As with Smash Bros, the last reveal isn't always the most earth-shattering.
Yeah, Luigi's mansion 3 still looks like a badly ported 3DS game. I'm not in agreement on that.

As for animal crossing NEEDING that date. Meh, maybe fans needed the date. But we're people really thinking Animal Crossing wasn't coming sooner? It's last entry sold about 10 Mil.

And no matter if it's hype or not, it's still a ****ing lazy announcement when you could easily put some gameplay in there.

Of course, perhaps Animal Crossing felt more like an opener, because I don't think it's boring, somber mood is really a bang. And I don't think it EVER will be.

Xenigma

Smash Lord
NNID
Xenigma
Yeah, Luigi's mansion 3 still looks like a badly ported 3DS game. I'm not in agreement on that.

As for animal crossing NEEDING that date. Meh, maybe fans needed the date. But we're people really thinking Animal Crossing wasn't coming sooner? It's last entry sold about 10 Mil.

And no matter if it's hype or not, it's still a ****ing lazy announcement when you could easily put some gameplay in there.

Of course, perhaps Animal Crossing felt more like an opener, because I don't think it's boring, somber mood is really a bang. And I don't think it EVER will be.
I mean, Smash was first revealed at the end of a Direct earlier this year with no title, no gameplay, and only 2018 as a date. Even if you argue the Smash trailer was more hype, it's basically what they just did with this Animal Crossing reveal.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I really really doubt we will get stages for established series or it would have already been announced along their character reveal. K.Rool didn't get any stage and even if Dixie drops as an Echo / clone I doubt she'll get a stage since non of the echoes and not even Isabelle got one.
I think there are definitely characters from existing franchises that I could see coming with a new stage.

Incineroar for example. I think it's fairly notable that we don't have a Sun & Moon stage yet, I won't be at all surprised if we get an Alola stage alongside Incineroar.

The same goes for Elma, if she's revealed I would expect us to get a Xenoblade Chronicles X stage. (especially since we only have one Xenoblade Chronicles stage, I'd expect us to get one more....I could still see that happening even if Elma isn't a playable fighter)

That said I don't think characters like Dixie Kong, Bandana Dee, Shadow, Ken, Skull Kid etc would be likely to get a stage.

Last edited:

XenoWarriorX

Smash Champion
I mean, Smash was first revealed at the end of a Direct earlier this year with no title, no gameplay, and only 2018 as a date. Even if you argue the Smash trailer was more hype, it's basically what they just did with this Animal Crossing reveal.
Meh.

Animal Crossing doesn't invoke same emotions that Smash can.
But whatever. This is ****ing opinions anyway. So it's not like anyone here will change their minds about anything.

Last edited:

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
Hasn't he had just a little under smash 4's dev time with this? He's also not building it from scratch
While I'm not sure on specifics other than the aforementioned of 4 DLC stopping abruptly and ending as it did, could have been a sign that the focus was shifting to Ultimate.

But I think working on one game vs two (especially when one is a handheld and Sakurai was adamant the roster and assists were the same) has it's benefits. The most obvious is all cut characters being something feasible that Sakurai was able to accomplish. Assists have gotten an upgrade in both the number and ones like Alucard fuctioning almost like a playble character. Bringing stages back across all games and giving them enhanced looks, new game modes and battle otpions etc. it's hard to believe that the one main selling point of Smash, new characters, will be given the least attention over everything else.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I don't know much about Golden Sun, but does Garet have the potential to be an echo fighter or his abilities too different?

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero

Didn't he say in an interview that they were still adding new tracks? I suppose it's possible that it's one of those things that can still be worked on as they get closer to release so it may have changed a bit during these last few months.

We don't know how far in advance these directs get recorded so I guess it's possible that the "over 800" battle tracks thing is already out of date.

As for Final Fantasy music, if they can't get Final Fantasy music because it's expensive I'd like to see them get some other tracks from Square Enix instead. They could throw in some Octopath Traveler and Bravely Default songs for the Midgar stage.

I don't know much about Golden Sun, but does Garet have the potential to be an echo fighter or his abilities too different?
Garet could technically do most of what Isaac does....but Garet is more known for being a Mars adept, that's sorta like being a fire mage. So it wouldn't really look right if he was only using earth attacks.

Last edited:

Xithyl_kykorl

Smash Cadet
If there was to be an echo for Isaac, Felix would be the best bet. While technically both Isaac and Garet can use Venus (earth) and Mars (fire) psynergy, Isaac is usually attributed to Venus, and Garet to Mars. So possible, but unlikely. Felix on the other hand is a Venus Adept like Isaac, and their abilities for the most part mirror each other.

Last edited:

User Name String

Smash Apprentice
So I seem to have missed a lot. Honestly for the final 5 stages since Pokemon & Kirby haven't received new stages or revamped designs like Mario & Zelda so I bet they may have either new stages to reveal alongside new characters such as BD and Gen 7/8 Pokemon. After that we know that potentially that their could be one or two more third party characters and by extension stages. Beyond that is Rhythm Heven, Golden Sun, and other first party franchises that could compilation stages.

Confirmation

Smash Ace
Didn't he say in an interview that they were still adding new tracks? I suppose it's possible that it's one of those things that can still be worked on as they get closer to release so it may have changed a bit during these last few months.

We don't know how far in advance these directs get recorded so I guess it's possible that the "over 800" battle tracks thing is already out of date.

As for Final Fantasy music, if they can't get Final Fantasy music because it's expensive I'd like to see them get some other tracks from Square Enix instead. They could throw in some Octopath Traveler and Bravely Default songs for the Midgar stage.

Garet could technically do most of what Isaac does....but Garet is more known for being a Mars adept, that's sorta like being a fire mage. So it wouldn't really look right if he was only using earth attacks.
Sakurai's Famitsu article did indeed say that approx. 800 battle tracks wasn't a final number as there was some development going on.

Top Bottom